Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2008, 02:50   #16
BHPian

Do you have to pay import duty for a TR car?

I heard that TR was recently abloished, so how does that work?
Old 25th September 2008, 12:04   #17
BHPian

saar , please look at the links that v16 has posted. they will tell you.
Old 25th September 2008, 15:09   #18
BHPian

Import/Export

So, you've just made a purchase and are ecstatic. You cannot wait to get your hands on it. Well, this sentiment is exactly what is going to help you deal with the next two sections. As it is said, discipline is remembering what you want, so keeping your aim in mind at all times will make the rough road ahead a little more bearable.
Now, if you're doing this all by yourself, you need to be perfection personified. If you've hired a dealer, the next two phases is where he has to earn his cut.

Advancing Forward: Import/Export

Preparing To Export
After your payment is confirmed, your car(s) will be prepared for shipment. Be aware that each country has their own laws concerning importing and India is no exception, so make sure you know what must be done before shipping (more on this later). It is important to complete research beforehand to save you from a lot of headaches, paying fines, or worse. If you take the time to learn more, the more likely you'll be able to avoid things "popping up". Also, having an experienced exporter that is helpful will make things a lot easier. It is imperative that what needs to be done in the home country, gets done BEFORE it is shipped.

Pre-shipment Inspection
Most countries require the car pass one or more inspections before it's shipped. For example, the JAAI Inspection (will cost you roughly 6,000 INR/$150 USD/¥15,000 JPY) is required by many countries including India, Bangladesh, Kenya, Mauritius, Tanzania, etc.

Preparing Documents
A Deregistration Certificate is necessary for Japanese vehicles being exported. It represents proof of change of ownership, the proper mileage, and the car's history. This is a win/win for both parties, pay attention to it.

Marine Insurance: Basic coverage costs around $100(about 4,600 INR) or, if you have a CIF agreement with your export agent, it is included in the price. It is optional at your risk, but covers any possible damage during shipping with two levels of coverage. First: Total Loss Coverage - Covers only when a car isn't recoverable. On a second level, there is Full Coverage - Covers Total Loss plus any other damage or theft. You may also want to consider your shipping method's risk levels - Ro/Ro (*) has more risk than Containers (*).
(*more on these later?)

If everything is completed (payments and processes), the car will be shipped and documents will be sent via courier mail. At minimum you should receive:
• Deregistration Certificate
• B/L (Bill of Landing)
• Customs Invoice

Lock and Load: Getting It Shipped
When ready to ship, the car(s) will be placed onto the next available ship for your destination. It can take 1-6 weeks for car to load onto a ship depending on weather the car has been deregistered yet and which shipping method is used:
• Ro/Ro: which is when a car is driven on and off a ship.
• Container: which is when a car is fitted in a container then sealed till arriving at your port

Home Soil: Arrival at the Port
Once the car(s) arrive at the port of destination (Nhava Sheva, Mumbai) you will receive an Arrival Notice, which announces your shipment's arrival. Additionally, anyone else listed to receive it in the Bill of Landing will also receive a notice.
Bring with you the original copy of the Bill of Landing along with the other necessary documents. With those documents, you will be able to take possession of the vehicle from this point forward which also means the exporter's job is completed. You can yourself (or hire an import agent to:Recommended) complete the final processes.

Now that you know, in a nutshell, the way the entire story unfolds, you will be able to correctly identify WHAT needs to be done and WHERE. Only thing you don't know is HOW MUCH(well not exactly atleast).

PS: I realize that the guide, especially the last two parts have become quite lenghty, therefore here is a quick review of the important things to remember:-

Quick Reference Guide
Quote:
Exporting vehicles is made easy with using a Japanese exporter and is highly, highly recommended that you leave the exporting process to them:

• Vehicle export agents are more practical and better value for low-volume exporting than doing it yourself.
• They have knowledge and experience specializing in vehicle exporting/and usually a good idea of the import laws in your country.
• They are able to move your vehicle faster and cheaper than you ever could do it yourself. Most importantly, they speak Japanese!

A Quick Importing checklist:

• Keep necessary documents ready; be ready to pay duty and other taxes or fees.
• Fill-in any forms Customs requires.
• You may also need to complete a car inspection and/or get temporary registration.
• Ask you local Customs Clearance agent what else is necessary.
• Remember to contact the necessary government agencies' before you begin.

Deciding whether to hire an importing agent: HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

• Useful if you don't want to spend time importing yourself.
• Remember that it is much cheaper to use an importing agent rather than an importer/dealer. Importers own the vehicle whereas importing agents act on your behalf.
• Hiring an importing agent may be compulsory in some cases.
Coming up: Inspection sheets, duties, some other stuff that needs to be explained, some elaborations etc etc.
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2008, 18:57   #19

look what i found for

[SIZE=+1]1.25240824 million Indian rupees[/SIZE]

TRUZZZ8JX71032852 - 2007 Audi Audi TT Coupe 2.0 TFSI - white - automatic air conditioning (climate control), television, cd player, alloy wheels, power steering, power windows, anti-lock brakes, guarantee, navigation
Old 6th November 2009, 04:07   #20

I was interested to read this article after seeing the prices you pay for performance Japanese cars (very expensive).We have an auction site in New Zealand that sells all manner of goods but cars as well. Here is the link Trade Me ? New Zealand online auctions and classifieds. Browse, buy and sell online on trademe.co.nz .
Old 18th March 2010, 03:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

Minimum engine size without homologation? Anyone help in ordering from japan?

I was wondering whats the minimum size you can order without needing to homologate it? Also is there anyone on here who can help importing of cars from Japan. If you want a specific Nissan not currently imported into india.

Thanks
Old 18th March 2010, 10:06   #22
BHPian

There are a lot of agencies for importing cars from Japan. However, they charge Rs 10-15 lakhs for the GT-R for which I enquired a Mumbai based importer. The minimum engine size I think is 2500cc for Diesel and 3000cc for Petrol. I'm not very sure though. That is the reason for delay in the Evo's launch - It has only a 2.0L requiring mandatory homologation
Old 18th March 2010, 21:05   #23
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, I am looking at the Fuga and the GT-R. I am sure if someone is serious those numbers will come down. Can you give me some names, since I am in US right now, I dont have access to that.
Old 15th March 2011, 09:45   #24
BHPian

Importing a used car from Japan.

Not that I think this is going to be doable anytime in the near future... given the recent disaster there...but...

When I was in Japan 8 months ago, I saw a beautiful Austin Mini Sport on sale for about a Lakh (INR) and I thought how amazing would it be if I could import it to India.

But someone told me that importing used cars is near impossible. Surely there's a petrol head story about how to get the car of your dreams and bring it here.

Any ideas?

Jehan.
Old 15th March 2011, 11:09   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Importing a used car from Japan.

Nope, it's not nearly impossible, though i have only bookish knowledge.
The JDM cars are the one's that are just correct for our market meeting all the govt. regulations and requirements.
But it has to meet the second hand import rules which can be looked in the Customs site.
Used cars from Japan make the most sense as most of them are used sparingly,that too for only an year or so, because of the tax structure there.
Myself was bitten by this 'import from Japan' bug a year ago for the Toyota Mark family.
A site which would be of use will be Batfa.com
Japanese New & Used Car, Cars for Sale, Toyota, Honda Japan
BTW, the import car should be manufactured in the country from where we import and also not older than 5 years.
Old 17th April 2011, 15:17   #26

JDM imports in India

Hey all,

Wondering if anyone on this forum has been through importing a JDM car, such as a supra, soarer, rx7, mr2, skyline etc.

Any businesses that specialize in this? Preferable if you know contacts in south GJ area.

Thanks,
Old 16th June 2011, 20:35   #27
BHPian

Re: Guide: Importing a Used Car from Japan

Hey guys

I was just came across this thread and I have to say its really informative. Thanks Amien for such a great compilation!

I was thinking about the import of small 2-seater Jap cars like the mazda MX-5, Toyota MR2, Honda S2000 etc since these are very rare/impossible to come across in India. Reading through all the threads on TBHP on importing cars to India, I still have a few doubts

1) should the car be STRICTLY less than 3 years old from the date of manufacture .:OR:. can older cars be imported by paying a fine?

2) in This website details of calculation of import duty payable are given.

Quote:
CIF value of imported cars / vehicles should be calculated for customs duty. CIF stands for Cost of the goods; Insurance; and Freight. Cost in case of new vehicles is the transaction value between the seller and the buyer. In case of old and used vehicles, the cost is calculated by taking the value of the vehicle in the year of manufacture after allowing depreciation at following rates.

Depreciation Percentage
Period of Usage Depreciation
For every quarter during 1st year 4%
For every quarter during 2nd year 3%
For every quarter during 3rd year 2.5%
For every quarter during 4th year 2%

Thereafter subject to a maximum depreciation of 70%

Customs Valuation of Used Cars

The value of any car has to be determined for purpose of customs duties. Customs valuation is determined in the following manner:

* Manufacturer's invoice value is accepted wherever such invoice is produced.

* When no such invoice is made available, the value is determined according to the world car catalogues available with the department or on the basis of manufacturer's price list, wherever available.

* Whenever the value is taken on the basis of World car catalogs, normal trade discounts are allowed to be deducted.

Value of a second hand car is arrived at in the above manner after allowing the deductions for depreciation explained in the table above, subject to maximum of 70%.

Total effective customs duty works out to 101.91%, which includes 35% basic customs duty; 10% surcharge on customs duty; 16% additional duty; 24% special excise duty; 0.125% motor vehicle cess; and 4% special additional duty of customs.
Customs duty payable on cars (in case of completely built unit or CBU) is approximately 111% of the value assessed. It includes 60% on CBU imports plus countervailing duties and other levies. In case of “completely knocked down” or CKD car models which are assembled in country, the custom import tax is only 38 to 48% depending on engine displacement based on EXIM policy and rules framed under it.
Okay from what I could make out from the above, I'm doing a rough calculation based on an example to see if my understanding of the law is correct

1. Found a 1999 Toyota MR-S in Japan

FOB Price is US$4,754 [INR 2,14,000] - (A)
+ Shipping estimate to Mumbai Port shown is US$811 [INR 36,413] - (B)

2. From this site found the cost of the car when new in 1999

Price when New - JPY 1,980,000 - [around Rs.11,00,000]

Since the car in question is 11 years old, how is depreciation calculated on this?? In the table after 4 years it's given Thereafter subject to a maximum depreciation of 70%

Does that mean 70% of 11,00,000 = 7,70,000

So, the Import duty works out to be 101.91% of 7,70,000 = INR 7,84,707 - (C)

3. Add shipping insurance, misc charges, bribes etc etc - no idea what these will cost ...but hey for the sake of guessing - INR 2,00,000 - (D)

So adding up

(A) FOB Price - INR 2,14,000
(B) Shipping - INR 36,413
(C) Customs Duty - INR 7,84,707
(D) Misc - INR 2,00,000
----------------
TOTAL INR 12,35,120

Is this guesstimation anywhere close to an actual cost which will be incurred to bring the car to Port? And after that is homologation required by ARAI? Also what does the point "Whenever the value is taken on the basis of World car catalogs, normal trade discounts are allowed to be deducted." mean??

7.84 lakhs duty on 11 year old car! And knowing that money is never going to be used to better or roads and infrastructure! I understand the tax structure on import of cars was created to protect our fledgling car Industry. We have developed so far since the yesteryears... I cannot understand why the import duties can be relaxed for niche cars like these?
Old 16th June 2011, 20:50   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post
1) should the car be STRICTLY less than 3 years old from the date of manufacture .:OR:. can older cars be imported by paying a fine?
I guess the car should be minimum 3 years old or more. As far as I know, the person who wants to import the car should have owned it for 3 years[min] abroad in their name and then only it is eligible to be imported.
Old 16th June 2011, 20:58   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I guess the car should be minimum 3 years old or more. As far as I know, the person who wants to import the car should have owned it for 3 years[min] abroad in their name and then only it is eligible to be imported.
Ah, so importing is only through Transfer of Residence? I thought individuals could import as well when the import laws were amended in 2001?
Old 16th June 2011, 21:40   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The above is applicable only for importing without paying any taxes(or is it 10%?)
By paying 103% tax,duty you can import any car as long as it meets the minimum price tag and engine size criteria fixed by the govt.
EDIT: soryy @swiftnfurious, i really meant to qoute @Games Goblin, not your post.

Last edited by DicKy : 16th June 2011 at 21:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks