Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2014, 14:41   #16
Team-BHP Support

re: Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home

I'm not much of a biker, but I scrolled up and down a few times to get a second (third,fourth.....) look at your bike. Lovely stance and color combination to match. The picture with your father is amazing, dare I say the bike suits the young biker gentleman to the 'T'.

Who in their right mind allowed the designer to put that abomination of an oil reservoir at such a visible spot? Deserves the proverbial 'shoot behind the barn' treatment.

Enjoy your ride. It's just an added bonus that your better half shares your enthusiasm for biking. Saves all the convincing and groveling
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2014, 15:39   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djay99 View Post
Awesome review sting. Enjoyed reading it and many congratulations on getting Bonnie.!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
Congratulations. A great write up.
Thanks djay, bigron. I enjoyed writing this experience. I am glad you enjoyed reading it. It's a timeless classic and I hope to etch some good memories with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Wish I could have seen your bike in person (though iam in your town from more than a week but heading back home today)

As an ex-Bonnie owner ( find it very strange to say this), ...

P.S: Headlights of all 600cc and above bikes have to be mandatorily on at all times. But, i didnt get the point where you mentioned its on even after killing the engine?
Thanks Avi, it is indeed a fulfilling experience finally owning a Bonnie. I don't think I will every have an urge to 'upgrade' which is what I might have had had I owned a Japanese or American beauty.

I won't lie and say I can imagine what you feel like being an 'ex Bonnie owner'. All I would say is you have a Bonnie available to ride in Delhi whenever you are here next! Hope to meet up with you sometime.

Headlights for 600cc+ segment is new information to me, will search for more details. Thanks. When I refer to killing the engine I meant I would have expected the headlight to cut off the moment the engine is not running. Would have avoided draining the battery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
Hi Sting,

A nice thread and congratulations once again. Beautifully written and I am sure you will keep it updated.

I am not as experienced as you are on ridding the 4 legged verity, but from my limited experience I have noticed that (or may be I am imagining) a kind of rapport that develops between a horse and you if you ride it often enough. I feel Bonnie does that with you as well over the time .

Regarding the ugliest part - you can change that to a T100 one its a 20 minutes job (luckily mine is the T100 type).

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram
Thanks Ram, I am glad you liked the thread. You are absolutely right about the relationship with horses. Of the 40+ horses available in the club I have a favourite few. Incidentally, no one else likes to ride them for their temperament, quirks et al. And I find them to the most forgiving to my mistakes- just like the Bonneville! Relationship with horses is a subject I can go on and on for ever.

I thought the only option was the Triumph anodised cylindrical accessory for the reservoir. Will confirm with the dealership as I do like the T100 one.

I was wondering what fuel you use, Ram? The dealership recommended 93RON+ fuel and I overreacted and got Speed 97+. A little research showed 91+ is sufficient. Your thoughts, recommendations would be welcome. I don't want to end up tipping OPEC with my hard earned money for something that wasn't needed in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
Welcome to the club Sting! Wish you miles and miles of riding bliss. Had I to make a decision today, I'd probably choose the White/Blue over the Black, but then again, I love my Bonnie!

Now, for some unsolicited advise: LOCK UP YOUR WALLET. While Triumphs' don't have the crazy Harley tax, the sheer amount of customization that you can do tempts you to waste endless hours on the what-ifs and then placing orders and then cancelling them! Just speaking from experience.

On the twisted wire, its normal.

Another thing, which I learnt the hard way about last week, is don't depend on the low fuel light. Watch your odo and top up the fuel when you reach 170 kms. Along with me, 3 other Bonnies I know of have seen their fuel sensors go kaput.

The Bonnie owners in India should ride together soon.
Thanks djpeesh. I am indeed excited and the excitement I see from the fellow Bonnie owners just fuels my liking for this motorcycle even more. I can finally get the twisted wire off my mind, thanks for confirming. Mobike008 and you are right about the colours. I will cover my observations at the end of this post- it's a very difficult choice between the two.

The aftermarket accessory availability is crazy! Almost every bolt &nut is available from 10 different suppliers in 10 different designs. The fact that the Bonnie is highly customisable doesn't help the wallet either.

Eventually, I want El Caballo Blanco to develop a touring personality and God willing and wallet permitting it shall happen.

Thanks for the heads up on the fuel light. Will keep that in mind during my next refill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
Congratulations on this stunning acquisition. The color combination looks classic. Very nice write up and photos!
Good to see you carried on with your purchase in spite the Triumph power rating fiasco.
Thanks, Vtechguy glad you enjoyed the pics. I did put in an hour on a cold winter morning to 'spit and polish' the bike for the photo shoot. The fog in Delhi added to the mystic character of this modern classic.

It was indeed a difficult decision to go with in the middle of this fiasco. But the love for the Bonnie triumphed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Congratulations! A looker. Happy to see the smiles on the older folk esp your dad. I guess they would all love to own this bike too!
Thanks naveenroy. It is indeed a happy lot. The Bonneville has brought smiles wherever it has gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I'm not much of a biker, but I scrolled up and down a few times to get a second (third,fourth.....) look at your bike. Lovely stance and color combination to match. The picture with your father is amazing, dare I say the bike suits the young biker gentleman to the 'T'.

Who in their right mind allowed the designer to put that abomination of an oil reservoir at such a visible spot? Deserves the proverbial 'shoot behind the barn' treatment.

Enjoy your ride. It's just an added bonus that your better half shares your enthusiasm for biking. Saves all the convincing and groveling
Chetan, if my dad reads your post, you will soon be his favourite bhpian. It has been very difficult to keep him off motorcycles. Glad you enjoyed the pictures. As my wife says- the Bonnie finally got the DSLR out of a hibernation of 6 years. The OLX ‘badi badi batein’ ad has made life miserable.

Djpeesh and mobike008 pointed out the colour conundrum, it was a difficult decision for me too to pick between the black and white/blue combination. The truth is one can't go wrong with either. Colour is a HIGHLY subjective choice but a few thoughts for potential buyers on the differences in 2 colours:

Black Bonneville:
  • Undoubtedly the most photogenic Bonnie - the photographs turn out extremely well.
  • Highly customisation friendly in terms of accessory colours and will go with almost any scheme, theme or accessories you might want to add.
  • Does not attract undo and immediate attention. As with all Bonnies once they do attract attention it is difficult to keep eyes off.
  • More readily available, lesser waiting period.
  • The colour is a scratch magnet.

White/Blue Bonneville:
  • The most retro looking Bonnie.
  • Very unique and stands out - I don't know of any other motorcycle that has this paint and colour scheme.
  • Not so easy to photograph. Most of the pics don't do justice to how it looks in reality.
  • This colour is unfortunately now discontinued. But a similar white/blue scheme has been introduced that just has the white and blue inverted on the tank. I was offered this colour but was adamant on the one I got. Some like the blue scheme better.

Safe riding.

Cheers,
Sting

Last edited by Sting : 31st December 2014 at 15:42.
Sting is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2014, 16:30   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post

I thought the only option was the Triumph anodised cylindrical accessory for the reservoir. Will confirm with the dealership as I do like the T100 one.

I was wondering what fuel you use, Ram? The dealership recommended 93RON+ fuel and I overreacted and got Speed 97+. A little research showed 91+ is sufficient. Your thoughts, recommendations would be welcome. I don't want to end up tipping OPEC with my hard earned money for something that wasn't needed in the first place.
The part you need is PFKL1203705 FRONT MASTER CYLINDER ASSY

Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-front-br-mc-assy.jpg

You need all that comes in Item 1. It costs about GBP 200/-

Fuel - my bike when it landed in India was on a 97 RON tune. This was what I was running with in UAE as well. But the Triumph Service Engineers in the Dealreship in Doha Qatar had told me that its good for anything over 91 RON.

In UAE I always tried to go with the Super - which is 98 RON.

After reaching Bangalore - I was using whatever was available for a few days. Then I found that fuel from some particular pumps were give me a much smoother ride than the others and among the was the outlets of Shell.

Since then I have been sticking with Shell either the higher grade one or the regular one as far as possible.

By and large there have bee no issue with fuel.

Best Regards & Ride Safe

Ram

Last edited by r_nairtvm : 31st December 2014 at 16:31.
r_nairtvm is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st December 2014, 21:00   #19
BHPian

Achingly beautiful bike Sting and even prettier pics. I am so tempted to empty out the salary account and apply for a PF advance from the company. Is this love or a mid-life crisis? Funny thing 's never ridden any geared 2 wheeler before :-(
Ferruccio is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2014, 21:09   #20
BHPian

Great choice in spite of the detuninig fiasco End of the day, the heart wants what it wants

Fantastic pics!
Old 1st January 2015, 09:29   #21
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on owning your dream Sting. The spirit of freedom that a bike gives you is more important than anything else. In my opinion the Bonne looks best in the color that you have got. Ride safe and ride hard. Do ride down to Meerut one of these days for a get together.

And btw, I plan to ride well into my 70's if the lord permits. My greetings to your Dad. Cheers...
Old 1st January 2015, 11:44   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_nairtvm View Post
The part you need is PFKL1203705 FRONT MASTER CYLINDER ASSY

You need all that comes in Item 1. It costs about GBP 200/-

Fuel -....But the Triumph Service Engineers in the Dealreship in Doha Qatar had told me that its good for anything over 91 RON.
Thanks Ram, ive taken note of the front master assembly. It is definitely something i'd like to change sometime in the near future.

I'll try the regular fuel since that is what will be available for use on trips outside Delhi. Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
Achingly beautiful bike Sting and even prettier pics. I am so tempted to empty out the salary account and apply for a PF advance from the company. Is this love or a mid-life crisis? Funny thing 's never ridden any geared 2 wheeler before :-(
Ferruccio, When the motorcycling bug catches you, its the start of the recovery from the crisis. If you havent tried the 2 wheeled kind you should. One thing i can assure you is even if you start with bikes that don't cost and arm an leg the excitment wouldnt be any less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_v_i View Post
End of the day, the heart wants what it wants
Thanks AVI, who knows it better than us Triumph owners who still cant part with their bikes depsite the Management!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Congratulations on owning your dream Sting. The spirit of freedom that a bike gives you is more important than anything else. In my opinion the Bonne looks best in the color that you have got. Ride safe and ride hard. Do ride down to Meerut one of these days for a get together.

And btw, I plan to ride well into my 70's if the lord permits. My greetings to your Dad. Cheers...
Dkaile, Thank you! I think your superlow is the most gorgeous motorcycle i have seen on this forum! I've drooled over it many times over and would love to see it in person. I'll take you up on that invitation to Meerut, our paternal village is nearby and i do intend to visit it once on the bike. If you decide to come to this side do let me know.

+1 on the spirit of freedom that a motorcycle gets. No matter what 2 wheeler we get, a splendor, a pulsar, a bonneville, superlow, a fat bob, a Rocket III, the excitement and freedom that comes with it is no different.

Riding in the 70's - as my mom would say, ".....there's something in the water of U.P!"
Sting is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2015, 15:00   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting View Post
I was wondering what fuel you use, Ram? The dealership recommended 93RON+ fuel and I overreacted and got Speed 97+. A little research showed 91+ is sufficient. Your thoughts, recommendations would be welcome. I don't want to end up tipping OPEC

Safe riding.

Cheers,
Sting

Don't worry about fuel. I've filled up regular petrol at all sorts of fuel stations and she runs like a dream. So don't waste money on speed, the profit on which Btw goes to the desi oil company and not opec
djpeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2015, 18:47   #24
BHPian

Congrats Sting on owning the timeless classic beauty. And the color choice like others have complimented you is a fabulous one for a classic bike. Eager to see some functional farkling getting on the bike as time progresses.

As for fuel, I was told that India sold Triumph's have been remapped for 89 Octane (thats 2 additional Octanes lower to compensate for fuel adulteration also). Hence anything from 89 Octane upwards is fine. Also remember that Shell and other oil companies, all pick up their fuel from the same refinery source, therefore I would guess the only advantage of Shell is probably chance of lesser/no adulteration. Besides, if you are looking at serious touring, sticking with only Shell goes out of the window.

As for your dad, great spirits. He is trying to tell the family- "You dont stop riding because you get old, but you get old because you stop riding" BTW, he would be happy to know there is a Bonneville rider down south in Krishnagiri who is in his mid-70s and regularly does long rides on all his bikes incl his Suzuki Bandit, RE, Duke etc.....

Ride safe and enjoy every mile on your belowed El Caballo

Last edited by Haroon : 1st January 2015 at 18:49.
Haroon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2015, 21:52   #25
BHPian

Congratulations on buying a great bike. Nice photographs. You are lucky to get that colour combination, IMO is looks way better than the inverted blue white combination. Wishing you many many safe miles on it.
argchoff is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2015, 22:00   #26
BHPian

Congrats on the Bonnie , er, El Caballo Blanco - and getting that long forgotten DSLR out for a little fresh air

It's a good thing the Bonnie has such understated looks and quiet pipes, for the discrete riders, it's a god-send so that the bike can be parked relatively unmolested.
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 10:47   #27
BHPian

Sting, I couldn't identify more with the first two lines of your post! I find myself in a similar dreaded predicament. I was all set to make a booking for the Bonneville till a friend prodded me into walking into the Motoguzzi dealership on Residency Road, Bangalore. One look at the Griso and a test ride shortly afterwards stalled all my plans. The head says Bonneville (practical, doesn't attract too much attention, spares and maintenance would be cheaper) while the heart says Griso. The Motoguzzi Griso is a work of art, by the way its also a motorcycle! One short ride and it will make you forget the Triumph.
Now, I know this isn't an apple to apple comparison at all, the two models in question are very very different from each other but this is the dilemma I am faced with at the moment.
Hopefully the "negotiations and re-negotiations between the head and heart" end up adding one of the machines to my parking lot soon!
Prozac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 12:38   #28
BHPian

Congratulations Sting. Lovely colour! The only additional change I would do to El Caballo (I have on mine) would be to relocate the front Regn plate. I have fastened it on to the rectifier below the headlight. Ride safe.
Jayant06 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 15:38   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post

As for fuel, ...

"You dont stop riding because you get old, but you get old because you stop riding" BTW, he would be happy to know there is a Bonneville rider down south in Krishnagiri who is in his mid-70s and regularly does long rides on all his bikes incl his Suzuki Bandit, RE, Duke etc.....
Thanks Haroon, it is comforting to know there's no fuss around the fuel. The dealership planted the thought in my mind and I've been trying to get rid of it ever since!

I wish there was better sense and discipline in the traffic of Delhi. Not that my dad is the most disciplined rider anyway! I plan to take him out on a ride on the Yamuna expressway and let him enjoy his time with El Caballo Blanco. Hats off to these men (my dad included!) who make our back ache and stiff suspension complaints seem like childhish whining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by argchoff View Post
...Wishing you many many safe miles on it.
Thanks Argchoff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
It's a good thing the Bonnie has such understated looks and quiet pipes, for the discrete riders, it's a god-send so that the bike can be parked relatively unmolested.
Thanks Ricci, the understated looks are a boon in many ways, some actually considered it to be a repainted RE. I've used it for regular commutes and parked it in markets without too much worry. I've added the extra stealth by using a Royal Enfield motorcycle cover while it's parked in my house!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prozac View Post
..Hopefully the "negotiations and re-negotiations between the head and heart" end up adding one of the machines to my parking lot soon!
Prozac, The Motguzzi is undoubtedly a fabulous looker that doesn't have many matches. I hope you get it and treat us to some great pics and a review!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayant06 View Post
Congratulations Sting. Lovely colour! The only additional change I would do to El Caballo (I have on mine) would be to relocate the front Regn plate. I have fastened it on to the rectifier below the headlight. Ride safe.
Jayant, I'm keen on that and have explored a few options including using a sticker on the front mud guard. I plan to get a rectifier relocator and add the Thruxton mount- Ram has a similar setup that looks very neat. Do you have pictures of your setup? What clamps/mounts did you use and any modifications required? Will be very useful to see the pics.

Cheers,
Sting

Last edited by Sting : 2nd January 2015 at 16:01.
Sting is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2015, 16:19   #30
BHPian

I had a bracket made and screwed it on to the existing bolts on the rectifier
Attached Thumbnails
Triumph Bonneville - El Caballo Blanco rides home-img_0021.jpg  

Jayant06 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks