Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2014, 11:57   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Coming to India - KTM 690!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insearch View Post
"KTM will not launch the Duke 690 in India and the company will discontinue the model in the future, replacing it with a twin-cylinder bike. The said information was revealed by KTM CEO Stefan Pierer at the RC 200 and RC 390 launch event earlier today. The replacement of the Duke 690 (likely to be called the Duke 790) will be developed by Bajaj Auto, all of the above information was revealed by us a few months back in a detailed post (you can read it HERE. KTM had confirmed earlier this year that they are working on two twin-cylinder engines of capacity 500cc and 800cc. The latter motor will find its way into the Duke 690 replacement."
They are talking about a 500 cc twin as well as a 800 cc one. And parallel twins. Not V twins like the super Dukes. Wonder how that's going to work.

I agree, this is news that's double edged. We'll get better faster bigger Dukes. But we won't get them next year.

You are right Anurag. This does help with my current decision. Thanks for the heads-up bro.

Quote:
Would it make the bike heavier? Because that would take away the great character the 690 has around corners. On the positive side, we can expect it to be faster in straight line and maybe a better sounding exhaust...
Maybe not so much heavier, as wider. The big positives of the small to mid weight Dukes is not only their lightness, but their narrowness and flickability. Am pretty sure that is a part of their DNA they will work hard to retain. There are enough high powered wide heavy ponderous bikes out there from other manufacturers. KTM does not do that. Which is why the paralel bit surprises me. Because the V twins still retain a lot of the dynamics of a single.

Last edited by ebonho : 27th October 2014 at 12:01.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 11:56   #77
BHPian

2016 Duke 690 prototype has been revealed!

Retains the single cylinder, displacement bumped up by 3cc, power increased to 73hp at 8500 rpm, peak torque increased by 6%!

Courtesy: http://www.motoroids.com/news/2016-k...linder-engine/

Really hope this makes it to India soon
asivan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2015, 14:43   #78
BHPian

I got so excited thinking it is a new article and read all the comments 3 4th of the page down then see the date OCT'14, was saddened for a moment. Nice to see it revived yesterday and hopefully the bike comes down in the really near future, fingers crossed for the RC version.

Mod Note : Please do NOT cut-copy-paste text from other word processors (MS Word etc.). That results in a formatting error on our Forum.

Click here to know how to remove FONT Tags from your post.

Going forward, do keep in mind that it's best to type directly into Team-BHP.

Thanks

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th September 2015 at 14:59.
Old 11th September 2015, 15:14   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asivan View Post
So the bottom line is that KTM is not killing the 690 as we Indians were led to believe when news (mollifying?) of the in-development 500 and 800cc twins was announced.

Now its obvious that they are keeping the 690, its still going to be a middle weight flagship, and they are planing to continue building it in Austria.

Why, I'll leave it to the imagination of each of us.

But long and short of it is - no luck for us.
Old 11th September 2015, 16:16   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
So the bottom line is that KTM is not killing the 690 as we Indians were led to believe when news (mollifying?) of the in-development 500 and 800cc twins was announced.

Now its obvious that they are keeping the 690, its still going to be a middle weight flagship, and they are planing to continue building it in Austria.

Why, I'll leave it to the imagination of each of us.

But long and short of it is - no luck for us.
You're probably right doc.

It does seem a bit confusing to me, as to why they would have bikes with engine displacements so close to each other. Looks like some big plans are in motion at Mattighofen.

Looking at the current high capacity biking scenario, I can't see why KTM are waiting to launch the others though. Looking at the success Benelli has had, the market is definitely there, even if the bikes do come by CKD.

Let's hope someone is reading this and thinking along these lines
Old 11th September 2015, 16:24   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asivan View Post
You're probably right doc.

It does seem a bit confusing to me, as to why they would have bikes with engine displacements so close to each other. Looks like some big plans are in motion at Mattighofen.

Looking at the current high capacity biking scenario, I can't see why KTM are waiting to launch the others though. Looking at the success Benelli has had, the market is definitely there, even if the bikes do come by CKD.

Let's hope someone is reading this and thinking along these lines
Amit Nandi shared with me a couple of years ago that the 690 to be brought to India as a CKD would still cost upwards of 8 lac rupees.

That was when the rupee was a lot stronger than what it is now.
Old 11th September 2015, 16:49   #82
BHPian

As much as I would like something new from KTM, I think it's safe to say there's going to be nothing big for at least a year. Remember when the testing started for the RC390, and when it was actually launched? All the rumors that we see here are just that, rumors, or worse, figment of some auto website's imagination, aimed solely at getting more clicks.

Having said that, dreaming is fun, so let's keep doing that :-D
Old 11th September 2015, 17:12   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderZone View Post
As much as I would like something new from KTM, I think it's safe to say there's going to be nothing big for at least a year. Remember when the testing started for the RC390, and when it was actually launched? All the rumors that we see here are just that, rumors, or worse, figment of some auto website's imagination, aimed solely at getting more clicks.

Having said that, dreaming is fun, so let's keep doing that :-D
But personally the fact that there is a 2016 Duke 690 itself is news to me.

So in that I do believe the article has some merit.

Because a lot of the previous articles mentioned the 690 dead and buried as a bike.

Where it now appears its simply not part of the India gameplan. Which to me is a HUGE disappointment (no offense to the Chakan led effort ongoing currently on the world twins).

A 73 bhp single. Weighing under 160 kilos (352 pounds). I'm going weak in the knees just imagining myself riding it ....

http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/the...ina-1729626009

Last edited by ebonho : 11th September 2015 at 17:18.
Old 14th September 2015, 21:21   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Damn I almost missed it. 3 rider maps? If they release a 2016 390 with rider optional mapping Im going to kill somebody (and then curse racedynamics just for good measure).
Old 14th September 2015, 22:02   #85
Senior - BHPian

There is a huge potential they may get the 690 in. The biggest benefit of the harley 750 is that they opened up others to bring in their 650/690 series i think.

They cannot price it above the Honda 650 and hence i am sure the prices cannot be north of 7L.

I dont think they have a go ahead to manufacture 600s yet in India.

Even if they dont manufacture the CKD route can still land this bike at a competetive price. There are lot of single cylinder lovers here.

I for one am ready anyday to get my hands on the Super Duke if they can bring it at a competetive price.

Forget any 1L bike, the duke will smoke the world out of the rider.

Me WANTS 690 or super DUKE. Bring it on.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th September 2015, 12:10   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I for one am ready anyday to get my hands on the Super Duke if they can bring it at a competetive price.

Forget any 1L bike, the duke will smoke the world out of the rider.

Me WANTS 690 or super DUKE. Bring it on.
I just want the piddly 690 Duke bro.

I will be a satisfied boy.

And just a single setting would do fine for me (sport, yes please).

Not avaricious. Low expectations. Easily pleased.

Last edited by ebonho : 15th September 2015 at 12:12.
ebonho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2015, 02:00   #87
Senior - BHPian

Personally I don't think it's wise to opt in for the 690, after riding the 390 not because it's Made in India or Austria or the rhetoric. But let's get the facts straight.

You get more or less 30 bhp exthra. More BHP, hell yea, but 690 afther a 390! Doesn't make sense.

I just hope this is a prototype, did anyone see how far that exhaust can is swept, considering the nightmare of getting on it for (sedated wives) imaging the plight of bosomy figure extending her leg in case of cramps to directly get the heat treatment.

And hardware just from the looks of it, and all, I don't think it's worth any more than a lakh to 1.5 from the current Duke 390, if they launch it here in all my HUMBLE opinion.

Love the speedo console, sweet and chic.
Revised balancers, placed toward of the head of the engine, so that should take care of the front end vibes, at the least.
Rest all equipment, apart from the TORX screws, bolts, well, I think I'd save up my money for something even mouthwatering from KTM, at least a twin, which I always love.

For now, there's my 390.

Peace!

Cheers!
VJ :cool"

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 20th September 2015 at 02:02.
Old 20th September 2015, 09:39   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
You get more or less 30 bhp exthra. More BHP, hell yea, but 690 afther a 390! Doesn't make sense.
Vijay, how does 30 bhp extra, spread over just 10 kilos extra, when compared to our 390s, not make sense?

As you of course know, a single is totally different from a twin.

Yes, the twin would/should probably be faster, cc for cc.

But will it be more fun?

P.S. If you are seeing this now, could you reply back quickly please. Headed to the SVC to replace my clutch lever (I feel the current one is way too curved, making me open my palms wide at the ends to press it, making the wrist cock slightly inwards, leading to arm pump - diagnosed this finally yesterday on the tapri ride). My question was about the new throttle barrel, Is that only for the RC (because of the clip-on angle) or for the new 2015 Dukes as well? And will it require a new throttle cable as well (revised 'L' cable router)?

Last edited by ebonho : 20th September 2015 at 09:44.
Old 20th September 2015, 12:55   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Vijay, how does 30 bhp extra, spread over just 10 kilos extra, when compared to our 390s, not make sense?

As you of course know, a single is totally different from a twin.

Yes, the twin would/should probably be faster, cc for cc.

But will it be more fun?

P.S. If you are seeing this now, could you reply back quickly please. Headed to the SVC to replace my clutch lever (I feel the current one is way too curved, making me open my palms wide at the ends to press it, making the wrist cock slightly inwards, leading to arm pump - diagnosed this finally yesterday on the tapri ride). My question was about the new throttle barrel, Is that only for the RC (because of the clip-on angle) or for the new 2015 Dukes as well? And will it require a new throttle cable as well (revised 'L' cable router)?
Well Doc, you're absolutely right, the power to weight, all those things sure it can cream the daylights of most superbikes out there. Did we forget the fun factor, etc etc. The reason I mentioned it isn't a sensible approach, consider this,is that if 690 were launched first hand, the Duke 390 afterwards which would have you bought after riding both? Practicality, affordability, usable power everything. And don't forget price, that's one.

Yes, the torque, the weight, the HP all are worth the kidney transplant, but personally nothing to lose a night's sleep over the humble 390. Only if it weren't for those niggling quality issues, it would have been a different story. But, at least they're working on it.

Cheers!
VJ
Old 20th September 2015, 14:06   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Well Doc, you're absolutely right, the power to weight, all those things sure it can cream the daylights of most superbikes out there. Did we forget the fun factor, etc etc. The reason I mentioned it isn't a sensible approach, consider this,is that if 690 were launched first hand, the Duke 390 afterwards which would have you bought after riding both? Practicality, affordability, usable power everything. And don't forget price, that's one.

Yes, the torque, the weight, the HP all are worth the kidney transplant, but personally nothing to lose a night's sleep over the humble 390. Only if it weren't for those niggling quality issues, it would have been a different story. But, at least they're working on it.

Cheers!
VJ
No disrespect to the awesome 390.

But I would have bought the 690.

Every time.

Affordability? My 390 gives me 170 kms to a tank from brim to low fuel warning. When flogged. That's a shade over 20 kmpl.

If riding sensibly (110-120), smoothly, long distance, it gives 240. That's about 30 kmpl.

The 690 from all reports does a lot better than the Ninja 650 on the mileage front. The N650 is in the 18-20-22 kmpl range.

I believe for our kind of roads and traffic and riding in most real life conditions, the 690 would probably be cheaper to run than the 390. Bigger heart, less stressed.

Last edited by ebonho : 20th September 2015 at 14:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks