Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th August 2012, 19:40   #16
Senior - BHPian

re: Please Identify this Toyota. EDIT : It's a Trueno Sprinter!

Interior pics may help. Please post them if you have any.
Old 13th August 2012, 21:06   #17
Senior - BHPian

Its a Celica Levin as someone pointed out. Do you mind posting all the pictures in one shot ??? so that we don't have to keep guessing

Looks like it suffered a front end crash and due to non-availability of parts they have fitted headlights from a 2008 era Camry. Looks like the hood has been re-fabricated brought down to cover up the area where the grille was, thereby blocking off airflow to the radiator.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 13:50   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anand123 View Post
Interior pics may help. Please post them if you have any.
Anand, I do not have the interior pictures as of now. Will try to arrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Its a Celica Levin as someone pointed out. Do you mind posting all the pictures in one shot ??? so that we don't have to keep guessing

Looks like it suffered a front end crash and due to non-availability of parts they have fitted headlights from a 2008 era Camry. Looks like the hood has been re-fabricated brought down to cover up the area where the grille was, thereby blocking off airflow to the radiator.
Mpower, when I saw this car I just took the pictures of what was posted at the starting of the thread. When I was asked for the rear picture, I sent my driver to get it clicked and when we all still were a little clueless on the make my driver once again was sent to get the picture of the Engine Compartment. So that was the reason I had you all guessing including myself!

I got a call from the owner of this car, and he says he will send me the original RC copy for my review. Waiting for the fax now. He also mentions that there is no problem with the papers at all except the misprint of Diesel as fuel type. When inquired about the papers which I already saw, he says that might have been of some other Toyota car and I can match the VIN number on the chassis with the papers??

Shall I still pursue the vehicle?
aditbelw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 14:05   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditbelw View Post
If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't bother. Let me explain my thinking.

1. It is an old car
2. It is an import
3. It has had "local" repairs, which has detracted from its originality

When buying an old car, you either look for classic value (like if it was a Celica) or for utility (like if it was a Corolla/Camry). This one has neither. If it is a Toyota Levin, then it is a long forgotten and generally unloved model - correct me if I am wrong.

Being an import and an unloved model abroad, sourcing spares will be a royal headache. Also, an import model which has had its originality spoiled with local spares/repairs is undesirable in India.

Why are you wanting to buy this car?
KiloAlpha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 14:09   #20
BHPian

Came across this forum for toyota celicas,try posting here,
FS: Corolla Levin AE111 blacktop 20v 4AG-MT ECU. WTB: 7afe ECU - Toyota Celicas - The Toyota Celica Forum

you might get it confirmed that its A CELICA Levin.

Confirmed its a Toyota Levin XZ/Corolla Levin,check out the below link

Toyota Corolla Levin and Toyota Sprinter Trueno - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And this one also,probably a 1998 model.

Toyota Levin XZ

Last edited by moralfibre : 14th August 2012 at 17:18. Reason: Back to back posts. Please use EDIT/Multi-quote feature.
GullwingGT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 14:34   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't bother. Let me explain my thinking.

Why are you wanting to buy this car?
Valid Points, Kilo. I am just getting confused about this vehicle. Feels like this car wants to come to me! Will just have to stop wasting my time on this one.

As for the reason, I always wanted a 2 doors sports Coupe and for the last few months have been looking for something that I would like and not what others will perceive as a value.

I am also keenly following up on a MB SL300 R129 and if everything goes well , just might pick it up!

OT: Are you into Amateur Radio?
Old 14th August 2012, 16:29   #22
BHPian

I got the copy of the alleged original RC and here what it says:

Year Of Manufacture: 1995
Type: Imported
Country Origin: Japan
Model: Toyota
Type: Trueno Sprinter

Thanks All!
Old 14th August 2012, 17:13   #23
Senior - BHPian

Re: Please Identify this Toyota. EDIT : It's a Trueno Sprinter!

Quote:
Mpower, when I saw this car I just took the pictures of what was posted at the starting of the thread. When I was asked for the rear picture, I sent my driver to get it clicked and when we all still were a little clueless on the make my driver once again was sent to get the picture of the Engine Compartment. So that was the reason I had you all guessing including myself!

I got a call from the owner of this car, and he says he will send me the original RC copy for my review. Waiting for the fax now. He also mentions that there is no problem with the papers at all except the misprint of Diesel as fuel type. When inquired about the papers which I already saw, he says that might have been of some other Toyota car and I can match the VIN number on the chassis with the papers??

OK Thanks!

The car itself looks legit.

Although those are 08 Camry headlights and grille is OK! How many kms on the odo?
As far as pursuing the vehicle, it depends on your needs and your budget both of which are yet to be revealed. But if you're buying a 15 yr old car, it better be a Toyota.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 19:06   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
OK Thanks!

The car itself looks legit.

Although those are 08 Camry headlights and grille is OK! How many kms on the odo?
As far as pursuing the vehicle, it depends on your needs and your budget both of which are yet to be revealed. But if you're buying a 15 yr old car, it better be a Toyota.
The budget will depend on the vehicle I choose. For instance along with Toyota I am also looking at a 94 model SL 300 based on R129 which is being quoted at 12L. Now 12L is a lot of money for this car looking at it's age and I have quoted my best price. If the seller agrees on it, I'd pick it up at the earliest! My budget would not exceed anymore that quoted here at MAX.

My need is a good , low slung , 2 door coupe for weekend runs not only in the city but also interstate highways.
Old 14th August 2012, 19:38   #25
Senior - BHPian

12 lacs seems really pricey for such an old model. How many kilometres has it covered? If you want to spend so much on an old import then why don't you look for something like a Mitsubishi GTO or a 3000GT.
Old 16th August 2012, 12:02   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aparth View Post
12 lacs seems really pricey for such an old model. How many kilometres has it covered? If you want to spend so much on an old import then why don't you look for something like a Mitsubishi GTO or a 3000GT.
I am in no intention of paying that amount for the R129. That is the reason have given him my quote which accounts to 30% reduction of the original quoted price. If the seller agrees Good, if not, I will not make any hasty decisions and wait till I get a good deal and overall a good car!

I was looking for a GTO as well, but the price quoted by sellers are completely absurd! These owners have a tendency of making a profit even though when they might have purchased their vehicle at a cheaper cost used them for 40-50k Miles and then sell it at a higher cost of the original purchase price. Duh..!! Are we that desperate?

Btw isn't the GTO & 3000GT same?
Old 16th August 2012, 20:34   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am in no intention of paying that amount for the R129. That is the reason have given him my quote which accounts to 30% reduction of the original quoted price. If the seller agrees Good, if not, I will not make any hasty decisions and wait till I get a good deal and overall a good car!

I was looking for a GTO as well, but the price quoted by sellers are completely absurd! These owners have a tendency of making a profit even though when they might have purchased their vehicle at a cheaper cost used them for 40-50k Miles and then sell it at a higher cost of the original purchase price. Duh..!! Are we that desperate?

Btw isn't the GTO & 3000GT same?
It's the same car but it was just rebadged as the 3000GT by Mitsubishi for most of the export markets. It was also sold by Chrysler in North America as a Dodge Stealth with only minor detail/appearance differences, mechanically the two cars were identical.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks