Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2010, 17:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

190 km/hr..hit the divider..7 somersaults..learnt the lesson of my life

Hi all! This is an incident which almost changed my life. Four months back i had the most dangerous road experience. Let me you people a short back ground.

My best friend (we both are car freaks and he is the BEST driver I have ever seen and he is a brother to me) had got the Civic V in June 2008. Man! What an exciting moment. It was a car very close to both our hearts. It was like a new baby in the family. We often went on drives. It was all ways "HE" who drove.

Then came a Sunday. A Sunday that is unforgettable. He came over to my place in the afternoon. Each time I saw his car there was an adrenaline rush in my body. There it stood. What a beauty. We went to a nearby mall and from there we went to Cafe Coffee Day. It was drizzing outside. The weather was amazing. It was also getting dark. We started off from CCD at around 4:30pm. We hit our favourite road and boy I was excited.

It was like any other day except that it was drizzling and hence the road was wet. My friend had an usual adrenaline rush. He is always very calm and quite when going at high speeds. Ok so now after touching 160 Km/hr he calms down and we take a u-turn. This road is a bit better.

The speedometer showed 140 then 165 then it climbed to 175. We overtook cars as if they were standstill. WOW! What a feeling! I lowered the music to listen to the sound of the engine. It was amazing. It sounded like a Ferrari if i am not exaggerating. It was not something new though and it was not rash driving either. We were almost cruising. We entered a curve, a WET curve. It was not a big curve. It was just a slight bend. The digital speedometer showed 185 and then 187 and suddenly I see the car skidding. The roar of the engine transforming into the screeching of tires. The car skidded first to the left and then right (because he reverse steered in order to gain control) and then the car hits the divider. BANG!! We are dead. That is what hit my mind. Then a lot sound and I could feel the car going round and round. After a few seconds everything was silent. My glasses were gone. I had my phone in my hand which had vanished(I later found it under the driver's seat). The car was standstill .It had climbed the other side of the pavement which was almost a foot high. I started shouting. I was in a shock. So the car had stopped at a 45 degree angle. People gathered. They said the car had somersaulted(if it is the right word) 7 times.

FORTUNATELY we both were safe. Guess who was the hero of the day-"SEAT BELTS". If I wasn't wearing them I would have surely been thrown out of the windscreen. We both were wearing seat belts. We both had neck sprains because of the impact.

The right side of the car was totally ripped off.

Our Civic had become scrap and it was done by us. I will try and get a picture.

If you want to ask any question please feel free. By the way repairing charges are coming to some where around 10 lacks. We are getting the car almost after 5 months. The Honda people $cr##ed up. Anyway, we will get the delivery in a few days. He has decided to change the colour to white. So friends please be a safe driver and take care of yourself and others on the road. I have learnt it the harder way. Everything can wait but death can not. It is too eager to catch on you everytime you make mistakes like this.

Thank you for reading this. Drive safe.

Last edited by Pancham : 15th January 2010 at 18:00.
Pancham is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th January 2010, 18:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

Is that really you or was that your ghost writing that post?

Not many people come out alive after crashing at that speed. Thank your stars, moons, planets, suns, guardian angels, forefathers and anything else that could tilt luck in your favour.

I hope, you two did not suffer any serious injuries.
RX135 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2010, 18:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
Is that really you or was that your ghost writing that post?

Not many people come out alive after crashing at that speed. Thank your stars, moons, planets, suns, guardian angels, forefathers and anything else that could tilt luck in your favour.

I hope, you two did not suffer any serious injuries.
No. We both had neck sprains though.

Here are some pictures. Sorry for the quality of the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
190 km/hr..hit the divider..7 somersaults..learnt the lesson of my life-video009_6.jpg  

190 km/hr..hit the divider..7 somersaults..learnt the lesson of my life-video009_4.jpg  

190 km/hr..hit the divider..7 somersaults..learnt the lesson of my life-video009.jpg  

190 km/hr..hit the divider..7 somersaults..learnt the lesson of my life-video009_3.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 15th January 2010 at 18:53. Reason: Back to back posts, please wait for moderator approval to edit the original post.
Pancham is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2010, 18:51   #4
Senior - BHPian

You're kidding right? Did that really happen.

It almost sounds straight out of a video game. Hardly any emotion there - quite unlike shishir_bn's Matiz accident details.
Old 15th January 2010, 18:54   #5
BHPian

I sincerely wish that the young minds who read this thread, learn to exercise restrain. What relieves me more that none outside your speeding car was hurt for no fault of her/his.

Drive safe.

@RX135, your signature is an oxymoron. Just like people asking their service advisor to increase the FE and power of their vehicle at the same time.
dushmish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2010, 18:55   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
You're kidding right? Did that really happen.

It almost sounds straight out of a video game. Hardly any emotion there - quite unlike shishir_bn's Matiz accident details.
+1, I think unlike other accidents, the Soul died in this one. Flesh is all that is alive... We can understand!! There is nothing else to comment here...

Edit.

Quote:
Our Civic had become scrap and it was done by us.
Dont tell me after hitting a Kerb @ 180+, this is all the damage a automobile took!!! And this is costing 10Lakhs??? Please rethink what you wrote... Are there more angles to this car...

Last edited by svsantosh : 15th January 2010 at 18:59.
Old 15th January 2010, 19:01   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
I sincerely wish that the young minds who read this thread, learn to exercise restrain. What relieves me more that none outside your speeding car was hurt for no fault of her/his.

Drive safe.
Yes you are right.
I thank God for this(that no one outside the car was hurt)

Friends, after this incident I have taken a pledge to spread the message of driving safely and responsibly

Last edited by v12 : 15th January 2010 at 19:26.
Old 15th January 2010, 19:04   #8
BANNED

i can see lots of little shumi's here. Glad that only machine got damaged this time.
Drive safe in the future .
wildon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2010, 19:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dushmish View Post
@RX135, your signature is an oxymoron. Just like people asking their service advisor to increase the FE and power of their vehicle at the same time.
In last 5 years, you were the first one to point it out :-)

Even though it sounds so, it is not an oxymoron. I do not believe that, only fast driving causes accidents. If that was the case, there would be maximum accidents happening on Auto Bahns, where everyone normally drives at speeds of 140-160 kmph (and I am talking with experience). Accidents happen due to callous approach of driver, incapable vehicles pushed to limits, sheer disregard for rules and several other factors, which amount to rash driving.

You can cause an accident even at speed at 40 if you drive unsafe, whereas a safe driver in capable vehicle can cruise even at 120 without taking any risks.

Meaning of signature is, "Drive fast, Drive safe" (both), not "Driving fast is safe".

Sorry for seriously going Off topic!
RX135 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2010, 19:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dont tell me after hitting a Kerb @ 180+, this is all the damage a automobile took!!! And this is costing 10Lakhs??? Please rethink what you wrote... Are there more angles to this car...
There is a lot of damage. Plus the engine was damaged too.
And after all its a Honda.
i got all the info(regarding the cost) from my friend who is the OWNER of the car.

Last edited by v12 : 15th January 2010 at 19:26.
Old 15th January 2010, 19:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations. The Civic is not made for those kind of speeds on our Indian roads and conditions, and neither was your friend. Next time, you drive.
Old 15th January 2010, 19:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

If that is the only damage as shown to the car then all 3 of u are lucky. Who was counting the rotations by the way ? Coz thats very little damage for speeds that can cause 7 rotations.
prince_pervez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2010, 19:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
If that is the only damage as shown to the car then all 3 of u are lucky. Who was counting the rotations by the way ? Coz thats very little damage for speeds that can cause 7 rotations.
Actually I would like to put a disclaimer here.
The people who gathered outside said that the car had taken 7 rotations. Thats what I heard. Obviously it was impossible to count the rotations(But I DID feel them).

Maybe the pictures are not justifying the actual condition of the car although its just showing a part of it..

Last edited by v12 : 15th January 2010 at 19:27.
Old 15th January 2010, 19:28   #14
BHPian

yes its kind of mild when you say 7 rolls man.

roof intact and surprisingly the air bags havent popped out after a hit to the divider and 7 rolls !! i wonder how.

Any ways you have given a very good message about being strapped on (seat belts)

here is one video in which the driver and navigator were intact after the roll with just seat belt injuries.

RSC esteem - K1000 - 2009
Old 15th January 2010, 19:29   #15
BHPian

What road was this ? Rajarhat on the way to Sector V (DPS turn) ?

Glad you are alive. Turns at those speeds is plain suicide, be it wet or dry roads.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks