Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2015, 01:44   #1
BHPian

Used Superbike for everyday use - Budget up to 8 lakhs

Hello everyone. This is my first thread.
I have reached the point where even a car does not thrill the enthusiast in me. So I have decided to get a Superbike. Since the 600s are illegal and the new Superbikes are well out of my budget, I have decided to go for a pre-owned one.
My requirements are simple.
1. A Superbike that I can use more or less on an everyday basis.
2. A budget of 6-8L
3. Year not less than 2009
4. Preferred bikes : Yamaha FZ1, Honda CB1000R, Honda CB1000RR Fireblade and Suzuki GSXR-1000
5. State of registration : TN
6. Clean, not grey.

Though many might scoff at this, there will be a couple of owners out there meeting these specifications.
And yes, I can adjust to the ergonomics of Fireblade and Gixxer for everyday use, havin owned an R15.

Anticipating a lot of opinions and responses.
vishal.jayakuma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2015, 10:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Used Superbike for everyday use - Budget up to 8 lakhs

I only have 3 things to say...

1. Pls go through this - http://www.team-bhp.com/advice/how-b...uperbike-india
2. Google & search TBhp for latest happenings in motorcycling in India
3. Last but not the least, Ninja 650, Street Triple & Hyosung GT650 are LEGALLY sold in India & fits to your budget
aargee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2015, 12:33   #3
Team-BHP Support

Vishal,

If you are not inclined on an inline 4, 1000cc engine, you might get new bikes in your budget. If you scour a bit, you should get lovely CB's & FZ's in your budget (used)

My advise would be to go for nakeds with good torque low down for everyday commute.

That Z would be my pick though.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2015, 13:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

My pick would be the Triumph Bonneville. It is "perfection on 2 wheels".
Old 4th January 2015, 14:03   #5
BHPian

IMO, if you really want to go (only) for a used superbike then search for naked ones like CB1000R/FZ1, because they are more liveable in everyday riding conditions with their riding position, power delivery etc. Agreed, buying a thorough bred like an R1/CBR1000RR will be fun but I don't think one can ride it around everyday in the city with the demanding riding position. Won't it be taxing on you few months down the line?

Now, honestly, if I were in your place, I'd buy a new Ninja 650. Looks sporty enough, great riding posture for everyday riding, more than enough power for the city (even our highways for that matter). And most importantly, the 'new-bike' feel which you will get.

So, go for the (used) naked ones or a new Ninja 650

-Bhargav
Octane_Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2015, 12:03   #6
BHPian

I really think getting a used CB1000R would be ideal for a couple of reasons - The CB1000 is very easy and tractable to ride when compared to the FZ1 as I feel the FZ1 is a bit front heavy motorcycle. The SBK's are good. But city commuting is not where they can be enjoyed the most. The fireblade & the gixxer are one of the most comfortable SBK's I have got to ride (when compared to the Ducati's and the Aprilia's), but nothing beats a naked in the city. Also the motorcycle will heat lesser than a fully faired one.
Whichever you choose, try and ride the motorcycle where its going to be used and not on an empty stretch of road where everything is enjoyable!

DM99
dhawalmakwana99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2015, 14:49   #7
BHPian

Unlikely that you'll get second had Zs as of now which fit into your criteria. But you can go for a new one if you stretch your budget a tad. That'll be the best option for you.
Try test riding the Bonnie. It's very easy to use on an everyday basis, once you get used to it. Other options can be a well maintained FZ1 (rare) or a Fireblade (very rare).
barcalad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2015, 12:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: Used Superbike for everyday use - Budget up to 8 lakhs

I would say a used CB1000 or then a new Bonniville SE (i always prefer a new bike over a used one). The other option is to wait for the Beneli bikes to start operations. Incase of second hand, please do not venture into an grey bikes getting lured by the cheaper cost. There was a used z800 done some low kms for sale and the asking was 7 something.
Old 9th January 2015, 20:11   #9
BHPian

I am sure the new Ninja 650 will fit in your budget and will also give you enough left over money to buy a decent riding gear for bike. Go for the Ninja 650 with 8 lakh budget it will be a steal to get something that is probably less than 6 lakhs.

My two cents.
Old 9th January 2015, 21:14   #10
BHPian

For the budget you have mentioned, you have few good options as suggested by many of our friends here. I assume it will be city commute when you say about day-to-day use. SBKs can be a overkill for daily commute and they will beg to be revved. As few suggested, look for a sports bike with excellent low and midrange performance. The first thing that comes is ninja 650 or er6n. Unfortunately ktm doesn't have duke 690 and that would have been more sportier than any other motorcycles in india. Since you are used to R15 and if you are okay with a slightly reduced budget, ninja 300 is a very good option. I would say it is a balanced vehicle for both city and highway riding.

Having said that, if your heart is still with SBKs, then you save some more and go for z800. You can see reports about possible price reduction for z800. I am sure you will end up having a big headache with plenty of options to choose. Simple - buy a bike what your heart says. If that is done, you can ride the bike you love even in hell like conditions If you are still not clear, go ahead and do test rides. Wish you success in getting a motorcycle which suits your requirements the most. Make sure you get a one which is legally available in india.
Old 10th January 2015, 03:00   #11
BHPian

I think a used FZ1 or a new Z800 will suit your needs and until March the Rs.50,000 price cut on the Z800 will work out in your favor.

If you think mid-weights will do it for you then the Kawasaki ER6n is a sweet bike or if you can wait then HMSI already went to press stating that they are going to manufacture the CBR650F(i4) in India and you can expect to see it in Indian showroom within this year.

Last edited by tjacob : 10th January 2015 at 03:04.
Old 10th January 2015, 21:55   #12
BHPian

If looking for used SBKs, there is a FB group 'Superbikes Classifieds'. If you patiently keep a look out, you can find some good deals on some of the bikes suggested here (with possibly some accessories also). BTW, for daily use the Triumph Bonneville is also a great mount. You can do a test ride and decide.
Old 11th January 2015, 22:25   #13
BHPian

I would love to own a superbike (have started saving too). However have some concerns with respect to road side assistance and fuel quality. If something we're to go wrong on our highways do the dealers provide assistance? If riding on a highway will I still be able to fill up at a regular fuel station?
Old 12th January 2015, 00:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepfreak15 View Post
I would love to own a superbike (have started saving too). However have some concerns with respect to road side assistance and fuel quality. If something we're to go wrong on our highways do the dealers provide assistance? If riding on a highway will I still be able to fill up at a regular fuel station?
I agree, that is one reason I will never buy a "niche brand" in India, like Triumph or Harley (though Triumph will always be my dream bike next to Yezdi) - regardless of how rich I get.

In fact, even among Indian manufacturers one of the first criteria I look at is, which dealer is walking distance from my house . I know it may be a bit silly, but makes a LOT of difference when we have to leave the bike for service and fit that into a usually inflexible work schedule. It was also the main reason I ended up selling my Bullet a few years back - since getting it serviced was becoming a tedious, time-consuming thing (nearest service center 15 kms away). And I don't believe in leaving the bike with unauthorized mechanics, I know too many of them personally and unethical things they do (like swap out parts, swap out battery etc).

I guess you may be better off getting a Honda/Yamaha superbike than say, Triumph or Harley, from a maintenance perspective. But if thats a factor, check with the local service centers whether they service superbikes.

In the end I guess owning a super bike comes with the commitment of spending extra time and care for maintaining it. Or do what many people do, and keep the super bike for weekends + a Splendor for daily use .

Last edited by rajushank84 : 12th January 2015 at 00:36.
Old 12th January 2015, 10:20   #15
Team-BHP Support

Had been down the same street and trust me it is every paisa worth to buy a new one these days. You get great finance deals also. I have been using the Street as a daily commuter since Oct 1st and no regrets, its great handler, not very heavy and runs pretty much cool even in BLR traffic.

Even Kawa has some great bikes if you want to stick to Japs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks