Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2011, 01:16   #31
BHPian

Re: Fined 1000 rs for not smiling and talking to traffic cops and 50 rs for signal ju

Quote:
Originally Posted by YaeJay View Post
Lets all look forward to more law abiding human crayons. I am done with this thread.
SICK.

Can I run over someone jumping signals, please? I could pay rs 50 for that, when actually I dont have to pay, but I could get the cop the well deserved ' biriyani' since he cant afford it. but sill that has to be VFM entertainment? right? And, I was thinking its just the cab drivers that were retarded. What ever get run over jumping a signal and bargain with that cop, charge me only Rs100, you might also consider giving me a discount since my limbs are crushed and I am bleeding badly! And please don't penalize the guy that hit me, he was just some idiot following rules, let him go, its all my fault, take a hundred but do gimme a discount on that.

perhaps we can add a poll to this, tbhp can jump signals yes/no ?
Quote:
Dear rajinibm, the one and only thing against your cousin brother and sister from the states is that they jumped a signal ( even if) at a very slow speed. Would they do that in the states? and would you go ask the cop about it? Come on man they jumped a signal, be happy they didn't harm themselves or other road users.

I would say thats not a high price. I would rather have a living, healthy cuz bro an sis that does not do such things in the future!

I do not remember the forum promoting jumping signals or is there a thread to that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
This sounds Utopian !
Think about this- the moron who jumps a signal is not just breaking the law; he is also endangering the life of someone who had diligently waited for the signal at the other end to turn green. How many times have we read stories about entire families perishing on the highways, thanks to an odd truck driver who did not want to make a U turn long down the road.
Guys , jumping signal is indeed a serious offence and could even lead to person being booked for culpable homicide as the above situation warrants.
Agree to you guys, I am so happy to see those words and I am happy to see not everyone has lost it and understand what this may have been or turned out into.

When an idiot jumps a signal, he is obviously running into other motorists who have no idea that this crazy fool is about to run into them or mow them down probably if the unaware person is on a bike.

I personally have seen a tipper truck jump a signal early in the morning and run down two girls on a scooter in the process some 6-7 years back. I never will forget that and it haunts me to this day. Its because of this they have clubbed Sec 184 along with the 177 in such cases.

And yeah, that cop deserves a biriyani and box of chocolates for doing what he did. Only if the authorities tighten up their belts and act, can people like me leave for work telling my wife that I will indeed be back for dinner and not see you at my funeral honey. If some crazy fool wants to take his life, please do so by jumping off a cliff instead of taking me down with him. I still have things to live for.

And dont tell me that you would say a word in a similar situation if you were in America. And its so very shocking to see senior members supporting these kind of reckless antics. I mean its pathetic, how can you people talk like that and support lunacy? Already people are jumping signals like crazy in Bangalore and many other parts of the nation. This lunacy has to end some way or the other and I dont mind if the cops go a little harsh even.

And if someone is so unhappy with what the cop has done, then why the heck cant you refuse to pay the fine and challenge the matter at court instead of promoting retardation?

P.S:"So the cop said he had booked my cousin under sec 184 which falls under dangerous/rash driving just because my cousin did not talk to him!!" Thats the lamest excuse I've heard my whole life. Try saying that at court and see what the judge will say to that.

Last edited by jalex77 : 6th April 2011 at 01:37.
Old 6th April 2011, 01:19   #32
BHPian

Re: Fined 1000 rs for not smiling and talking to traffic cops and 50 rs for signal ju

@Pho3n!x ( damn I got to copy paste next time) my only point is, let us set an example, let us follow rules, let us project this forum in new light, show it as law abiding road users who love their rides and race them on the track. let us not promote jumping signals or rash driving. thats all I wanted to say. And for some innocento rodrigues, complaining about smiling to cops, they do not know the system, I am no enforcer or cop, but I just believe in the simple logic that If there is something wrong with you, you should sort it out first. Then lets start the blaming game. you follow the rules a cop pulls you up? I would be the first person to give him hell.

Sad just a few accept my views ph03n!x. I wonder how many of us know, you could be booked for murder for death in an accident, even if was someone sitting next to you when your car turned turtle?

It is so lame hearing all this. To those learned idiots quoting rules, I wish you all the belly view of our MTC. perhaps you could post us some pics!

I am beginnin to judge myself now, perhaps I was too critical about the cab drivers, If we could have tbhp members, 'educated' ones at that, promoting and defending jumping signals, I would love to know the fine for running someone down. I mean let them challan me for that.

And we have a thread in this forum, that starts of with, yes my cousins jumped the signal but they are NRIs ofcourse they wouldnt dare to do that there but this is India, and even I can go ask the cop about it, though I might not have done the same thing over there but well this is India, I am an Indian it gives me every right to see green when its red, so did my poor cousins, and How dare you charge me so much, My cousins are alive, they dint get run over, and you charge them? because they dint smile? they probly told the cop they are NRI ( cop saw dollars LOL). How can they do this to my visiting poor cousins, SInce I am a member of Tbhp, I will see to it that the cop pays me back!

this is Tbhp, not team retarded!

Thanks for the laughs though!

And man I want the view of RUSH on this. this kind of crap is taking down something I hold very dear to my heart.
Old 6th April 2011, 08:46   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalex77 View Post
When a idiot jumps a signal, he is obviously running into other motorists who have no idea that this crazy fool is about to run into them or mow them down probably if the unaware person is on a bike.

And yeah, that cop deserves a biriyani and box of chocolates for doing what he did. Only if the authorities tighten up their belts and act, can people like me leave for work telling my wife that I will indeed be back for dinner and not see you at my funeral honey. If some crazy fool wants to take his life, please do so by jumping off a cliff instead of taking me down with him. I still have things to live for.
I really wish the cop had done his job.This thread never intended to promote rash driving/promote signal jump.

If the cops would really have done their jobs and following rules as you mentioned then I would have been the happiest person.

P.S:"So the cop said he had booked my cousin under sec 184 which falls under dangerous/rash driving just because my cousin did not talk to him!!" Thats the lamest excuse I've heard my whole life. Try saying that at court and see what the judge will say to that.[/quote]

Well this is exactly what the traffic inspector told me and thats why I quoted it here and I see nothing lame in it.Its a known fact that if my cousin would have said sorry sir, please sir , you are god sir then he would have been let off paying like the cop said a lesser fine.

Yes my cousin broke the signal and no one is saying he is right, so book him for signal jump.

Quote:
@Pho3n!x ( damn I got to copy paste next time) my only point is, let us set an example, let us follow rules, let us project this forum in new light, show it as law abiding road users who love their rides and race them on the track. let us not promote jumping signals or rash driving. thats all I wanted to say.

We would love to be law abiding road users and want to be but if you mean to say that by one signal jump we become anti traffic citizens then sorry I dont subscribe to the same.

It is so lame hearing all this. To those learned idiots quoting rules, I wish you all the belly view of our MTC. perhaps you could post us some pics!

I want rules to be present sir and thats exactly what I am saying rule says for signal jump 50 rs then why the discrimination.

As you asked if this would have been US my cousin would have got a ticket for 'signal jump' and not for 'rash driving'.

I am beginnin to judge myself now, perhaps I was too critical about the cab drivers, If we could have tbhp members, 'educated' ones at that, promoting and defending jumping signals, I would love to know the fine for running someone down. I mean let them challan me for that.

And we have a thread in this forum, that starts of with, yes my cousins jumped the signal but they are NRIs ofcourse they wouldnt dare to do that there but this is India, and even I can go ask the cop about it, though I might not have done the same thing over there but well this is India, I am an Indian it gives me every right to see green when its red, so did my poor cousins, and How dare you charge me so much, My cousins are alive, they dint get run over, and you charge them? because they dint smile? they probly told the cop they are NRI ( cop saw dollars LOL). How can they do this to my visiting poor cousins, SInce I am a member of Tbhp, I will see to it that the cop pays me back!

this is Tbhp, not team retarded!
To put across very simply:

a.I am not saying my cousin came from States so he can break any signal!
b.I am not saying the money -1050 is what made me write this thread!
c.As you all say I also want rules to be one for everyone, whats wrong in that?
d.If tomorrow your car goes over the yellow line but you are asked to pay for rash driving wont you ask the cop why and is there no difference?
e.What do I do if the cop says he needs to be entertained and pleased so he can put a lesser fine.Whats so amusing in this?This is a fact and human nature i guess.

Happened to my cousin today and irrelevant where he is from.Perhaps anyone of you would go through the same some day and then surely question the wisdom of applying laws.

just to add - this road on a sunday morning has a handfull of vehicles.The road turns and its turn where by being on the left you have no traffic in front of you and also since its one way no oncoming traffic so hardly makes sense on endangering lifes.(talking only about this jump and not generally or I would be called a educated idiot as i am also aware of the dangers of traffic jump)

This thread only says that as a cop and as someone working for the general public please do your job to the t and its fine with us and we appreciate it.If we have done wrong and we will accept it.We also do learn a lot from it.

But dont discriminate from person to person for the same offence.
Old 6th April 2011, 10:04   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajinibm View Post
I really wish the cop had done his job.This thread never intended to promote rash driving/promote signal jump.

If the cops would really have done their jobs and following rules as you mentioned then I would have been the happiest person.

P.S:"So the cop said he had booked my cousin under sec 184 which falls under dangerous/rash driving just because my cousin did not talk to him!!" Thats the lamest excuse I've heard my whole life. Try saying that at court and see what the judge will say to that.

Well this is exactly what the traffic inspector told me and thats why I quoted it here and I see nothing lame in it.Its a known fact that if my cousin would have said sorry sir, please sir , you are god sir then he would have been let off paying like the cop said a lesser fine.

Yes my cousin broke the signal and no one is saying he is right, so book him for signal jump.

To put across very simply:

a.I am not saying my cousin came from States so he can break any signal!
b.I am not saying the money -1050 is what made me write this thread!
c.As you all say I also want rules to be one for everyone, whats wrong in that?
d.If tomorrow your car goes over the yellow line but you are asked to pay for rash driving wont you ask the cop why and is there no difference?
e.What do I do if the cop says he needs to be entertained and pleased so he can put a lesser fine.Whats so amusing in this?This is a fact and human nature i guess.

Happened to my cousin today and irrelevant where he is from.Perhaps anyone of you would go through the same some day and then surely question the wisdom of applying laws.

just to add - this road on a sunday morning has a handfull of vehicles.The road turns and its turn where by being on the left you have no traffic in front of you and also since its one way no oncoming traffic so hardly makes sense on endangering lifes.(talking only about this jump and not generally or I would be called a educated idiot as i am also aware of the dangers of traffic jump)

This thread only says that as a cop and as someone working for the general public please do your job to the t and its fine with us and we appreciate it.If we have done wrong and we will accept it.We also do learn a lot from it.

But dont discriminate from person to person for the same offence.
You dont get it do you? If you dont digest the law and procedure and think that grave injustice has been done to your cousin, He should see a lawyer and file a private complaint and argue at court and there you will get justice.

What you type in here is seen by tens of thousands of people and many might tend to think that this was unfair. Almost on every forum, matters are judged by how many people support it and it doesn't matter if its wrong. I dont think that this is the way to go.

The cop probably was being sarcastic with the way he talked to your cousin. And its you who needs to make the choice here about whether to butter talk the cop and get pardoned. But no matter even if he leaves your cousin free of charge, his actions have amounted to Sec 177 r/w Sec 184 period. Reason and grounds have already been mentioned. And just cause someone else is breaking a law and they are not caught and you get caught doesn't mean you have the right to be let free.

Crossing the yellow line can also amount to Sec 184 and clubbed with Sec 177, nothing wrong in that as well. Its just fair. When someone crosses the yellow line, he is endangering other motorists coming opposite. And if by some chance I do that and get caught, I wont ever say a word in defence, but pay the fine. Its my bad and I am answerable to both Sec.177 and Sec.184.

And breaking a law or rule doesn't become less grave depending upon the time you do it. Sunday mornings, handful of vehicles and so on.

Last edited by jalex77 : 6th April 2011 at 10:11.
Old 6th April 2011, 11:00   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Please suggest a possible solution for situations like this. Apart from the 100rs I gave him without bill.

Yes, calling up some 'upper' contacts might help, but is it worth it just for a traffic offense?
Was it not possible to drive away without signing / paying the challan at all? Pay only if there's a challan. Anyway, I can't blame you for what you did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
After 25 min episode I was asked to leave after the cop realized he's not going to get anything from me.
Finally I flashed a victory smile and moved on. To this day I remember the lost expression on the cop's face.
Nice work. It's good to see that you stood up to your guns ...oops, rights. I don't understand why they need to fine you for something you haven't done, even if he isn't benefiting from it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
^Ah!! sense prevails.

I am happy they add rash driving and overspeeding to the jumping signal offense. Rs 100 for breaking the signal is a pittance anyways.

I was hoping they add attempt to murder too for breaking signals.
Indeed. But not amounting to cupable homicide. I feel there should be a centralized traffic penalization system, wherein the 1st offence is fined say Rs 100, the next 250, then 500, 1000, and then court.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I'm pretty sure none can argue out of getting a rash driving slapped on them because, hey, who are you talking to? They are the judges!

I can take you on any random day to a signal and show you that scores of buses and lorries WILL NOT stop at orange or red light until some car stops in front of them - and that odd bike or car that tail gates the bus without seeing the signal will be stopped promptly and fleeced.
This is the reason why I find it necessary to slow down at signals (without the timer display), even if it is green.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
Nope, they both are not applicable in this scenario unless we know the real speeds they were doing, in case the police guy had a speed gun, that is.
Overspeeding is only when the city speed limit is exceeded. Say if the speed limit is 35 km/hr, anything above 35 km/hr is overspeeding.
Our member Manikjeet once hit a cycle rickshaw that had jumped the signal. Damage was done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalex77 View Post

Great to have you back Jalex!!! The cop might have had an ego problem, but the money wasn't a bribe.

The cop definitely didn't have anything personal against the TS's cousin, but he should have been a bit lenient, and left them off with the Rs 50 fine and a gentle warning, as it was (I guess) their first offence.
@The thread starter: at this stage doesn't matter if the policeman was wrong or not wrong; there is not much you can do about this, now that the Challan has been signed and paid. See that your cousin is more careful on the roads, and I hope they enjoy their stay here in India.

EDIT: Hats off to Yaejae!

Last edited by Arkin evoisrevo : 6th April 2011 at 11:04.
Old 6th April 2011, 11:15   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
Sounds interesting; mind sharing the whole story with us? Thanks.
Sure pal. Will do it. It is pretty interesting.
Old 6th April 2011, 11:40   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmytravel View Post
@Spitfire: How true. Somehow people tend to just blame the govt officials for curruption but no one looks at himself or his family (no offence). Businessmen would alter accounts to save tax, employees would produce fake medical bills and rental documents etc. etc. The fact is we all are doing what we can to promote curroption and Raja and Kalmadi are blamed only because they got the bigger pie.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
What is the regular fine for jumping signal? here in Bangalore it is just 100 Rs.
That's the problem with this country's half a century old traffic rules.
Make it Rs.1000 or more for any traffic offence which might endanger the life of another motorist or pedastrian. I bet traffic violations will come down drastically.

@Rajinibm How would a signal jump differ from rash driving in terms of danger to others? I know the rules say it's different but do you seriously believe that a signal jump is a lesser crime?

Last edited by Daewood : 6th April 2011 at 11:44.
Old 6th April 2011, 12:34   #38
BHPian

Pardon me if this is OT, but why your cousin hasn't objected to the cop at first place and you had to go with him. Obviously you were not present at the site and have only heard of the sweet part about your cousin.
IMO as a member of T-BHP, you should have just told your cousin what the cop did was right so as to set a good example. In US, your cousin would have paid $300-350 (Rs 12000) for the same offence and should understand things can't be taken for granted in India.

The best part was that the cop wasn't asking for a bribe and what he takes goes to the govt.
Old 6th April 2011, 13:16   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Man!!.. This thread is really going somewhere. Well, my views are:
  • It is NEVER OK to break a signal, or any law under any circumstances.
  • If you do, you HAVE TO pay the fine, irrespective of the amount. Be it 100 or 1000 or 10000. There is nothing to crib about the money.
BUT - We are all Humans and no one is infallible, so mistakes do happen. In that case,
  • we are obliged to pay ONLY what we have wronged for and not every single crime in the cop's book, just because we did not bend as per his requests.
In our country, the harassment from traffic cop's is a common occurrence. They think they have the power to do anything and everything.

Well, if I'm overfined and the cop thinks that i deserve it and it makes me strictly abide the rule next time, I would be more than happy to pay it. BUT, honest and straightforward cops are a rare occurrence, and most demand a bribe and impose an overfine if we refuse to pay it.

For the sake of comparison - Imagine that you don't pay your taxes on time, and for that you get fined for multiple homicide, stealing, illegal drug dealing etc, just because some police official has some grudge against you.
  • Now is not paying taxes a right thing?. - NO.
  • But is getting fined for multiple homicide, stealing, illegal drug dealing etc..for not paying taxes right? - NO.
Well, corruption is in the gene of the judiciary. Be it traffic or civil or criminal. What we can do is, follow the law as best as we can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmytravel View Post
The best part was that the cop wasn't asking for a bribe and what he takes goes to the govt.
There is absolutely no guarantee for that. Do you have any idea about the amount of duplicate challans these guys posses?.

Last edited by dhanushs : 6th April 2011 at 13:19.
Old 6th April 2011, 15:18   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkin evoisrevo View Post
Our member Manikjeet once hit a cycle rickshaw that had jumped the signal. Damage was done.
So?

What I am trying to say is that jumping a signal and over-speeding are two different offences.

Jumping a signal can be done even at 15 km/hr, and jumping a signal does not necessarily mean over-speeding. You just need to cross the line. Please go through Spitfire's post and my response to it, once again.
Old 6th April 2011, 15:29   #41
BHPian

Quote:
There is absolutely no guarantee for that. Do you have any idea about the amount of duplicate challans these guys posses?.
Duplicate Challans? Now this is something I'm hearing about for the first time. Do tell us/me more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
So?

What I am trying to say is that jumping a signal and over-speeding are two different offences.

Jumping a signal can be done even at 15 km/hr, and jumping a signal does not necessarily mean over-speeding. You just need to cross the line. Please go through Spitfire's post and my response to it, once again.
Oh Okay, I get it!! Quoted many posts at a time, so ended up muddled .
But IMHO (not from the perspective of the law), it is worth slowing down at signals that don't have timers.
Old 6th April 2011, 15:37   #42
Senior - BHPian

The cop gave a receipt for the entire amount, didn't he? So he is above board.

Was he legally correct to book two offences? Yes.

Was he morally correct? Perhaps not - but since his action was legal, this becomes a moot point.

Perhaps he could make out they were NRIs. Perhaps he wanted to levy a punitive fine, or had a collection target to fulfill. Forget it and move on.

PS: But you had quite a nerve, to go and argue with a policeman about the quantum of fine. I know of a case where such an arguer was also challaned under a different head!

Last edited by Gansan : 6th April 2011 at 15:45.
Old 6th April 2011, 19:39   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Well, corruption is in the gene of the judiciary. Be it traffic or civil or criminal.
Do you realize what you just said there?
Do you know what the Judiciary is and means?

Guess maybe I shouldn't be surprised as you are after all an expert at interpreting law and settling things for 100rs without bill, and move ons. And then again Thats what you can do to save time and effort now isn't it?

Last edited by jalex77 : 6th April 2011 at 20:01.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks