Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2013, 21:32   #1
BHPian

Gujarat Dealer drags Ducati to Court

A case has been registered by Ducati dealer in Ahmedabad, Cama Motors against Ducati India and Precision Motors.
The court has found the charges to be substantial and issued summons to Ducati people.

Quote:
A criminal process has been initiated against these parties on the charges of cheating and dishonestly inducing Cama Motors to execute a letter of intent. The dealer complained in March last year before the court that the bike company and its dealers made them believe that marketing the bikes and its spare parts would help business. Thus, it agreed to become a local dealer of the bikes and spare-parts.

The complainant stated that it made a huge investment and issued a stand-by letter of credit worth Rs 1.10 crore in November 2010. It also accepted bookings from customers. Despite the investment involved, Ducati and its dealers could not supply bikes and spare parts, the complainant alleged.

The complainant further alleged that the bikes supplied were not as per orders, and without proper spare parts. It continued to buy the bikes on advance payments. According to the complainant, the accused avoided getting into any dealership agreement after completing the formalities. It also refused to inaugurate the showroom. Feeling cheated, Cama Motors approached the court, which asked the Shahpur police to inquire into the issue. The accused, meanwhile, moved the Gujarat high court, which refused to intervene in the issue.

Following the police report, the court concluded that Ducati and its dealers cheated the local firm and issued summons.

Link - http://articles.timesofindia.indiati...es-spare-parts

The few and far between ducati owners on this forum and elsewhere have complained about these exact issues many times. A number of owners are continuing to face spare parts, repair and service issues, which have remained unresolved for more than a year in several cases.

My heart does not allow me to believe that Ducati, as a company, cheated Cama Motors and end customers intentionally. My heart wants me to put the whole blame on poor acumen of ducati international sales & logistics management, low perceived potential of Indian market and of course, above all - "Precision Motors".
(I cannot recollect if I have ever heard a praise word about precision motors).

What does the Bhpian think?

Will this clean up the filth from the scene and create way for new and enthusiastic dealerships - those which will generate the sales numbers by focus and sincerity, thereby making ducati believe that this market is worthy of long term investment.

Or will it be another indian case which will draw for decades and will be resolved when nobody will care for it.
And, the wannabe ducatisti will check out the cbr....
sen2009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 23:23   #2
BANNED

re: Gujarat Dealer drags Ducati to Court

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post

Will this clean up the filth from the scene and create way for new and enthusiastic dealerships - those which will generate the sales numbers by focus and sincerity, thereby making ducati believe that this market is worthy of long term investment.

Or will it be another indian case which will draw for decades and will be resolved when nobody will care for it.
I don't think anything substantial will happen in the court. The case would go for a few years and be forgotten. Who is at fault is not clear here till proper news is brought out.

Cama Motors or Ducati's logistics division has t be checked. I don't think Ducati will afford sucha blame in the market that they have not established yet. More investigation is needed.

Anurag.
Old 13th September 2013, 10:56   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Gujarat Dealer drags Ducati to Court

Quote:
My heart does not allow me to believe that Ducati, as a company, cheated Cama Motors and end customers intentionally. My heart wants me to put the whole blame on poor acumen of ducati international sales & logistics management, low perceived potential of Indian market and of course, above all - "Precision Motors".
(I cannot recollect if I have ever heard a praise word about precision motors).
Another case good going..

This is not Ducati's fault but the Indian representative of Ducati Ashish Chordia who is completely at fault. This is is modus operandi and he has done it with Audi and Porsche as well..and continues to do so with Ferrari and Maseratti. Ducati was anyways considering to remove him and Ferrari and Maseratti have already started making their move. I really hope Ducati takes serious action against him and terminate him as a representative.

Ducati logistics and international sales will only send whats been ordered and not anything on their own free will. If you have ordered x you get x and not y...thats how it works. The way this person functions is he shows you x on the invoice and then orders y. The money spent on the options by a client is pocketed and he says either you take the bike or car or then wait for another few months to get a new one. If you ask for a refund he says the bike/car was ordered for you, so when it gets sold you will get some money..not the full amount one paid. He has eaten so many peoples money and managed to get away with it.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 11:11   #4
BHPian

Re: Gujarat Dealer drags Ducati to Court

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Another case good going..

This is not Ducati's fault but the Indian representative of Ducati Ashish Chordia who is completely at fault. This is is modus operandi and he has done it with Audi and Porsche as well..and continues to do so with Ferrari and Maseratti. Ducati was anyways considering to remove him and Ferrari and Maseratti have already started making their move. I really hope Ducati takes serious action against him and terminate him as a representative.

Ducati logistics and international sales will only send whats been ordered and not anything on their own free will. If you have ordered x you get x and not y...thats how it works. The way this person functions is he shows you x on the invoice and then orders y. The money spent on the options by a client is pocketed and he says either you take the bike or car or then wait for another few months to get a new one. If you ask for a refund he says the bike/car was ordered for you, so when it gets sold you will get some money..not the full amount one paid. He has eaten so many peoples money and managed to get away with it.
I totally don't get this.
Ducati, Porsche, Ferrari, Masserati... these are world famous brands, some of which are more than 100 years old. They sell their wares all over the globe in many markets which are lot less organized than ours.
Why do they go to Precision motors in the first place?
Ashish Chordia can be whatever, but who selects him?!!

And what also amazes me is why no proper entrepreneur takes interest in these bikes and cars?
Of course the sales will not be anything much in the beginning, but a proper sales and service infrastructure will definitely boost customer confidence. Numbers will start to trickle in within 2-3 years.

Lets keep our fingers crossed and hope that someone will step up and clean the scene.
Old 14th September 2013, 11:34   #5
BHPian

Quote:

My 2 bits.... Shoddy treatment of customers by these "dealers of exclusivity" is not about whether parts are available, it's about power. It's about "we have something you want and you need to pay not just money but also in self-respect before we sell you these goods". Unfortunately, we still go ahead with the sale because we biking enthusiasts think with our heart and not our head. Boycotting these products and a very public boycott will make the parent company re-think their priorities.
Old 14th September 2013, 11:48   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And what also amazes me is why no proper entrepreneur takes interest in these bikes and cars?
Of course the sales will not be anything much in the beginning, but a proper sales and service infrastructure will definitely boost customer confidence. Numbers will start to trickle in within 2-3 years.

Lets keep our fingers crossed and hope that someone will step up and clean the scene.
Our best bet would be the manufacturers themselves coming down to the country and doing business directly rather than appointing dealers to run the show.
suhaas307 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 14:07   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Our best bet would be the manufacturers themselves coming down to the country and doing business directly rather than appointing dealers to run the show.
Exactly what I would like to see.

The way Ninja and KTM are creating their niche using Bajaj network - Ducati and others can always follow that route.
Look at the number of Ninja's on the road. I cannot fathom a good reason for which Ninja will sell and Ducati 795 won't - except for precision motors!

Maybe some more austere years in mainland Europe will make them realize that its nothing but a cardinal sin to ignore such a huge market with virtually unlimited potential.
But when they will realize this, Japanese and some other manufacturers will be so far ahead, that these manufacturers will be eating dirt in comparison anyways - like they are doing now.

I am keeping my fingers crossed on the Triumph dealerships. Lets see how they fare. If they do well, maybe that would send a message across.
Old 14th September 2013, 16:22   #8
BHPian

Just worried about the end users who are going to pay a huge some of money to get all this !

I believe Ducati would do something to clear up the scene and save their name.
Old 14th September 2013, 16:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This very question; comes to my mind also many times! I mean, is there only this man in the whole of India to start a new business with? Who is this person btw? I have read a lot of complaints about him online. Sorry if I have missed out somewhere, but who is this guy? Let's hope this fiasco gets sorted out.
Old 16th September 2013, 14:14   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ducati, Porsche, Ferrari, Masserati... these are world famous brands, some of which are more than 100 years old. They sell their wares all over the globe in many markets which are lot less organized than ours.
Why do they go to Precision motors in the first place?
Ashish owns Shreyans Motors (hope i got the name right) and is appointed by Ducati as their indian Importer and Dealer. So all orders for India go through him. None of the brands deal with Precision Motors or go to them..it all goes through Shreyans Motors/ Ashish Chordia. The Manufacturers selected him as their India Dealer and Importer.

Quote:

The cost of being a dealer or importer is high and targets have to be met. Its not as simple as it seems and not many people want to step in these shoes. The Modus was simple in the begining things were going well and deliveries schedules met..then the drama begins after he has built confidence with the Manufacturer.

Ducati themselves would have to step in and clean up the mess, same as what Audi and Porsche did and to some extent Ferrari is doing.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2013, 15:02   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy View Post
Ashish owns Shreyans Motors (hope i got the name right) and is appointed by Ducati as their indian Importer and Dealer. So all orders for India go through him. None of the brands deal with Precision Motors or go to them..it all goes through Shreyans Motors/ Ashish Chordia. The Manufacturers selected him as their India Dealer and Importer.
OK, I had that info wrong. Shreyansh Motors it is. What is Precision motors then? Is it also not in the same game?
I mean, I have heard of Precision motors several times in similar context.

Quote:
The cost of being a dealer or importer is high and targets have to be met. Its not as simple as it seems and not many people want to step in these shoes. The Modus was simple in the begining things were going well and deliveries schedules met..then the drama begins after he has built confidence with the Manufacturer.

Ducati themselves would have to step in and clean up the mess, same as what Audi and Porsche did and to some extent Ferrari is doing.
That's what I also say. If Audi can clean up its mess, why not ducati?
If other bikes in the same price category are selling well (in relative terms), Ducati will too. In fact, from what I can gather from the bike crazy dudes, the fanfare for ducati is same if not more than the Japanese bikes.
Given the state of affairs for last 2-3 years, I don't think Shreyansh is meeting any kinds of targets. Hell, it can't even deliver on the booking which kept knocking on their doors - forget about sales promotion.
Maybe some other intrepid sould will take a cue from the present situation and will start the business with a fresh outlook and long term commitment.

Whichever way it goes, these importer-dealers need to be eradicated from the face of earth very soon.
Old 19th September 2013, 11:17   #12
BHPian

Precision Motors is the official importer of Ducati in India (as per their website: www.ducati.co.in), which is owned by Ashish Chordia. Chordia also owned Shreyans, which was the dealer for Audi (and ran into a massive mess). Shreyans Group is the importer for Ferrari and Maserati in India, also run by Mr Chordia.

So,
Precision Motors ---> Ducati
Precision Cars ---> Porsche (lawsuit in progress)
Shreyans Group ---> Ferrari, Maserati (and other dealerships in Pune i think)
Shreyans Motors ---> Erstwhile Audi dealer.

The above is as best as I've figured out the group. Apologies if I got it wrong.
Old 19th September 2013, 11:49   #13
BHPian

Disgusting to see such incident taking place from a reputed brand,How difficult is it for a company like Ducati which is now owned by Audi to directly enter our market their by enforcing confidence in it's brand and it's future supplies to it's dealers and the end customer's.

Hope the problem gets resolved soon.
Old 19th September 2013, 17:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

Wow thats sad, poor dealers with stock will have more issues now after this news is out.
Old 19th September 2013, 22:13   #15

Thats the only reason I was forced to ditch my plans for Monster, hate to see this happening with Ducati. Sad very sad.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks