Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2013, 14:12   #106
Senior - BHPian

re: Audi R8 catches fire in Mumbai! EDIT: A few more - page 9

Ouch. That hurts a lot to see such a fine car reduced to scrap metal. So sad for the car to end like this. Are Audi R8's external body made of aluminium? I vaguely remember, having heard about this on modern factories show on History channel, but for some reason I can't recollect the same. If the car had to be towed anyway, couldn't they have towed it the other way round; for the front wheels seem to be more intact than the rear wheels.

A noob O.T question - how many kilometers do these super cars clock on an average in a year?
Old 31st January 2013, 16:40   #107
BHPian

It all depends on the owners. Some owners can clock anywhere from 5-10k kms a year and some can do only 1-3k kms a year. And to answer your question yea the r8 uses asf technology. Which stands for aluminum space frame. The whole car is aluminum.
Old 31st January 2013, 17:47   #108
BHPian

Couldnt help but notice one insignificant detail. The Audi logo on the bonnet is present all along and survives the fury of the flames which is reducing the rest of the car to cinders. It survives the high pressure fire hose of the firemen which is used to douse the flames. Sadly it doesnt survive the aftermath when the tow truck guys descend on the wreck. See how the logo mysteriously does a disappearing act when the car is towed away (refer post 32 and 33). Looks like the the infamous 'Mumbai Logo Thieves' have graduated to supercars (or wrecked supercars to be more precise)
Old 31st January 2013, 20:33   #109
BHPian

Yea i did notice that. That is very sad and unfortunate.
Old 1st February 2013, 14:49   #110
Senior - BHPian

very very unfortunate incident happened,have seen the car in person at some regular mumbai meets.
Old 1st February 2013, 15:12   #111
BHPian

I saw the car beginning to smoke and my expression changed to a huge question mark. There were a few cops on the scene but why weren't there any extinguishers on the scene? Unfortunate to see such a wonderful machine go up in smoke, literally!
Arch-Angel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 18:25   #112
BHPian

Yeah you would think at a event like this there would be fire extinguishers. If there was some around maybe the car wouldnt be totalled
i<3turbo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 19:29   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by i<3turbo View Post
If there was some around maybe the car wouldnt be totalled
Rather it raises question mark on arrangements that how and why no such precautions already taken on the track?

It is clearly visible in the videos that the Audi caught into fire, other cars were very close to and lot of crowd as well.

Very loosely organised event I must say.
Old 1st February 2013, 21:02   #114
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Rather it raises question mark on arrangements that how and why no such precautions already taken on the track?

It is clearly visible in the videos that the Audi caught into fire, other cars were very close to and lot of crowd as well.

Very loosely organised event I must say.
Do you really expect the supercar club to plan for such scenarios? Is a car catching fire in a Supercar Rally such a common thing that the organizers need to account for it during preparation?

I don't believe, we are being fair and reasonable here.

Edit: Please note that the car in question was NOT part of the rally. Is it the Supercar Club's responsibility to help and rescue any random car that got into trouble at a time that unfortunately coincided with their parade?

Last edited by SDP : 1st February 2013 at 21:06.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 21:20   #115
BHPian

I think you are getting me wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Is a car catching fire in a Supercar Rally such a common thing that the organizers need to account for it during preparation?
It doesn't matter the mishaps should take place before we start taking proper precautions. Its surely organizer's duty that they make sure about safe and smooth event organisation. Isn't it?

Quote:
Please note that the car in question was NOT part of the rally. Is it the Supercar Club's responsibility to help and rescue any random car that got into trouble at a time that unfortunately coincided with their parade?
Now see this, the car wasn't part of the rally, how come it came into the path? Shouldn't the roads had been cleared before rally took place? If it wasn't possible on that particular road than it should have been organised on some other place.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 1st February 2013 at 21:22.
Old 1st February 2013, 21:35   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Now see this, the car wasn't part of the rally, how come it came into the path? Shouldn't the roads had been cleared before rally took place? If it wasn't possible on that particular road than it should have been organised on some other place.
it seems you aren't following the rally news all these years. This was a rally, where cars drive at sedate speed surrounded by normal traffic and take off whenever and wherever they find a gap in the traffic. This was not a race which should have been organized on a race track or a closed road. IMO, the purpose of the rally is that the normal public can witness the cars they dream of very close to them and being driiven on the road. The public, hence, can also participate in the rally.

The sad point here is, that people lean out of the windows and drive rash just to ged a good pic/vid and that proves dangerous.

About the arrangements, the SCC had enough of police force stationed at critical junctions, more than any other day on the particular route. Even the organizers of the event had guards to keep people in control and I feel that the rally was organized exceptionally well. One sore point, the people who hang out of the windows, should be fined hereafter.

Also, if you haven't noticed in the video, GS left his TT gallardo at the side of the road and ran across to rescue the people in the R8. How many of us, in todays time would leave aside their 2cr. machine and run to help someone you might not even know. How I know? I was standing just next to GS's car when the R8 was going in flames. Respect for GS.

Last edited by carzone : 1st February 2013 at 21:47.
carzone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 21:38   #117
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think you are getting me wrong.

It doesn't matter the mishaps should take place before we start taking proper precautions. Its surely organizer's duty that they make sure about safe and smooth event organisation. Isn't it?
Somehow, I don't think so. Can a pregnant lady which is riding in one of the cars go into labour while the rally is underway? Should the organizers keep a ambulance ready which can handle a c-section? Sorry for the ridiculous example, but it is all about probabilities of an event occurring.

Quote:
..Now see this, the car wasn't part of the rally, how come it came into the path? Shouldn't the roads had been cleared before rally took place? If it wasn't possible on that particular road than it should have been organised on some other place.
Please refer to the "Parx Supercar show 2013" thread. The organizers have put in their point of view about the parade arrangements very clearly. Do you really believe that people with multiple supercars in their garage would not be able to influence the local administration to block of certain roads for a few hours? It was simply not done so that other road users are not inconvenienced.

Last edited by SDP : 1st February 2013 at 21:39.
SDP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 22:07   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
This was a rally, where cars drive at sedate speed surrounded by normal traffic and take off whenever and wherever they find a gap in the traffic. This was not a race which should have been organized on a race track or a closed road. IMO, the purpose of the rally is that the normal public can witness the cars they dream of very close to them and being driiven on the road. The public, hence, can also participate in the rally.
I agree that - what is the sense of organising such rally if general public can't see the supercars so closely.

Quote:
About the arrangements, the SCC had enough of police force stationed at critical junctions, more than any other day on the particular route. Even the organizers of the event had guards to keep people in control and I feel that the rally was organized exceptionally well.
That is also appreciated.

Quote:
Also, if you haven't noticed in the video, GS left his TT gallardo at the side of the road and ran across to rescue the people in the R8. How many of us, in todays time would leave aside their 2cr. machine and run to help someone you might not even know. How I know? I was standing just next to GS's car when the R8 was going in flames. Respect for GS.
That is so nice of him and I have been following his activities, have also seen some of his drifting videos. I am one of those who have been admiring his passion with respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
Somehow, I don't think so. Can a pregnant lady which is riding in one of the cars go into labour while the rally is underway? Should the organizers keep a ambulance ready which can handle a c-section?
IMHO keeping an ambulance and a fire brigade ready is wise which keep patrolling along with the rally. This type of precautions are taken care in developed countries during such events, why shouldn't here?

My point was that a little bit of more safety precautions could have helped and rescue operation could have started much earlier. No one can predict what is gonna happen in next moment but atleast lessons can be learnt form the recent incident.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 1st February 2013 at 22:09.
tbppjpr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 22:15   #119
BHPian

Actually i kinda agree with tbppjpr.

Yes the whole incident was handled in an amazing way, the police did a good job of clearing the traffic and also Mr. Singhania getting out of his car to help the people in the R8 even though they were not a part of the rally was very humane of him .

However i do agree that for events of such strata having an ambulance and a fire-brigade ready is a must. Also if there was a fire-extinguisher handy then maybe the R8 would not have been completely toasted. Although no one is going into labour, but what if there was a fire in one of the super-cars which had participated and what if the occupants were injured ?

One needs to keep such eventualities in mind.

Last edited by Enigmatic : 1st February 2013 at 22:16.
Enigmatic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 22:20   #120
BHPian

Quote:
My point was that a little bit of more safety precautions could have helped and rescue operation could have started much earlier. No one can predict what is gonna happen in next moment but atleast lessons can be learnt form the recent incident.
i second that. After this year's rally, i think, more safety precautions should have been in place. Atleast some extinguishers if not a fire brigade.
But, witnessing the burning of the vehicle, which was completly burnt to ashes in just 15 minutes, i doubt that the extinguishers must also have helped. Nevertheless, atleast this can be forwarded to the SCC for future events. IIRC, a member, some posts ago, also had given the suggestion.
carzone is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks