Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Twilight Driving - When do you exactly switch on your headlights?
As soon as light starts fading away, regardless of street lights are on or not. 104 41.11%
After it becomes sufficiently dark, till then I use parking lights only. 116 45.85%
After it becomes sufficiently dark and if there is no street lights. 9 3.56%
I use it on only when I cannot see and off, until it becomes complete dark. 7 2.77%
After Sunset, regardless of the light availability. 17 6.72%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2011, 12:10   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Twilight driving - When exactly do you switch on your headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by swapitude View Post
among the 5 options what is the right time to turn on the lights..??
This is what exactly (or almost close) the poll is meant to bring out. As you can see, the first two are generally safe options, though the second option is not legal in some countries, for a reason.
And like Horabonny rightly said, in Twilight, your "visibility to others" is more important than your "ability" to see.

Last edited by RajaTaurus : 1st March 2011 at 12:13.
Old 1st March 2011, 17:02   #92
Senior - BHPian

I turn on parking lights as the day fades away and turn on headlights as soon as it becomes nearly dark. For example while driving in Delhi/Gurgaon, i turn on parking lights around 6:30 PM and turn on head lights around 6:50 PM (may vary as in summers the days are long and vice versa for winters). So voted for the second option.
Old 1st March 2011, 22:04   #93
BHPian

Majority of the cars nowadays, even the basic models do have fog lamps installed. The purpose of a fog lamp is not really to increase visibility for the driver but to notify the other drivers that a car is approaching. In my car for example the fog switch just doesn’t go on. It works only when my parking lights are on. So a decent approach would be to switch on your PL’s and fogs during dusk and dawn or other weather conditions similar to this. Once it goes dark, your headlights is a must. Dip lights whenever possible in city limits unless you really require high beam. The use of high beam cannot be declined on highways. As the saying goes, “Dip light, Save lives”

Last edited by aah78 : 1st March 2011 at 22:46. Reason: Text format tags removed.
Old 2nd March 2011, 01:26   #94
Team-BHP Support

I turn on parking lights as soon as it becomes even slightly difficult to read the speedo/tacho due to darkness. After that when it is a little darker I switch the headlights on.
Old 2nd March 2011, 01:42   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammy View Post
The purpose of a fog lamp is not really to increase visibility for the driver but to notify the other drivers that a car is approaching.
I doubt so. The purpose of a fog lamp is only to help increase visibility during heavy fog.
Old 17th April 2011, 00:12   #96
Senior - BHPian

Late evening: Parking lights
Twilight: Parking lights with fog lamps
After dark: Headlamps only sans parking lights

Also, like in Europe, I wish my Swift came with standard fit Daylight Running Lights (DRL). I'm aware that DRLs are more suited for low light conditions of Europe. Yet, I find that during day time, a car with its lamps turned on immediately catch my attention.
Old 17th April 2011, 00:49   #97
BHPian

I switch on the parking lights the moment it becomes slightly dark or 6pm (whichever is earlier). Switching on the headlight is only when it becomes difficult for me to see. The parking lights are meant for other people to see me.

When it comes to riding my bike, its straightaway the headlights. I skip the parking lights bit. The bikes are as it is very small so better make it very visible for the others. Why take an unnecessary risk?
Old 17th April 2011, 13:51   #98
BHPian

I installed DRL for my GT few days back. Not the Chinese LED strip, which makes the car look like a travelling circus advertisement, but the Philips DRL which is used as OE by most of automotive manufacturers.

Twilight driving - When exactly do you switch on your headlights-imag0.jpg

That is the twilight tool for me as of no, followed by the headlight at a later stage. Not using the fogs as of now, only if the weather condition calls for it.
Old 17th April 2011, 19:37   #99
Senior - BHPian

Actually, during twilight, I feel it is very ginger....i mean, headlights do not help as much as one may like and one wouldnt like to be in dark without atleast switching on parking lights. The only way is to ease off the gas pedal and be extra cautious.
Old 17th April 2011, 19:39   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I doubt so. The purpose of a fog lamp is only to help increase visibility during heavy fog.
I seriously doubt the utility of the OE fog lamps.
Old 17th April 2011, 19:43   #101
BHPian

My car doesnt have fog lights installed.So I dont really know the effectiveness of the lamps.However after reading the posts above I realized that the main purpose of these fogs are to alert other drivers about the presence of our car and not for the sake of our own visibility.
Regarding the head lamps I generally put on the parking lights when visibility is ok and limit the use of head lamps only when visibility is extremely low.Till that time road lamp posts suffice.I do this so that it doesnt reflect on the fellow drivers affecting their visibility.Please correct my practises if they are wrong.
Old 17th April 2011, 20:28   #102
BHPian

We need to understand that road conventions in India are quite different from the rest of the world. On single carriageway highways, for example, it is the norm to switch on your right turn signal to communicate to the vehicle behind that it is safe to pass. Similar conventions exist for other 'light' uses too. Simply going by what one feels is right or what the rules in other country say would not be prudent.

Twilight driving on single carriageway highways is a different ball game. In Bihar, for instance, I found out that most drivers delay switching on their headlights (the parking lights may be on). It may seem stupid, but in that topography not using the headlights during twilight is a good courtesy to the on-coming vehicle. I don't know what it is but the glare during twilight is much higher than that during complete darkness.

Another case in point is the use of hazards to signal going straight in an intersection. It may not be world practice. But, heck, it is almost universally followed in India. It does convey the intentions of the driver at the intersection. I think it works, and works well.

In the northern part of our country, using hazards during fog is standard practice. Fog is particularly dense there. It makes sense to light up you car like a Christmas tree. The driving conditions definitely are hazardous. It also makes sense to use hazards if you are unable to get up to speed on a highway. It lets the vehicle behind know that you are having trouble.

There cannot be any one rule for all situations. India is distinctly unique. And we have our own highway light conventions. If only more people were generous in their use of dippers I would have no reason to complain.
Old 17th April 2011, 23:52   #103
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellboy999 View Post
... However after reading the posts above I realized that the main purpose of these fogs are to alert other drivers about the presence of our car and not for the sake of our own visibility....
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyself View Post
I seriously doubt the utility of the OE fog lamps.
Cmon guys!!.. Fog lamps are definitely intended to improve drivers visibility.
Please let me know if not, why?. With ample documented proof.
Old 18th April 2011, 00:46   #104
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Cmon guys!!.. Fog lamps are definitely intended to improve drivers visibility.
Please let me know if not, why?. With ample documented proof.
Fog lamps are actually intended to improve the driver's visibility; hence the name "fog" lamps. But the bulbs provided in these fog lamps as OE do not serve the purpose.

The reason fog lamps are situated where they are is so that the multiple reflection a normal headlight beam would undergo does not hit the driver's eye.

Most of the north Indian vehicles have fog lights alright but they also use the proper fog lamp bulbs.

The fog lamps provided as OE are merely for aesthetics.
Old 18th April 2011, 02:51   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
... But the bulbs provided in these fog lamps as OE do not serve the purpose.

Most of the north Indian vehicles have fog lights alright but they also use the proper fog lamp bulbs...
NO - Its not the bulbs but the design that make fog lamps ineffective in some vehicles like the Verna.

Quote:
The fog lamps provided as OE are merely for aesthetics.
Not all OE fog lamps are ineffective. My IKON's server their purpose quite well.

Quote:
The reason fog lamps are situated where they are is so that the multiple reflection a normal headlight beam would undergo does not hit the driver's eye.
huh?. could you please elaborate?

As an additional note, I would like to mention that, Fog lamps in new gen vehicles, light up the portion nearest to the vehicle, there by aiding visibility in heavy fog. They are not yellow or colored, or intended to be, like olden times.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks