Team-BHP - Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Superbikes & Imports (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/)
-   -   Kawasaki Versys 650 launched at Rs. 6.6 lakh (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/superbikes-imports/171682-kawasaki-versys-650-launched-rs-6-6-lakh-8.html)

I have booked with KTM Rajpath in Bhubaneswar. Initial delivery promised was in less than 2 months but seems will get the bike in about 15-20 days. On road about 7.3 all inclusive. Though not clear I think mine is the only confirmed booking with the dealer.... So little optimistic to get it in time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harshal.Bhosale (Post 3889189)
Do you mean the KTM Baner showroom (near Cummins office)? If it's close to your place, try getting hold of Mr. Varad More when you next pass by - I'm not sure whether he manages the Baner branch now (they've opened a new KTM exclusive at Nal Stop), but he's a true-blue biker and has a moto-journalism background - if he's there he might definitely be able to help you better. You might say the opposite of what you're saying now regarding the service attitude of their staff if he's around.

No the Bund Garden KTM showroom is the one who sells 650 cc Kwackers. They did not specify any dates and knew nothing about the bike apparently. Same with Garve KTM-Kawasaki in Pimple Gurav.

I have never seen a Kawasaki in the Baner showroom, been there twice but only KTM's there AFAIK.

:) I am putting out my personal opinion here and sincerely hope it aids the people in their decision. Probably the final decision/liking may vary from person to person based on their own expectations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 3889178)
What's the difference between an Adventure Sport Tourer and Adventure Tourer? Just curious to know...that's all

Although the BMW GS was among the first to be coined an 'Adventure Tourer', today most of these tall, upright seating bikes are generally categorized into the Adventure Tourer category. But having ridden different categories of bikes over different terrains, personally I have a slightly different take on that. Some may disagree with me, and I respect that.

An adventure Tourer is generally a bike thats supremely capable of crossing the sand dunes in Sahara or snow in Siberia/Alsaka or rocks in Mongolia with the best rider/luggage accommodations, adequate power, easier roadside maintenance and ofcourse better handling, reasonable wind protection, hard metal side/top cases etc. With this criteria, esp with torque/gearing requirements for off road duty some of the best engine configurations are ideally the twin cylinder engines (parallel, V-twin, opposed twin etc). They need spoke wheels (preferably 19 inch front) as spoke wheels can take lots of beating and even if its bent, a hammer (and a tube if its a tubeless spoke wheel) can get you back on the road. Need knobby tires for grip in the not so ideal dry & wet situations. They need large petrol tanks/range and capability to carry additional fuel. Although most of these Adventure tourers have enough space & power to do 2-up riding, Adventure Touring is generally a SOLO affair (not a rule though) coz thats the hardcore stuff and having a passenger is an added challenge in the hardcore soft sand, rocky terrain, snow tracks, slushy situations etc that one has to surely encounter on trans-continental journeys many times having to ride for kms & kms standing on the footpegs, surely not easy with a passenger. Thats why the Adventure Tourer bikes in my list generally have have removable passenger seats that have additional special features (or provisions for) to comfortably fit a tailbag/tent bag etc on that space. For example when you remove the rear seat on the 1200GS there are rubber knobs on the metal fender so it provides grip to your tailbag/tent bag etc. Similarly on the Yamaha Super Tenere the rear passenger grab handles can be turned the other way to provide a wing like support for a tailbag/tent bag etc. Also the footpegs are all-metal & wider to give your boots serious grip when standing & riding thru river crossings or slush etc. On these bikes the manufacturers try to bring down the center of gravity to avoid making them top heavy.

The list from the main manufacturers

The Large displacement Adventure Tourers
BMW R1200GS/GSA, KTM Adventure 1190, 1290, Yamaha Super Tenere 1200. I will also reluctantly include in this list the Triumph Explorer 1200, Honda Cross Tourer 1200 and the Ducati MS1200 Enduro

The smaller displacement Adventure Tourers
Kawasaki KLR650, Suzuki DR650, BMW 800GS, Triumph Tiger 800 Xcx, Honda Africa Twin, Transalp, Yamaha Tenere 660

Everything else from the Ducati Mutistrada 1200, Aprillia Caponard, V-Strom, Versys are mostly bikes with sporty engines that are tall, higher ground clearance, plastic sidecases and have upright seating and hence in the Adventure-Sport-Touring category, were in these are primarily comfortable, fast & nimble tarmac bikes that can also easily handle the light off-road/ bad road stretches without being pushed too much. An accidental drop in the dirt in many cases means lots of broken plastics $$$

While some of these Sport-Adventure-Tourers can be 'converted' into Adventure Tourers after visiting the Touratec/Twisted Throttle websites:), I am referring to the basic DNA of the bikes as made by the manufacturer.

Today visited the KTM Kawasaki outlet in Saki Naka, Mumbai to check out the Versys 650 ABS. Mumbai OTR with comprehensive insurance is 7.41L and with zero depreciation insurance is 7.49L.

The bike looks huge and has great presence although I wish it was launched in other colors available in overseas markets. The riding stance is slightly more taller than the Ninja 650 and tad more upright compared to Ninja 650. I am 6 feet tall and was able to place both feet down on the bike with ease.

I am a Ninja 650 owner so if anyone has tours which involve pillion then definitely Versys 650 would make lot of sense due to the 170 mm GC but climbing on the rear seat for the pillion would be a task for sure. Pillion might have to leverage the rear foot peg to hop on whereas on N650 that's not a problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haroon (Post 3889274)
While some of these Sport-Adventure-Tourers can be 'converted' into Adventure Tourers after visiting the Touratec/Twisted Throttle websites, I am referring to the basic DNA of the bikes as made by the manufacturer.

That was a simple yet fantastic read. Now I know what's the difference.:)

Well, Though wishes can be horses where I would love to own the hard core adventure bikes and tour different terrain like you across the world. But, I reckon that is not going to happen anytime soon

So till then can only imagine/dream of accomplishing and scaling the standard terrain of our country on "Sport Adventure Tourer"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sachin_Nair (Post 3889330)
The bike looks huge and has great presence although I wish it was launched in other colors available in overseas markets. The riding stance is slightly more taller than the Ninja 650 and tad more upright compared to Ninja 650. I am 6 feet tall and was able to place both feet down on the bike with ease.

I was waiting for feedback of someone actually checking out the V650 in person. :thumbs up

From what you describe, looks like its dimensions are similar to V1000 as that bike looked HUGE when seen inside a showroom

Assuming you checked it out in detail...Can you please throw some more light on quality of materials and paint job? I think it's metallic grey and not jet-black? Is that right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sachin_Nair (Post 3889330)
I am a Ninja 650 owner so if anyone has tours which involve pillion then definitely Versys 650 would make lot of sense due to the 170 mm GC but climbing on the rear seat for the pillion would be a task for sure. Pillion might have to leverage the rear foot peg to hop on whereas on N650 that's not a problem.

Hmmm. This was also something I was worrying.

Rear seat seemed quite elevated in V1000 too and know would be a struggle for lady folks to climb on. So V650 seems no different !!!

Glad to know it has good presence. Can't wait for it to arrive in Hyderabad which will be around Friday/Saturday this week

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 3889365)
I was waiting for feedback of someone actually checking out the V650 in person. :thumbs up

From what you describe, looks like its dimensions are similar to V1000 as that bike looked HUGE when seen inside a showroom

Assuming you checked it out in detail...Can you please throw some more light on quality of materials and paint job? I think it's metallic grey and not jet-black? Is that right?

I have rode the Versys 1000 once for a short distance and Versys 650 looks like a slightly scaled down version of it. It's not as huge as V1000 but still has enough bulk to make it look huge.

The handle bar switches are same as Ninja 650 and quality overall is good. The side indicators are very fragile and in congested traffic pray that someone does not touch it. The number plate holder is below the windscreen so it kind of looks out of place and may take getting used to that look. Talking about the paint, Only the tank gets the glossy black finish and rest everything else is jet black / matte black.

Wish the centre stand came as standard equipment but unfortunately it is not offered with the bike.

I have been dreaming and praying that this bike was launched in India from 2014 and they decided that we Indians deserve only 1 color - BLACK. Honestly I felt that was a really stupid move (probably because my dreams were literally shattered- I have owned 2 blacks and am positive that I dont want another Black).

Still, I went to the Indiranagar Kawasaki showroom in Bangalore a few days back and the guy there was fully aware and educated about the bike, but he exhibited such arrogance as though he was doing me a great big favor because Kawasaski brought the bike to India. I was upset, but had no choice.
Left my phone and email id for them to call me when the bike arrives next week for display and Test Rides.

Quote:

Still, I went to the Indiranagar Kawasaki showroom in Bangalore a few days back and the guy there was fully aware and educated about the bike, but he exhibited such arrogance as though he was doing me a great big favor because Kawasaski brought the bike to India. I was upset, but had no choice.
Left my phone and email id for them to call me when the bike arrives next week for display and Test Rides.
I had written a grievance message on kawasaki website along with the link to this thread, mainly stating how pathetic the state of information cos of which many customers are considering other brands.
Last evening, i received a call from Kawasaki/bajaj. Bad timing, as i was in another official call, just managed to go to the corner and have a few works. Else, i wanted to crib a lot. The caller had a foreign accent and asked me a few details such as if i have booked, how much booking amount paid, which deader, etc. He said he was sorry and to expect a call from the dealer in 2-3 days time with all proper information. Else, i am to use the same channel and write back to them. I had forgotten about the writing to them but glad atleast they called.

Seems like Deliveries have started in Mumbai.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

(Mods: please merge the B2B post)

Thanks Haroon and Avi for your inputs. Versys definitely makes lot of sense and brings a smile looking at some of the reviews, videos and feedback you guys have been posting here. I sold my Harley to a fellow team BHPian today. All set to plunge into to this category of bikes and just waiting to see the bike in person before I make the booking. Hopefully Versys 650 will not disappoint when we see it in person on Saturday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dust_Harl (Post 3890628)
Thanks Haroon and Avi for your inputs. Versys definitely makes lot of sense and brings a smile looking at some of the reviews, videos and feedback you guys have been posting here. I sold my Harley to a fellow team BHPian today. All set to plunge into to this category of bikes and just waiting to see the bike in person before I make the booking. Hopefully Versys 650 will not disappoint when we see it in person on Saturday.

I am still in double mind whether to sell my Harley or not mainly due to the customizations I have done on it to suit me :-) Plus these are two different types of bikes and the plan as of now is to have my son use the other bike and we can keep changing the bikes during every rides. If for some reasons, I really ended up liking Versys a lot compared to my Harley, then I might.lol:

Quote:

All set to plunge into to this category of bikes and just waiting to see the bike in person before I make the booking. Hopefully Versys 650 will not disappoint when we see it in person on Saturday.
Personal thoughts: Versys is not a looker! What i mean is its not like a harley or bonnie which are very photogenic bikes with good mix of shiny paint and chrome trims & multiple exhausts. They also make the rider look good, esp with open helmets and aviators.
Versys seems more like a functional bike, doing its business nicely, without those bells and whistles. It may not draw as much attention as lets say an iron or a T100 visually or auditory. Not very high quotient on Poser value. This one is more like a no-nonsense go almost anywhere work horse. Although i would personally like to have those qualities, esp the audio part, i am willing to sacrifice a bit for the versatility and ride comfort.

My ideal garage in India would be a Versys 650/Tiger 800 and a Triumph Bonneville

Preferably the new street twin which apparently has been improved a lot over the already excellent bike

If above two adorn my garage ; I am set for life:D

First of all Hello to all the esteemed members of the forum (This is my first post). I have been following this thread from the first day as I was eagerly waiting for this bike since its global launch. One of the most affordable mid adventure tourer for tall guy like me (I am 6'4").
Like many, I too went to the Kawasaki Showroom at Indiranagar, Bangalore (on 26th
Dec) and came back utterly disappointed. Since then i have written many emails (including a email to India MD's secretary) and Tweets (which was re tweeted by Motoroids) about the pathetic customer experience at their showroom. Finally during last week I received a call from the Store manager Mr. Rahim who inquired about the issue. He apologized for the same and told me that contact him directly when I visit them next time.
Regarding the bike he said the on-road price is Rs.7.71 Lakh and the display bike is expected in 3rd week. Cant wait for the first look of it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gprajeesh (Post 3890687)
First of all Hello to all the esteemed members of the forum (This is my first post). I have been following this thread from the first day as I was eagerly waiting for this bike since its global launch. One of the most affordable mid adventure tourer for tall guy like me (I am 6'4").

Welcome to the forum and also for getting added to the "Long Queue" of folks waiting to see and preferably book the Versys 650.

For your height, it certainly makes sense to look at the Versys. Infact, I have a feeling you will feel right at home

Just for fun ; creating a list of members who have already booked the bike or are really keen to book it. Add your name to list ; if I missed it :)

1. Techfreak
2.vprabu
3.Nasirkaka
4. Mobike008
5.Dust_Harl
6. gprajeesh
7. Coplay

7 upcoming V650 ownership reports on forum. Not bad:D

Quote:

Regarding the bike he said the on-road price is Rs.7.71 Lakh and the display bike is expected in 3rd week.
I just received a message from same Showroom in Indiranagar stating the price as follows:
Ex showroom: 671058
Reg & Handling: 106020
On Road: 777078
(30+K Extra for living in Bangalore, where roads are like creators)

With some basic accessories and guards the price would come to around 9L. Not that big value for money!! :(