Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2012, 09:30   #46
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: The Antics of BMTC's Bus drivers, and what's being done to curb them

In the 1980's and 1990's in Madras, all motorists regardless of the type of vehicle they drove, had respect for the Traffic Police, because they were genuinely empowered and would not hesitate in "thunking" the wrong-doer with the baton as well as levy fines and generally enforce the law.
In Bangalore in 2012, all I can see is that they are enforcing the "Speed Limits" reasonably diligently. All other offenders committing all sorts of offences are allowed to go scot-free.
Karnataka has never had a good track record of an empowered police force largely on account of either too much interference or absolute apathy from the political class and bureaucracy. Plus, as far as I remember, Karnataka politics has been mostly of the "third class, corrupt, gangster or goonda variety which while indulging in all the goondaism, forgot to "govern". Madras on the other hand, while riddled with gangsterism, thieving and all the rest of the corruption led behaviour, at least took a little time out to "govern" as well.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th December 2012, 10:17   #47
BHPian

And then introduce two security guards for each camera, so that they don't soon end up as autorickshaw hood ornaments or in Burma Bazaar
When they can't even maintain the grabrails properly, will cameras survive in our buses?
Old 28th December 2012, 10:55   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
And then introduce two security guards for each camera, so that they don't soon end up as autorickshaw hood ornaments or in Burma Bazaar
When they can't even maintain the grabrails properly, will cameras survive in our buses?
Most buses still have their wheels and bulbs in place, a few don't. A few cameras may disappear but the benefits far outweigh the risks. I'm sure they'll install a mesh or something around it.
Old 28th December 2012, 12:04   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Most buses still have their wheels and bulbs in place, a few don't. A few cameras may disappear but the benefits far outweigh the risks. I'm sure they'll install a mesh or something around it.
Wheels are tough to remove when the bus is in motion and bulbs/tubelights are low cost DC lights that are of not much use outside. Cameras on the other hand will fetch a good resale value.

Moreover, I am not really convinced what benefit will these cameras provide in crime prevention. In a normal crowded bus, chances of getting any useful footage is very low and when the bus is not crowded, instances of crimes involving women is quite low as the seating areas for women is reserved.

Regards,
Old 28th December 2012, 12:18   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
Wheels are tough to remove when the bus is in motion and bulbs/tubelights are low cost DC lights that are of not much use outside. Cameras on the other hand will fetch a good resale value.

Moreover, I am not really convinced what benefit will these cameras provide in crime prevention. In a normal crowded bus, chances of getting any useful footage is very low and when the bus is not crowded, instances of crimes involving women is quite low as the seating areas for women is reserved.

Regards,
Unless the footage is going to be watched real time, it'll not help prevent crime, but can sure help with identifying the criminals and provide evidence to put them behind bars.
Old 30th December 2012, 22:22   #51
BHPian

Crew of a BMTC Volvo bus misbehaved and manhandled two Bhutanese girls

I honestly can't imagine the rest of the passengers not offering to help when this happened; especially in an over crowded city like Bangalore where buses almost always run at capacity at all times during the day.
Old 14th January 2013, 09:39   #52
BHPian

The new TTMCs are another pain for riders and drivers of small hatches (at least). I pass by two TTMCs everyday and both are very close to busy intersections (Banashankari and Kengeri). The buses block the roads almost standing perpendicular to the direction of the lane even after the red lights come on in their direction. Effectively, I have to wait for 3 to 4 green flashes for my turn to pass the junction, before the construction of these, I could always pass the lights on the first chance. This adds 10-15 minutes of delays to my commute if I leave home early. If I leave home late, this gets lengthened upto 30 minutes because of all the office cabs and college buses.

That was just the time aspect of things. These bus drivers try to overtake each other on the turns leading out of the TTMCs and will scare even the most observant of riders. They dont mind nudging other vehicles to pass their partners in crime.
Old 20th March 2013, 16:23   #53
BHPian

It looked like the cab drivers got in to the seat of BMTC buses these days.?
Old 12th April 2013, 11:16   #54
BHPian

While BMTC buses are a foregone conclusion , have any of you observed the IT company buses and how they are driven? We live in Sarjapur road-ORR area and its at my own peril I venture out between 6-8PM. The Wipro buses are driven with such careless apathy that the rest of the commuters run for their lives seeing this madly driven vehicle bearing down on them. It's an absolute shame that these companies don't monitor any of this. I am convinced that the problems of ORR, especially the Bellandur - KR Puram stretch is mostly due to these idiots. And as someone pointed out earlier in this thread, the bus stops every 200 metres or so to drop off someone. Add the Sumos that are used to drop off shift employees and you've got the perfect recipe for a traffic jam.
Old 12th April 2013, 17:30   #55
Senior - BHPian

This is from a third party experience. BMTC will pay for damages only if their buses come into contact with your vehicle from the front or back. Any side impact is not their problem. Should no longer surprise you why BMTC drivers don't have to worry from a legal perspective if the bus brushes your car from the side. They don't have to pay anything from their pocket, the driver won't loose his job or license, BMTC are not accountable.

Its probably scarier with private chaps like SRS and Infants.
Old 28th April 2013, 22:18   #56
BHPian

I have travelled on BMTC/KSRTC buses for 4 hours a day in the city close to 11 years and then have had to contend with them as a road user - a few years as a gingerly sitting Activa rider, whose sole aim was to get home alive and sometimes as a car driver ready to give it back to them - in whatever way I could.

First the conductors : Ask school kids if any bus stops at the bus stop ( especially if school kids are there at the stop ). Do we not frequently see kids having to run a few metres to get to the bus, bag and baggage ? And when they get in, they are pushed, shoved and yelled at for carrying big bags. They are treated shabbily - because they travel on a "pass" - as if they came for free. I was even ridiculed that "We keep saying 'pass' 'pass' during school days and say 'fail' 'fail' after the exam results are out".

Then the drivers : There's a joke in Bangalore that "every dangerously driving BMTC driver has a woman behind him" - this refers to the small '1 person' gap between the driver-seat's backrest and a grill that used to be a good two feet from it and women being the occupiers have the front half of the bus, 1-2 of them used find the little space to stand there.

Volvo buses maybe the pride of Bangalore, but doing acrobatics inside when its crowded when they brake hard or accelerate suddenly is no joke. You never know when you will get slapped by that big smartphone toting corporate girl for getting too close to her, for no fault of yours I mean. Falling on someone is scarier than falling for someone, er.

As a car driver, I see them as monsters with extra ordinary control that can take you and your puny vehicle down with a single swipe. The key problem is that they have a "me first" approach always ( not very different to say car drivers in Bangalore, yes, the tie-wearing IT guy or the cute family with 'prince's and 'princess'es on board ), just that given their size and speed, the effect of getting swiped at can be devastating.

But if someone wins the prize, it's the private buses ( not the long distance ones ), I'm referring to buses that ply say KGF-Blr or Chintamani-Blr etc etc - if killing was not a crime, the dekha-tujhe-to-yaar-dil-mein-baji-guitar honking drivers and the shout-your-lungs-out, pan chewing ( and spitting ) conductors and the urchins with disheveled hair that keep whistling and shouting 'righ ya! righ ya' doubling up as cleaners - they would all be ground to a pulp by the passengers. (Why do they *only* play telugu movies at top volume, God knows)

The KSRTC buses sometimes provide enough titillation to make an adolescent go red in the face. There was this driver who was flirting with a woman sitting close by while driving at 80+ on his Hino engine red KSRTC bus - they were busy talking double entendres - words that meant both a bus part and something else ( let me 'steer' clear of infractions ).

Oh well, I think I will save the"new-age Indian Author book" style titillating details for an entry on my personal blog. Who knows, I might just find a publisher.

Last edited by airguitar : 28th April 2013 at 22:29.
airguitar is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2013, 12:02   #57
Senior - BHPian

I drive via Varthur to Whitefield everyday. Those who have taken this road would know that the road along the shores of Varthur lake is narrow and winding.

For some time, I have been observing that the BMTC buses that come from Varthur and go towards Hope Farm (routes 328B, 328H etc), stop on that narrrow and winding stretch. And they are always filled with people. Now I know why. When they reach Varthur Kodi (near Forum Value Mall), the ticket inspector gets in. The buses get crowded at Varthur. If the bus is full and the conductor is not able to collect the ticket fare from everyone by then, even the conductor will have a fine imposed on himself.

So a simple solution: stop the bus in no man's land and ensure that everyone pays. But with so many tippers, tractors, buses and other vehicles using that road, who is going to help the blocked traffic? No one. All the vehicles have to just wait until the conductor has finished his job.
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2013, 14:23   #58
BHPian

BMTC has launched a new webiste http://mybmtc.com/ ; looks accurate on the timings and routes on offer from BMTC . I guess the complaints section on the site can be used to raise complaints being raised on this thread regarding BMTC buses.Not sure of the resolution timelines and mechanism.
Old 31st May 2013, 12:44   #59
BHPian

Since the time i moved to Bangalore in 2009, I have always had a problem with Volvo Buses. I don't know whether its the route I travel or whether there are just too many of these Volvo buses around, but I am bothered by them almost every day. The drivers expect that they have right of way, which includes pavements and opposite lanes. They don't give respect to any other road user. They will race, bully and force you into submission, even when you amble along peacefully.
Taking U-turns is a piece of cake for them. Of-course all the traffic behind will have to come to a stop for them, no matter which speed they are in. So does traffic in the opposite direction.
Why in good heavens are these drivers given these monsters without being taught how to drive?
I have learnt to live with them these days. Stay as far away from them. Slow down the moment you see them on your rear view mirror and stay in your lane for you never know which lane they will bounce to in the next second.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masin4 View Post
BMTC has launched a new webiste http://mybmtc.com/ ; looks accurate on the timings and routes on offer from BMTC . I guess the complaints section on the site can be used to raise complaints being raised on this thread regarding BMTC buses.Not sure of the resolution timelines and mechanism.
Knowing how they are, I don't think any amount of complaints will change the attitude of the drivers. But will put my thoughts in the site too. Would be happy if someone reads it at-least.

Last edited by ajmat : 31st May 2013 at 12:54.
Old 27th August 2013, 07:16   #60
BHPian

This is the exact reason why they drive like that. Give a child whatever he wants and his demands will keep increasing.

Do not give space to Volvo, trust me its just a scare tactics, hold your ground and they would not run over you. I had instances where a volvo literally chased me for few kms and pushed out but those are few, and you always have traffic police to complain. Take the time out to go to the nearest police station and complain or better take a video and upload to FB page.
sumannandy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks