Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2012, 12:08   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: From a legendary sportbike to a legendary globe tourer BMW R1200GS

James: Yes engine guard is on top of the list of parts which are to come very soon.

A small note on the fuel I have used till now.
Although this is a high compression engine, it has a knock sensor which works rather well. I have been using normal fuel on this bike. Normal being the HP power fuel. I don't think its high octane. The bike does not knock or ping with this fuel. I have been told that it becomes a different beast with 95+ octane but since that is not available in Dehradun, I have used it yet.
I have clocked over a 1000 Kms already on the bike. Yes do keep in mind that I have been home for approximately 12 days since buying the bike. I am at IIT Kanpur the rest of the time. Hope to put more miles in end of July when I will be home for about 15 odd days.

Also the first Service is due end of this month. BMW service crew will come over to Dehradun for the same. Its a basic oil and oil filter change service. Hoping to see the same great experience which I have gotten used to from Deutsche Motoren.

By the way since the implementation of Bharat Stage 4 emissions, haven't the pumps got 91 octane as standard? Or is it the same 87 Octane?

Oh yes another thing that skipped my mind is mentioning Triumph.
When triumph announced that it was coming to India with all guns blazing I was delighted. I love the Bonneville. And before the expo, the plan was to keep a bonneville and a tiger in the garage. But the price of the tiger dissuaded me a bit. I don't know why but compared to the Bonneville at a lip smacking price of 5.5L, the 12L price of the Tiger did seem a bit too much. Then the dilly dallying of the launch date for the triumph bikes made me rethink about waiting for a triumph. The Bonneville is still a bike I absolutely adore. I am not sure whether I will buy a Bonnie later in the future or not.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 16th May 2012 at 12:15.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 12:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
By the way since the implementation of Bharat Stage 4 emissions, haven't the pumps got 91 octane as standard? Or is it the same 87 Octane?
Regular Unleaded Gasoline is now 91 Octane all over the country Navpreet.

Here are a few links on the same:

http://www.iocl.com/Products/GasolineSpecifications.pdf

http://www.iocl.com/Products/MS_BS_I...0_Current_.pdf
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 14:23   #18
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Whoa great great choice navpreet318 !! Congratulations.

I love the pic of the bike in the water. The R1200GS is huge and is a perfect choice. The saddle is highly comfortable and the tall stance makes very light work of the traffic. Superb choice sirji.
//M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 16:19   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on your BMW and do ride safe!

I'm absolutely appalled at the treatment metted out to you in the Harley Dealership. It reeks of poor training, poor attitude or both. I have forwarded your thread to Harley Davidson India to show them the customer they lost. Hopefully, they force the rogue dealer to pull up his socks.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 16:31   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
On this bike, we are riding together all the time and a small 50 kms or one hour ride becomes a 200 kms or quite a few hours ride. We just love riding this bike. Supremely comfortable and pretty frugal too. About 16-19 kmpl I have been averaging in the run-in period which is due to increase as the bike settles in. It should hover around the 20kmpl mark soon. and with 20L in the tank, the range becomes pretty good.

Life finally is good and this bike has fit into MY life and enriched it as well.
While one may pose around on whatever bike one chooses. Riding around on them isn't as easy if you wish to, and touring two up? Forget it.

Precisely the reason I am sticking with my 250R for some time.

And your FE is pretty close to what I am getting inside city confines.

Quote:
, one can only ride a harley to CCD or McDonalds. Thats it. No other roads would let the rider enjoy the ride.
HD's are for that. For real riding, look elsewhere

Last edited by Sheel : 16th May 2012 at 16:33.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 17:05   #21
Senior - BHPian

Looking good navpreet. Congratulations.The bike fits your requirements to the T. It definitely is a tall brute. Maybe even taller than the F650 i rode the other day. Must be quite a departure from the madness that the 12r was. Ride Hard , ride safe.
bigron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 17:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
....... I have forwarded your thread to Harley Davidson India to show them the customer they lost. Hopefully, they force the rogue dealer to pull up his socks.....
Thanks for that GTO.
Infact I received a call from the Harley dealership a few days later. Both from Delhi as well as Chandigarh to inquire when am I booking the Superglide. I calmly told them the treatment I got from the delhi dealer. Interestingly when I told them I had now bought something else, they asked me what? I told them that the R1200GS. Then the delhi dealership sales guy made the stupidest of all comments. Sir you were going to buy a bike for 12.5 lakhs(the SuperGlide) and you have bought one for XX amount. You should have told us your budget.
That was it. That was the limit of my control. That particular guy got a piece of my mind that no one had ever got. What the hell is with these people? Why can't a simple dressing guy get something in India? Why this apartheid based on color, cloths and appearance?

Sorry for the emotional rant but I did have a problem when this happened. Shows how much we have risen after the slavery of the british.
navpreet318 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 18:42   #23
BHPian

Congrats navpreet. Its a legend added to your life. Its a tank and will withstand everything from Dehradun -> Leh Laddakh via Afghanistan in its stride.

Can you do me favor, can you ask your dealer guy about the F650 enduro and the pricing details?
I am eyeing this thing since the time I saw it in US, going by the forums, the pricing seems to be attractive on this one. Not sure though. I have written to Navnit Motors (BMW dealership in Blr) and awaiting their reply on it.

Also, do they give financing? Is it better to go for it from outside or their own? Thanks.
AltoHoncho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 19:10   #24
Senior - BHPian

Thanks altohoncho. The F650gs offered here is not an enduro bike. Its the street version of the F800GSM enduro. It has simple suspension and alloy wheels plus a lower engine tune on the 800cc parallel. It is for 10L ex showroom Mumbai as was reported on tbhp. Seems a decent buy at that price but the specs are a bit too low.
Coming to the financing it is best done via a bank on your own. One point about contacting these guys. Call them.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 20:11   #25
Senior - BHPian

navpreet318, congrats on the GS. That's one huge tourer. For a moment, I thought your RE was a RX in that first pic.

I am afraid, I don't know much about bikes. But what I do know is that this thread is very well written and I enjoyed reading every bit of it.

Give us some more pictures. Of the instrument cluster and the drive shaft definitely. And have mighty fun riding!
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2012, 00:36   #26
BANNED

@navpreet318,

Hearty Congratulations.

Was looking forward to your thread since that hint a while ago.

Glad you had a wonderful buying experience, and from your account, more than wonderful, extraordinary!!

Three cheers for BMW Motorrad and for Mr. Sarabjeet Singh. People like him reassures our faith in the existence of good people. Truly a great gesture for him to ride with you on your maiden voyage. I cant say I have read of such a nice thing in any buying experience thread yet.

The icing on the cake must be how well the bike suits you.

Have a blast and wishing you many memorable safe rides.

Cheers

Ride Safe.
gthang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2012, 06:48   #27
BHPian

Nice. I had a ZX-12R as well (I maxed mine out, 194mph /321km/h true as indicated by GPS, on the susequehanna Bridge on Route 30 in Pennsylvania). The bike's true awesomeness appears at 260km/h+. At speeds like that, it feels like a 747. Tucked in behind the windscreen, you find yourself in a bubble of perfect calm, the bike is stable as a rock (amazingly, it gets more stable the faster you go because of the gyroscopic effect of the wheels enhances stability at higher and higher speeds, while the aerodynamics and suspension are perfectly in charge of vertical stability). The experience is of the tach looming large in front of my face, just beneath my view through the windscreen, the tach needle zinging between 9000rpm and redline as I shift, shift shift shift, with each gear seeming to take exactly the same amount of time to run to redline ( 2 seconds or so at most). Not the slightest wobble, vibration. It felt exactly like a 747 just before it leaves the ground, except I was in control and the noise was phenomenally louder and the speed was much more intense (a 747 takes off at 270km/h.)

It was an absolutely brilliant experience. I never did top speed again, but frequently hit 175 (280). My ZX-12 had dynoed at 169rwhp. but my modifications were mostly for long distance use. a Corbin saddle (best money I ever spend), an ugly Zero Gravity Touring windscreen, Heli bars, cruise control, saddle bags, etc.

And the bike I wanted after that one, was always the R1200GS. Even after I came back to India. It is great to see someone with the same tastes as me. Congratuations.
Harbir is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th May 2012, 08:57   #28
BHPian

(can a moderator please merge with my earlier post? This is hours later and my editing time has long since expired)

May I ask how much you paid for the R1200GS? Do they have the Adventure model available in India? I am most attracted to its 33litre fuel tank and its big box paniers. I admit that I am also quite interested in the triumph Tiger 800XC for the simple reason that in the mountains, a lighter, smaller, more agile bike would be more fun on the tarmac, and much easier to handle when crossing streams, mud, sand, etc. and 11 lacs is a good price for a bike of that capability.

Last edited by Harbir : 17th May 2012 at 09:00.
Old 17th May 2012, 09:19   #29
Senior - BHPian

Harbir: That is an absolutely amazing narration of the ZX-12R. No doubt it is an amazing machine.
Helibars and Corbin seat were in the pipeline had I not sold the bike. But I soon realized that the combination of my limited abilities along with the traffic and traffic sense of the general public, this is too dangerous a bike to be ridden in the streets.
Old 17th May 2012, 10:23   #30
BHPian

Heartiest congratulations Navpreet on the BMW Grand Tourer. This is definitely some thing that wet dreams are made of.

Your BMW dealership experience seems to have come straight out of Disneyland. Goes to show how the dealer has turned a prospect into a loyalist. Really admired the gesture of them riding all the way to Dehradun. Must be a sight!

Enjoy the bike and keep posting lots of pics. I'm sure modifications are on the cards for this one too. Would love to see your bike loaded with the saddle bags on either side. Cheers!
SankalpDesai is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks