Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2019, 05:34   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Are modern supercars ugly?

If you want modern supercars to perform, then you need to pick your design based on aerodynamics rather than looks. With the exception of the McLaren F1, most older supercars were not great in the performance department. Sure, they all looked brilliant, but a modern hot-hatch can run with if not take them apart in most performance parameters. Add to that the safety requirements (pedestrian, safety cell etc) and very few cars are going to be good looking. And finally, to round out the bad looks, comes the handling of modern supercars. Most are mid to mid-rear engine, and downforce is a necessity for these cars to handle in an idiot-proof way.

Sadly, in my book, have cars in general, and supercars in particular, been forced to cater to the lowest common denominator, that of idiot-proofing so that even the worst-skilled driver can operate it safely.
pganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 09:36   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hmmmm....agreed with all BHPians that aerodynamics might be playing a huge role here. But I think it's also to do with the evolving tastes of designers who feel the need to create something "extraordinary".

If it was only about aerodynamics, how come there are so many cars that still look clean (e.g. Ford GT40, 488 Pista, 911, Aston Martins)? And let's not overlook the nice looking sedans that are capable of 300+ kmph (AMGs & ///Ms).

The sweet GT40:
Are modern supercars ugly?-2017fordgt206.jpg
Source

Since we're on the topic of aerodynamics, the masters of the subject still manage to make these cars look better (other than the weird front wing due to the nasty FIA regulations)...
Are modern supercars ugly?-1.jpg
Source

...than their 1999 counterparts:
Are modern supercars ugly?-2.jpg
Source

and even 1989:
Are modern supercars ugly?-3.jpg
Source

Last edited by GTO : 9th May 2019 at 09:38.
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 10:38   #18

I don't think the trend of 'purposefully' ugly cars is exclusive to modern supercars. Almost all modern cars have lots of cuts, creases and CHROME. Simple, understated designs are few and far between.
Old 9th May 2019, 10:49   #19
BHPian

I am not sure if these can be classified as supercars but I love designs of these upcoming electric cars. These look simple and stunning at the same time. Roadster production variant will be same as concept. I hope Porsche doesn't screw up the concept which is absolutely gorgeous.

Tesla Roadster:
Are modern supercars ugly?-tesla_roadster_2020.jpg

Porsche Mission E (Taycan):
Are modern supercars ugly?-porschemissione2019_end.jpg

Last edited by sri_tesla : 9th May 2019 at 10:51.
sri_tesla is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 11:35   #20
Senior - BHPian

I generally feel that on average most modern cars are not that good looking. All the cars I consider to be great looking, were designed before 2000.

The reason I fell in love with cars was, because they way I thought they looked. Interestingly, the reason I am growing less fond of cars, is again they way most of them look currently.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th July 2019 at 08:29. Reason: Spacing
rrsteer is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 11:54   #21
BHPian

I don't think so.

There are many exceptions.

Like any Aston, Pagani Huayra, Porsche 918, Aventador, Audi R8, Jag F type and many more looks really nice.

Most modern super cars do have many cuts and creases which are functional to aid aerodynamics and cooling etc.

Also I believe a super car should look the part . I don't consider 911 as a super car (visually boring), for me a super / hyper car should have some flair in its design, some pantomime to qualify as a wall poster of my bedroom . As Richard Hammond once said, it should evoke the 9 year old in you.

I started to appreciate the elegance of classic super cars as I moved up on age . But when I was a kid my favourite super car was Lamborghini Diabolo.

Ask any 9 year old now, most of them will pick modern super cars over the listed ones on the second post, because they look like they will do a million miles per hour

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th July 2019 at 08:29. Reason: Spacing
Asish_VK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 11:59   #22
BHPian

The current Porsche 911 looks stunning and I feel it's one of the few cars that just gets the basics right without going crazy unlike the Ferrari and the Lamborghini....that being said I do like the La Ferrari and the Bugatti Chiron (except for those awful chrome finish alloys). In the classics, totally agree with every single post made there. My few favs would be the F40, Testarossa, the old 911, and the ever gorgeous Miura
Old 9th May 2019, 12:18   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Oh, I may be in the minority but the cars in the first post generally look better to me vis-a-vis the cars in the second post.
I totally agree with this. I feel that the Senna looks absolutely gorgeous. Not so much for the Gumpert though. There is a trend about the cars in the second post and that is that most of them have pop-up headlamps. While they definitely look beautiful, most modern hypercars, I feel, look way better.
Old 9th May 2019, 12:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

Sometimes I feel the term 'Supercars' is a "passé". This is the age of HYPERCARS.

Fast !! Very Fast !! Mind blowingly Fast!!

I agree some of them don't look pleasing to the eyes, but amount of engineering and technology involved is unbelievable. The carbon fibre monocoque of these cars weigh less than a small hatch, but its strength and stiffness is just unimaginable.

Here is small video how million $ Koenigsegg is crash tested.

RM Motorsports is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 12:28   #25
BHPian

Very similar to how I hate most of the recent Arijit Singh's songs (actually almost all recent Bollywood songs) versus how I still love Lucky Ali's 90's ones (and many other 90's songs).

Very old ones still remain timeless classics
Old 9th May 2019, 14:01   #26
BHPian

I thought I was in the minority when it came to modern super & hyper cars. Instagram & Youtube are full of these ugly beasts which belong on the sets of a Transformers movie than in a garage.

I prefer classic sports car DNA - Long low hood, short overhangs, two seats, front engine & always RWD. If M/T even better. Only exception is the Porsche 911. The car has a visceral quality about it.

My all time favorite sports cars (in no particular order).

Ford Mustang GT Classic
Porsche 911 Turbo (series 964)
Alfa Romeo GTA
Mercedes W113
Ferrari 275 GTB

Finally my modern sports car favorite - BMW M2.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th July 2019 at 08:30. Reason: Spacing
Old 9th May 2019, 14:08   #27
Senior - BHPian

Its human nature. We start liking the designs / songs etc we grew up with.

After a certain age, we just stop liking newer designs / songs etc. Case in point: I stopped liking newer English songs around 10 years back. For me, nothing beats songs like "Johnny be Good" by Chuck berry or "Lemon Tree" by Fools garden, "dancing in the dark", "river of dream" "sacrifice" and so on

Most of the people here north of late 30's will mostly dislike curvy car designs, including myself. But that is how the designs have evolved. Newer generation will like the things that they grow up with. We middle aged guys will keep liking cars we grew up liking.

vinit.merchant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 15:10   #28
BHPian

Slight OT as Mustang might not be in the extreme Super car league.

IMO I Love the mustang from 1964-65 more than the later iterations.

It has become butch & more aggressive but nothing beats the good ol Machine.

In Short new one is ugly
Attached Thumbnails
Are modern supercars ugly?-fordmustangevolutionslideshowlede.jpg  

Old 9th May 2019, 15:17   #29

I believe modern super cars looks much better in person than on a computer screen(McLaren Seena is an exception as it's an ugly car) this might be because your brain needs depth information as there are so many cuts, creases and opening which can't perceived week from a computer screen or a poster.

Once you see the car for a certain period of time and from all angles the looks kind of grows on you and you start appreciating the styling of the car this is also true for non super cars.
vibmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2019, 15:57   #30
BANNED

Of course! The Gallardo was the last palatable Lamborghini for me. Diablo and Murcielago were also very beautiful. I remember dropping some mayo and my jaw when I saw the Murcielago for the first time in the flesh - ~14 years ago.

I've never liked the bulbous design of the Porsche's but they do have a practical side to them. 911 is the best everyday-supercar.

Ford GT is the only modern supercar that I find beautiful.

Last edited by MaheshY1 : 9th May 2019 at 15:59.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks