Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2010, 18:53   #31
Team-BHP Support

In Aksahy's case it wasn't a truck, but a dumper which is on very short runs with young drivers who have to do very short commutes and some are paid with the number of 'dumps' they make. (Sorry, couldn't resist )

I just wish the bugger was caught and the construction company was made to pay up for Aksahy's losses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987
1) (this is something a truck driver once told me) He said most Indian highways (2 lane ones esp) are sloping at either ends. Due to this, truck drivers don't get complete control during steering and also due to the amount of weight they transport, it causes uneven wear and tear of tyres.
I think it is designed that way so that during monsoons, there is no water stagnant on the middle of road and is dispersed this way more effectively.
(I might be wrong though)
Old 7th December 2010, 19:03   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I think it is designed that way so that during monsoons, there is no water stagnant on the middle of road and is dispersed this way more effectively.
(I might be wrong though)
Yes, that is the case.
But that adversely affects the maneuverability of heavy vehicles; and the uneven wear and tear of tyres.
Old 7th December 2010, 19:22   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
People who have spend considerable hours on our highways will vouch for the OPs views.

Completely agree. The National Permit (NP) trucks are a pretty disciplined lot on the Highways, the respect the road and it's users.
Old 7th December 2010, 19:53   #34
BHPian

My observation is related to where the truck is from. While doing a drive in the night, you'll see trucks from all over the country - these are the ones that follow good number of road /traffic laws. They know in case things go south in case of any accident, regardless of fault they will be at the receiving end. Compare with the local lorries, municipal trucks who act as if they own the road.

Also these truckers take serious care of their transport, most often you'll see working tail-lights and with enough reflective stripes to identify them from a distance.
Old 7th December 2010, 20:14   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
My observation is related to where the truck is from. While doing a drive in the night, you'll see trucks from all over the country - these are the ones that follow good number of road /traffic laws. They know in case things go south in case of any accident, regardless of fault they will be at the receiving end. Compare with the local lorries, municipal trucks who act as if they own the road.

Also these truckers take serious care of their transport, most often you'll see working tail-lights and with enough reflective stripes to identify them from a distance.
Yes, I have seen many trucks with a bulb attached at the rear so vehicles behind them know how long the truck is.

I'm not sure about this but I heard fitting those Triangular reflective hazard sign was made mandatory by RTOs.

I do not agree with functioning tail lights though.
Old 7th December 2010, 20:23   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

I have had pleasant experiences with truckers on the old two-lane highways, which I believe they are most suited for. But I agree with @sgiitk- put them on an expressway (or even a 4 laner) and they are at a loss! The Lonavala stretch of Mumbai_Pune expressway is where you can see truckers at their absolute worst. One of them nearly sideswiped me off the road last night. Luckily I don't drive crazy fast so was able to stop but my poor lil girl in the back seat ended up on the floor of the car! Not cool.
Old 7th December 2010, 20:29   #37
BHPian

I would agree that truck drivers are gentlemen, barring few exceptions. When stuck in bad traffic I tend to use a truck as godfather (baap) and patiently follow behind in the hope of coming out of that jam with minimal tension. This works most of the times, except when some crazy car driver tries to squeeze in between me and my temporary godfather!
Old 7th December 2010, 21:26   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

+1 to the topic starter.

I have also found the truck drivers far more civilized than other vehicles, especially, buses, which has almost the same dimensions.

They have proved that experience, responsibility and maturity can indeed translate into safe driving, and safe roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
They hog the right lane on an express-way, and do not move aside to the left expecting you to overtake from the left (most unsafe, and illegal).
True!. In my recent trip tru Mysore- Banglore highway, it was some kind of "rule" to truck drivers, to not drive in the left lane.

but as libranof1987 mentioned

Quote:
1) (this is something a truck driver once told me) He said most Indian highways (2 lane ones esp) are sloping at either ends. Due to this, truck drivers don't get complete control during steering and also due to the amount of weight they transport, it causes uneven wear and tear of tyres.
Also, the right most lane is the most stable lane, ie, no disturbances of two-three wheelers, etc. These drivers travel 100's of kms and they do need the most uncluttered lane.

We cant help it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajjt View Post
If then how many of these gentlemen will dip their headlights on seeing a vehicle from opposite side? Mostly are armed with 4X100/130W and all are on high beam Is this not to be counted on good driving habits?
Well, during my 'youthful' days, we once chased a truck which didnt dip for us, and even pushed us off the road. Well, after pulling the driver out of the truck only he said - Saar, there is only one switch for light ON/OFF. No switch for dim. . The condition of the vehicle was really pathetic.

Apart from this sajit, just like condor mentioned, the problem is universal.
Old 7th December 2010, 22:41   #39
Senior - BHPian

and its not just driving. While bringing my car here, my friends got stuck at the wrong toll gate amongst a bunch of truckers. One of the truckers asked him where he was headed. When he found out, he told them that they were on the wrong gate, and he and a bunch of trucks behind them moved back so that they could go back to the divider and onto the right gate. I doubt if that would have happened amongst even a bunch of educated drivers not unlike us!
Old 7th December 2010, 23:51   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
...after pulling the driver out of the truck only he said - Saar, there is only one switch for light ON/OFF. No switch for dim
Still, they sometimes turn OFF their headlamps - at least for a few valuable seconds. And most of the trucks that do this, would be battered and old. Newer ones at least in my experience, do dip their headlamps. Like someone mentioned, I also feel that trucks from the north are more disciplined on the roads down south. Perhaps the otherway is also true. Most of the National Permit trucks that I find on NH-47 oblige to our signals and they signal us to overtake if it's safe for us to do so.
Old 8th December 2010, 10:43   #41
BHPian

Re: Why are Most Highway Truckers such gentlemanly drivers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
So, as per your own figures, the ratio is same for both car drivers & truckers. In the city, how many bikers & Tata Ace drivers use the low beam ? The problem you have mentioned is an universal one, and not restricted to truckers.

City buses are running on 4x lights. Even Volvo's - which already have good headlights.

And if I were to drive regularly on highways at night, the first mod I would do is get myself a pair of goood aux lights. Which will be far more effective than the high-power ones you have mentioned about.

About the overtaking problem, even busses do it. So again, it is not restricted to truckers.

Let's appreciate them where it is due. No one is perfect. Even we do some brash driving now & then.

Dear, bikes and Tata ace's got good lights but they are not doing that much damage like trucks and other vehicle does with 4X130W/6X130W.
Old 8th December 2010, 11:16   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't know if this is the right thread, but on the Mum-Pun expressway, 90% of the trucks that run do not have functioning rear lights. This is utter insanity, especially since most of these are so dirty and unwashed that you don't see th truck till it is really close upfront. In such a situation, if a truck is in the fast lane (and a lot of them are), you have very little time to react as a driver coming up from behind one of these monsters. A couple of accidents recently reported on the e-way were precisely because of this.
I don't know why fleet owners are not penalised heavily for running trucks that don't have rear lights. It could be a great stream of revenue for the RTO, plus the downstream revenue to car shops everywhere for fitting these lights!
Old 8th December 2010, 12:37   #43
BHPian

All the reasons told for trucks sticking to the right lane seem to be logical. Why can't it be made mandatory? Make an exception to the rule that you must cross a vehicle on it's right, as far as trucks are concerned. That will solve all the problems. :-)

Murthy
Old 8th December 2010, 14:46   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
.. he and a bunch of trucks behind them moved back so that they could go back to the divider and onto the right gate.
If every one of us behaved like this, our cities would be far less crowded.

I too, had a similar experience few years back.

One of my friends had bought a new Optra Magnum, and we were on our way to Bangalore - tru - Wayanad. Due to low profiles, the car had already lost a tire on the Ghats, and my mother advised us not to travel during the night without a spare.

Well, the car being new, and the Wayanad-Bangalore route being familiar, we couldn't resist the urge and started the journey at 11:30PM.
Just after we entered the en route dense forest, there.. our tire again got punctured.

Time: 12:15AM, Venue: Just near a "No Parking, wild elephants crossing area" . Some Taxi Innovas and cars passed by, but if it weren't for a Trucker, I doubt I would be writing this post.

The trucker, picked up the tire/us, dropped us at the Kerela Sales Tax check post, waited for us till we found a puncture guy, patched up the tire, and dropped us back at the car, waited with Headlights ON for us to change tyres. All this free of cost!. Only after we insisted, did he accept 200Rs.

Even educated guys sometimes, fail to match this!
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2010, 15:12   #45
BANNED

I see an undercurrent that hogging the right lane is accepted by many. A dangerous practice irrespective of what we may say.

It is true that truckers are by and large better disciplined that the Buses, and (God help us Tempos.

I have an interesting observation on NH2 from Delhi to Kanpur. They will hog the rhs lane and even move further right to tell you to overtake from the wrong side. However, once they cross Etawah on way to Kanpur they will all of a sudden sometimes give way.

As for the ghats there are two problems - underpowered and overladen. Also, quite often the turning circles are not tight enough so they take to longer way round. I have seen this a lot on NH4 just outside Indore.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks