Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2010, 18:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Driving slow - Do you enjoy it?

Off late, I have started enjoying slow driving on good roads! Not sure if this is related to quick aging. I just love cruising at about 50 kmph on GQ type roads. I love the relaxed, non-rushed feeling, peace of mind, silence, outside weather etc. Even though I prefer to do this while driving alone, I enjoy this while driving with my family as well. Keep the windows rolled down if the weather permits, put some soft music, sip coffee/soft drinks, eat small snacks, talk a lot and drive!

Long time back, an uncle of mine used to drive very slow at about 35-40 kmph in an Amby. I don't think he would have ever crossed 50 in his entire life. I used to hate travelling with him even though he used to be a very entertaining talker. He packs his car with goodies like chocolates, fruits, books, toys etc to keep us happy. He was so careful and slow in driving that he almost stops the car if a vehicle comes in the opposite side even in a two lane road. Of course in those days traffic was much less in the roads.

Does anyone enjoy slow driving here?
Old 6th August 2010, 18:18   #2
BHPian

Sometimes, like one out of fifty times. Usually when low on fuel.
Old 6th August 2010, 18:22   #3
Senior - BHPian

I usually drive slow (like I can help it in BLR or USA), except sometimes on the highways. So I won't really know. But I know what you mean. When I was in my teens, I used to rip the Yaam 100 and then sometime later it felt really nice to ride slow and let others pass too It is a pleasant and different feeling.
Old 6th August 2010, 18:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

To be precise, it very much depends upon situation. When fresh for a journey reasonable speed is what I drive with. But after around 500-600 kms., higher speeds are uncomfortable as fatigue sets in. At that point of time a steady cruise of 80-90 helps.

But at the end of the day, I love to drive fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
When I was in my teens, I used to rip the Yaam 100 and then sometime later it felt really nice to ride slow and let others pass too It is a pleasant and different feeling.
I ride in similar manner. Its fun, real fun!
Old 6th August 2010, 18:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

I love this thread

I love driving slow - Speed varies between 40-60 KPH in 3rd / 4th.

My dad loves driving slow - speed varies between 40-50 KPH in 4th (he always forgets to shift to 5th) - i doubt if he has ever used 5th in the Getz.

He once crossed 100 KPH on "the then empty EM ByPass, Kolkata" in the Padmini, when my brother had a high pressure in his stomac and had to use the loo as fast as possible.
Old 6th August 2010, 21:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

People who haven't tried driving slow are missing out on something truly amazing.
I drive slow 99% of the time. I usually stick to the speed of 70-80 in 5th gear. It is a great feeling to drive at a sedate pace on good roads. I usually travel between Bangalore and Mysore. The roads are good and traffic is moderate at times.
There is no stress on the car or yourself. The time taken for the journey exceeds by max 15-20 mins compared to driving like your A** is on fire. Also the fuel savings is great. In my zen, if I drive between 100-120 speeds on the same road from my parents house in mysore to my place in Bangalore(which is exactly 151kms), I get a mileage figure of around ~17kms. If I drive at speeds between 70-80, I get mileage figure of ~22kms. I have verified this figures many times. At current petrol prices thats a savings on more 100Rs one way. Since I usually keep up my time, I hardly find a reason a reason to drive fast.
Old 6th August 2010, 21:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Yes, but not as slow as 50 kmph! I like to keep the engine rpm in the comfort cruise range.
Old 6th August 2010, 21:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
I When I was in my teens, I used to rip the Yaam 100 and then sometime later it felt really nice to ride slow and let others pass too It is a pleasant and different feeling.
and then speed up again, only to slow down later. I know your kind just kidding.

I like to drive slow on interesting and twisted roads, playing john denver mostly. It gets boring on straight interstate highways though.
Old 6th August 2010, 22:34   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

While driving on Highways i love driving at moderate speeds(Close to 90-100), I push my car just for small bursts only to get rid of the laziness and raise my alertness levels.
Old 6th August 2010, 23:51   #10
BHPian

I try and drive slow leave early giving enough time to travel to the destination and that's when I enjoy slow drives. Having said that, it is once in a blue moon that I have ample time to reach my destination.

Of course, I have driven slowly n number of times before marriage when I used to go to my GF's place to pick her up. Coz I knew I would have to wait for her no matter what time I reached.
Old 7th August 2010, 00:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

I do this normally at late night drives(solo). It's amazing! I really love it.
Old 7th August 2010, 00:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

I drive at the speed of 80-90. In comparison with other cars on the High way my grand daughter says that I drive slow. But I enjoy this speed. I feel the car is under full control and the FE is great. I reached the destinations in time. I always start my journey around 4.00 Am on long drive.
Old 7th August 2010, 01:22   #13
Senior - BHPian

when i used to own the ikon 1.6 i used to drive slow in the 70's range. knowing that there is a lot of reserve power is a boon. one tap of the accelerator and the car just takes off. good for those guys who think that they are in a superior car, teach them a lesson or two at times. plus the FE is great!!
Old 7th August 2010, 01:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

^^ 1.6 was the actual Jost machine. The current one on the ROCAM is Josh minus 0.3 Liter.
Old 7th August 2010, 03:48   #15
BHPian

I used to be a High Speed Driver, who has scared most friends, been done extreems in motorcycle, and did much of speeding in Maruti till 5 yrs back.
I remember, all stuff from dashboard went outside when i used to turn.

But now I hardly drive above 50, Unless I am on a Highway with long way to go.

I love the steady and

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks