Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2010, 10:36   #1
BHPian

Radio Taxi Service - Deficient Services

Hi all,

Recently I had a bad experience with the Radio Taxi service from Easycabs in Bangalore. Had booked the taxi from the call centre and they promptly sent me an SMS msg 5 mins later and gave the name and number of the driver. I had booked 2 hours prior to pick up time in order to avoid unnecessary delays.... And I fell right into it. Half hour prior to pick up time, I try calling the number provided and it wasn't an existing number! I call back to Easycabs call centre just to be told that the booking was cancelled! 2 shocks in 5 mins! I have had fairly good experience earlier with Easycabs, so I gave them another chance and booked again. I promptly got another SMS with the driver name and number, and this time it was a wrong number! So I call back to Easycabs to verify this and they gave me a 3rd number. But this fellow is already on the way to the airport with another pickup!

This drove me crazy and I called up Meru, just to be told that they cannot provide me a ride in such a short notice. Man! Am I stuck or what? I asked a friend to drop me off at the nearest BIAL stop and I got to the airport just in time for check-in.

Just now, I came across this article on Hindustan Times and I wonder if there is such a complaint system in Bangalore for such deficient services. Is the number in the article meant for complaints from all over India?

Tell transport dept if radio cabs don?t show - Hindustan Times

After such an experience, I get worried about going to the airport every time that I need to.

Anyone else with such experience and what were the immediate alternatives used?

Prajwal
Old 13th October 2010, 10:54   #2
Senior - BHPian

Last week, I tried to call multiple call taxi services here for a trip within city and nobody seemed to be interested. It was not for a short trip either, going from HSR to Rajajinagar and back. I dont think call taxi service is really active for any trips other than to airport or back. Some operators were quoting atrocious prices such as Rs750 one way. Dont know what these guys are up to these days. Does anybody know of any good call taxi services in HSR area who are prompt charge as per their meters? I am not looking for luxury taxi guys such as Easycabs or Meru. I just need a basic Omni or Indica for regular city trips for my visiting relatives and friends.
Old 13th October 2010, 11:06   #3
BHPian

I have used both easycabs and meru dozens of times mostly for trips to the airport and Blr city but also some other trips and no problems so far. Barring a couple of exceptions, i book the cab the previous night so i know in advance. One should plan to reach airport atleast 2 hours in advance especially if the airport is so far away like in blr.
Old 13th October 2010, 11:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

Happened with me too. We booked Meru cab for a drop to Yesvantpur Rly station. Less than 30 minutes before pickup, they say they cant arrange a cab. Really had to scamper to find a local taxi!
Old 13th October 2010, 18:06   #5
NFS
BHPian

@ Chennai There are many Call Taxies - The one which is fairly popular with a lot of cars (drivers claim there are around 4000) is FASTTRACK. Many a times I had to fight with the call center guys for not promptly arriving and picking up. If we book for indica, they will send an Omni, and if you want Omni (when you travel with more luggage), they will send you an Indica. Drivers are arrogant and they look at how to loot you.

Also I will not tarnish them completely, because many a times (many many times), I had been serviced promptly with excellent, helpful, careful, well spoken drivers.

Here is a recent incident - From my house to Airport - Booked well in advance - Car arrived 45mins before - Driver started the meter and the arguments of what time the car was supposed to come - With all these I was dropped off at the airport and the meter showed 195 something (<200). I paid Rs:200/- and the driver was happy.

On my return the next day, I saw the Fast Track counter inside the Airport itself. Stood in the Queue and was astonished to hear that from Airport back to my residence the Charge is Rs:450/- Flat (more than double). Asked them why, prompt came the reply "Government Approved Charges". So now the government too supporting such day light robbery. Walked out of the Airport - Took an Auto - Bargained for Rs:175 and gave him Rs:190 for bringing me home without much arguments and neat driving (always I announce that the extra money is for your good behavior and nice driving)

Loot is the way to go, I guess these days.

NFS
Old 14th October 2010, 13:58   #6
Senior - BHPian

@NFS

There is a pre-paid taxi counter at the airport. I've used only that. Always Fast Track charges very heavily for a trip from the airport to other places. These guys also charge more than the regular fare, but the loot is comparatively less. For a trip from Palavakkam to the airport by Fast track it is approximately 300. My sister had to pay 450 for airport to Palavakkam trip, while the prepaid guys charged us only 345.

Once we had to drop one of her friends at the airport, the Fast track driver was good, but the Indica was in a pathetic condition. I felt as though it would collapse any moment - on getting out, i noticed that its rear wheels were wobbling and the front tyres were devoid of any sign of tread.

Now there is another one called Car Club. Their vehicles are much better maintained and drivers are also very courteous. Our company generally hires their taxis.

I avoid the 3 wheeled devils as much as possible. I don't want to risk my/my dear ones' life and property just to save 50 or 100 bucks. Not to mention the irritating noise they make. Taxis are at least covered.
Old 14th October 2010, 14:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
After such an experience, I get worried about going to the airport every time that I need to.

Anyone else with such experience and what were the immediate alternatives used?
BIAL Volvo bus is best option for reaching the Bangalore Airport.

The bus frequency is good, it runs fast and charges much lesser than a taxi.

Rohan
Old 14th October 2010, 14:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Coverage is an issue though. For example, there is no BIAL volvo that plies on the Bannerghatta Road stretch. There used to be one, but it has been discontinued. JP Nagar (Shoppers Stop) is the last stop now for those who want to go further down BG road.
Old 14th October 2010, 14:53   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post

The bus frequency is good, it runs fast and charges much lesser than a taxi.

Rohan
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Coverage is an issue though. For example, there is no BIAL volvo that plies on the Bannerghatta Road stretch. There used to be one, but it has been discontinued. JP Nagar (Shoppers Stop) is the last stop now for those who want to go further down BG road.

I agree Volvo is really good! For poor coverage one trick you can do is - hire a cab from the point you alight at by making a phone call asking for pickup around the ETA when you board the bus. I would any day pay an extra 100 for a comfy cab rather than haggle with the auto rickshaw drivers who are nothing but thugs, esp during odd hours.

Regards
Old 14th October 2010, 15:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
I agree Volvo is really good! For poor coverage one trick you can do is - hire a cab from the point you alight at by making a phone call asking for pickup around the ETA when you board the bus. I would any day pay an extra 100 for a comfy cab rather than haggle with the auto rickshaw drivers who are nothing but thugs, esp during odd hours.

Regards
Well, anyway it takes 1.5 hours on a good day to get to my place from the Airport. If i am returning from a grueling 20-24 hr journey, which involves 16 hours of flying time sitting cramped in Economy class, i dont think i would want to put any more breaks in the journey home, specially one that involves transferring luggage!
Old 14th October 2010, 15:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

Even these Radio call taxi drivers were careless and accident prone. Hardly these guys gets sleep and working almost 18 hours a day to pay for rent.

One week back one of my known person met with accident in Meru Cab. He was sitting at back while coming back to home from BIAL around 3 AM in the morning.

Driver did not see stationary truck near Hennur Main Road and could not avoid hitting stationary truck. Driver at the last time swerved to right but it directly impacted passenger sitting behind and he was severely hit on his head. 3 days back he died after being in comma for 3 days in Columbia Asia Hospital. Driver is admitted in Nimhans and he is safe.

Visit any Mahindra or Tata Service station you can find so many Meru and EasyCabs cars with accident.

Guys be careful with these radio Taxi wallah. Always insist them drive within speed of 60 KMPH.
Old 17th October 2010, 17:56   #12
mxx
BHPian

I have always had problems with Easycabs, they are never on time.
Never faced delays with Meru, but it is difficult to get a cab from Meru unless you book way in advance..
But have to say, these 2 have the most reasonable rates(metered). The other cabs have even worse service at high rates
Old 17th October 2010, 18:26   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Does anybody know of any good call taxi services in HSR area who are prompt charge as per their meters? I am not looking for luxury taxi guys such as Easycabs or Meru. I just need a basic Omni or Indica for regular city trips for my visiting relatives and friends.

Just googled and found this. The reviews in the site seems to be genuine as it is spread over a period of three years. I have not tried their services.

Exon City Taxi & Car Rentals, HSR Layout, Bangalore | Exon City Taxi & Car Rentals, Taxi & Cab in Bangalore - Reviews - asklaila
Old 17th October 2010, 20:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

I never had issues with going to airport as most taxi operators are more than happy to take anybody so far. I have good experience with Celcabs as well. On return trip, they charge only Rs 11 per km which is usually better than most others. They also have something called BMTC connect service which basically provides the last mile connectivity between the nearest bus stop and your home. See the link here.

My problem is getting taxis for other local trips which used to be pretty good earlier with operators such as Spot Taxi and the likes. Now it looks like they have discontinued the service as any calls to those numbers are never answered. Looking for a reliable local taxi service provider.
Old 18th October 2010, 13:48   #15
NFS
BHPian

Will try CarClub next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversteed View Post
@NFS
I avoid the 3 wheeled devils as much as possible. I don't want to risk my/my dear ones' life and property just to save 50 or 100 bucks. Not to mention the irritating noise they make. Taxis are at least covered.
I agree, and will look for hiring a car next time onwards.

Thanks for the lead to CarClub, will try them next time

Even the prepaid Taxi was talking about 400/375 to my place, where in my journey to the airport was charge only 200Rs. My point here is the Government themselves are permitting these taxi fellow to charge extra.

As per the Fast Track Taxi - Journey from my Residence to the Airport was with 14mins of waiting + 100 Rs for the first 5 kms + 10 Rs every subsequent kilometer - Total charge on the meter 195 (where I paid 200).

Now on the return (just because the cab was hired from the Airport), why should one pay the double? They call it "Government Approved rate"

Is Government Approving such Day Light Robbery?

NFS

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks