enjoy !
Attached Thumbnails
PWRS : Porsche World Road Show 2008-14.jpg  

PWRS : Porsche World Road Show 2008-25.jpg  

PWRS : Porsche World Road Show 2008-65.jpg  

Old 27th November 2008, 18:51   #32
BHPian

Thanks Rehaan

The front lip is part of the after market aero kit the car came with (to me at least)

I am currently in the process of restoring the car.

The car was a wreck when i bought it - it didnt even have an ECU! I had to load it onto a truck to take it away from the owners house.

Since then I've had the engine rebuilt and the suspension and the exhaust replaced - in adition to countless minor things that needed doing.

the front lip for example was actually split - Ihad to glue it together and then repaint it.

I,ve had the paint retouched and clear sprayed - but will undertake a complet paintwork restoration after driving it for a while.

The car goes like a rocket now - and is very very involving (and exciting) to drive.

This is the second car I am working on - the first is an MR2 turbo that I've restored to mint.
Old 27th November 2008, 21:18   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty dog View Post
The car was a wreck when i bought it..... The car goes like a rocket now.
Awesome piece of work. Your passion is very commendable. Nice to see the older versions of porsche in such a lovely condition.
Old 27th November 2008, 22:50   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
are these cars in Mumbai speedy?
Yes these and a few more are in Bombay. The last count i had of the 993's in Bombay was 6 along with two classic (pre 70) porsches. this count is three years old. Four cars i know are here for sure the rest i have to find out if they are still in Bombay or sold to other states. One of them was a convertible.

I see the car has come a long way from when you released pictures when you just got her. Great job done and if you permit would love to see her in person sometime. I am looking out for one too.

Last edited by speedy : 27th November 2008 at 22:52.
Old 28th November 2008, 07:38   #35
BHPian

I'd love to meet up with other older Porsche owners. And you are welcome to see the car Speedy - sharing the car with other afficianados and enthusiasts is part of the joy of owning these cars.
Old 28th November 2008, 11:46   #36
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats a very well restored / maintained 993 saltydog. Would suggest you to remove the black sticker on the rear fender and door sills. And have the headlight washers painted in the body color. Would make a huge difference to the overall look.

P.S Any pics of the rear
Old 28th November 2008, 13:33   #37
Senior - BHPian

Sweet ride, salty dog. Very well restored and maintained. Lots of hard work, dedication and money gone into it, I see.
Your username should have been lucky_dog.
Just kidding bro!
Old 28th November 2008, 21:19   #38
BHPian

I agree V12. So far I've been focussing on getting the car in good mechanical shape. I've retouched the paint and clear sprayed the car more as a measure of protection. I will eventually repaint the car - bare metal up. Concurrently I will replace all rubber parts including inserts and seals.

I am pacing it both on account of time and resources. The cost of spares is on average twice that of the equivalent ones for the current 911s. I am determined however to restore the car to as mint condition.

Thanks for the suggestions
Old 28th November 2008, 21:41   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'd love to meet up with other older Porsche owners. And you are welcome to see the car Speedy - sharing the car with other afficianados and enthusiasts is part of the joy of owning these cars.
I would love to take you up on your offer any time you are ok with it. I shall try and bring my uncles porsche along.
We are planning to hold another meet and drive for only sports and supercars of modern times. The last run was for all cars (Vintage and Modern). So you would meet some of the owners. Last time in the modern cars we had The 348 and the 993 (blue) there. This time there will be many more.

Quote:
I agree V12. So far I've been focussing on getting the car in good mechanical shape. I've retouched the paint and clear sprayed the car more as a measure of protection. I will eventually repaint the car - bare metal up. Concurrently I will replace all rubber parts including inserts and seals.

I am pacing it both on account of time and resources. The cost of spares is on average twice that of the equivalent ones for the current 911s. I am determined however to restore the car to as mint condition.

Thanks for the suggestions
I dont know but i kind off like it the way it is. The car gets a little more charector, and the lines a little more sporty and meaning. The rubber near the Windscreen and top get grazed or worn out faster in a convertible. So before the monsoons pls do have them checked or replaced. I faced it in the Caddy. What colour do you plan to repaint her?

You bet the prices of the parts would be more expensive than the current line of Models. I have the same issue with the BMW and also we faced it with my uncles 911. The car with regular running and even in its fabulous state would remain in mint. The Key to keep them in Perfect state is to run them atleast twice a week, even if it means a 2km run.
Old 30th November 2008, 16:59   #40
BHPian

@ Salty dog,
i loved the pictures of your car. its looking even better in pictures somehow. i really tried hard convincing you on how good these new generation porsche sports car really are?, whether it be the New 911, or the cayman s, but all went in vain it seems. but it was great talking to you over dinner that day.
i am so sure you loved the cayman s though as you agreed as soon as you drove it.

It was a great event. i did not have slightest of an idea what was i dealing in untill i drove these engineered to perfection cars and fell in love with them all over again.
Attached Thumbnails
PWRS : Porsche World Road Show 2008-22112008375.jpg  

Old 1st December 2008, 10:54   #41
BHPian

Right Doctorque

I think the Cayman S is an excellent car. My point isn't that these cars aren't great - they certainly are.

My limited point is that they somehow don't feel like the old 911s. However I do agree that they are a natural outcome of progress and market dynamics.

The older 911s look, feel and rive a certain way that made them very appealing to a limited number of die hard fans.

In fact I remember an old write up that qouted Ferry Porsche wherein he said "he wanted to build cars that were'nt something to all but everything to some".

The current lineup you'll agree is not quite in keeping with that philosophy.

Like I said the other night - the only thing missing in the line up after the pannamera is a bus!

On the flip side however its far easier to own a new Porsche and not have to deal with constantly surfacing gremlins and restoration and out of production parts.

The problem is also that the people at Porsche are only in the selling business - and not one one them seems to have seen Porsche of more than a few years ago - leave alone have any understanding of its history or cult.

Which is not just a pity but downright tragic.

For most of them its like moving from selling kinetic honda scooters to selling 911s.
Old 1st December 2008, 21:10   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Right Doctorque

I think the Cayman S is an excellent car. My point isn't that these cars aren't great - they certainly are.

My limited point is that they somehow don't feel like the old 911s. However I do agree that they are a natural outcome of progress and market dynamics.

The older 911s look, feel and rive a certain way that made them very appealing to a limited number of die hard fans.

In fact I remember an old write up that qouted Ferry Porsche wherein he said "he wanted to build cars that were'nt something to all but everything to some".

The current lineup you'll agree is not quite in keeping with that philosophy.

Like I said the other night - the only thing missing in the line up after the pannamera is a bus!

On the flip side however its far easier to own a new Porsche and not have to deal with constantly surfacing gremlins and restoration and out of production parts.

The problem is also that the people at Porsche are only in the selling business - and not one one them seems to have seen Porsche of more than a few years ago - leave alone have any understanding of its history or cult.

Which is not just a pity but downright tragic.

For most of them its like moving from selling kinetic honda scooters to selling 911s.
Awesome post salty_dog, couldn't agree with you more.
The founders were into building up a brand name, reputation, heritage et al, whereas today people are working towards catering to larger and varied sections with the intention of increasing sales and earning higher revenue by making use of established brand names.

Last edited by Jayabusa : 1st December 2008 at 21:18.
Old 1st December 2008, 23:06   #43
BHPian

I completely agree with Jayabusa and salty dog, even though I see no fault with the current generation Porsche models.

And salty dog should be congratulated for keeping his prized possession i.e the 993 in immaculate condition!!

Last edited by Speedophobia : 1st December 2008 at 23:08.
Old 2nd December 2008, 10:27   #44
BHPian

Thanks speedo

I did come across a thread some time ago where someone had put the entire history of Porsche vehicles - model by model - it was very well done with lots of hard work - you folks should try and read it.

Do folks from team bhp meet up and do drives and stuff. How does one participate?
Old 3rd December 2008, 17:29   #45
BHPian

@ Salty Dog, Speedophobia, Jayabusa

Well till a certain extent i agree with whats been discussed.

But there is no Automobile manufacturer in the world which is putting commercial interest behind the CULT, so its not just Porsche.

Even BMW president said sometime "We would rather stop making cars than making cars which are boring to drive". But if we see the lower engine models of the whole line up from a 3 series to a 5 or a 7, they always have a 318i, 520d or a 730ld to give them more numbers to make some kind of commercial sense.

I am not comparing these 2 brands as there is not much of a comparison, but the basic idea i want to put accross is that at the end of the day what matters is how much money you end up making.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks