Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2013, 10:01   #1
Senior - BHPian

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition

My buddy, who we shall call ‘Yell’ hereon, called me sometime mid 2011 and -

Yell – Dude !! it’s time to buy an expensive car. It’s for my Dad. It’s time we bought him something he’ll enjoy travelling in. A status booster.
Me – aah. Ok..sounds like a Noble deed. What car’s do you have in mind? What’s your budget?
Yell- Dude, you are the car nut..my Budget is Rs 1 Cr. What cars come in that price bracket?
Me (Gulping) – Whaat !!?? you serious?
Yell – yes dude..why do you ask?
Me – useless..tell me what kind of car. I love the Mercedes CLS and I only vouch for that. Is that ok?
Yell- Dude, you know the roads near my house. I can’t take it outside my Compound forget the area.
Me – hahahaha..true..you live in Rural Bangalore.So what else on your mind?
Yell- SUV. No doubt in that.
Me – ok. We have quite a few SUV’s around Rs 1 Cr. We have the Porsche Cayenne, Mercedes GL, Audi Q7, The Range Rover Vogue/Sport, VW Touareg, Toyota Land Cruiser, Volvo XC90, BMW X5 and a few more.
Yell – Dude, the Range Rover is ugly..I hate the way it looks. We have 2 mercs already and don’t want another Merc, the rest we can see.
Me – when are you planning to buy? There are a few design updates coming up.
Yell- aahh..shortly. Not sure of the timeframe.
Me – nonsense. Call me when you make up your mind on buying and we’ll do this exercise. Now, let me do some Billable activity. I am a Salaried employee.
Yell – ok ok..I’ll call you.

Call he did..it was around Jan 2012.

Yell – dude..the time has come !!
Me – I know that but time for what ?
Yell – SUV time dude. I’m ready. Need to pick one up a.s.a.p.
Me – excellent. Now let’s continue where we left off. We were shortlisting.
Yell – Yes.
Me – ok..whats your take on the GL? I’ve driven one and am very impressed. It’s got some nice offroad gadgetry.
Yell – naaa..I told you buddy..No more Mercs.
Me – The Toyota Land Cruiser.
Yell – how much is it?
Me – around Rs 98L. comes with a V8 diesel and all. But then, it looks a bit anonymous. It’s a Toyota not a Lexus and for that price I think one should get a Lexus.
Yell – yeah. Next? BMW?
Me - the X5..hmm..X6 has more snob value. But then, I don’t know why, I don’t quite relate BMW to SUV’s. Buy a M3 and I’ll appreciate a BMW.
Yell- true.
Me – the Volvo XC90..its a very nice car but then, Volvo don’t even have a presence in Bangalore. No place you can go and see it too. I’ve not driven one so what I know is what I read.
Yell- What does it look like? I’ve not seen any. I’ve seen the VW Touareg. I don’t like the way it looks.
Me –that leaves us with the Porsche Cayenne, The Audi Q7 and the Range Rover Vogue..not the Sport. The RR sport is a bit confused. I can’t understand who their target audience is.
Yell – dude..not the Range Rovers..I don’t like the way they look. Seen the back? It looks so ugly. Forget it. I’ll choose between the Audi Q7 and the Cayenne. I’ve seen a Q7 up close and I absolutely love it. Howz the Cayenne?
Me – the Cayenne is a sports car. You say it’s for your father. I don’t foresee him having fun in the Cayenne. Who is going to drive it around? Are you going to use it too?
Yell – yes..of course. I’ll drive it around too. But mostly it will be him. My plan is to buy him a SUV and then me buy a 911. Howz that?
Me – not a bad idea. In fact these are some of the best words you’ve spoken in 32 yrs of your existence.
Yell (grinning) – I know.
Me – Between them both I’d choose the Cayenne. I love the engine in the Q7 and all that but then, there is something about it that doesn’t tug my heart. How many people are going to travel in it regularly? Where all are you going to use it?
Yell- max 3-4 people. Political meetings, social do’s etc.
Me – Then, why the heck are you buying a school bus?
Yell – what?
Me – the Q7..I think it’s a school bus. Anything that seats more than 4 – 5 pax , according to me , is a school bus.
Yell – dude. I love that car.
Me – I know that. But I want you to go see the Range Rover.
Yell – I hate its looks.
Me – it’s a car somebody who knows cars buys.
Yell – hmmm
Me – I suggest you go see the Range Rover Vogue in the showroom.
Yell- ok ok..Let me see what you’re talking so much about. What version is it? Where is the showroom?
Me – it’s the Range Rover Vogue..the Showroom is on Hosur Road nr Central Silk Board.
Yell – I’ll call you from there.

30 minutes pass by and then –

Yell – Dude!! This car is absolutely amazing !!
Me – which one?
Yell – they have one here. Maroon color.
Me – what model was it?
Yell – not the Vogue..it was something else.
Me – Find out. Also tell me how much is it?
Yell – it’s called the Autobiography and its at Rs 2.2 Cr.
Me – are you insane? Its more than twice your budget.
Yell – but dude..the engine sounded awesome. Rev it hard and it gives an awesome exhaust note. Like a sports car. You should see the interiors..it’s just pure luxury.
Me – hell yeah..the engine is a 5 Litre supercharged V8 from the XKR. No wonder.
Yell – Whatever but it sounded too good.
Me – ok ok..did you drive it?
Yell – no..they said can’t take this car out. I only revved it in the showroom.
Me – you are buying a Crore+ car..they ought to give you a test drive.
Yell – I asked..they won’t
Me- I’m sure they don’t think you are a buyer. What car did you arrive in? in your Hyundai santro?
Yell – no Bud..I went in the C Class.
Me – you just didn’t look like their typical buyer then.
Yell – but the engine sounded phenomenal. Anyway, I’ll call you later. I’ll go see the Cayenne.

In between, yell calls me 4 more times just to tell me how good the engine sounded. He has purely fallen in love with the RR Autobiography Ultimate Edition.

As much as I love the vehicle, I know how much lesser it will be used coz it is petrol..which is why I keep pushing Yell to go for the RR Vogue diesel.
All cars out..decision is between RR Vogue and RR Autobiography Ultimate Edition.

Last edited by GTO : 18th February 2013 at 12:55. Reason: No inappropriate language, not even indirectly
14000rpm is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 10:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition

In the meanwhile, the sales rep being the professional that he was, noticed that I have been influencing Yell's decision. He does the right thing..Manage the Influencer.

He comes over to my office in a RR Vogue Test drive car. I chucked all my meetings and hopped into the car and off we went. high speed driving, Hill driving, Off Roading etc. It was one hell of a machine. No wonder it is called the 4X4 Rolls Royce.
More about the drive later.

Now it turns out that this car, the Ultimate Edition, is a 1 in 500 edition around the world. This particular car was the only one in South India brought down for an earlier client. That got turned down and the Dealer was desperate to get it off their floor. Hence all the Selling.

In the meanwhile, with the decisions still hovering around, the Sales Rep silently takes the Ultimate Edition on a Flat bed and drops it in front of Yells house. Following the truck was the RR Vogue in which they were taken on an extensive Test Drive.

Post the drive, the Rep meets Yells father and :

rep- Sir, this car is yours for 3 days..post that, if you still don't like it, we will take it back..no questions asked. Take your time to think about it.

This Sealed the deal. Decision was made right there. Ultimate Edition it was.

We knew that the dealer had to push the car out a.s.a.p. and we chose that moment to squeeze out a few Lakhs as discount.

and that is how the Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition was bought.

Last edited by 14000rpm : 18th February 2013 at 10:09.
14000rpm is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 10:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-006.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-007.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-008.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-009.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-010.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-011.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-012.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-013.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-014.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-015.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-016.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-017.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-018.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-019.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-020.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-021.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-022.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-023.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-024.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-025.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-026.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-027.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-043.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-044.jpg
14000rpm is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 10:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-001.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-002.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-003.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-005.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-028.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-029.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-030.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-031.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-032.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-033.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-034.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-035.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-036.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-037.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-038.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-039.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-040.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-041.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-042.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-045.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-046.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-047.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-048.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-049.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-050.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-051.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-057.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-058.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-059.jpg

2012 Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition-rr-autobiography-ultimate-edition-060.jpg
14000rpm is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 10:26   #5
Senior - BHPian

THE RANGE ROVER AUTOBIOGRAPHY ULTIMATE EDITION

• The most luxurious Range Rover ever.
• First class levels of luxury for both driver and passengers
• Rear cabin now includes Apple iPads* as standard
• Hand crafted finest soft feel leathers and machined aluminum detailing
• Super yacht inspired teak loadspace floor
• Choice of the advanced LR-TDV8 or the effortless LR-V8 Supercharged

The new Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition, a hand-finished exclusive addition, made its debut at the 2011 Geneva Motor Show.

The flagship model adds a handcrafted luxury interior, using specially selected soft feel natural leathers, to an interior renowned for being one of the finest in the automotive world.

The driver benefits from the recognizable command driving position offering excellent visibility and comfort, and the rear passengers now experience first-class-style accommodation never before seen in a Range Rover.

Two stand alone electric rear seats enhance space and comfort for the rear passengers, making the Ultimate Edition the definitive chauffeur vehicle. The addition of a rear console extension, including a machined aluminum laptop table and drinks chiller, and two Apple iPads* as standard (the first car to do so), takes the Range Rover rear seat experience to new levels of luxury.

The luxury theme extends to the rear load space, with a super yacht inspired teak floor with metal and leather detailing.

The interior story is completed with high-end semi-aniline leather seating and Oxford leather on the door casings, dashboard top and steering wheel. For the first time, Kalahari wood veneers are used on the facia and door top rolls and unique interior colourways of either dark cherry or Arabica are available.

Two new unique exterior colours, either Roussillon Red or Otago Stone, are available along with body coloured door handles, dark atlas radiator grille and side vents to create a sophisticated finish. This Ultimate Edition is fitted with new and unique 20” multi-spoke diamond-turned alloy wheels, and unique tailgate badging. Customers also have the option of an Exterior Design Pack and deployable side steps.

It gets the world’s best sounding audio- the Harmon/Kardon Logic 7 1200 watt, 19-speaker sound system. Words cannot describe the sound reproduction this system is capable of.

The all-V8 engine line-up includes the superb new 4.4 litre LR-TDV8 Diesel engine with a new eight-speed transmission incorporating Drive Select with Paddle Shift as standard. This LR-TDV8 combines superior power with 313PS, 700Nm torque whilst delivering even lower fuel consumption and 14% less CO2 emissions than its predecessor in line with the stringent EU5 emissions standards. The combined cycle fuel consumption of the new LR-TDV8 4.4-litre is just 30.1mpg, making this the first Range Rover ever to better 30mpg.

The 8-speed ZF automatic gearbox tuned by Land Rover engineers to combine silky smooth shifting with exceptionally rapid response and improved fuel economy, catapults the Range Rover from rest to 60mph in a mere 7.5 seconds and complete the 50mph-75mph dash in just 5.1 seconds.

The LR-V8 5.0 Supercharged engine is also available delivering awesome power and torque, 510PS and 625Nm, propelling the Range Rover from 0-60mph in a breath-taking 5.9 seconds.

Both variants come with Land Rover’s award-winning Terrain ResponseTM system, which optimises the vehicle set-up for virtually all on-road or off-road driving situations, with five different settings to suit different terrains including new Hill Start Assist and Gradient Acceleration Control.

This Ultimate Edition was designed, engineered and manufactured in the UK and exclusivity is assured as each vehicle will be built to customer order only. 500 units will be produced and sold in over 20 markets globally.

Range Rover might signify luxury to many, but the brand decided to create a new range-topping edition with a wide degree of upgrades that make it about the most lavishly-equipped vehicle on the road. Called the Range Rover Autobiography Ultimate Edition, the new edition is the definition of luxury.

This new model oozes luxury and opulence from every crack and crevice

one of only 500 units to be built worldwide, with only 10 percent of those destined for U.S. consumption. The wealthy few to own the Autobiography Ultimate Edition will enjoy a hand-built coach that is more luxurious than anything Range Rover has ever created before.
14000rpm is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 10:27   #6
Senior - BHPian

Engine & Performance

Locking Rear Differential , Four Wheel Drive
V8 Supercharged, Petrol
Displacement: 5.0L
Horsepower (Net @ RPM): 510 @ 6000-6500
Torque (Net @ RPM): 461 @ 2500-5500
Transmission: Automatic
Turning diameter: 39.4
Fuel Tank Capacity, 105 litres

Suspension

Air Suspension
Suspension Type - Front: MacPherson Strut
Suspension Type - Rear: Double-Wishbone
Suspension Type - Front (Cont.): w/lower arms

Transmission

Automatic Transmission w/Manual Mode, 6-Speed Automatic
14000rpm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 10:49   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Great thread ! Super pictures and information loaded !

LR has made a smart move with this Ultimate Edition. They have made it quite similar to the new generation Range Rover, this helps when the buyer is on the fence between waiting for the new one and going in for the current. It also helps deal with the feeling of envy when you see the new version. Atleast now you friend won't feel as bad since he got almost 80% of the new car for a much cheaper price.

The interior are very very similar to the new version. On the outside, I find the alloys on this version very gawdy, wish they gave something more sporty.

Why did you friend not choose the Diesel version ? What's the ex-showroom price on this edition?
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 11:46   #8
Team-BHP Support

However superb the machine is, it looks a bit excessive and chinzy with all the extra embellishments

A back to back comparison with the new is that you really feel the high centre of gravity of this version. The new one is a vast improvement and add to that the reduced weight, it really makes a big difference.

Whichever version, I am in awe in what these can do off the road. It is pretty sad that most (90% accordingly to JLR) do not use more than 20% of the cars off road capabilities
Old 18th February 2013, 13:09   #9
BHPian

That indeed is first class luxury if not better. That is one b-e-a-u-tiful machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Whichever version, I am in awe in what these can do off the road. It is pretty sad that most (90% accordingly to JLR) do not use more than 20% of the cars off road capabilities
And why would they? If I was lucky enough to own this car it might not even leave the garage.
nair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 13:26   #10
BHPian

Despite being someone who's a massive fan of Range Rovers, I think the 'Autobiography' edition's not really one for the history books.
Firstly, when you're buying an RR, you want the diesel and not the petrol. Not just because diesel's the cheaper fuel, but because the diesel engine in the Vogue is so damn good - the low-end grunt and the range in the diesel are fantastic.
Also, one of the things that endured the Vogue to me is the classic lines and the elegant and understated appearance. This just looks garish.
I even like the new Evoque, but this one leaves me cold.
ghostrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 13:50   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Firstly, when you're buying an RR, you want the diesel and not the petrol. Not just because diesel's the cheaper fuel, but because the diesel engine in the Vogue is so damn good - the low-end grunt and the range in the diesel are fantastic.
Also, one of the things that endured the Vogue to me is the classic lines and the elegant and understated appearance. This just looks garish.
I even like the new Evoque, but this one leaves me cold.
+1 - The diesel was almost 90% as fun as the petrol. Only thing lacking was the sporty growl, responsiveness and less nose heavy which really matters if you are pushing it all the time.
Old 18th February 2013, 18:14   #12
BHPian

No adjectives would suffice this machine.
A V8 Supercharged, Petrol
Horsepower (Net @ RPM): 510 @ 6000-6500.
Such power and the unmatched luxury. I totally agree to "No wonder it is called the 4X4 Rolls Royce."
Thank you for the pictures. Lucky you!
Ritzvxi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2013, 21:23   #13
BHPian

Proper drool maal! It is the heavy weight in SUVs. Thanks for the detailed pics.
Two questions though :
1.What is the difference between the Vogue and the autobiography?
2.If sheer driving pleasure and fun factor is considered isn't the Cayenne in a territory of its own ?

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2013, 00:28   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Great thread ! Super pictures and information loaded !

LR has made a smart move with this Ultimate Edition. They have made it quite similar to the new generation Range Rover, this helps when the buyer is on the fence between waiting for the new one and going in for the current. It also helps deal with the feeling of envy when you see the new version. Atleast now you friend won't feel as bad since he got almost 80% of the new car for a much cheaper price.

The interior are very very similar to the new version. On the outside, I find the alloys on this version very gawdy, wish they gave something more sporty.

Why did you friend not choose the Diesel version ? What's the ex-showroom price on this edition?
Trust me..Pix do not do any justice to this car.

The supercharged petrol engine is simply awesome. It is the same engine that does duty in the XKR.

Once smitten by this engine, he could not go back to the Diesel.

In fact we had earlier considered buying a diesel Vogue and getting a Overfinch kit.

Quote:
However superb the machine is, it looks a bit excessive and chinzy with all the extra embellishments

A back to back comparison with the new is that you really feel the high centre of gravity of this version. The new one is a vast improvement and add to that the reduced weight, it really makes a big difference.

The new one is definitely good. no doubt in that.

But then, this car is all about luxury and it excels in that role. Finally it is doing exactly what it was intended for..Luxury Barge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nair View Post
That indeed is first class luxury if not better. That is one b-e-a-u-tiful machine.

And why would they? If I was lucky enough to own this car it might not even leave the garage.
lol. this car will do duty on occasional drives only. For the most part, it will be a 2013 Prado diesel that will do highway drives for him.

Quote:
+1 - The diesel was almost 90% as fun as the petrol. Only thing lacking was the sporty growl, responsiveness and less nose heavy which really matters if you are pushing it all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzvxi View Post
No adjectives would suffice this machine.
A V8 Supercharged, Petrol
Horsepower (Net @ RPM): 510 @ 6000-6500.
Such power and the unmatched luxury. I totally agree to "No wonder it is called the 4X4 Rolls Royce."
Thank you for the pictures. Lucky you!
its really the engine and the power that it makes that bowled him over.
The luxurious interiors are simply marvelous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octane_Power View Post
Proper drool maal! It is the heavy weight in SUVs. Thanks for the detailed pics.
Two questions though :
1.What is the difference between the Vogue and the autobiography?
2.If sheer driving pleasure and fun factor is considered isn't the Cayenne in a territory of its own ?

-Bhargav
Vogue is the base model per se. It still gets all tech. Autobiography only gets more personalized with luxury and the Ultimate Edition is as its says..Ultimate.
Old 19th February 2013, 00:38   #15
Senior - BHPian

the Test Drive.

During the entire exercise of shortlisting, the Sales Rep quite realized that I was making decisions for Yell.
So, one fine day he called me and fixed an appointment and came down in a Range Rover Vogue 4.4 V8 Twin Turbo Diesel.

I took some time to get this feeling deep into me that I'm actually going to be driving a Range Rover. Took some time to walk all around the car and appreciate the finer details of the car and then took my sweet own time to see some of the key features of the Vogue..the Terrain response, the touch screen control panel, the surround cameras, the works..
and then finally hit the Start button and shifted to D on the Auto 'box.

It helped that my office is in Jakkur on Bellary road. We quickly got onto the Airport road and started driving on. The 700 NM of Torque ensures Power delivery is seamless and efficient and gets the Vogue flying. Sometimes I think the weight of the SUV only helps it stay on the ground. it is easy to go from 0 to Speed ticket in max 5 mins. I drove on for a bit till I reached Kogilu cross and turned around. I knew for sure that there were no speed guns and I gunned the throttle to 170 kph. The paddle shift GB was fun to use. No the TD was not short lived..I had to go to my fave route for TD..behind the Jakkur Air Field.

The TD section - It is a mix of all kinds of roads one can find..high speed straight, Gradient, hard Chicane, rough roads et al. Any car I drive, I take it on this road..gives me the perfect blend of actual driving conditions. Also, it has no people. Quite safe for high speed driving.

Anyways, we then reached Jakkur Airfield and I then turned left after the compound wall onto my TD section. By now I was quite confident and knew how to moderate all the power..we then reached the Chicane section which I took at about 80-90 kph..the Boat like proportions was enough to get the Fear factor knocking me hard. It feels severely Top heavy. not surprising. We then did a few more high speed runs which it does with fair aplomb but then..this is an off roader..It certainly passed the Luxury bit thanks to the excellent Air Suspension. in fact I was curious to see the suspension Trickery.
It then dawned onto me that TDi racing's workshop is on the same road. I drove in and put the car on their ramp..Curiosity you know. studied its underside for a bit..we then chose to raise the suspension just so we could do some offroading..I drove out of the shop and found a place where the Median was not so tall. Switched the Terrain Response to Rocks and a light tap of the throttle later, we'd crossed it. I was zapped..the Sales Rep and the TD car driver were not..they'd seen better. I'd done more offroading in a Wrangler and was confident..not in the RR Vogue. not capable? no no..its the cost of the car and therefore the risk and expense of breaking one.
Anyhoo..I then decided to check the rear seats and let the TD car driver take over. Now this guy really knew how to belt the damn car. He chose a rough road..one that was metalled but not tarmac'd and did an easy 120 on it..woooww. I'd not have thought of it.

Driver : Saar, shall I climb that median?
me: Crazy? that is taller than the one I crossed. you may hit the underside.
Driver: we'll see.

and crossed we did with ease.

Driver : Saar, shall I climb that mound of sand and cross it?
me : why not?

He put the Terrain Response to sand and cross we did.

another series of such stunts continued climbing over Footpath, Rocks,etc etc..the car never gave up.

Respect.

This was the best TD I've ever done.

Phew..it took me quite a while to come back to reality.

The whole TD took 2.5 hrs atleast.

The Yell and family went on 2-3 such TD's.
14000rpm is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks