Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2011, 11:27   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: pune
Posts: 2,106
Thanked: 68 Times
Default Re: The Ariel Atom : Now available officially in India

Read about this news yesterday.

While it goes fast on track, it has no real value as a car. I personally don't even consider it as a car. It's more like advanced cart to me, with outrageous amount of power. Of course, others may not agree with that.
RX135 is offline  
Old 3rd November 2011, 11:40   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 61,649
Thanked: 210,114 Times
Default Re: The Ariel Atom : Now available officially in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
While it goes fast on track, it has no real value as a car.
To truly enjoy the Atom, you would need to live close to a track. Thus, the Atom makes sense in North India, Chennai & Coimbatore. Yes, it would really be pointless for those of us from Mumbai, Pune or the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkiran View Post
I read in the cannonball club facebook page that they are planning trackdays at the F-1 track.
That's just awesome, Atom or no atom. Imagine seeing the 500 - 600 BHP Italian supercars on the Buddh circuit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
GTO, keeping in mind that these cars are not considered road legal by the local RTO's in India
The Atom is very much road legal. Singhania has his registered and remember, any car costing over $40,000 is exempt from homologation.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd November 2011 at 11:42.
GTO is offline  
Old 3rd November 2011, 11:45   #18
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 23,319
Thanked: 30,053 Times
Default Re: The Ariel Atom : Now available officially in India

Oh man! One of my top 10 cars for sure.

So basic, and so awesome. The closest you can get to a grown man's go-kart.

Glad to see this news, even if its a bit out of $ reach - the launch is still a step in the right direction for us

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd November 2011 at 11:47.
Rehaan is offline  
Old 3rd November 2011, 11:49   #19
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,198
Thanked: 1,010 Times
Default Re: The Ariel Atom : Now available officially in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Atom is very much road legal. Singhania has his registered and remember, any car costing over $40,000 is exempt from homologation.
I'd beg to differ on this. I did mention in the previous post that i do not understand how GS managed to get it registered (sports a KA plate). The RTO rule states any vehicle with the tyres outside the body it not fit to be registered even though it is a $1,00,000 car. I am not talking of homologation at all since above the $40,000 cost the cars are exempt of homologation. Abroad the Atom is road legal, but in India it is not considered as one by the RTO. I hope they amend the law to give the Atom a road legal status.
speedy is offline  
Old 3rd November 2011, 12:23   #20
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 23,319
Thanked: 30,053 Times
Default Re: The Ariel Atom : Now available officially in India

Hi Speedy,

The same issue is being discussed in the "Caterham officially in India" thread here, as it too has "wheels outside the body".

Would be interesting to see an official response from either of the companies.

cya
R
Rehaan is offline  
Old 3rd November 2011, 12:42   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,198
Thanked: 1,010 Times
Default Re: The Ariel Atom : Now available officially in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Hi Speedy,

The same issue is being discussed in the "Caterham officially in India" thread here, as it too has "wheels outside the body".

Would be interesting to see an official response from either of the companies.

cya
R
Hi Rehaan,

The thread starter Riziali is a childhood friend of mine and has built two cars keeping the Caterham design. These cars were not given the status of being road legal by the RTO eventhough they were made from Donor cars. I am sure some would say they were under the $40,000 price range and hence no approval. The point being, all vehicles have to follow a rule irrespective of the price range they come under,so now what?. Rules will be bent to accomodate these cars or a whole new set of rules will be made for the sake of a few extra rupees.

Rgrds.
speedy is offline  
Old 3rd November 2011, 12:55   #22
PPS
Senior - BHPian
 
PPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,329
Thanked: 3,136 Times
Default Re: The Ariel Atom : Now available officially in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
I did mention in the previous post that i do not understand how GS managed to get it registered (sports a KA plate).
If i remember correctly his Atom was MH reg the last time i saw it at the Supercar Rally. His other ride the T-Rex is TN reg, i wonder if that is road legal or not ?
PPS is offline  
Old 3rd November 2011, 13:49   #23
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,198
Thanked: 1,010 Times
Default Re: The Ariel Atom : Now available officially in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
If i remember correctly his Atom was MH reg the last time i saw it at the Supercar Rally. His other ride the T-Rex is TN reg, i wonder if that is road legal or not ?
Sorry mixed up the three cars regs. Atom -MH, T-rex -TN and Skyline is KA.
None of the two including the Can AM ( dont know if its registered yet) are road legal, but registered none the less.
speedy is offline  
Old 3rd November 2011, 13:53   #24
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: pune
Posts: 2,106
Thanked: 68 Times
Default Re: The Ariel Atom : Now available officially in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
To truly enjoy the Atom, you would need to live close to a track. Thus, the Atom makes sense in North India, Chennai & Coimbatore. Yes, it would really be pointless for those of us from Mumbai, Pune or the like.
As weird as it may sound, at 85 Lakh, it probably is the cheapest way to own and enjoy a Formula car.

I can't imagine driving this car on the road though. I doubt, if one can drive it even for a day on our roads without breaking its bones, errmm..suspension. May be isolated patches.
RX135 is offline  
Old 3rd November 2011, 22:24   #25
Senior - BHPian
 
Durango Dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,594
Thanked: 3,354 Times
Default Re: The Ariel Atom : Now available officially in India

Could call it the running roll cage, if you don't wear a helmet with the visor down then you will have a meal of flies and bugs going into your mouth and nose at that speed.
Durango Dude is offline  
Old 3rd November 2011, 22:49   #26
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: blr-manipal
Posts: 535
Thanked: 104 Times
Default Re: The Ariel Atom : Now available officially in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
The RTO rule states any vehicle with the tyres outside the body it not fit to be registered even though it is a $1,00,000 car.
What about tractors? The tyres stick out of the body. Is this rule not applicable to Yellow boards or commercial vehicles?
livyodream is offline  
Old 4th November 2011, 10:29   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,198
Thanked: 1,010 Times
Default Re: The Ariel Atom : Now available officially in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
What about tractors? The tyres stick out of the body. Is this rule not applicable to Yellow boards or commercial vehicles?

Livyodream..dont know how you can compare the two. The tractor comes under agriculture and is exempt from the rule as it is not an everyday passenger vehicle. In Metro's it cannot be registered due to the Euro norms. Please do see the end use of the vehicles too..Atom street and track use compared to tractor for farm use...
speedy is offline  
Old 4th November 2011, 10:51   #28
Team-BHP Support
 
Rehaan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 23,319
Thanked: 30,053 Times
Default Re: The Ariel Atom : Now available officially in India

I'm all for rules and regulation - ESPECIALLY if they are safety related.

However, i am also a fan of archaic rules being updated to keep with the times.

Cars like the Atom and the Caterhams that are legal in pretty much every other place in the world should be legal here too. Wishful thinking... Lets see if these companies can do something about it.

Also, another issue here is that Rizali's car might have had different rules applied to it, since it was custom built ?

cya
R
Rehaan is offline  
Old 4th November 2011, 11:45   #29
Senior - BHPian
 
speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai Meri Jaan
Posts: 6,198
Thanked: 1,010 Times
Default Re: The Ariel Atom : Now available officially in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I'm all for rules and regulation - ESPECIALLY if they are safety related.
With you on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
However, i am also a fan of archaic rules being updated to keep with the times.
with you on this too..the rules also should be updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Cars like the Atom and the Caterhams that are legal in pretty much every other place in the world should be legal here too. Wishful thinking... Lets see if these companies can do something about it.
If the Government sees a revenue..they will bend the laws..prime example of which is the Veyron. I dont see a problem with importing the car as much as having it registered legally. The RTO would have to bend or make new rules to accomodate the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Also, another issue here is that Rizali's car might have had different rules applied to it, since it was custom built ?
I dont see the custom built part being an issue..the issue was tyres outside the body. If you take even a Mahindra 550/Thar or any other vehicle with bigger tyres that stick outside the body to the RTO..the vehicle will not be passed.

I hope they update the rules to bring in more of such type of cars for recreational puposes.
speedy is offline  
Old 4th November 2011, 14:09   #30
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,168
Thanked: 483 Times
Default Re: The Ariel Atom : Now available officially in India

Great news!

Finally so many cars are coming to India - Mini Cooper was announced a few days back, Aventador was in the papers and now Ariel Atom. I'm waiting for the day Bowler Nemesis / Wildcat will come to our shores

Cheers
MileCruncher is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2021, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks