Team-BHP > Super-Cars & Imports in India
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2011, 22:52   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Guide: Importing a Used Car from Japan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
EDIT: soryy @swiftnfurious, i really meant to qoute @Games Goblin, not your post.
Thats fine Dicky. We are all here to share info.

And there is a correction in my post. For a TR based import, the person needs to own it only for 1 year abroad and not 2 years as I mentioned. Also once you import, you cant change the ownership for next 2 years.

I was reading some other threads too which have similar information.
Old 17th June 2011, 11:49   #32
BHPian

Quote:
The above is applicable only for importing without paying any taxes(or is it 10%?)
So TR imports are tax free?

Quote:
By paying 103% tax,duty you can import any car as long as it meets the minimum price tag and engine size criteria fixed by the govt.
EDIT: soryy @swiftnfurious, i really meant to qoute @Games Goblin, not your post.
Dicky, so by paying the 103%, normal citizens like us can import? What is the minimum price tag and engine size criteria? Is there any restrictions on the age of the car which can be imported?
Old 17th June 2011, 12:41   #33
BANNED

How does one ensure a Japanese import is not a Tsunami affected one? One submerged, drowned in muck and filth then salvaged and cleaned?

--Ragul
Old 17th June 2011, 15:15   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Games Goblin View Post
So TR imports are tax free?
Dicky, so by paying the 103%, normal citizens like us can import? What is the minimum price tag and engine size criteria? Is there any restrictions on the age of the car which can be imported?
103% plus other taxes and so. Varies with different criteria.
If it's new cars you are looking at then the engine capacity should not be under 2500cc and cost under 40,000$, if not it has to be certified by ARAI.
Regarding second hand cars, it should be at maximum 3 years old and be roadworthy for 5 years including assurance that service and spare parts will be taken car of. Also the controls should be RHD configuration.
Any recent changes or other specifics have to be asked to he gurus.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2011, 16:39   #35
BHPian

Quote:
103% plus other taxes and so. Varies with different criteria.
If it's new cars you are looking at then the engine capacity should not be under 2500cc and cost under 40,000$, if not it has to be certified by ARAI.
Regarding second hand cars, it should be at maximum 3 years old and be roadworthy for 5 years including assurance that service and spare parts will be taken car of. Also the controls should be RHD configuration.
Any recent changes or other specifics have to be asked to he gurus.
Whoa!! If the car should be less than 3 years old, the cost of the car + 103% on the sticker price of the car+shipping+bribes+whatnot means our back will be broken! Wonder why they bother to allow us to import cars anyway, when the laws clearly give no hope to us normal folk to import a rare car from abroad..
Games Goblin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2016, 20:53   #36

Importing diesel/petrol-gas cruisers from Australia

Hi all, has anyone considered importing used Australian cruisers running on Gas / Petrol or Diesel? I am talking about the BJ40s or the 70 series vehicles. Would highly appreciate a feedback and procedure + customs issues and associated costs. What is and is not considered as a classic import in India
Attached Thumbnails
Guide: Importing a Used Car from Japan-1476717804380.jpg  

Mosalf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 09:51   #37
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Importing diesel/petrol-gas cruisers from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosalf View Post
Hi all, has anyone considered importing used Australian cruisers running on Gas / Petrol or Diesel?
You won't be able to.

Here's a summary I'd prepared a couple of years back. However, this was a work-in-progress and I can't guarantee that the information is up to date (though the fundamentals should be the same). Pasting below:

The basics:

• The car has to be a right-hand-drive. Left-hand drive automobiles are prohibited from entering the country (except for consulates and some other special categories).
• The Indian Government has entirely banned individuals importing cars whose engine capacity ranges from 1000 - 2500 cc.
• New Cars can be imported via the customs port at Mumbai, Calcutta and Chennai.
• Used cars can be imported from the Mumbai port only. Also, the used car cannot be older than three years (from the date of manufacture). The Exim policy of 2001 lifted quantitative restrictions on importing used cars.

On customs duty:

• The ex-factory price is used for calculating customs duty.
• The customs duty is a standard 102.16% on new cars
• The customs duty is pegged at 159.87% on used cars.
• To view the depreciation table of used cars, click here : Linky.
• Completed knocked down cars attract a customs duty of anywhere between 38 to 48%.
• Under the EPCG scheme, hotels / hospitality establishments are subject to minimal duty / taxes. However, they are subject to certain foreign exchange requirements.
• If you import from Europe, you will get a refund of the VAT (value added tax).

On transfer of residence:

• The most popular way of importing a car to India is via the “Transfer of residence” clause, where any Indian (settled abroad) who is relocating to India can get his car along. He should have owned the car for atleast 12 months in the foreign country. Upon import, the car cannot be sold for 2 years (from the date of import).
• The NRI importing the car should have lived overseas for atleast a 2 year duration.
• The payment for the car should have been made abroad.
• The car must be imported within 6 months of the NRIs arrival into India.
• Under this scheme, the customs duty must be paid in foreign exchange. If a handicapped person is importing the car, then the customs duty may be paid in Indian rupees. Official permission is required before selling the car in India.

On who can import

• Any individual can import a car whose value is more than USD 40000. There are no restrictions on the imports of these cars. So as most of the exotics are above that value, they can be imported freely and not necessarily on T.R.
• Foreign nationals (including persons of Indian origin) married to Indian nationals. The methodology adopted by Customs authorities in assessing duty on a motor vehicle is based on the ex-factory price on the date of original purchase. Adjustments are made for:

1) Foreign nationals working in India.
2) Branch/Offices of foreign firms, Companies and institutions established in India.
3) Companies incorporated in India having foreign/NRI equity
4) Accredited Journalists/Correspondents of foreign news agencies.
5) Indian firms executing contracts abroad.
6) Charitable and Missionary Institutions.
7) Physically handicapped persons.
8) Honorary Consuls of Foreign Governments.

On paperwork and documentation required:

• Cars costing more than $40,000 do NOT have to undergo homologation from the ARAI. If the cars value is less than $40,000, the vehicle has to be submitted for testing to the VRDE (Vehicle Research and Development Establishment), Ahmednagar, of the Ministry of Defence or the ARAI (Automotive Research Association of India), Pune or the Central Farm and Machinery Training and Testing Institute, Madhya Pradesh or any other notified testing agency by the Government.
• The importing agency is expected, at the time of importation, to submit a certificate issued by a testing agency (notified by the Central Government) that the second hand vehicle being imported has been tested immediately before shipment and that the vehicle conforms to all the regulations specified in the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988.
• The second hand or used vehicle imported into India should have a minimum roadworthiness for a period of 5 years from the date of importation into India with assurance for providing service facilities within the country during the five year period. For this purpose, the importer shall, at the time of importation, submit a declaration indicating the period of roadworthiness in respect of every individual vehicle being imported, supported by a certificate issued by any of the testing agencies, which the Central Government may notify in this regard.

Miscellany:

• What’s listed above is what the rules say. Please don’t state that you saw a LHD (or something similar) since these rules are broken consistently. Bribing is rampant and some of the rules you read above may have been bypassed (unfortunately).
• Beware of dealer rackets. There have been several well-documented cases of an imported car dealer manipulating the import documentation. In case the long arms of law catch up, it is the owner (and not the dealer) who is liable to pay duties, taxes and fines.
• The rebadging racket is rampant in order to qualify for lower custom duties. For e.g. a BMW M5 may be rebadged to a BMW 525 and thus show a lower invoice price.
• It’s best to hire the services of a competent and reputable clearing agent who is well familiar with the process of importing a car. This can save you a lot of running around and headaches.
• Since the customs duty on spare parts or completely knocked down kits is significantly lower, it is not uncommon for an importer to strip a car (of seats, headlights, tyres etc) and document it as a CKD.

Official websites:

• http://www.dgftmumbai.nic.in/
• http://www.mumbaicustoms.gov.in/
• http://www.indian-embassy.dk/Pages/i...20of%20car.htm
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 15:07   #38
BHPian

On transfer of residence:

The duty for the car can be paid in Indian rupees.
Below 3000 cc the duty is around 120% of the value assessed by a vehicle surveyor and around 220% if above 3000 cc
Sem80-88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2016, 14:42   #39

Re: Importing diesel/petrol-gas cruisers from Australia

@GTO, Thanks for the highly comprehensive note.

Few points below, I have added my note to your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

The basics:

• The car has to be a right-hand-drive. Left-hand drive automobiles are prohibited from entering the country (except for consulates and some other special categories). From Australia the car is RHD
• The Indian Government has entirely banned individuals importing cars whose engine capacity ranges from 1000 - 2500 cc. Why would they even bother allowing us to import anything. The diesel engines are 4.2Ltrs. The petrols are 4.0 or 4500
• New Cars can be imported via the customs port at Mumbai, Calcutta and Chennai.
• Used cars can be imported from the Mumbai port only. Also, the used car cannot be older than three years (from the date of manufacture). The Exim policy of 2001 lifted quantitative restrictions on importing used cars -
Has anyone attempted on importing toyota classics? Like the FJ/BJ 40? Would a classic import be treated differently? LHD allowed?
Mosalf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2017, 16:40   #40
BHPian

Has anyone succeeded in importing a used Toyota Celica or MR2 from Japan? I have a friend stationed in Japan who will live there for considerable amount of time (>1 year). While I can find a car for sale there without difficulty, what I need information on is the importing of the car, homologation and associated formalities. Would be happy to speak to someone who has done this personally. Please PM if you have done this and do not mind helping a fellow car enthusiast
Old 20th November 2017, 09:09   #41
BHPian

I am currently on a one year assignment in Japan. Due to return sometime in May 2018.

I see the used car market here to be awesome here and with the new GST rules kicking in, the import duty may have seen a fall (IGST + Cess for SUV's at 50% and other cars > 1500cc at 48%).

Since I live here for less than two years, I cannot claim transfer of residence. However, I wonder if it makes sense in the new GST regime?

Anybody who has looked at this option post GST?
Do i still need to satisfy the >40,000 USD criteria?
Is the Criteria of >2000cc also applicable?

Wonder if it is worth the hassle at all, but since I am here and can actually look and choose from the local market, I thought it may be worth the effort to at least try.

Any pointers please. Almost all threads on this topic I found at prior to GST regime and therefore has a massive difference in terms of regulation and duty.

Regards
Shreyas

PS: I live in Yokohama quite close to Tokyo, so if anybody needs any assistance here, can let me know for checking or negotiating anything (only non-commercial deals, I am not doing this for money).
shreyasmrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2017, 21:39   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyasmrao View Post
I am currently on a one year assignment in Japan. Due to return sometime in May 2018.

I see the used car market here to be awesome here and with the new GST rules kicking in, the import duty may have seen a fall (IGST + Cess for SUV's at 50% and other cars > 1500cc at 48%).

Any pointers please. Almost all threads on this topic I found at prior to GST regime and therefore has a massive difference in terms of regulation and duty.

To the best of my knowledge a used car cannot be imported unless

A - It is via Transfer of Residence in which case it has to be RHD only.

B - It's a Vintage car imported under the pre-1950 rule where LHD is allowed as well.

Unless you're an automaker. In which case you can import anything in the name of R and D.
Old 6th September 2019, 17:39   #43
BHPian

Friends wanted to know if there is any resource available that can help me navigate the legal aspects of importing a used motorcycle from Japan? This is with specific focus on the paperwork/process/duties on our side of the deal.

Many thanks for your inputs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks