Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2011, 20:27   #46
BHPian

Re: When Harley Came to Bidar!!

You know Harley is one of those dream bikes, that all bikers always want to put hands on. Being an avid Bulleteer for close to two decades now, I was always fascinated and wanted to own one. One of my friends recently bought the Super Low and I took it for a spin on the Bangalore airport road. Amazing bike I must. can't get a better feeling than having 900cc under your bum.
But then came the twist. You see most of us Bulleteers are more fond of touring long distances. Now thats where a Harley can have a disadvantage on Indian roads.
So suddenly, I have become more of a BMW 650 (Dakar rally) fan, because its more of high speed long distance cruising.
I guess it depends upon what we want from our machines, irrespective of which one.
Cheers
Old 3rd October 2011, 21:21   #47
BHPian

^^ Am surprised that you say this Karlison, because, as far as I know, Harleys are excellent touring bikes! The Fatboy and the Softail that I tried out actually had cruise control for cruising on highways. The balance and the suspension setup of the rides as well as the seats and seating position all had the makings of a great tourer. The Superlow on the other hand seems more apt for city riding, but, a few mods like change the handlebar and the seat, both legally in the HD showroom and you will have a lovely cruiser!
Old 3rd October 2011, 22:22   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlitoz View Post
So suddenly, I have become more of a BMW 650 (Dakar rally) fan, because its more of high speed long distance cruising.
I guess it depends upon what we want from our machines, irrespective of which one.
Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by neel385 View Post
^^ Am surprised that you say this Karlison, because, as far as I know, Harleys are excellent touring bikes! The Fatboy and the Softail that I tried out actually had cruise control for cruising on highways. The balance and the suspension setup of the rides as well as the seats and seating position all had the makings of a great tourer. The Superlow on the other hand seems more apt for city riding, but, a few mods like change the handlebar and the seat, both legally in the HD showroom and you will have a lovely cruiser!
Actually the HD's can be ridden all day on good roads but no so much on bad/ no road.

The BMW R1200 are excellent on those aspects and can take a lot of abuse. Ewan Mc Gregor and Charlie Boorman rode them on Long Way Down through Africa. A friend in UK has got hold of both the R1100 and the R1200 and I hope to lay my hands on then once there. The Harley's are no match to these beemers!

Cheers
Old 3rd October 2011, 23:23   #49
Senior - BHPian

I think what Karlitoz was refering to has to do more with the fuel tank capacity of the HDs. Specially the models which are currently on offer in India. If I am not mistaken some of them have really "peanut sized tanks". Invariably all the models will need refuelling with in 200-225 KM. Models like 48 will need even sooner.

While BMW 650 Dakar has a range of about 600 KM.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Old 4th October 2011, 09:26   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
If I am not mistaken some of them have really "peanut sized tanks". Invariably all the models will need refuelling with in 200-225 KM.
Ram,
Agree to your view here, the affordable HD's in India have a very less tank range. 48 has only 8 liters giving it a range of a little above 125 KMs which makes them very poor cruisers. True style cruisers are like upwards of your Street Bob where the minimum tank capacity is around 18 liters.
Old 4th October 2011, 13:13   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
I think what Karlitoz was refering to has to do more with the fuel tank capacity of the HDs. Specially the models which are currently on offer in India. If I am not mistaken some of them have really "peanut sized tanks". Invariably all the models will need refuelling with in 200-225 KM. Models like 48 will need even sooner.

While BMW 650 Dakar has a range of about 600 KM.

Best Regards & Drive/Ride Safe

Ram
Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Actually the HD's can be ridden all day on good roads but no so much on bad/ no road.

The BMW R1200 are excellent on those aspects and can take a lot of abuse. Ewan Mc Gregor and Charlie Boorman rode them on Long Way Down through Africa. A friend in UK has got hold of both the R1100 and the R1200 and I hope to lay my hands on then once there. The Harley's are no match to these beemers!

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Ram,
Agree to your view here, the affordable HD's in India have a very less tank range. 48 has only 8 liters giving it a range of a little above 125 KMs which makes them very poor cruisers. True style cruisers are like upwards of your Street Bob where the minimum tank capacity is around 18 liters.
The Harleys are definitely very nice machines, but the Beemers are way ahead of them in all aspects. Fuel tank capacity for one, but the most important being the ability to tackle any kind of terrain. Harleys are also good cruisers but I guess they need really good roads or some mods to increase the clearance. Also, the handling of Beemers is much more lighter and comfortable than a Harley. But I guess at the end of the day, either one in our stable will look good, and surely feel good. We just have to decide which one to take out when
Old 4th October 2011, 14:28   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlitoz View Post
But I guess at the end of the day, either one in our stable will look good, and surely feel good.
Needless to say the BMW Adventure 1200GS is one of my dream machine along with a street bob. There will be no end for the lust right

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks