Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2012, 11:28   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: From a legendary sportbike to a legendary globe tourer BMW R1200GS

I have been reading ADVrider - especially the ride reports in the past few days and been drooling over the ride reports there. Many of them use this bike for their extensive touring. And I see this thread on Team-BHP!

Amazing bike. Any new updates on the bike?
naveenroy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2012, 11:53   #77
BHPian

Ku69rd and Navpreet, whats the utility/ advantage of pulling up the bike in that manner? Ive read about it in one of the Harley forums too. Why not pull the bike up by its handlebars? Is it because of the weight of the litre class bikes or is it applicable even to smaller and lightweight 200cc bikes like the duke? Sorry if my question sounds silly, but this has been poking me ever since i read about it.
Old 24th November 2012, 13:45   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Ku69rd and Navpreet, whats the utility/ advantage of pulling up the bike in that manner? Ive read about it in one of the Harley forums too. Why not pull the bike up by its handlebars? Is it because of the weight of the litre class bikes or is it applicable even to smaller and lightweight 200cc bikes like the duke? Sorry if my question sounds silly, but this has been poking me ever since i read about it.
You are using bigger muscles anatomically without straining your back.

The Duke does not need this. Maybe the Bullet - though even that can be lifted with effort to the right fulcrum.

The Bullet weighs around 180 kilos wet. The GS with fluids should be around 260. Big difference.

Last edited by ebonho : 24th November 2012 at 13:53.
ebonho is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th November 2012, 16:28   #79
Senior - BHPian

When you lift it this way, you use your leg muscles. Your thigh muscles are the biggest and strongest in the body. Believe me you'll easily lift double your body weight when doing squats!
Moreover when lifting while facing the bike, on intends to put weight on the back. Now the back is a weak point in the body. Use it in the wrong way like bending, you'll put the entire strain in the backbone and the spine. Results can be devastating!

Oh yes, this approach goes for everything in your life. Never lift anything by bending your back. Keep your back straight and use you legs and arms to the max.

Naveenroy: I'm heading back home on 29th. So more rides and a lot more fun is going to happen soon. Pics of the rides will keep flowing whenever I have time to get off the bike.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 18:20   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sorry if my question sounds silly, but this has been poking me ever since i read about it.
Suppose Ebonho & Navpreet have already mentioned the plus points of why it has to be done. The other day I was watching a video when a puny girl actually lifts the Roadking (Harley Davidson) with least efforts and was even more convinced with that technique. Will try to post the link if i get it.

No need for Sorry mate, we are all learners and knowledge is for sharing
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 19:25   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
The other day I was watching a video when a puny girl actually lifts the Roadking (Harley Davidson) with least efforts and was even more convinced with that technique. Will try to post the link if i get it.

Oh yes Ive seen that video. I thought the girl was by no means puny picking up a harley like that :P. Perhaps you are talking about this video

Quote:
No need for Sorry mate, we are all learners and knowledge is for sharing
Thats the beauty of tbhp

Last edited by GTO : 8th December 2012 at 13:40. Reason: As per the recent mass PM, please remove the "s" from https before posting youtube videos
Parthasarathig is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 17:43   #82
Senior - BHPian

A short video of a recent ride. Please watch it in Full HD.

A few pics of the same ride. Thats a 223cc Impluse you guys see there. Complete engine transplant with working electronics and speedo and tachometer of the impulse itself. All plug and play! Rides awesome offroad. No need to turn the bike or lean it into turns, just wring open the throttle!
Attached Thumbnails
From a legendary sportbike to a legendary globe tourer BMW R1200GS-img_20130330_082658.jpg  

From a legendary sportbike to a legendary globe tourer BMW R1200GS-img_20130330_082705.jpg  

From a legendary sportbike to a legendary globe tourer BMW R1200GS-img_20130330_082727.jpg  

From a legendary sportbike to a legendary globe tourer BMW R1200GS-img_20130330_090027.jpg  

From a legendary sportbike to a legendary globe tourer BMW R1200GS-img_20130330_090047.jpg  

From a legendary sportbike to a legendary globe tourer BMW R1200GS-img_20130330_090041.jpg  

Last edited by navpreet318 : 2nd April 2013 at 17:55.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 19:03   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Thats a 223cc Impluse you guys see there. Complete engine transplant with working electronics and speedo and tachometer of the impulse itself. All plug and play! Rides awesome offroad. No need to turn the bike or lean it into turns, just wring open the throttle!
That is awesome. Wanted some more details. Have PM'ed you.
Old 2nd April 2013, 19:17   #84
BHPian

I still remember your thread on xbhp when you picked up the 12R..My word i was the most jealous guy then. Sad to hear about you letting it go but then A sad ending has led to a new beginning in your case. Love the GS. Fantastic machine with go anwhere capability. Ride hard..ride safe!
balenopower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2013, 21:49   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
I still remember your thread on xbhp when you picked up the 12R............. Ride hard..ride safe!

Those were the great old days weren't they!

We 'men' have a tendency to be small kids forever. Obsessed with one toy at one time and then it completely wears off. Thats what happened with the 12R. The hassles of uncomfortable riding, absence of safe parking and limited roads to ride on took its toll and overcame my affection for its beauty. I still find it the most beautiful bike ever! I don't even prefer the ducatis over it.

But now with the GS. I have achieved freedom. Freedom to ride anytime and anywhere. No issues with roads or parking or the "fairing obsessed" public. Haha.

By the way the GS will come to Pune in a few months. Hope to ride with you guys then!
navpreet318 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 12:53   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Those were the great old days weren't they!

We 'men' have a tendency to be small kids forever. Obsessed with one toy at one time and then it completely wears off. Thats what happened with the 12R. The hassles of uncomfortable riding, absence of safe parking and limited roads to ride on took its toll and overcame my affection for its beauty. I still find it the most beautiful bike ever! I don't even prefer the ducatis over it.

But now with the GS. I have achieved freedom. Freedom to ride anytime and anywhere. No issues with roads or parking or the "fairing obsessed" public. Haha.

By the way the GS will come to Pune in a few months. Hope to ride with you guys then!
You wont believe how similar my story is (in a milder and on a way smaller scale if i may add).

I sold my Karizma of 5 years in 2010 and got my self a nice black Ninja 250. Love the bike to death..heck i still do, but then again its limitations came to the fore. While it might still be easier to manage than a 12R, it still managed to garner the hassles you mentioned. So much so that i started choosing my riding destinations according to the bikes convenience rather than mine. 2012 was when i decided that i was missing out on a lot of rides just because of the Ninja's limitations and guess what i got. A GS..Not a 1200 like urs but a Suzuki GS 150 ..Might be 150 cc bike but the whole idea about not bothering about potholes, attention, scratches because of saddle bags etc etc made me a free bird just like you. So i totally get where your coming from.

Here's to no nonsense biking!

Oh and do drop a PM when you are heading to Pune!
balenopower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2013, 17:42   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh yes Ive seen that video. I thought the girl was by no means puny picking up a harley like that :P. Perhaps you are talking about this video

Thats the beauty of tbhp
Yes Buddie, this was the exact video that I wanted to share but somehow forgot about it and lot of water has flown through since I made the comment last. Thanks for sharing it
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2013, 04:25   #88
BHPian

i saw this video, and immediately thought of this thread.
manolin is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2013, 06:42   #89
Senior - BHPian

That is one upgraded bike! And an awesome video as well. We're trying in our own way to have fun. Have planned a few outings at a later stage in June. The bike is doing awesome other than a super slow puncture which I am yet to fix. I don't want to ruin the tire by making a huge hole into it. Scouting for solutions. Any suggestions guys?
Old 5th May 2013, 09:48   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don't want to ruin the tire by making a huge hole into it. Scouting for solutions. Any suggestions guys?
IMO, to fix a hole of 2mm, I find it ridiculous to make a hole of 5mm & fix that twig.

I have been using sealant in my tire & it has worked like charm.

But, I believe you would be doing off-road runs with it. Please do factor in side-wall cuts or a big (not the nail type) puncture.

For normal usage, I find the sealant perfect.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks