Team-BHP - Report & Pics : MINI's first showroom in India @ Mumbai
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Super-Cars & Imports in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-cars-imports-india/)
-   -   Report & Pics : MINI's first showroom in India @ Mumbai (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-cars-imports-india/118682-report-pics-minis-first-showroom-india-mumbai.html)

Mod Note : The Mini Cooper Official Review has been uploaded at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks

Report & Pics : MINI's first showroom in India @ Mumbai-mini-launch-mumbai-2.jpg

The MINI brand has launched its First Showroom in India at Mumbai. It is Infinity Cars Located at Santacruz (Map). This showroom will be followed by two others in New Delhi and around 5-6 showrooms all over the country by the end of 2012.

The brand was launched in India at the Auto Expo 2012 and it was covered extensively here: MINI Launch

Here are the ex-showroom prices (these prices will be the same all over India):
Mini Cooper: Rs. 25,50,000
Mini Cooper S: Rs. 28,60,000
Mini Cooper Convertible: Rs. 30,70,000
Mini Cooper S Countryman: Rs. 32,80,000
Mini Cooper S Countryman High: Rs. 35,90,000

The prices have increased from those announced at the Auto Expo due to the increase in the duty for Completely Built Unit (CBU) imports. The increase ranges from Rs. 60,000 to Rs. 80,000 across the model range.

Highlights:

About the Showroom:

About the cars:

MINI Cooper:
•1.6L petrol produces 122 BHP @ 6000 RPM and 160 Nm @ 4250 RPM
•6-speed automatic

MINI Cooper S:
•The Cooper "S" is a higher performance variant of the Cooper
•1.6L petrol produces 184 BHP @ 6000 RPM and 240 Nm @ 1600 - 5000 RPM
•It also has an "overboost" function which changes the turbo pressure and fueling to put out 260 Nm when needed (eg. during overtaking)
•6-speed auto transmission is a bit of a bummer for the driving enthusiasts hoping to take this go-kart for a spin
•Differences over the regular MINI Cooper include : Turbocharged engine, different interior trim, air-intake bonnet scoop, larger wheels, rear spoiler, and tweaks to the cooling system and chassis.
•This is the MINI you should pick to drive if you ever get a chance to!

MINI Cooper Convertible:
•Same engine specs as the MINI Cooper
•Retractable soft-top
•Active (ie pop-up) roll-bars are an addition for roll-over safety

MINI (Cooper S) Countryman
•Shares the same engine as the Cooper S
•1.6L petrol producing 184 BHP @ 6000 RPM and 240 Nm @ 1600 - 5000 RPM
•6-speed automatic transmission
•This is the only 4-door MINI. Its also the biggest MINI, enabling it to have "real" rear seats.
•Rear seats can flip forward to enable more storage room

MINI (Cooper S) Countryman High
•A variant of Countryman with the following features added: Fog Lights, Sunroof, Bluetooth and USB enabled sound system, Harman Kardon Speakers, Centre armrest, Full leather interiors and different alloys.

Visit this thread: MINI Launch for detailed pictures of each of these cars. The descriptions above are also picked up from that thread.

The Showroom:
Report & Pics : MINI's first showroom in India @ Mumbai-mini-launch-mumbai-3.jpg

Report & Pics : MINI's first showroom in India @ Mumbai-mini-launch-mumbai-4.jpg

MINI Cooper S:
Report & Pics : MINI's first showroom in India @ Mumbai-mini-launch-mumbai-5.jpg

Report & Pics : MINI's first showroom in India @ Mumbai-mini-launch-mumbai-6.jpg

Report & Pics : MINI's first showroom in India @ Mumbai-mini-launch-mumbai-7.jpg

Report & Pics : MINI's first showroom in India @ Mumbai-mini-launch-mumbai-8.jpg

MINI Cooper Convertible:
Report & Pics : MINI's first showroom in India @ Mumbai-mini-launch-mumbai-9.jpg

Just love the Blue colour on this one:
Report & Pics : MINI's first showroom in India @ Mumbai-mini-launch-mumbai-10.jpg

I would like to have both, the car and the food lol:
Report & Pics : MINI's first showroom in India @ Mumbai-mini-launch-mumbai-11.jpg

Well appointed interiors:
Report & Pics : MINI's first showroom in India @ Mumbai-mini-launch-mumbai-12.jpg

The MINI Cooper Countryman:
Report & Pics : MINI's first showroom in India @ Mumbai-mini-launch-mumbai-13.jpg

Report & Pics : MINI's first showroom in India @ Mumbai-mini-launch-mumbai-14.jpg

Report & Pics : MINI's first showroom in India @ Mumbai-mini-launch-mumbai-16.jpg

Report & Pics : MINI's first showroom in India @ Mumbai-mini-launch-mumbai-17.jpg

MINI Cooper Convertible in Green:
Report & Pics : MINI's first showroom in India @ Mumbai-mini-launch-mumbai-18.jpg

Notice the different alloys: (The Black ones on the other cars are optional)
Report & Pics : MINI's first showroom in India @ Mumbai-mini-launch-mumbai-19.jpg

Multitude of colour and leather options. Each car will be custom built according to the customer's choice:
Report & Pics : MINI's first showroom in India @ Mumbai-mini-launch-mumbai-20.jpg

Typical contemporary industrial design in the showroom:
Report & Pics : MINI's first showroom in India @ Mumbai-mini-launch-mumbai-21.jpg

Minimalism at its best displayed on the roof:
Report & Pics : MINI's first showroom in India @ Mumbai-mini-launch-mumbai-22.jpg

Some funky artwork on the walls:
Report & Pics : MINI's first showroom in India @ Mumbai-mini-launch-mumbai-23.jpg

We expect flat blade wipers are this price point now, don't we?
Report & Pics : MINI's first showroom in India @ Mumbai-mini-launch-mumbai-24.jpg

MINI Merchandise:
Report & Pics : MINI's first showroom in India @ Mumbai-mini-launch-mumbai-25.jpg

Report & Pics : MINI's first showroom in India @ Mumbai-mini-launch-mumbai-26.jpg

Report & Pics : MINI's first showroom in India @ Mumbai-mini-launch-mumbai-1.jpg

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to the Indian Car Scene. Thanks for sharing!

The prices are very very steep indeed, but I like the idea of custom made cars. Loved the white Cooper S.

What is Countryman High?

Quote:

Originally Posted by raj_5004 (Post 2737283)
The prices are very very steep indeed, but I like the idea of custom made cars. Loved the white Cooper S.

What is Countryman High?

MINI (Cooper S) Countryman High:
•A variant of Countryman with the following features added: Fog Lights, Sunroof, Bluetooth and USB enabled sound system, Harman Kardon Speakers, Centre armrest, Full leather interiors and different alloys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by raj_5004 (Post 2737283)

What is Countryman High?

CBU prices, I suppose. What you configure here, goes to Mini's assembly plant which then sends your car as configured to India. Welcome to the world of 100+% import duty!

One thing that occurred to my mind. Should BMW start manufacturing Mini in India, at what price point would it be sold? If it really does, won't it give all Hatchbacks being sold in india, a run for their money??

:OT Something from inside is telling me that the Swift was actually a re-engineered design of this car:D

Its high priced but I'm sure that the MINI will have its share of admirers among the rich. It'll definitely do better than the Beetle, I guess. If I had that kind of money, I would have gone for a MINI Cooper S.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jalsa777 (Post 2737171)
Attachment 911934

Some funky artwork on the walls:
Attachment 911997

To some, funky artwork maybe, but that is the actual drawing of Sir Alec. :)

when he was asked by his assistant, how much bigger wheel he wants on this. He said with his two hands "about this big". His assistant thought he was joking, but he was dead serious and asked him to measure it in air. It was exactly 10 inch. :)

The new bulgy mini coopers look quite ugly on the road. The earlier models looked much better.

At 25L , it is pricey too (maybe 28L OTR)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirAlec (Post 2742172)
To some, funky artwork maybe, but that is the actual drawing of Sir Alec. :)

I commented funky artwork from a wall painting point of view.

I knew it was a genuine drawing but did not know the history behind it. Thanks. :)
Here's the link for that drawing from the British Council Design Museum.

Great thread Jalsa. I have always loved Mini's. Glad to hear that it's coming here. 100+ bookings even before the deliveries means it's here to stay (atleast among the rich).
Heard that Cochin is also getting a MINI showroom soon. Heard many big shots have approached them and one group is confirmed to open the showroom soon.

Any updates regarding that Anand, Vishnu?

Countryman high is priced really high! 44lacs on road in Mumbai!

Was at Bird Automotive at Gurgaon to get my number plates for the 320d. Saw a CooperS parked outside and enquired about a test drive and was given one!

The car was essentially the one used for Homologation so they requested me not to take it on the expressway and I was relegated to interior roads in Gurgaon. My 2 cents:

Interiors
Were spartan but funky
Switchgear was a delight
Space completely at a premium (as expected)
Loved the steering grip

The Drive
The Cooper S 184 hp was an absolute maniac. To put things in perspective, it was like trying to take a St. Bernard out for a walk after he had seen a couple of meat vans parked. Always over eager to please the master and rev like a madman. It was a blast when given the beans! I personally felt that front wheel drive would have had issues with that kind of power but the steering is very direct, car is extremely agile and ready to dart into traffic spaces - its size is an absolute boon in our traffic.

On that, the engine is so sweet, its something that BMW should introduce in a 316i / 320i - it IS that good!

Not that I was a serious buyer, at the price I think this car is probably a grown up / mature person's Beetle or Fiat 500. Just something which is a pleasure toy when there is also something sizable in the garage. Or it could be for women pestering their rich husbands / fathers to get them one because its 'cute'.

On the last comment, please please do not think I am sexist - I am just a guy who has seen Delhi roads in extreme hilarity including instances of a yellow Beetle with the memsaab sitting behind her chauffer! :uncontrol

Ah the MINI! It's an auto-maniac's fantasy. I happened to see quite a few on our roads in Dubai. They looked cute and were mostly driven by the fairer sex. And the nationalities were mostly European or Middle-Eastern. I would be surprised to spot an Asian driving one (which does happen every now and then!). My better half is a big fan of the MINI. And somehow I found the car to be appealing as well since she liked it so much. One day I booked a test drive of the MINI Cooper S at the Media City Showroom on the SZR.

Though I found the place after great difficulty, what followed was an experience in itself. The showroom was spartan to say the least but somehow looked elegant too. There were around ten cars parked inside including the Cooper, Cooper S, Countryman, Countryman (S), Cabriolet and Roadster. There was this personalised car for one client which had Swaroski crystals installed in a flowery theme, which was lovely. Apart from these, they also had a John Cooper Works Cars which are performance oriented and bespoke. Now I drove the MINI Cooper S, which was outright powerful. The Steering was stiff and the exhaust note music to the years. The interiors were posh and the ICE was Harmon Kardon. It was fully loaded. The ride and other options were just like elantracrdi05 described.

I thought I would just write about the prices in here for a comparo:

1) MINI Cooper is AED 95,000 @ 1.6Ltr, 122Bhp
2) MINI Cooper S is AED 135,000 @ 1.6Ltr, 184Bhp
3) MINI Cooper Countryman is AED 135,000 @ 1.6Ltr, 122 Bhp
4) MINI Cooper Countryman S is AED 175,000 @ 1.6Ltr, 184 Bhp

I was only interested in the above models and hence my price enquiry was only for these. To save you guys the trouble of finding out the exchange rate for conversion purposes, its Rs.13.50 per Dirham (AED) approx. So there it is. I regret I didn't take any pictures, though my cousin did. I'll try getting the photos from him and post it later.

Cherio
Champion

Calling the red and black Mini Cooper S the "Hot and Sexy" would be an understatement. The devilish look of the second pic of that one is simply superb. 184 horses under that small belly will indeed keep the one behind the wheels happy!! :D

Thanks for sharing, jalsa777. Much appreciated!

Best,
R-Six