Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2006, 18:33   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12
Edit : The LS400 was launched first and then Toyota launched the Celsior in Japan. So the Celsior is a rebadged Lexus.
All the other Lexus' are Toyota derivatives.
That's true, no doubt. The point remains though that the Celsior is without doubt, the cheaper buy. Obviously, it's not expensive to rebadge the exterior, and hence many get the Toyota model imported to India. I've myself seen and sat in Celsiors in India, that have been so 'deceptively' transformed into Lexus' that their owners so openly boast about. One day, I guess I'll muster the courage to turn their cheeks red for the sake of a little fun.

Great cars though, no doubt. Annoyingly quiet.
Old 12th September 2006, 20:28   #32
BHPian

I dont think theres much deception involved in rebadging a toyota to a lexus. Only reason these cars were developed were for Lexus in the US market. And since they didnt launch Lexus in Japan they were released as Toyotas. But 1st and foremost I think they were developed as a Lexus. Ive seen Aristos and Celsiors and Altezzas and they have their Lexus characteristics. Every Lexus might be a Toyota but every Toyota isn't a Lexus.
Old 12th September 2006, 20:30   #33
BHPian

but i must admit the Lexus ES are redone Camrys and no true Lexus afficinado will buy an ES
Old 12th September 2006, 21:07   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEEM3R
I dont think theres much deception involved in rebadging a toyota to a lexus. Only reason these cars were developed were for Lexus in the US market. And since they didnt launch Lexus in Japan they were released as Toyotas. But 1st and foremost I think they were developed as a Lexus. Ive seen Aristos and Celsiors and Altezzas and they have their Lexus characteristics. Every Lexus might be a Toyota but every Toyota isn't a Lexus.
Your last line sums it up quite well.There's a clear ostentatious factor assosciated with having a Lexus LS400 and a Toyota Celsior, especially in India.

I've lived in Tokyo, and upon returning to Delhi, almost imported a White Celsior, but decided against it at the last moment, as it was far too low. It had a bodykit, 18" BBS Wheels, Black tinted windows and tan leather. It looked a million bucks, but was a bargain as it was a Toyota, and was incredibly common in Tokyo.
Old 13th September 2006, 10:37   #35
BHPian

that would have looked killer, do you have any pics of it? They can look really gangsta... I love the WALD kits for Lexus.
Old 13th September 2006, 15:43   #36
Senior - BHPian

I'm talking about 1998, so no pictures, I'm afraid.

Here is an LS400 which looks very similar to the one I'm talking about. The alloys were silverish-grey, rather than champagne, and obviously, the badge was a Toyota.

Old 13th September 2006, 16:13   #37
BHPian

That shape LS' have always left me cold. I mean the design was never offensive but never felt anything when I saw them...haha up until this one. This would have been insane in India. Low and how a sedan should look. Two thumbs up!!!
Old 13th September 2006, 17:40   #38
Senior - BHPian

Innit, my man?

Notice the European plates under the Japanese ones, suggesting it's actually an imported Lexus into Japan.

These cars used to be pretty decked up on the inside too. TV screens for front and rear passengers, picnic tables, the sound systems, you name it!

Last edited by aniguchisan : 13th September 2006 at 17:42.
Old 13th September 2006, 18:40   #39
BHPian

all that in 98 would have been insane when compared to what was in india at the time. I remember sitting in a Rolls Royce Silver Spirit here in chennai circa 97-98 and it had tv screens in the head rests and a hi8 video cassette player on the rear parcel shelf and thought that was the coolest and mostly cleanly integrated entertainment system at the time. Was the 1st car I felt I wanted to be driven in than drive. Funnily enough chennai had very few of these LS400s. There is the one after this and an LS430. Dont think theyre very popluar here. Quite a few of the last shape GSs have been doing the rounds of late. I remember the Madans had a lovely Aristo with the 4 litre when new.
Old 14th September 2006, 12:23   #40
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Talking about MPV's it was mostly Toyota's in those days. I used to see a couple of Toyota Previa's, Lucida's and Estima's and wonder why Toyota was not launching these models here in India. These would have sold more than the outdated Mercedes MB100/140. The design of the Previa was also very different and futuristic. Too futuristic by Indian standards. But I guess the design is catching up. The Innova would be as good as the Toyota Previa had it been a little lower and had 4wd and other features.

Just like all other Toyota models, the Previa was meant for the US markets whereas the Lucida / Estima were sold in the Japanese markets.

Other than the Previa's (and its derivatives) there were other MPV's too which were imported. There was the Nissan Serena, Nissan Elegrand, Toyota Granvia, Hi-Ace, Town-Ace etc.

Old 16th September 2006, 17:02   #41
BHPian

this is one of the best threads on team bhp...
awesome man..
Love it.
Old 25th July 2007, 15:11   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Infact all of the Lexus models are rebadged Toyota's. Lexus was created solely for the US luxury market but now its sold worldwide including Japan.

Lexus LS = Toyota Celsior
Lexus LX = Toyota Landcruiser
Lexus GX = Toyota Landcruiser Prado
Lexus SC = Toyota Soarer
Lexus RX = Toyota Harrier
Lexus IS = Toyota Altezza
Lexus ES = Toyota Camry

LEXUS ES= Toyota Windom not Camry
Old 25th July 2007, 17:38   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fx45 View Post
LEXUS ES= Toyota Windom not Camry
1989-1991: Lexus ES shared the same body as the Vista/Camry

1991-2006: Lexus ES shared that of the Windom

Last edited by aniguchisan : 25th July 2007 at 17:39.
Old 25th July 2007, 19:01   #44
Senior - BHPian

Another Toyota fairly common was the Toyota Crown Royal Saloon. I dont have pics but it was pretty luxurious.

Nice detailed subject V12. Very good read. Great job.
Old 25th July 2007, 19:57   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Another Toyota fairly common was the Toyota Crown Royal Saloon. I dont have pics but it was pretty luxurious.

Nice detailed subject V12. Very good read. Great job.
I had Royal/Super Saloons whilst in Tokyo! Good you brought that up. My friend's relatives have the '96 version in Delhi. When we moved to Tokyo in 1994, we had this Royal Saloon version:

By late '96, we purchased this Super Saloon, in exactly this same colour/trim, and kept it till we left back for India in 1998:

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks