Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2013, 13:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Harley Davidson Super Glide Custom - Arrived in Jan 2013

Guys if any knowledgeable biker could answer my queries posted above it would be greatly appriciated. I have gone through HD forums but im still lost. Thank you in advance.
Old 15th June 2013, 20:55   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Congratulations on bringing home another Icon and i guess now you would be more inclined to hit the highways instead of just the normal routes.

The thread has been silent for a very long time now and was looking forward to reading your experience after she has settled in with you. I am considering getting the Super Glide Custom for myself as i found it more comfortable than the Fat Bob and the Fat Boy. I am not a regular or an very experienced rider and bikes are something i have limited knowledge off.

Sir i had a few questions from what i have seen on other Harleys..

1) Does the SGC also catch rust as fast as the other models?

2) Does the rear shock need to be stiffened by the dealership if you have a pillion with you?. I am not into aftermarket parts much, hence the question.

3) Is it advisable to get a custom paint job done on the bike. I was informed by the dealership that you can get it done from outside but it voids paint warrenty. The company themselves dont provide another colour option for the SGC..all bikes black with the 110th aniversary bike in a different color.

4) i would like to know if the pillion seat is comfortable, since it looks small and would you reccomend a sissy bar to be added ?

5) What Harley Davidson accesories would you recommend to be fitted on the bike..screaming eagles parts, bike protection parts.?

Thank you in advance for your or any other knowledgeable Persons reply.
1)I don't think they catch rust that quick as harleys are known to be made very well.

2)Harleys are known for not so good suspensions, many people opt for aftermarket ones if performance is your thing, there are many available online, i have heard that "Progressive series suspensions" are one of the best.

3)110th anniversary special is a good option in my opinion. And don't think about upgrading it or changing it cause they have some of the best paintjobs possible on a bike. Check out the Hard Candy only available on 48 and the streetbob.

4)There are many seat options, "The SUNDOWNER" seat is the most comfiest of all, its like a sofa for the rider and the pillion, that said the stock seat on Superglide is also not bad.Sissy bar is sometimes needed cause the massive torque scares the big jesus out of a new pillion.

5) Accessories and personalization , the best part of buying a harley, Tons of mods and Ideas you can get your bike the way you want right up to the minutest detail. Start with a Leg guard as you mentioned you are not a experienced rider, then you can always upgrade the Exhaust to a Screaming eagle or aftermarket ones like Vance and hines for that meaner, louder sound.Hey you can always visit harleys international website and look for inspiration gallery if modifying is your thing.

Google is your friend, search and you will find tons of information, i am desperately waiting for my Bike and have already painted a picture of what i am going to do with it once i get it. Get inspired and Ride Safe and Hard.
Cheers.
Old 17th June 2013, 13:07   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRock View Post
1)I don't think they catch rust that quick as harleys are known to be made very well.
I have seen a couple of bikes that had alot of rust around the shocks,chain cover and front forks, hence i was wondering.

Quote:
2)Harleys are known for not so good suspensions, many people opt for aftermarket ones if performance is your thing, there are many available online, i have heard that "Progressive series suspensions" are one of the best.
I am not into performance or high speed riding..i am more of a chilled out cruising sort of guy. I shall look up the Progressive series suspensions are these supplied by HD or aftermarket?

Quote:
3)110th anniversary special is a good option in my opinion. And don't think about upgrading it or changing it cause they have some of the best paintjobs possible on a bike. Check out the Hard Candy only available on 48 and the streetbob.
The issue was that only the 110th aniversary bike comes in its trademark dual shade, the normal SGC is only available in black in India with no color options at all. This is what the sales person told me. I do agree they have very nice colors for the bikes but unfortunately the SGC does not get any of it. I shall try asking the sales person if HD itself could paint the bike is another color at the factory.

Quote:
4)There are many seat options, "The SUNDOWNER" seat is the most comfiest of all, its like a sofa for the rider and the pillion, that said the stock seat on Superglide is also not bad.Sissy bar is sometimes needed cause the massive torque scares the big jesus out of a new pillion.
Will check this seat out as well. Then i guess i would need to get the sissy bar as this would be my ladies first Bike experience and i really would not like it to be her last and then mine too..

Quote:
5) Accessories and personalization , the best part of buying a harley, Tons of mods and Ideas you can get your bike the way you want right up to the minutest detail. Start with a Leg guard as you mentioned you are not a experienced rider, then you can always upgrade the Exhaust to a Screaming eagle or aftermarket ones like Vance and hines for that meaner, louder sound.Hey you can always visit harleys international website and look for inspiration gallery if modifying is your thing.
I did visit their international site and check out the accesories available for the bike but did not go into the inspiration gallery. I'll do so now. The dealership says a month to call the parts that one needs if they dont already have it in stock. Screaming eagles exhaust makes the bike sound really loud..i had a taste of it on a Fat Boy and i was going deaf. The Leg Gaurd sure is a good suggestion and i never thought of it atall. Thank you.

Quote:
Google is your friend, search and you will find tons of information, i am desperately waiting for my Bike and have already painted a picture of what i am going to do with it once i get it. Get inspired and Ride Safe and Hard.
Cheers.
I did spend alot of time on Google and other sites to get information, but unfortunately there was limited information for the SGC. I found tons for the Fatboy and was really reconsidering to switch to it.

haha i guess thats what we all do..paint a picture in our mind and then transform it to reality. I have done the same too..wish list is saddle bag, sissy bar, seat, Auxilary lights, foot pegs or foot boards for both rider and pillion, exhaust, airfilter and a paint job..now i shall add the leg gaurd too.

What Model have you opted for?. All the Best for the bike and Ride Safe.

Thank you for your valuable inputs. Cheers.
Old 17th June 2013, 13:30   #19
BHPian

Quote:

Thank you for your valuable inputs. Cheers.
I will try to get more info on the rust part and what can be done about it.
Progressive suspensions are aftermarket, you can also swap to a Roadking air suspension for a very comfortable ride, its comfy and very adjustable.

As for the paint you can ask HD, im sure they will get you a custom color for some extra dough.
I am going for the Street bob but now i had a proper look and ride of the 48 and im falling for that too, i like a slim chopped down bike rather than full chrome and all the glitters.I want something which is a bit fast and can handle easy.
Old 18th June 2013, 11:50   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will try to get more info on the rust part and what can be done about it.
Progressive suspensions are aftermarket, you can also swap to a Roadking air suspension for a very comfortable ride, its comfy and very adjustable.

As for the paint you can ask HD, im sure they will get you a custom color for some extra dough.
I am going for the Street bob but now i had a proper look and ride of the 48 and im falling for that too, i like a slim chopped down bike rather than full chrome and all the glitters.I want something which is a bit fast and can handle easy.
I checked with HDridersUSA and they have mentioned weekly chrome shine with a chrome cleaner that can be bought from HD itself or other companies as well. So basically how i treat my vintage car chrome the same has to apply for the bike chrome as well.

If i am not mistaken the roadking has its suspension hidden just like the fatboy, will look into this option too..i am concerned with the SGC haveing a low slung approach and with a pillion it scrapping on the bad roads and speed breakers.

I spoke to the sales person and he said they can paint the bike at an extra cost and this would not void warrenty on the paint. He also suggested for custom jobs like skulls and other sort of designs to get it done outside and also gave me a contact for the person they use to do custum airbrush paintings on the bikes

I think the street bob would be a better option over the 48. The reason as it is more powerful, bigger fuel tank capacity for longer rides and a more comfortable ride as well. The 48 when i rode my friends bike was more like a sports bike in the seating position and my back had started to pain.
Old 24th June 2013, 18:19   #21
BHPian

Very rarely comes a time when you have to acknowledge your mistake on a forum- more so when it comes to a bike-
I sold my Super Glide Custom inside of 4 months, and after doing about close to 7000Km on it.
The upgrade from a Sportster to a Dyna was nothing but buying a Sportster on steroids... and there was nothing that was different- just the same easy ride, just more pickup and more speed... possibly a 10kmph diff on the plus side in cruising... possibly because of the larger engine, bigger tires and bigger brakes.
This month- I have purchased a 2011 FatBoy Special after much hunting and research into what I wanted to settle down with. I am in the process of writing an article on this story in a bit.
In the meanwhile a few of you were talking about a couple of issues that I thought I could address- without reference to your comments- save the point.
1. Rust- Bikes from Bandra and Lokhandwala, Colaba and Worli have shown nuts and bolts rusted- there is nothing you can do to stop mother nature A regular cleaning, which means a weekly episode of 'I love my Harley' using their smartly packaged products or competing cleaning products like Meguiars etc... I am biased towards the H-D product as it keeps the sales and service staff in good humor, and you really dont save too much- a 600 buck chrome polish lasts you like 8-9 months... so please. Gently spraying WD40 on nuts and bolts helps keep the rust away. However, if you get the gist of my writing, then bikes in Chandigarh and Delhi really need not worry about this at all.
2. Suspension- everyone complains that the stock is BAD- Trust me, not one of them would have ever walked into the Service Center and asked them to adjust the shocks to make it harder or softer- not realising that you make it soft for one-up and then go for the weekend with a pillion, only to see the rear jump around all day and night. Yes, on my Sportster and Dyna I imported rear shocks as well as front springs, but if you ask me- can you ride it without, yes you can. Not everyone puts on 18-20000Km in 18 months, and if you are going to be happy with regular weekend runs averaging 150-200 (one way) then you could survive the stock set up. Alternately- you want the best- then there are three categories in progressives- which on the FatBoy could set you back from 500 to 750 a set of Shocks. So even when someone talks Progressives without giving the series from which the shocks come, its just silly talk.
3. Paint- anyone talking about ordering a special paint job WITH the bike is got to be kidding as that will set your delivery back in months, and it could extend over 6 months... so please treat that with a pinch of salt. Lots of people in India are now good with doing superior paint jobs, including one done recently in Mumbai using an Asian Paints ka dabba. Get the bike in stock colors then ride it around, see what you want done with it, and then get it done to your taste in front of you. In the worst case, if you have spent 12-15L on a bike, you could spend another 40K and import a tank separately.
4. Seats- variety exists in the stores and you could easily share you thoughts and wants with fellow riders on the weekend runs, and then decide what you want. Irfan/Perfect (if you can murder your entire day) can for example make your regular seat into a 'reduced reach' seat for 700 bucks rather than pending 17000 on it... and possibly if you show him Mustang couch, he could make one in a week for you...
5. Accessories- limitless and there are a few in my riding circle who have spent upto 60% of the value of the bike on customisation... a few examples- the LED headlight--- and then shouldnt that be adequate (it never is) then you get a set of Clearwater LED lights for the fenders. The stock H-D 'Roots-made in India' horn is never adequate, so an air horn driven by a compressor and backed up by a reservoir of compressed air... WHOA!- possibly about 20K. Then thats just the start.
6. 110th Anniv bikes are not sold in India.i am sorry, are you guys talking about showrooms in India or overseas?
7. Visit the showroom, find people who ride them-- see what you an afford and then buy a bike that suits you. Choose wisely- the frame of the bike should suit you- Many times I see 5'10" people buying a Super Low or an Iron883. its just a disaster.

Like in my case, but for different reasons.

I am not 5'much, about 5'5" and the bikes in a very short span grow on you and then you want to upgrade. More are making the same mistake... so if you are tempted to buy a Sportster- buy a used one in warranty (two years) and that way you really cant lose too much money if you feel that you are ready for the bigger toys.

-KD.

Last edited by Hammer & Anvil : 24th June 2013 at 18:25. Reason: Ugh- spellings.
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th June 2013, 09:54   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer & Anvil View Post
Very rarely comes a time when you have to acknowledge your mistake on a forum- more so when it comes to a bike-
I sold my Super Glide Custom inside of 4 months, and after doing about close to 7000Km on it.
..This month- I have purchased a 2011 FatBoy Special after much hunting and research into what I wanted to settle down with.
-KD.
@KD - congratulations on the FatBoy special. Harley 48 and FatBoy are dream bikes for me. Awaiting a separate thread on the FatBoy!
Old 25th June 2013, 12:52   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The upgrade from a Sportster to a Dyna was nothing but buying a Sportster on steroids... and there was nothing that was different- just the same easy ride, just more pickup and more speed... possibly a 10kmph diff on the plus side in cruising... possibly because of the larger engine, bigger tires and bigger brakes.
Would you recomend it as ones first step into the world of cruisers ?. I definately did not want a HD from the sportster family as i found them to small and since i did not want to upgrade the Super Glide Custom with its 1500 cc or the Fatboy with the 1600 cc engine are good enough for me.

Quote:
This month- I have purchased a 2011 FatBoy Special after much hunting and research into what I wanted to settle down with. I am in the process of writing an article on this story in a bit.
Wow..Congratulations Sir for upgrading to another Icon. As per reports and test rides by varous Bike and car magazines the normal Fatboy is better to ride than the Special. I have riden my friends Fatboy Special but not the normal Fatboy so really cannot comment first hand on the difference between them. Eagerly awaiting your article on the Fatboy Special.

Quote:
1. Rust- Bikes from Bandra and Lokhandwala, Colaba and Worli have shown nuts and bolts rusted- there is nothing you can do to stop mother nature A regular cleaning, which means a weekly episode of 'I love my Harley' using their smartly packaged products or competing cleaning products like Meguiars etc... I am biased towards the H-D product as it keeps the sales and service staff in good humor, and you really dont save too much- a 600 buck chrome polish lasts you like 8-9 months... so please. Gently spraying WD40 on nuts and bolts helps keep the rust away. However, if you get the gist of my writing, then bikes in Chandigarh and Delhi really need not worry about this at all.
The bike will stand in Andheri at my garage or then at a friends place in Bandra, so basically i need to treat the bike like my Vintage cars in order to keep her chrome intact. Which means weakly chrome polishing and regular use of WD40 on the bolts. I can definately live with doing so.

Quote:
2. Suspension- everyone complains that the stock is BAD- Trust me, not one of them would have ever walked into the Service Center and asked them to adjust the shocks to make it harder or softer- not realising that you make it soft for one-up and then go for the weekend with a pillion, only to see the rear jump around all day and night. Yes, on my Sportster and Dyna I imported rear shocks as well as front springs, but if you ask me- can you ride it without, yes you can. Not everyone puts on 18-20000Km in 18 months, and if you are going to be happy with regular weekend runs averaging 150-200 (one way) then you could survive the stock set up. Alternately- you want the best- then there are three categories in progressives- which on the FatBoy could set you back from 500 to 750 a set of Shocks. So even when someone talks Progressives without giving the series from which the shocks come, its just silly talk.
I am very happy if i do about 500 kms a month on the bike, which would include an occasional Lonavala ride too. I am not much of a highway rider or someone doing interstate on the bike. So i guess the stock set up would do for me and my city rides.

Quote:
3. Paint- anyone talking about ordering a special paint job WITH the bike is got to be kidding as that will set your delivery back in months, and it could extend over 6 months... so please treat that with a pinch of salt. Lots of people in India are now good with doing superior paint jobs, including one done recently in Mumbai using an Asian Paints ka dabba. Get the bike in stock colors then ride it around, see what you want done with it, and then get it done to your taste in front of you. In the worst case, if you have spent 12-15L on a bike, you could spend another 40K and import a tank separately.
I was thinking more on the lines of getting the bike home and then having a custom paint job done outside in front of me, basically the tank side and the fenders. If you have seen the Fatboy with custom airbrush painting at the showroom, the same person would do my bike. I dont want a whole new color sprayed on the bike..that i can do it myself too at my workshop.

Quote:
4. Seats- variety exists in the stores and you could easily share you thoughts and wants with fellow riders on the weekend runs, and then decide what you want. Irfan/Perfect (if you can murder your entire day) can for example make your regular seat into a 'reduced reach' seat for 700 bucks rather than pending 17000 on it... and possibly if you show him Mustang couch, he could make one in a week for you...
I am basically concerned about the pillion seat and not the rider seat. I was comfortable with riding but found the pillion seat not looking comfortable for rides.

Quote:
5. Accessories- limitless and there are a few in my riding circle who have spent upto 60% of the value of the bike on customisation... a few examples- the LED headlight--- and then shouldnt that be adequate (it never is) then you get a set of Clearwater LED lights for the fenders. The stock H-D 'Roots-made in India' horn is never adequate, so an air horn driven by a compressor and backed up by a reservoir of compressed air... WHOA!- possibly about 20K. Then thats just the start.
yes sir, that i saw with the Accessories brouchure sent to me. I can play around till my Wallet can provide for it.

Quote:
6. 110th Anniv bikes are not sold in India.i am sorry, are you guys talking about showrooms in India or overseas?
In India and primarily the Bombay dealership..One 110th Anniversary Super Glide Custom has been sold to a lady from Hyderabad. The sales person had told me a few bikes are to come in this month and i should wait to see it and then decide on which one i wanted.

Quote:
7. Visit the showroom, find people who ride them-- see what you an afford and then buy a bike that suits you. Choose wisely- the frame of the bike should suit you- Many times I see 5'10" people buying a Super Low or an Iron883. its just a disaster.

Like in my case, but for different reasons.

I am not 5'much, about 5'5" and the bikes in a very short span grow on you and then you want to upgrade. More are making the same mistake... so if you are tempted to buy a Sportster- buy a used one in warranty (two years) and that way you really cant lose too much money if you feel that you are ready for the bigger toys.

-KD.
Its not the question of affording the bike here, its about understanding the bike from experienced people like yourself. I have limited knowledge on bikes and since my riding is not much, i really cant figure things out. I had shortlisted the Super Glide Custom, Fat Bob and the Fat Boy for myself and eliminated the Fat Bob from the list. The Heritage Softail and the Road king i did not consider as spending 18 Lakhs upward on a bike that i would not do justice with made no sense to me and besides i can customize the bike chossen to look like them. No Second Hand Bikes for me sir..at home besides the Vintage and Classic cars nothing Second hand on the vehicles front is allowed. I am not much into upgrading bikes, rather get the biggest one and live with it.

I am 5"11 and was clear from day one i do not want a bike from the sporster family. I have riden my friends Iron and 48 and felt something missing there over and above the small size. The Super Glide Custom i was very comfortable on with the mid mounted foot controls and the easy riding stance of the bike. The Fat Boy Special that i was made to sit on had the forward foot controls and that made things a bit uncomfortable for me, besides that i was ok with the comfort level on the bike too. I asked the sales person and he said due to the foot rests the controls cannot be taken back and i would have to manage with it. This was the only reason i was a little withdrawn from the Fatboy. The Fatboy as you would be knowing has been every childs poster bike especially after watching Terminator .

Thank you for taking the time out to reply and answring some novice questions.

Last edited by speedy : 25th June 2013 at 12:56.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2013, 14:22   #24
Senior - BHPian

Sir have you taken delivery of the FatBoy?. Eagerly awaiting your report for the same. I have decided to go for the FatBoy as well since the price difference between the Super Glide Custom and Fatboy is not much and with my registering the bike at the factory (outside Maharashtra) makes it even cheaper . I am only a little uncomfortable with the gear system which is toe and heel but i guess a few rides would help getting used to it.
Old 10th July 2013, 15:21   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This month- I have purchased a 2011 FatBoy Special
Hi ,
I am also in same situation , a bit different though . I picked my Sportster low - Import one @ 7 lac plus couple of lacs on accessorising and when they launched CKD's was tempted to pick something from Dyna family but realised that these are Grown up Sportster only and somehow have kept etch under check

Now I am been offered Heritage Soft Tail Classic in white color which Chandigarh Dealership will get by end of this month , will love any suggestions on white color because to me the one they have on website looks better but they wont have this combination for next few months.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_IN...l-classic.html
Old 11th July 2013, 11:56   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Now I am been offered Heritage Soft Tail Classic in white color which Chandigarh Dealership will get by end of this month , will love any suggestions on white color because to me the one they have on website looks better but they wont have this combination for next few months.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_IN...l-classic.html
The picture in the link looks gorgeous. I would suggest getting the white and then having it painted either by the dealership or then from outside..I personally prefer the outside option. The only thing that goes is the paint warrenty.
The white will look good with the HSTC as the saddle bags, studded seats and the wire spoke wheels add a contrast and color to it. I have seen a white HSTC and a Fatboy in London and they looked good to me.
Old 11th July 2013, 12:12   #27
BHPian

Thats a lean and mean beast.
Congratulations Hammer & Anvil and wishing you many happy miles with her.
Ohh!Oxygen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 13:03   #28
BHPian

Quote:
1) Does the SGC also catch rust as fast as the other models?

2) Does the rear shock need to be stiffened by the dealership if you have a pillion with you?. I am not into aftermarket parts much, hence the question.

3) Is it advisable to get a custom paint job done on the bike. I was informed by the dealership that you can get it done from outside but it voids paint warrenty. The company themselves dont provide another colour option for the SGC..all bikes black with the 110th aniversary bike in a different color.

4) i would like to know if the pillion seat is comfortable, since it looks small and would you reccomend a sissy bar to be added ?

5) What Harley Davidson accesories would you recommend to be fitted on the bike..screaming eagles parts, bike protection parts.?

Thank you in advance for your or any other knowledgeable Persons reply.
My apologies for looking into this thread after a long time.
A. No Harleys 'rust' easily- however, a few bikes that have owners living off the sea coast, like Carter Road in Bandra- and have not been able to tend to their motorcycles will see rust just like an Enfield. Nothing too much or too little. I was actually horrified to see a SGC at the workshop with oxidation on front strut bottoms, and rust having eaten into the chrome rims, crash guards- and on hunting down the address, I found that it was a sea coast touching bike. BUT at the same time, there is a 'first to ride' edition Softail that lives in the same area that has nary a touch of rust. SO I guess that you have to protect your bike and investment better than you would with a cheaper bike, for which spares would be available in the country at beck and call.

2. Rear Shocks- have 5-step adjusts like usual desi shocks- you need to keep softening them till one point when the bike becomes 'slush' to ride, and then stiffen it one notch. However, if you and your pillion are hefty then when you are just one-up, this wont work, as it will be too hard for you alone. So- you decide your riding pattern and then adjust it. It make take 5- 6 rides to get the mean setting. Dont give up. Having said this, the after-market lure of better suspensions like the ones from Progressive are always there- and then for the super rich the Ohlins... there is no end to this progression. So you have to decide where to take a call and stop upgrading your suspension. I know >50% of Dyna owners will be running stock without adjusting the shocks even once- so there goes.

3. Firstly- I think the 110 Anniv circus has left town- so pointless talking about those Anniv Edition colours. Re-painting a bike is a costly and time consuming affair, and for that you will need a theme and an artist- and you should understand that you are talking upwards of 40-70K for painting a tank - let alone the rest of the bike- not to mention the labour to remove and refit the bike- Factory paint jobs are over a protective coat of chemicals or treatment for corrosion prevention. I have no comment on what would happen to this when you get a local artist or company to paint your bike. Tool Head Customs, Manan Patel are regular painters who do a wonderful job on helmets to bikes- you should look at them and investigate time/money for the same before getting into this.

4. Rear seats from Harley come in stock as well as aftermarket sizes that would put your home sofa to shame- Sundowners etc--- so comfortable seats are available. Not to worry. Sissy bars, in my mind- are a must. One slip of a clutch, one nasty bump and you dont want to jeopardise the life or limb of your pillion. Please get it if you have a pillion going to ride with you. The other important thing is a crashguard. Its a MUST.

5. Harley I think survives on accessories, and I am a victim of that system. Essential accessories are the crash guard and the sissy bar. LED headlights have their own fans- who swear that stock is better. Screamin Eagle is a brand of parts made by Harley that encompasses headlights, spark plugs, cables and you name it. Unless you own a Harley or meet me in person, its not easy to discuss or detail what you could and cannot do to your bike. Bling from Kuryakyn, Arlen Ness, Exhausts from Cobra, Mustang, Samson, Vance & HInes, Akrapovic- ECU modifiers from Screamin Eagle, V&H, Thunder Max, Power COmmanders... the list is endless and bottomless.

Welcome to the world of Harley-Davdison- to quote:
"You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave..."
'Hotel California' - Eagles (1977)
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2013, 13:11   #29
BHPian

After a 5 month honeymoon with the SGC- I have finally moved onto selling it and buying a Fatboy. I put on a blazing 6500km on the bike in the 5 months (including the NHOG in Goa), of weekend riding - and as I wrote in an earlier thread- I need to write about selling Harleys and buying used ones. Many of you thanked me for the write ups- am grateful.
Here is a precursor of the FatBoy.

My Harley Davidson Super Glide Custom - Arrived in Jan 2013-babb1.jpg

My Harley Davidson Super Glide Custom - Arrived in Jan 2013-babb2-.jpg

My Harley Davidson Super Glide Custom - Arrived in Jan 2013-babb3.jpg
Hammer & Anvil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2013, 12:18   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My apologies for looking into this thread after a long time.
Not an issue sir, but previously you have answered my quiries.

Quote:
3. Firstly- I think the 110 Anniv circus has left town- so pointless talking about those Anniv Edition colours. Re-painting a bike is a costly and time consuming affair, and for that you will need a theme and an artist- and you should understand that you are talking upwards of 40-70K for painting a tank - let alone the rest of the bike- not to mention the labour to remove and refit the bike- Factory paint jobs are over a protective coat of chemicals or treatment for corrosion prevention. I have no comment on what would happen to this when you get a local artist or company to paint your bike. Tool Head Customs, Manan Patel are regular painters who do a wonderful job on helmets to bikes- you should look at them and investigate time/money for the same before getting into this.
Yes the Aniv editions are sold out and no longer available. I do have a theme as well as a full color in mind, the idea of this was to make the bike look visually different as the only company color available here is black. I am aware of the chemical process involved in company paint and would use a similar process for the bike paint too.

Quote:
4. Rear seats from Harley come in stock as well as aftermarket sizes that would put your home sofa to shame- Sundowners etc--- so comfortable seats are available. Not to worry. Sissy bars, in my mind- are a must. One slip of a clutch, one nasty bump and you dont want to jeopardise the life or limb of your pillion. Please get it if you have a pillion going to ride with you. The other important thing is a crashguard. Its a MUST.
I was thinking of the seat for the Heritage softail classic or the sundowner. I basically want the pillion seat to be comfortable as i wont be riding alone. The Sissy bar is top priority on my list and then the crash gaurd. I was thinking of getting the screaming eagles exhaust and filters done at a later stage.

Quote:
After a 5 month honeymoon with the SGC- I have finally moved onto selling it and buying a Fatboy. I put on a blazing 6500km on the bike in the 5 months (including the NHOG in Goa), of weekend riding - and as I wrote in an earlier thread- I need to write about selling Harleys and buying used ones. Many of you thanked me for the write ups- am grateful.
Here is a precursor of the FatBoy.
Wow the Fatboy special..Congratulations Sir . My friend has it and for some reason the clutch seems harder in the city than the normal fatboy or the heritage softail classic. I have changed my decision to go for the Super glide custom and would be going in for a Fatboy. There is a 4 to 6 months wait for the bike as of now.

Last edited by speedy : 20th August 2013 at 12:19.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks