Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2010, 11:03   #76
Senior - BHPian

I am supposed to be a terribly slow driver. At least that is what my friends feel. I usually drive my zen and the Bull around 50-60.

Highways with my Scorpio are usually taken at no more than 80. Occasional stints above 90 depend on the state of the road.

Its not that I can't drive fast, but I just don't feel like it. In fact after learning, I lost the habit of fast driving within a month.

My dad always tells me its much tougher to drive slow than fast, but I guess its a matter of comfort.
Old 18th August 2010, 13:55   #77
gou
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
He once crossed 100 KPH on "the then empty EM ByPass, Kolkata" in the Padmini, when my brother had a high pressure in his stomac and had to use the loo as fast as possible.
This is funny. I remember facing a similar situation while driving myself when I was in 12th class and that was terrible. We were returning from Bhopal to Vidisha (home town) around 60 kms. Last 5 kms were really bad. I don't think I have ever rushed so fast to home after reaching
Old 18th August 2010, 14:54   #78
BHPian

@vasoo:

oh boy!!! Iam also struck with the same bug!!! I too drive my Swift D in the 50-60-70 kmph range off late.
But don't shrug it off saying its all about ageing please Its more of a sensible behavior coming into what we do in life.

And the advantages are plentiful:-
1) The Best mileage is acheived - Iam getting 20+ kmpl
2) No Need to worry about speed guns!!!
3) Car will last long - lesser strain on engine and body
4) Better equipped to spot a pothhole or a stray dog and steer away!
5) better road sense

Disadvantages:-
1) got to start 'earlier' from source towards destination
2) People who were used to driving fast tend to be 'too much' relaxed driving slow, in turn loosing concentration on road and ending up tail ending someone
3) feeling that u r getting old!

And to control my adrenaline rush when someone tries to provoke me => I just turn my head off and put my Music System on full volume (For the very purpose I have a bass tube, two amp's. overall a pretty gud music setup). lolz

PS: And yeah once in a week or so I drive fast, just for the sake of it !
Old 18th August 2010, 21:13   #79
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_sant2005 View Post
@vasoo:

oh boy!!! Iam also struck with the same bug!!! I too drive my Swift D in the 50-60-70 kmph range off late.
But don't shrug it off saying its all about ageing please Its more of a sensible behavior coming into what we do in life.

And the advantages are plentiful:-
1) The Best mileage is acheived - Iam getting 20+ kmpl
2) No Need to worry about speed guns!!!
3) Car will last long - lesser strain on engine and body
4) Better equipped to spot a pothhole or a stray dog and steer away!
5) better road sense

2) People who were used to driving fast tend to be 'too much' relaxed driving slow, in turn loosing concentration on road and ending up tail ending someone

And to control my adrenaline rush when someone tries to provoke me => I just turn my head off and put my Music System on full volume (For the very purpose I have a bass tube, two amp's. overall a pretty gud music setup). lolz

PS: And yeah once in a week or so I drive fast, just for the sake of it !
The advantages are absolutely correct. If you maintain 80 throughout and able to negotiate comfortably without slowing down much (need to bit more experienced on this) you will reach within 15 min of the previous driver who has done the same stretch at 100.

The reason - he has to be extremely alert and brake more and change gears whereas you are constant in your 80 and maintain throughout.
Less tension & much more relaxed..

We see lot of people who enjoy driving slow and still make it but some do not religiously follow in India whereas in abroad we are forced to follow due to their traffic laws/penalties, infrastructure, technology and those countries are able to achieve this efficiently. Hope we also catch them soon

Last edited by RGK : 18th August 2010 at 21:14.
Old 18th August 2010, 21:24   #80
BHPian

Once in every week, I used to ride my Honda Unicorn slowly. I have tried once driving slowly with Tata Indigo CS on a return from Thanjavur to Chennai, my family members were quite puzzled, because I used to squeeze all the power out of the engines by revving them hard. But that day I was slow because something struck in my mind that what's the point in overtaking everyone on road and fretting and fuming when some powerful cars overtake me in silence. There is always a man ahead of me and behind me. I simply step off the ego ladder
Old 19th August 2010, 18:05   #81
Senior - BHPian

I normally dont drive very fast - driving in the twisties in North Kerala doesnt give me much options to go fast. But I love throwing my Santro around the corners, angering my wife no end sometimes. However recently I made a trip from Quilandy (20kms north of Calicut) to Palakkad, a distance of 160km in 2-1/2 hrs, without the corner craving antics i liked. My wife slept through the entire journey which started at 5:15 in the morning. I discovered that there is equal fun in easing through the corners instead of reducing a gear and gunning out of them and I can actually take time to look around at the scenery, and also the co-passenger hardly feels the journey. I've not checked the fuel consumption, but am sure it would have been good
Old 19th August 2010, 18:16   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@vasoo:

Well, regarding "having to start early" is a debatable point in our roads. I have seen that unless the distance involved is significant (300+ kms) and roads are excellent 4 lane roads with less traffic for more than 80% of the route, the actual difference you make in timing is less than half hour, which is not really worth the pleasures that we lose due to fast driving. And when you have to cross towns and villages all the difference you made in good roads gets equalized irrespective of whether you drive a Nano or a 7 series. In fact a Nano may cross such places faster than the other.
Old 19th August 2010, 18:43   #83
BHPian

My dad has commented (every time we are on a highway) why I dont travel fast.
Personally, I prefer keeping the 70 - 90 range on highways and 40 - 60 in the city. But again, there are limitations in the city. One cannot go too fast or too slow.
Old 19th August 2010, 23:53   #84
BHPian

When I was in college, I enjoyed driving with friends at 15-20 kmph around girl's hostel
Old 20th August 2010, 11:00   #85
BHPian

I am a very slow/sedate driver. I rarely touch 100kmph even on GQ. My highway speeds are 70-90 and in town speeds are usually around 40-50 kmph. In residential areas, the speeds are still lower.

The advantage is lesser gear changes, lesser braking, lesser honking. My mom could even sleep in the back seat of a '96 model M800 (with coil spring susp?). Other advantages include higher mileage, lesser wear and tear and ofcourse lower blood pressure. You also provide yourself with a greater margin to nullify the effect of the errors of other ruthless drivers.

Ofcourse my driving takes longer and everyone in the family tags me as 'slow'.
Old 20th August 2010, 17:20   #86
gou
BHPian

Quote:
@vasoo:
This is the same problem I face while driving slow. Because of this 'too much' relaxed driving I feel I am more prone to accidents. But still I like to drive slow when I am chatting with my wife or I feel the need for change (in driving style). Otherwise I think I drive fast.
Old 20th August 2010, 17:20   #87

Ha ha ha I really did not know such people apart from me existed. I too am a very relaxed driver. I start for office quite early in the morning too, so there's hardly any traffic or people hoinking you to go faster. My mum and dad like my driving, but my friends get fed up

Most Viewed