Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2014, 15:18   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Triumph Bonneville T100 Joins The Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan3004 View Post
Since I had to be away from home, the Bonnie was stored in the garage after thorough cleaning by a team of dedicated members who work on my cars too.
Susan3004,

Just one word - Wow - for your team of cleaners or should I say detailers.

By the way it was one from your tribe that ingnited and inspired my dream of going for Bonneville - Late Col. N J Nair AC, KC. 16 Maratha LI (proud to even think of you cousin) RIP.

He was like you, would get on to his Roadking and go off to far far away lands, just like that. In 1977 or so he rode from Ambala to Calcutta in uder 24 hours to see the great Pele play there along with the visiting Cosmos of New York. I think he rode right back after the match. Imagine our highway those days.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 28th August 2014 at 15:20.
r_nairtvm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th August 2014, 15:34   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Sandeep, Thats a fantastic trip from Delhi to Babina and back.

Iam sure you must have be totally starved and enjoyed munching those 1000kms

We missed meeting by just 2-3 days as I was on same stretch and used Taj Expressway to reach Agra from Delhi but, in a car.

Loved the pic in Morena. Reminds me of my 5500kms north trip in my car from Hyderabad wherein I crossed Morena while returning. Those mountains were really a sight to behold (very uniquely shaped)

Anymore pics in Morena?

Also, do share that one pic you shared offline with your Bonnie in rightmost frame and road on the left side. That was a fab picture too

Take care and be safe whereever you are !!!

Last edited by mobike008 : 28th August 2014 at 15:35.
Old 28th August 2014, 22:52   #33
BHPian

@Ram. Col Nair is a legend. His name has been inscribed in golden letters in the chronicles of gallantry displayed by infantarians.

@Avi. The ride continues...

Well...It so happened that after my two days stay at Babina when I was preparing for my journey back home, I just got the stimulus to ride more than just getting back home. Ergo, I decided to go to Sukma Dumka Dam which happens to be further South East of Babina.

The road to the dam from the NS corridor is a narrow and an inconspicuous one. The traffic is sparse, with one odd commuter bike from the connecting villages.

Triumph Bonneville T100 Joins The Garage-20140823_111700.jpg

Triumph Bonneville T100 Joins The Garage-20140823_111738.jpg

The dam seemed to be a lesser known picnic spot as there were a few local lads taking a dip into the overflowing water. There was an old culvert connecting the banks of the spill over rivulet. I dared to ride across over it, just for the heck of it.

Triumph Bonneville T100 Joins The Garage-20140823_112230.jpg

Triumph Bonneville T100 Joins The Garage-20140823_112248.jpg

Triumph Bonneville T100 Joins The Garage-20140823_112307.jpg

Triumph Bonneville T100 Joins The Garage-img20140823wa0006.jpeg

Since there was not much to and the afternoon temperature was soaring, I turned back toward the NS corridor with the aim to ride North and home.
I rode quick and continuous so as to cover 486km in five and a half hours time. Just took a couple of breaks to drink water before I reached home.

Triumph Bonneville T100 Joins The Garage-20140823_135207.jpg

The Bonnie behaved very aptly, the speed, pick up and braking have been up to the mark. However, one issue noticed(needs to be concurred at the service centre also) is the increase in engine sound. Nothing obnoxious, but seems that tappets are a tad noisier than they ought to be.

After this trip, my Bonnie has clocked 3000km plus. That brings me to question about the increased tappet noise. Can somebody approve of the same with the fact that their bikes have already crossed this mark. Or is it because of the continuous high speed operation of the engine?
susan3004 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 09:42   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@Avi. The ride continues...
First picture is outstanding with Bonnie amidst the tree lined highway.

And, nicely framed too

Quote:
After this trip, my Bonnie has clocked 3000km plus. That brings me to question about the increased tappet noise. Can somebody approve of the same with the fact that their bikes have already crossed this mark. Or is it because of the continuous high speed operation of the engine?
Tappet noise is the ticking noise you hear when engine is at Idle? If yes, I noted that too after some high-speed riding but, when engine cools down that sound disappears. I have noted this during our Bangalore run as we were constantly at high speeds but, after that never noticed this particular sound ever again

Perhaps Ram can add more info from his technical acumen
Old 29th August 2014, 11:14   #35
BHPian

The ticking sound is continuous, generally not heard at higher speeds because of the wind noise. Albeit, waiting for Ram to shed some light on this issue.
Old 29th August 2014, 13:59   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Tappet noise is the ticking noise you hear when engine is at Idle? If yes, I noted that too after some high-speed riding but, when engine cools down that sound disappears. I have noted this during our Bangalore run as we were constantly at high speeds but, after that never noticed this particular sound ever again

Perhaps Ram can add more info from his technical acumen
Not that I am a technical person, who can explain what this is, but here is what I have been told by experts.

As you are probably aware the engine does not have a tappet system in the conventional sense (tappet rods and rocker arms). What it has is a "shim & bucket" system.

Yes as you have observed, the clicking noise becomes pronounced after a continuous high speed run, that is staying in 3 digit speeds for say over half an hour or so. This I believe is caused by differential expansion properties of the metals used.

I am told that if the engine is running without any clicking noise when cold or reasonably warmed up, then there is no cause for concern.

In my bike also I used to hear this when the bike was new and in our high speed runs here in UAE. But over the time I stopped even noticing it, maybe the shims and buckets got seated better or I got used to it that I stopped noticing it.

The Bonnie/Triumph engines are so over engineered, I think this shouldn't be a concern.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2014, 16:14   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post

The Bonnie/Triumph engines are so over engineered, I think this shouldn't be a concern.

I also do think on the same lines. In fact, I am also suspecting the fuel quality which is presently in the tank. I intend taking it for a spin in the city, which will give a chance to refuel and also retrospect on the new found engine sound!

By the way, how many km have you clocked on your bike?
Old 29th August 2014, 17:29   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I also do think on the same lines. In fact, I am also suspecting the fuel quality which is presently in the tank. I intend taking it for a spin in the city, which will give a chance to refuel and also retrospect on the new found engine sound!

By the way, how many km have you clocked on your bike?
My bike is now 5 year old and done 23k in the first 3 years. Since then the bike is in India and has been on hibernation mostly.

Regards & Ride safe

Ram
Old 30th August 2014, 08:48   #39
BHPian

Took a ninety km ride last evening. Got a chance to fill petrol also. The peculiar noise in question has mellowed down and it's not that bothersome after all, so one can live with it.

Ram, may I request you to post more pictures of your Bonnie. It would be appreciated if the centre stand is seen.

I inquired about the paddock/pit bull stand, and learnt that it is not available as an accessory. I was wondering if the main stand might further lower the ground clearance...Ram?
Old 30th August 2014, 11:49   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by argchoff View Post
Even i am planning to get the HIGH FLOW silencers fitted on the SE Bonnie. The Pune dealer does not seem to have this in stock. Question is - how good do they sound and does it noticeably improve pick up and performance. If it does then an ECU remap may be required at the service centre.
Quote:
The sound of the Hi Flow pipes is definitely more aggressive than the stock pipes. And at the same time quite comfortable to live with. In my opinion the arrows were too loud and on long runs they would tire down the rider.

The other advantage of the Hi Flow pipes is that they look exactly the same as originals less the baffles in the rear.

The technicians claimed the increase in power, albeit I could not feel it on the TD bike perhaps because of the traffic restricting the move.

The service centre recommends ECU remapping.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Bonneville T100 Joins The Garage-img_0840a.jpg  

Last edited by jkdas : 30th August 2014 at 11:51.
Old 30th August 2014, 12:18   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

JK, that's the video you shot when you were coming to my home, isn't it while riding as a pillion on a T100?

Btw, Hi-Flow Silencers of a T100 and Bonnie SE are very different due to the exhaust construction

Having ridden both, T100 Peashooter HFS are subtle compared to Bonnie SE HFS
Old 30th August 2014, 14:29   #42
BHPian

Yes...Ram's Bonnie.
I wonder if the main stand makes any difference to the ground clearance negatively.
Does that T100 in the video belong to Mani?
Old 30th August 2014, 15:27   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ram, may I request you to post more pictures of your Bonnie. It would be appreciated if the centre stand is seen.

I inquired about the paddock/pit bull stand, and learnt that it is not available as an accessory. I was wondering if the main stand might further lower the ground clearance...Ram?
JKD has already posted the pic with Centre Stand out

It doesn't lower the GC any further. The mounting point is well tucked in higher than the Exhaust pipe. The bottom end tucks in almost on level with the Cans (peashooter) with only the access lever sticking out from under the left can.

Please notice in my bikes pic that the can's bottom levels are higher than the lower point of Bend Pipe and the exhaust pipe. Hence the Centre stand does not lower the GC (at least in my practical experience).

Best Regards & Thanks

Ram
r_nairtvm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2014, 08:45   #44
BHPian

Seems that it's quite practical to get the side stand installed.
At least the cleaning of the bike becomes much easier.
Old 31st August 2014, 11:36   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seems that it's quite practical to get the side stand installed.
At least the cleaning of the bike becomes much easier.
Hey, I am sure you mean the Centre Stand Side stand isn't it already there

Best Regards & Ride safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 31st August 2014 at 11:40.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks