Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2011, 20:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fined 1000 rs for not smiling and talking to traffic cops and 50 rs for signal ju

I was once held by a traffic cop for jumping a signal. Actually the signal was changing from Green to Amber and I moved ahead. The cop signals me to stop whereas the other who did the same moved on without being stopped. Now this cop says that I jumped the signal and I said I didn't . We argued for whole 15 mins and I dared the cop to prove it with visual evidence. Meanwhile I took a snap of the cop on my mobile along with the badge no and in a good loud voice saud that I will be posting his pic on the internet with a copy to the Mumbai police (which I didn't have any). After 25 min episode I was asked to leave after the cop realized he's not going to get anything from me.
Finally I flashed a victory smile and moved on. To this day I remember the lost expression on the cop's face.
Old 5th April 2011, 21:47   #17
BHPian

Re: Fined 1000 rs for not smiling and talking to traffic cops and 50 rs for signal ju

Dear rajinibm, the one and only thing against your cousin brother and sister from the states is that they jumped a signal ( even if) at a very slow speed. Would they do that in the states? and would you go ask the cop about it? Come on man they jumped a signal, be happy they didn't harm themselves or other road users.

I would say thats not a high price. I would rather have a living, healthy cuz bro an sis that does not do such things in the future!

I do not remember the forum promoting jumping signals or is there a thread to that?
Old 5th April 2011, 22:07   #18
BANNED

^ Ah!! sense prevails.

I am happy they add rash driving and overspeeding to the jumping signal offense. Rs 100 for breaking the signal is a pittance anyways.

My rationale:

Rash driving: He is endangering others lives by breaking the signal. The person breaking the signal is apparently not aware of his surroundings that he misses a red light. That as per me is rash.

Overspeeding: He obviously was not in the correct speed to brake at the signal when it went red. Whatever speed he was in he was not in control of it (rash again) and neither was it slow enough. If he was doing 10 kmph or 100 kmph is immaterial.

So both overspeeding an rash driving are valid in a signal jumping incident.

Who remembers that bangalore traffic video where we see buses plowing innocent bikers when the former broke the signal. Or the couple that lost their life because a truck guy broke a signal?

What do we fine the bus/truck driver? Rs 100?

He is surely driving rash and overspeeding.

I was hoping they add attempt to murder too for breaking signals.

Last edited by Spitfire : 5th April 2011 at 22:09.
Old 5th April 2011, 22:27   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
IIRC, there was a judgement or order stating traffic cops cannot combine or compound traffic offences. That is, if you are stopped for signal violation, that should be the only offence you are challaned - ad not licence / insurance / rash driving. Can someone throw some light?
This sounds Utopian !
Think about this- the moron who jumps a signal is not just breaking the law; he is also endangering the life of someone who had diligently waited for the signal at the other end to turn green. How many times have we read stories about entire families perishing on the highways, thanks to an odd truck driver who did not want to make a U turn long down the road.
Guys , jumping signal is indeed a serious offence and could even lead to person being booked for culpable homicide as the above situation warrants.
Old 5th April 2011, 22:38   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
@markmytravel, I was drving through the wrong lane and IIRC the fine for it is 100rs. I paid that and moved on.

Oh, and btw, I was at crawling speeds through a junction, and asked this policeman the way towards JSS College. He just showed me a direction where there were two roads - very unspecific. AND I entered the one-way in the wrong direction, and he pounced upon me, as if he was waiting for it to happen. When I questioned, along with the original rule I broke, I was fined for high speed driving, rash driving, dangerous driving and nuisance to the public, which obviously is not possible at speedo reading 10.

Please suggest a possible solution for situations like this. Apart from the 100rs I gave him without bill.

Yes, calling up some 'upper' contacts might help, but is it worth it just for a traffic offense?
@dhanushs: I am not going back to the incident and not suggesting what you did was wrong or right. What I am trying to point is even though you dealt with the situation in this way, you shudn't be proud of it and should not promote others on doing it. If you don't take it personally, you are more guilty than the cop himself. He took a Rs 100 bribe and you bribed urself by saving Rs 900.
Old 5th April 2011, 22:45   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
If you feel, the cops are cheating you, whatever happens, never ever sign the challan. Once you have signed, it means you have accepted your whatever mistake and need to abide them.
As far as I know the traffic inspector signs and the traffic offenders signature on the challan is not taken.Isnt this correct or am in wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
IIRC, there was a judgement or order stating traffic cops cannot combine or compound traffic offences. That is, if you are stopped for signal violation, that should be the only offence you are challaned - ad not licence / insurance / rash driving. Can someone throw some light?
The whole problem is this what I was exactly talking about.This offence identification/penalty would depend on who the offender is ( probably whether he can talk local language/how much he is able to sweet talk the traffic cop/bike or car which broke rules- car could mean higher payouts and from the officers side - his mood/how much fines/money already collected/have you pacified his ego!)

Even if you were stopped for a traffic signal jump and if the traffic cops mood is not good and he wants to take it out on you by booking you for rash/dangerous driving - like the traffic cop said you have to pay and no other option as said 'dont teach rules to me' as I guess the roads are their fiefdom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
Dear rajinibm, the one and only thing against your cousin brother and sister from the states is that they jumped a signal ( even if) at a very slow speed. Would they do that in the states? and would you go ask the cop about it? Come on man they jumped a signal, be happy they didn't harm themselves or other road users.

I do not remember the forum promoting jumping signals or is there a thread to that?

The crux point is my cousin broke a signal so fine him for that.Period.

You are a policeman/enforcer so why dont you go by the books instead of saying all these kids do is roam around with girls on bikes!So is it a case of sour grapes that he thought my cousin is with a girl so show his power and make him pay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
^ Ah!! sense prevails.

Who remembers that bangalore traffic video where we see buses plowing innocent bikers when the former broke the signal. Or the couple that lost their life because a truck guy broke a signal?
The funny thing is in Chennai on my way to office daily its majority of the buses which break signals/drive on wrong side of the road/endanger lives of people but are never stopped.Cops dont earn anything by stopping buses.

So like the road constable told me that the road was totally empty when he stopped my cousin and he thought he would not stop and he did stop and so that made him take my cousin to the traffic inspector who fined him so makes me think that if anyone ever breaks a signal anytime in the future should he stop or just move on!

I am not supporting my cousin in anyway for breaking the signal but what I feel is if you are a law enforcer then please be fair in doing your job!We would ask for nothing more!
Old 5th April 2011, 22:56   #22
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajinibm View Post
I am not supporting my cousin in anyway for breaking the signal but what I feel is if you are a law enforcer then please be fair in doing your job!We would ask for nothing more!
Isn't that what we all want. There needs to be an accountability, a fear of not doing your job. From the constables to the higher officers each one of them need to be pulled from a society that does not breed such lethargy and corruption. Unfortunately we are all from the same society.
Old 5th April 2011, 23:00   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmytravel View Post
He took a Rs 100 bribe and you bribed urself by saving Rs 900.
Is the fine for entering a one-way the wrong way 1000 Rs?. I thought it was just 100?
Old 5th April 2011, 23:07   #24
BHPian

Wow! This sounds worse than drunken driving. Have you seen a crash? lost anyone? been in one?

Actually the same point. The crux point is your cousin broke a signal.

If there was a truck/bus following the signal, there would be no cousin. And that was the whole point.

Could we try following certain laid rules before we blame others? we are the 'educated' lot right? This so disappointing to read here. Enforcing rules? So, we are barbarians and we have to be enforced in to following simple things as not jumping a red? Try talking rules when people get run over esp to some MTC bus.

And I value my people more than Rs.1050/- but the lesson has to be priceless.

Last edited by YaeJay : 5th April 2011 at 23:10.
Old 5th April 2011, 23:07   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Isn't that what we all want. There needs to be an accountability, a fear of not doing your job. From the constables to the higher officers each one of them need to be pulled from a society that does not breed such lethargy and corruption.
Quote:
Unfortunately we are all from the same society.
@Spitfire: How true. Somehow people tend to just blame the govt officials for curruption but no one looks at himself or his family (no offence). Businessmen would alter accounts to save tax, employees would produce fake medical bills and rental documents etc. etc. The fact is we all are doing what we can to promote curroption and Raja and Kalmadi are blamed only because they got the bigger pie.
Old 6th April 2011, 00:01   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
This sounds Utopian !
Think about this- the moron who jumps a signal is not just breaking the law; he is also endangering the life of someone who had diligently waited for the signal at the other end to turn green. How many times have we read stories about entire families perishing on the highways, thanks to an odd truck driver who did not want to make a U turn long down the road.
Guys , jumping signal is indeed a serious offence and could even lead to person being booked for culpable homicide as the above situation warrants.
Don't read me wrong here - this particular case or judgement (if it is not a fragment of my imagination, but really something I read a couple of months back!), is because it is a well-known habit of Chennai traffic cops to club rash-driving with ALL offences they stop you with, no matter what you are stopped for. And if they cannot challan you for anything, BANG - RASH DRIVING, 1000 BUCKS PLEASE!

I'm pretty sure none can argue out of getting a rash driving slapped on them because, hey, who are you talking to? They are the judges!

And, @Rasputin, tell me how many times have you seen real violators of traffic rules drive past, when that poor man or family get stopped and harassed by traffic cops? I see it every day. I can take you on any random day to a signal and show you that scores of buses and lorries WILL NOT stop at orange or red light until some car stops in front of them - and that odd bike or car that tail gates the bus without seeing the signal will be stopped promptly and fleeced.

I am 100% for following traffic rules, and punishing violators - but not with a bias.
Old 6th April 2011, 00:09   #27
Team-BHP Support

What is the regular fine for jumping signal? here in Bangalore it is just 100 Rs. Smiling or not should not be of any concern to a cop maning a post!
Old 6th April 2011, 00:13   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
What is the regular fine for jumping signal? here in Bangalore it is just 100 Rs. Smiling or not should not be of any concern to a cop maning a post!
50 bucks is what it is here.
Old 6th April 2011, 00:17   #29
Team-BHP Support

^^ If so the cop had no business charging 1000 more. Atleast an email or a letter to the commissioner office is in order if you ask me.

Can we charge cops such sums if they act rude while engaging the public during these so called treasury fill drives?
Old 6th April 2011, 00:21   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Overspeeding: He obviously was not in the correct speed to brake at the signal when it went red. Whatever speed he was in he was not in control of it (rash again) and neither was it slow enough. If he was doing 10 kmph or 100 kmph is immaterial.

So both overspeeding an rash driving are valid in a signal jumping incident.
Nope, they both are not applicable in this scenario unless we know the real speeds they were doing, in case the police guy had a speed gun, that is.

They are two different things.

Overspeeding is only when the city speed limit is exceeded. Say if the speed limit is 35 km/hr, anything above 35 km/hr is overspeeding.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks