Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2012, 18:08   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Audi to launch the S4 in India!

Note From Team-BHP Support-Team: Guys, please stick to the topic. The GrandCabrio discussion can be taken to the appropriate thread (Spy shots: BMW 6 series 4 door Gran coupe). Thanks.
Old 17th May 2012, 19:22   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
The 6 Gran Coupe only made it's global press launch in Mid December, First press reports have begun only for last 2 weeks, and all the cars on the port in Mumbai are the regular 6 Coupes and NOT the GC. The production of GC did not even begin then.

All dealers will get their cars in the next 2-3 months. Most are 640d GC! The GC is easy to spot as it has a regular door handle at the back and boy it's long.
Thank you for the clarification. This was much needed. Looks like I wasn't way off after all.

Quote:
suhaas,

I do understand S4 is a wonderful car and while we have not had the BMW 335i which competes with it, this is a segment that hardly does well, (330i with M pack we have had for years now and you need to see how slow it sells, also do see RS5 some dealers have them for months) the gap can only be filled better by something like a BMW 330d / Audi A4 3.0TDI, Yes they are diesels, they may not be as revv happy as their petrol counter parts, but in a world we live in most look at the 530d and similar as a better alternative to the 535i and similar. And in this market you need to understand Audi perhaps has not even bothered to see if the Evo is doing good or not, not saying EVO is good or bad just that our market works in a very different manner.
In complete agreement with you here!

India is a market that has taken a liking to diesels, whatever the brand whatever the segment. The secret to volumes and success is having an oil-burner doing duty in the car you're selling. rarely would it go wrong.

That said, what I was trying to say is in the World of petrol-cars, the S4 sports sedan is arguably king at the moment. Sure, it may not garner some sales. But there are several people who'd still plonk their money on a good ol' petrol car just because they really like 'em.

You see, sports-cars in essence still run on petrol. The BMW Z4, the Audi TT, the Merc SLK and the Porsche Boxster all run on petrol and there is a market for such cars in India, albeit a tiny one.

There are those people who want that sensation of owning and driving sports-car, but family pressure () generally steers them clear from the segment altogether. That's where these sports-sedans come in. Of course, one could argue that sales of petrol cars are slowly diminishing, but for those who genuinely don't need a diesel don't really look for one. I know of several people like that. *winks*

Quote:
Also Please do explain your RS7 comment on the CLS 63AMG, Im curious
Explained in the other thread.
Old 18th May 2012, 16:51   #33
Senior - BHPian

Sir,

It's not just India, but world over the demand for diesel powered cars is growing while the EU has always been a big market, also while the S4 would be a king all I am trying to say is there has been no such void in our market as the 330i has been available since 3 years and had that done well we could have had the 335i or the M3 sedan but it just does not work well,

Go to any BMW dealer and ask how long it takes for the 330i to push off, and he mostly will offer you mouth watering deals and they still don't push into sales,

So good is demand for diesel that the 3 convertible was launched only as 330d, and when you talk of cars like SLK etc. there also exists a SLK250 CDI, something MB India is truly considering launching.

Not saying S4 will not sell, it's just that instead of that if they push the 3.0TDI with S-Line and more interior features can do very well.

Regards,

P.S Different segments but we always have had the king of Sports Sedans in India, M5!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
India is a market that has taken a liking to diesels, whatever the brand whatever the segment. The secret to volumes and success is having an oil-burner doing duty in the car you're selling. rarely would it go wrong.

That said, what I was trying to say is in the World of petrol-cars, the S4 sports sedan is arguably king at the moment.
Old 26th May 2012, 11:03   #34
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Very innovative way to create a buzz on social media:

Audi to launch the S4 in India!-image001.jpg
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2012, 14:52   #35
Senior - BHPian

While it is discussed that the S4 is no great shakes and is probably in no man's land between the A4 and RS4, I wonder how it will be produced in India.
I assume it will be a CBU since I don't think the numbers would quantify the SKD mode.
Or does it have enough in common with the A4 to be assembled in India?
Old 26th May 2012, 14:58   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
While it is discussed that the S4 is no great shakes and is probably in no man's land between the A4 and RS4, I wonder how it will be produced in India.
I assume it will be a CBU since I don't think the numbers would quantify the SKD mode.
Or does it have enough in common with the A4 to be assembled in India?

They dont intend to assemble it in India. It is far from being a volume generator & after the hike in petrol rates , its next to impossible to get this car off the floors IMO.
Still there are hardcore petrol enthusiasts who would buy the S4 for the high revving machine it is. It would be plenty fun to chuck this car around.
It will always be sold as a CBU.
I , for one would have surely considered it had petrol/diesel rates been on par or similar.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 26th May 2012 at 15:00.
Old 26th May 2012, 15:05   #37
Senior - BHPian

Isn't there a diesel version of the S4?
My neighbour has one, but thats 2 generations older.
Old 26th May 2012, 17:33   #38
Team-BHP Support

^^ What your neighbour owns is probably a kitted A4. Not hard to acquire the 'S' bits and they go for (relatively) cheap too, if you look hard. Especially bits for the older gen' A4s.

Fat chance that the S4 will be assembled in India. It just doesn't have the demand to warrant a separate assembly-line for itself.

I think it's a great car, though. Certainly a good proposition for the enthusiast who doesn't want a luxobarge but still wouldn't mind a comfortable sports sedan. It's much better than the Mitsubishi EVO (I know, they're in completely different ball-parks) but I assume they would fall in the same price bracket so the comparison would come up.

By the way, the RS4 is not produced anymore. It has been replaced with the RS5. The hot version of the A5, which is essentially a 'coupe' version of the A4. The RS4 is made only for a handful of markets (Northern Europe I believe) and is available only in the 'Avant' station-wagon/estate body-style.
Old 4th June 2012, 20:09   #39
Senior - BHPian

Audi S4 launched in India at 45.31 lakh!

Source
Attached Thumbnails
Audi to launch the S4 in India!-2012audis4frontthreequarters623x389.jpg  

Old 4th June 2012, 21:05   #40
Team-BHP Support

Wow 45.3L is high but it makes the Lancer EVO X look like a total fool at 49L. You get Quattro and a way better package for a lower price. Equally fun to drive and way better image.
Old 4th June 2012, 21:20   #41
Senior - BHPian

The RS4 sedan WILL be assembled in Europe before the B8 finally bows out to make way for the all new next gen.

^^ Vid
Not only that, the S4 will also completely obliterate the EVO in terms of performance too. I dont really see what the Evo has going for it apart from the fact that the handling could be a tad better thanks to the artificial set-up of Audi EPS units.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 4th June 2012 at 21:23.
Old 4th June 2012, 22:44   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Good pricing by Audi, I hope this encourages BMW to get the 335i in with the M sport kit standard to take on the S4.

Is the S4 a CBU? That would levy heavy taxes on it but even then at approx 50lakhs OTR (If it's CKD) there does not seem to be any car available here that touches the ton in 5 seconds at 50 lakhs.
Old 4th June 2012, 23:47   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Good pricing by Audi, I hope this encourages BMW to get the 335i in with the M sport kit standard to take on the S4.

Is the S4 a CBU? That would levy heavy taxes on it but even then at approx 50lakhs OTR (If it's CKD) there does not seem to be any car available here that touches the ton in 5 seconds at 50 lakhs.

The S4 will be a CBU.
Wont make sense for them to assemble it here. Think about it, how many would they sell at best per month ?
At 50 it sure is relatively VFM though. All sub 5/ 5 second dash to 100 cars started at a minimum of 60-65 before this came in.
What would really set our pulse raising though are the bi/tri-turbo oil-burners from Munich and Ingolstadt which manage well BELOW 5 second dashes to the ton and they would make a lot more sense in our country where diesel prices wont be shooting up exponentially.
Sadly ,even if those engines do make it with the A6/5/ 6 GC /A7 etc. theyl be at a minimum of 75 ex-showroom. Steep
Old 4th June 2012, 23:55   #44
Team-BHP Support

Moderator's note: Guys, let's continue the discussion in the dedicated thread since the car has been launched.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-31-lakhs.html (Audi Launches S4 in India @ Rs. 45.31 lakhs)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks