Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2017, 17:05   #16
BHPian

Re: Red Ducati Monster 821 - Initial ownership report

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
I seriously need to find someone with a DSLR who I could coerce into doing a photo shoot for my bike. Any readers of this thread, if interested, please give me a shout. In exchange of photography, I will let you come within 1 meter of the motorcycle. If photos turn out good then I might even allow a one time look at the motorcycle with the camera view finder out of your face.

Got to check out if Rudra Da (Rudra Sen) is in town these days. For him of course the proximity restrictions will be relaxed further.
Congratulations sen2009 & big Thank you. It was hilarious, funfilled and informative introduction to the purchasing experience, passion for riding and the urban riding experiences that you have shared. I dont log in despite being on tbhp forum almost throughout the day using alt+tab often but to reply to your post, I could not resist the temptation.

I will pm you regarding photography( only the DSLR part), if we can coordinate.
Ride Safe!
shatrughna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2017, 17:14   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatrughna View Post
Congratulations sen2009 & big Thank you. It was hilarious, funfilled and informative introduction to the purchasing experience, passion for riding and the urban riding experiences that you have shared. I dont log in despite being on tbhp forum almost throughout the day using alt+tab often but to reply to your post, I could not resist the temptation.

I will pm you regarding photography( only the DSLR part), if we can coordinate.
Ride Safe!
Thanks for your encouraging words. For me, the discussions here on this forum accounts for at least half of the fun that I get from the motorcycle.
I will get in touch via PM for the photography sessions.
Old 2nd February 2017, 14:52   #18
r.K
BHPian

Quote:
I seriously need to find someone with a DSLR who I could coerce into doing a photo shoot for my bike. Any readers of this thread, if interested, please give me a shout. In exchange of photography, I will let you come within 1 meter of the motorcycle. If photos turn out good then I might even allow a one time look at the motorcycle with the camera view finder out of your face.
Macha! Wonderful thread If you are in Bangalore, do tell me I will click some sooper pics of the monster!

Wishing you a blissful riding life! Cheers!
r.K is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 11:47   #19
BHPian

Went for a small photography session yesterday afternoon with Shatrughna Sir. I went and met him near his office in Thane, and then we rode to Upavan lake about 4 Kilometers away. Shatrughna sir carried his Sony Alpha DSLR and one kit lens.

Initially he took some shots of the bike from various angles. We thought of doing some good shots while the bike would be in motion. But people started to gather quickly and the triplers on bikes and scooters made it kind of difficult.

First up are a few shots of the front.

Red Ducati Monster 821 - Initial ownership report-front-1.jpg
Red Ducati Monster 821 - Initial ownership report-front-2.jpg
Red Ducati Monster 821 - Initial ownership report-front-3.jpg
Red Ducati Monster 821 - Initial ownership report-front-4.jpg
Red Ducati Monster 821 - Initial ownership report-front-5.jpg

Next a few from sides.

Red Ducati Monster 821 - Initial ownership report-side-1.jpg
Red Ducati Monster 821 - Initial ownership report-side-2.jpg
Red Ducati Monster 821 - Initial ownership report-side-3.jpg
Red Ducati Monster 821 - Initial ownership report-side-4.jpg
Red Ducati Monster 821 - Initial ownership report-all-thats-there.jpg

A top view.

Red Ducati Monster 821 - Initial ownership report-top.jpg

And a view with me on top.

Red Ducati Monster 821 - Initial ownership report-meontop-1.jpg

One from the rear. (Reader, please note that I have already been scolded about the hideous number plate. I have pledged to make it right after first service, I request your kind patience till then.)

Red Ducati Monster 821 - Initial ownership report-rear-1.jpg

After a few shots from around the bike, he shot a couple of riders perspective shots. In these photos, if you notice the mirror, you would understand what I was saying in my earlier post. Also note how the entire motorcycle simply vanishes from your view port when you are looking at the road ahead.

Red Ducati Monster 821 - Initial ownership report-notice-left-mirror.jpg

The console can be read in direct sunlight without any problem. But to see it, I have to move my eyes off from the road ahead and actually look down.

Red Ducati Monster 821 - Initial ownership report-direct-sunlight.jpg

I thought that we would have some space and a relatively empty road for shooting. But some college kids were there doing some sort of photography project of their own. They quickly gave up on the task at hand and focused their lenses and attention on us. A bunch of them came forward and requested an opportunity to pose with the bike. I couldn't say no looking at the gleaming eyes.
Red Ducati Monster 821 - Initial ownership report-boy-pose-1.jpeg
Red Ducati Monster 821 - Initial ownership report-boy-pose-2.jpeg

I would request him to please pen down a few words about the pillion seat. He rode about 10 KM in pretty dense and superbly interested city traffic.

While seated on the pillion he wasn't breathing at all. Later he said that he went totally awestruck and breathless observing me laying the fire down upon the congested city traffic. While he didn't say as much, but I could sense that he enjoyed my restrained and stoic riding manners, especially while punishing every 1,2,3 or 4 wheeler that ever dared to come out and overtake me or worse use their rightfully earned right of the way while I was dealing with another of their kind.

After the photo shoot I softly asked Shatrughna Sir if he would like to take a test ride, and he didn't make me think of something really urgent for which I had to push off urgently.He is indeed a very nice gentleman. My heartfelt thanks to him.
He just gave up 3 hours of a working day and spent time with me just because he loves the way I love this motorcycle. It will be hard to find a person like that outside of this community. Three cheers to Shatrughna Sir, a person every bit worthy of his Senior Bhpian tag.

Sir, I would love to catch up with you another day to do another shoot at Karnala Bird Sanctuary and also hear the stories of your journeys through the length and breadth of this country.
Red Ducati Monster 821 - Initial ownership report-looking-horizon.jpg
sen2009 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 9th February 2017, 11:57   #20
BHPian

Quote:

Sir, I would love to catch up with you another day to do another shoot at Karnala Bird Sanctuary and also hear the stories of your journeys through the length and breadth of this country.
I am extremely grateful to you for allowing me not only very close to your loved bike but also the privilege of riding on it. Pillion seat is quite high as it felt to me but gets comfortable within few minutes of being on it. We tried touring mode and even that was pretty manageable in traffic but as you said, Sport mode would be 'mental', I was trying to figure out how magical would that be .

View from pillion seat is also very clear. I was travelling out of station hence, could not reply earlier. Thanks for your kind words which are actually humbling. The location we chose, was very nice but unfortunately, we couldn't get the view properly in the shots given that I am an absolute noob at photography. Looking forward to a ride to Karnala to attempt few better shots. Any photography enthusiast is most welcome to join. Biker friends may request permission of sen2009 if they would be allowed to come close.
shatrughna is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2017, 22:20   #21
BHPian

A super bike acquisition in a middle class family is no small thing. It takes years of planning and support from family members. Family members do not generally object much during the leading years as nobody thinks about it much or consider it for real. Then when suddenly it starts taking shape in real world, they feel lost. At one hand they feel really worried for the sheer insanity of it, on the other hand they simply cannot resist the inception decades in action.

I am sure many readers of this section of team-bhp knows and experiences this.

I chanced upon a draft which was destined for a different blogosphere, intended for a very different audience. This is a perspective penned down by my sister, probably for her writing blogging circles consisting of not many automotive enthusiasts I believe. I have claimed it in the name of Team-bhp. I hope the reader will enjoy reading it, and possibly even benefit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A few weeks back, the topic of superbikes comes up and this listener’s eyes start to glaze over. She relives the million-plus not-heard bike rhapsodies and tunes out. Ears still prick up at keyword mentions of “sweet deal” and “very cheap”. On closer attention, it is discovered that Ducati bikes, hitherto fortunately prohibitively expensive, are now available in Mumbai in “affordable monthly EMIs”. Now listener is apprehensive and comes up with “approval needed from higher authorities” excuse aka “ask your wife” and feels moderately relieved to have lobbed the decision out of her domain. Her mind is full of thought blurbs such as, “It’s Expensive!”, “It could be dangerous”, “Will this reduce the incessant playing of bike videos in YouTube”, “But would the expense be worth the peace of ears”.

Later in the week, the finance minister is back home and she approaches the listener with eyes round and excitedly whispers, “Have you heard?” There’s no doubt at all about what’s being asked. They both are silent for a moment remembering the million monologues on the virtues of superbikes and the yearning sighs at the end. It’s unanimously agreed that the price seems reasonable enough, the dream a long-pending one and the last few years of starting the business has been brutal on all. So an semi-approval decision is reached but for the time being this is kept from the biker-man. Meanwhile every few minutes one can hear biker-man on phone with showroom guys and expert friends.

Very soon biker-man and wife makes a day trip to Mumbai to check out this one and another bike. After intentionally showing wifey the slightly inferior bike, quality debatable of course but helped in this by indifferent showroom folks, biker-man manages to impress wifey with the Ducati, this time with ample help from the showroom guys and one very strategic showroom gal. The couple returns home in the evening, suitably sunburned and one partner with a smile that splits his entire face. The listener has serious worries that the lips may get permanently stretched and dear brother may start looking like the Joker. The toddler is soon trained to rap on who-has-a-new-bike-dad-has-a-new-bike with suitable hand movements and squeals of laughter. The child faithfully starts a repeat-on-loop program and brings on serious youtube-ish deja-vu for the listener.

There is a few days lull while the loan is getting processed. On second thoughts, if informing every person in the office and housing complex, including watchmen, all male children above the age of 5, and a few fortunate dogs, about the new bike can be called a “lull”. Also let’s not forget the ever suffering folks from a multitude of Whatsapp groups, with the most obscure acquaintances getting the latest update. The countdown to delivery is feverish and all work is suspended till then. One intermediate visit to the warehouse happens to check if the new baby has all ten fingers and toes and other organs intact. Office folks are pleasantly surprised with the utter mellowness that descends on the boss.

At last the D-day arrives. Everyone at home is washed, polished and clothed suitably solemnly for the grand occasion. The family makes a procession like solemn entry into the high temple, aka the Ducati Showroom. A few pleasantries later, biker-man chooses an inordinately expensive jacket, costing more than the man’s entire year’s clothing budget. The listener foresees decades of expensive accessories shopping-filled future, but for once prudently keeps quiet. A cake is brought in and cut enthusiastically. The toddler starts singing happy-birthday and on the burst of ensuing laughter sulks with threat of tears imminent. However she is brought around fast with the chocolate cake. Many photos and some more wait after, the party splits into two groups. A maiden voyage is planned to the Nariman Point. A slightly thuggish looking biker-man, a huge jacket in a Mumbai afternoon with a humongous helmet obscuring the nerd glasses can do that, nervously starts ahead. The rest of the family follows in car, with the toddler playing spot-the-dad all the way. And thus begins a journey of thousand miles of many adventures and a million selfies. May the Ducati open up a treasure trove of delights for the very deserving and ever smiling biker-man.
sen2009 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 11th February 2017, 22:48   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

This post above by the sister, was the best I have read on this forum in a long, long time. Time to hand over a honorary membership.
Red Liner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2017, 23:50   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I chanced upon a draft which was destined for a different blogosphere, intended for a very different audience. I have claimed it in the name of Team-bhp. I hope the reader will enjoy reading it, and possibly even benefit.
Fantastic Sen
Man, you are a family of writers and super fun loving people.

+1 to Red Liner or do ask your sister to join the forum too

Take care, ride safe and keep up the absolutely fun stuff.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 00:11   #24
BHPian

Quote:
A super bike acquisition in a middle class family is no small thing. It takes years of planning and support from family members. Family members do not generally object much during the leading years as nobody thinks about it much or consider it for real. Then when suddenly it starts taking shape in real world, they feel lost. At one hand they feel really worried for the sheer insanity of it, on the other hand they simply cannot resist the inception decades in action.

I am sure many readers of this section of team-bhp knows and experiences this.

I chanced upon a draft which was destined for a different blogosphere, intended for a very different audience. This is a perspective penned down by my sister, probably for her writing blogging circles consisting of not many automotive enthusiasts I believe. I have claimed it in the name of Team-bhp. I hope the reader will enjoy reading it, and possibly even benefit.
I am from a middle class family too. Have been trying hard to convince my wife and family on the big bike purchase and everyone is opposing it. NO one is ready to listen that i need to buy the new Super bike, Infact even the CBR was kind of a fight. How did you do it bro? ANY Tips to share.
kailashnj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 14:19   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
Fantastic Sen
Man, you are a family of writers and super fun loving people.

+1 to Red Liner or do ask your sister to join the forum too

Take care, ride safe and keep up the absolutely fun stuff.

Cheers
Thanks man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
I am from a middle class family too. Have been trying hard to convince my wife and family on the big bike purchase and everyone is opposing it. NO one is ready to listen that i need to buy the new Super bike, Infact even the CBR was kind of a fight. How did you do it bro? ANY Tips to share.
Thanks bro. I have indeed drafted a post about this topic. Please read and see if it could work for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
This post above by the sister, was the best I have read on this forum in a long, long time. Time to hand over a honorary membership.
Thanks a lot for your kind words. It has been about 8 years since we last discussed your low key scorpio delivery and my boom bang safari delivery party. I am really happy to connect back here.

My sister knows nothing about vehicles. With great pain and persistence I taught her how to drive an automatic santro and she gave up in one month. She is not a fit here by any means.

I will convey your appreciation to her, she will be very happy.
Old 13th February 2017, 14:32   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kailashnj View Post
NO one is ready to listen that i need to buy the new Super bike,
Let them know you want a superbike. Nobody really needs one anyway
manson is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 14:36   #27
Senior - BHPian

Great write up Sen.. One question though -- did Ducati folks quote a higher price first and gave you the "discount" on bargaining??
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 15:12   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Thanks a lot for your kind words. It has been about 8 years since we last discussed your low key scorpio delivery and my boom bang safari delivery party. I am really happy to connect back here.

My sister knows nothing about vehicles. With great pain and persistence I taught her how to drive an automatic santro and she gave up in one month. She is not a fit here by any means.

I will convey your appreciation to her, she will be very happy.
I can't believe you remember!

The Versys was an even more subdued delivery experience. Went with one friend, got the bike, almost dropped it, got back home. No gift, no cake, no key chain even, no hoopla.

Sen, great to reconnect back again. There's some joy in recalling some of our early parenting days together
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 17:45   #29
Senior - BHPian

Congrats!!! It really is something to make dreams come true - esp. when they are about Motorcycles cause there are simply so many reasons to just let them be dreams.

And my dream had the exact same motorcycle with a white stripe running down its body work. Isn't that on offer now? Finally, I suggest you go about getting some good riding gear now esp. boots.

Happy riding!
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2017, 20:39   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R-Six View Post
Hats off to you for coming up with such innovative ideas to convince the family. Necessity is the mother of all inventions! Sometimes, those words feels so true.

I’m almost sailing in the same boat, albeit not for a super bike, but to plonk money to get a RE Continental GT. Endurance is the key here, with patience, trying to field all the questions and arguments that comes up from the concerned family members.
Thanks man and best wishes for your campaign. As you have noted correctly, endurance is the key. You have to wear your opponent down, and it works.
sen2009 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks