Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2015, 16:05   #31
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Maintaining an imported car - How difficult & expensive can it be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtv View Post
Third picture with the Bentley in one piece, what is that car in the background?
Looks like a 1957/58 Plymouth Savoy, but the fins seems to be missing.

Could be the 1960 Buick LeSabre as well, not too sure.

Last edited by //M : 8th December 2015 at 16:07.
//M is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 00:37   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
Looks like a 1957/58 Plymouth Savoy, but the fins seems to be missing.

Could be the 1960 Buick LeSabre as well, not too sure.
That seems to be a 59/60 Chevy Impala going by the fins and the wraparound windshield design.
Impala59 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 01:03   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another problem is that high-end Europeans aren't reliable. This is especially the case as they age. They are loaded with gizmos & electronics making repair difficult. From the owners point of view, why throw good money after bad? That's why you'll see more of abandoned Germans than say, a Toyota Landcruise
The engine and transmission are reliable for forever. The electronics and gizmos kills it. Even the suspension like for the MKV jetta is pretty costly compared to the later ones.

Every part is costly when you go via dealer. But luckily there are so many places where you can pick these parts.

Most important question is, as a buyer are you ready to spend time if not money in case things goes wrong. It requires tremendous patience.

At the same time the pre electronic era cars are still some of the most reliable ones.

Noting beats an Honda though. It will run till you want to and still be sold at a decent price.

In fact only in India this Honda Accord resale is poor. All other countries the Accord is one of the most easiest to buy and sell car
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2015, 05:35   #34
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Almost all the German cars I have seen rotting / abandoned - be it a BMW, Merc or Audi - have been "grounded". And these are cars that are almost just a decade old. So what normally goes wrong with the Airmatic suspension? I understand that the Airmatic suspension system can be replaced with a conventional suspension system. But if the Airmatic is so much prone to fail - why not switch back to the conventional system - which could be much cheaper? Also when they say the Airmatic system or suspension has failed - what exactly is the problem? Is it a software / electronic related issue that can be fixed with a diagnostic tool or is it like a hardware failure (compressor or pump failing)?

Sorry for the multiple qyestions!
Old 9th December 2015, 09:31   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
So what normally goes wrong with the Airmatic suspension?

I understand that the Airmatic suspension system can be replaced with a conventional suspension system. But if the Airmatic is so much prone to fail - why not switch back to the conventional system - which could be much cheaper?

Also when they say the Airmatic system or suspension has failed - what exactly is the problem? Is it a software / electronic related issue that can be fixed with a diagnostic tool or is it like a hardware failure (compressor or pump failing)?

1: It should be treated as a wear and tear item - pumps and strtus need replacement. Instead, everyone waits for them to fail

2: People do not know or hanve not done research on this

3: Compressor failure, strut fails. Setting up the suspension needs a diagnostic tool - thats where we get held to ransom!
Old 9th December 2015, 13:25   #36
Senior - BHPian

While we're on to the topic of discussing costs related to maintaining an imported car, I was wondering if the additional tech and gadgetry that it comes along with is a necessary evil.

Found a very interesting article on TheVerge which detail a very genuine problem in forthcoming luxury barges - features becoming liabilities!

The author doesn't seem to be in denial of what is being discussed on this thread here as his last line says "The good news is that when someone buys the 2016 750i in 15 years, the gesture-motion sensors probably will have stopped working anyhow."
Old 11th December 2015, 23:37   #37
BHPian

Checking some other forums of BMW owners - some of them suggest the following for the BMW 750s

>Use good fuel, 91+ only. Use a fuel system cleaner every 5 tanks of gas. This will help keep everything clean to an extent. I recommend Techron or Redline SI-1, best bang for the buck.

What are similar alternatives here?

> Use Seafoam or BG44K through some Vac. lines on the engine every 10-15K miles. You guys will have carbon buildup thanks to all the EPA systems on the car to ensure low emmissions.

Haven't heard of this before. Is this something that even happens here?
Old 19th December 2015, 04:47   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Almost all the German cars I have seen rotting / abandoned - be it a BMW, Merc or Audi - have been "grounded". And these are cars that are almost just a decade old. So what normally goes wrong with the Airmatic suspension? I understand that the Airmatic suspension system can be replaced with a conventional suspension system. But if the Airmatic is so much prone to fail - why not switch back to the conventional system - which could be much cheaper? Also when they say the Airmatic system or suspension has failed - what exactly is the problem? Is it a software / electronic related issue that can be fixed with a diagnostic tool or is it like a hardware failure (compressor or pump failing)?

I don't know about those old W220's but usually air suspension does sort of collapse when the car isn't used for a while, at least from what I've seen. Fire the car up after a long time and she would lose her squatty stance and rise up again. So we can't be sure that all of those Merc's have busted air suspension!
Doge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2016, 23:58   #39
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Coming back to this thread - In the past 2-3 months, I have seen close to 15-20 Audi's on the road with either their suspension opened up or busted or kind of abandoned at garages. And its not the older Audi's - especially the A6 and the Q7. Could be a case of cars being bought cheap and the new owner is not able to maintain it.
Old 17th May 2016, 03:27   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Coming back to this thread - In the past 2-3 months, I have seen close to 15-20 Audi's on the road with either their suspension opened up or busted or kind of abandoned at garages. And its not the older Audi's - especially the A6 and the Q7. Could be a case of cars being bought cheap and the new owner is not able to maintain it.

Airbag failure is THE most common complaint. OEMs have not done a good job of

1. Designing a robust failure free air strut
2. Offering parts/fix at a reasonable price

Replacement cost of air strut is astronomical

There was a company that used to make coil strut replacement for the W220
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2016, 20:42   #41
BHPian

I have been noticing a BMW 3 series(E90) just sitting at a local mechanic for about 8 months. I had the intention of buying cheap if it was available, so I walked up to the garage and asked about the price. The garage owner was completely against selling the car saying the car is equal to scrap now. Apparently, something went wrong with the engine and the ECU and the BMW service centre wasn't able to solve it. The owner brought it to this garage claiming some other problem and abandoned it here. He says he is ready to sell it for the scrap metal cost.

The car had pristine interiors though.
Old 17th May 2016, 21:22   #42
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Mpower, I believe you meant Air suspension failure. Read a lot on international forums on the replacement conventional coil spring conversion for the Mercs.
https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...26_gid633.html
Old 17th May 2016, 21:26   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolithic View Post

Best to find another working e90 and swap the best bits if this is going for parts..
Old 17th May 2016, 21:41   #44
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monolithic View Post
I have been noticing a BMW 3 series(E90) just sitting at a local mechanic for about 8 months. I had the intention of buying cheap if it was available, so I walked up to the garage and asked about the price. The garage owner was completely against selling the car saying the car is equal to scrap now. Apparently, something went wrong with the engine and the ECU and the BMW service centre wasn't able to solve it. The owner brought it to this garage claiming some other problem and abandoned it here. He says he is ready to sell it for the scrap metal cost.

Could be a good donor car If you are planning to buy an E90.
Old 18th May 2016, 02:13   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Mpower, I believe you meant Air suspension failure. Read a lot on international forums on the replacement conventional coil spring conversion for the Mercs.
https://www.arnottindustries.com/par...26_gid633.html
Naah he meant the airbag in the air suspension. The rears usually have separate air bags (air springs), while they are integrated in the fronts, just like a normal suspension with shocks and steel springs.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks