Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2017, 19:42   #1
BHPian

My Diablo Red Triumph Street Triple

I think, I might be late to share the review / experience as the new Street 2017 is on its way to India, but still.

Being the petrolhead that I am, my love for cars has always been there, But i always had a special love for superbikes, for a very simple reason - the experience that they give, no car can match. For 10% the cost of a car that would give you a similar experience of speed and exhilaration, you can get a superbike.

Like any other kid in India, superbikes were a dream. Being around in Delhi I was lucky enough to witness a few around 2007. Owning a superbike back then was tedious and expensive, as you had to import it, pay hefty taxes or get one without proper papers. It had its challenges and it seemed an option for the super-wealthy. After 2012, the Indian markets opened up for superbikes, All brands started to come in, financing and insurance became legit and things got easier for sure. Thus began a quest of finding a way to own one.

Things finally worked out in 2015, when I was able to get my hands on the pre-owned Triumph Daytona - a dream bike as it brought back memories of playing with a scale model in the childhood days. My excitement was at its peak - a dream had come true. I wanted to ride a bike everywhere and anytime, Daytona being a performance machine, it lacked nothing in the performance and handling departments, but soon it started to give some reality checks. It ran superbly on Sunday rides and on highways, but when traffic used to come in things got ugly, and the honeymoon period started to end. The bike was becoming unbearable in summers and in traffic. Being in Delhi, jams are inevitable. Soon I realised I was not cut out for superbike riding in traffic. Even with lesser engine heat compared to a 1,000 cc bike, I just gave up on the Daytona. I knew it would be difficult to live with a superbike in Delhi traffic moreover it was cruel for me physically, hands and legs would pain after a few short kms and the bike was suffering as well. I felt I would murder it. So with a heavy heart, I thought it would be better to give it up and look for an alternative with the limited options in my budget for a daily ride.

Bound to make a practical decision this time using the mind more than the heart, A few biking gurus I knew pointed me towards the Triumph showroom yet again, but street fighters were the target this time. So i steered away from the Daytona to a Speed triple, This black Speed Triple reminded me of Tom Cruise in MI2. I took a test drive and after a good spin on open streets and traffic I was blown away! It had superbike power, speed and presence with a practical stance and riding position. It was scary to open the throttle completely as it would try to pop a wheelie every now and then. The decision was made. This had to be it. But then, the price list was like a slap on the face. It was costing more than a new Daytona at the time.

Left the showroom working out a way to stretch my budget, as I wanted to stay under 10L bracket this time. A few months later a Z800 with a SC project was screaming its way on the other side of the road. It sounded like a F1 car of the 90s. Kawasaki got my attention with the Z800. After checking it out, it seemed like a sweet package, even the finance option was pretty cool. The only thing that let me down was the Kawasaki sales experience in Delhi. So I moved to Ducati - Monster 821 was not that impressive to me. It also had some heating issues in traffic. The 899 Panigale was such a poster bike - instant love. But the price tag made me sad again. Benelli 600i - the only thing I liked was the price and the exhaust note with the Ixil upgrade.

Finally, landed back again at Triumph. This time they made me smile. Offered a superb service and good deal, though the TD bike was busy that day. But I had some idea of how it rode as I had ridden it once for a short spin when I was looking for a Daytona, I remember i said "its like a Karizma with much more power.", It didn't throw any challenge to ride, riding position was easy, it did not make much noise either as I rode one without an arrow exhaust. Anyway negotiations happened, booking was made and goodies were promised. The Street Triple it was. I was not ecstatic about the decision initially. But it made sense. Some where in the back of my mind, Z800 on paper seemed a better bet with the power and looks, but then the weight and braking was a downside. Nevertheless the decision was made and I made peace with it. Few days later, I read about the stalling issues mention here on Team-BHP. In a panic state, I called the dealership and confirmed if this had been taken care of? I was assured few changed were made and the problem is rectified. But later I read that the power was reduced and the one I had test driven was the Euro-spec bike. I gasped for air as I realised that I was basically buying a bike with reduced power, which might change the feel of bike. After researching and speaking to a few gurus I was told that there was a hack for it and the power can be restored without stalling issues, which was a relief. Further a review from Powerdrift on Youtube, completely cleared any doubts about my decision. They compared the street triple with the Z800 on a Vbox. Both the bikes had similar 0-100 times, with the Street Triple having the advantage of less weight, better brakes and agility. Happy me!

So the day came. The Red Diablo - all shiny ready to go. I was handed the keys and off I went. This time I was on a Street Triple with an arrow and yes I could connect again with the bike with an open mind. Setting my hands on the bike, learning to ride better in traffic, I was enjoying my days. Snuggling up to ease of riding with some superbike power. This was it. What ever I had read, heard and understood was true. Its is an everyday superbike hands down!

Having the itch for modifications, the Journey begins
- Arrow exhaust
- Triumph Flyscreen
- Triumph Bellypan
- Puig Tail tidy
- Cyclops led head lamp bulbs
- Morimoto pilot lamps
- Triumph bar end mirrors
- K&N air filter
- Blockoff plate
- Manual Idler
- Intake modification
- Euro Spec arrow map.
- Evotech fork protectors
- Triumph paddok stand bobbins
- Brake light led flasher
- Hella spice tone horn.

Riding Gear-
-HJC RPHA 11 darter
-AGV K3
-Triumph all weather edition jacket with padding
-Triumph gloves
-TCX X roadster shoes.
-Riding jean with padding coming soon.

For 1st time buyers it's very easy to get the hang of it. Riding dynamics are same as other street bikes

It doesn't draw attention. But it's something you will live with and be happy.
Its nimble and agile, handles very well and corners are easy to take. It has a natural flow, anyone can take corners on it. It has adequate power and even with a pillion, you can touch high speeds with ease.

Daily Rider: I ride it daily with a mix of open roads and traffic - sometimes too much traffic. You can take it anywhere like a Pulsar / KTM. The clutch is lighter compared to other bikes big bikes. The bike has a dual nature, where it can be a commuter as well as a weekend fast ride. Heat from the engine does not burn you legs too much.

Brakes: Butter! A gentle dab gets it stopping.The ABS works very well. The bike doesn't lose control under extreme situations. Already had a few close calls like people jumping on the highway and running across without looking. Car drivers just swerving without notice.

Tall first gear: It goes all the way till 120 giving it, giving it quick and long acceleration. Helps you set the pace real quick.

Signature sound: The engine has the distinctive whine (whistle). With an Arrow it's not mute nor deafening. Long rides are easy on the ears. Though I shall be changing to a louder pipe, as loud pipes save lives.

Comfort: Done approximately 300 kms in a stretch. The bike is a bit stiff in bumps or on broken roads. The rear suspension is adjustable, but the front isn't. On the upside, it doesn't dive too much under heavy braking. No need to sacrifice your arms and legs due to heat, seating position or weight of the bike. The seat is well balanced doesn't hurt at all on long rides. And you also get a softer seat option as an accessory.

Ergonomics: All switches pretty much standard, and easy to access. But the all time 'ON' headlights are a bit annoying and there's no way to switch them off. It does have an option to keep the parking lights on without the key being on the bike and handle locked.

Handling: You can ride at high speeds with the advantage that it is very forgiving specially in the corners. In case you make a mistake, it comes under control easily unlike some liter-class bikes. Thanks less weight and responsive brakes.

Dislikes-

The size of it: I find it a bit smaller when compared to competition. Might scrape its exhaust on big speed breakers with a pillion over 80 kg.

Engine: Won't feel as smooth as a 4-cylinder bike for sure as well. But then, the power to weight ratio and the ease of riding it makes up for it.

Wind blast after 180 kms: You will need a bigger fly screen or need to duck down a lot to avoid the wind blast. But then, again, it's a street bike.

Sensitivity to the dust: The throttle bodies need regular cleaning else stalling will start, until you bypass it with a manual idler.

Mileage :- Realistically, 16-17 km/l in mixed riding conditions. General upshifts 5,000-6,000 rpm on every shift and a high-speed run on the weekends, Though some people get over 22-25 km/l also.

Service :-
Delhi has 2 service centers and the new one opened in Okhla has a better service experience than the one in Gurgaon. Regular service costs around Rs. 6,000-7,000. Cost of parts is on the higher side than regular bikes of course. 2 years a warranty is standard. Triumph also give road side assistance.

Verdict:-
After 2,500 kms, of all sorts of riding experience, don't know whether it was destiny or it was meant to be. But this turned to be the best decision for my needs right now. Yes, a bigger bike may be better on power and more thrilling, but I am dead sure nothing would be this easy and comfortable with a dual character. I have spent time riding a Triumph Daytona, Yamaha R1, Honda CBR, Suzuki Hayabusa and Kawasaki. It would be wrong to say it gives the exact same experience, but it can definitely give you a similar experience. The only reason why one would upgrade will be more power or the oomph of a supersport. In the street fighter series, the only thing that would excite me more would be a Speed Triple.

This is not a POSTER bike for sure. Its a sensible, practical machine. The balance between a street and sports bike is clear. It keeps up with the liter-class boys most of the time. What impresses me the most is the dual character of the bike. You can keep it under 5000 rpm as it rides like a regular commuter. Take it above 6000 rpm and find yourself hooning!. And the brakes have saved me few times in the unpredictable Indian conditions when people just run to cross the road, or the car in-front just turns without signaling. It copes well with all sorts of conditions. This one for me is a keeper, I am sure the new one will be even more mind blowing is its class, But it's said to be more expensive than the current and the last of its kind which no electronic aids. There are some very good deals going on right now if anyone wants to grab the last few.

Before buying any superbike, do invest in high quality gear. High-end helmets really ease out the ride with reduced wind noise which helps to change the feel of the bike and makes them less scary. I have seen people avoiding spending on a helmet even with these big bikes. Jackets and shoes also help a lot in the riding experience as the wind you feel more confident and secure while riding. High quality safety gear should be a must.

Here are some pictures. I am sure everyone has seen hi-res pictures. These are some of my experiences till now.
Attached Thumbnails
My Diablo Red Triumph Street Triple-11880599_10153603936342774_1278655103099485832_n.jpg  

My Diablo Red Triumph Street Triple-14915634_10154769112962774_407474494529995691_n.jpg  

My Diablo Red Triumph Street Triple-15055728_10154754282507774_641601217290762859_n.jpg  

My Diablo Red Triumph Street Triple-15085734_10154754274842774_2149859276986747922_n.jpg  

My Diablo Red Triumph Street Triple-15095610_10154754273112774_5242289356337055357_n.jpg  

My Diablo Red Triumph Street Triple-15134771_10154754282582774_4838458539713260321_n.jpg  

My Diablo Red Triumph Street Triple-15170917_10154754275152774_7008246235295493922_n.jpg  

My Diablo Red Triumph Street Triple-15171218_10154776726857774_5176829359035734330_n.jpg  

My Diablo Red Triumph Street Triple-15171304_10154768333457774_1102934404815134435_n.jpg  

My Diablo Red Triumph Street Triple-15193697_10154776726937774_4291014032451900954_n.jpg  

My Diablo Red Triumph Street Triple-16387247_10155013189737774_7120122536159634349_n.jpg  

My Diablo Red Triumph Street Triple-16406876_10155013189617774_1485319886122887723_n.jpg  

My Diablo Red Triumph Street Triple-16473366_10155013189527774_505872820949200535_n.jpg  

My Diablo Red Triumph Street Triple-16508977_10155013188697774_1096046350231576921_n.jpg  

My Diablo Red Triumph Street Triple-16711903_10155033986242774_3438709744544214497_n.jpg  

My Diablo Red Triumph Street Triple-16265478_10154967562342774_2573113032074710145_n.jpg  

My Diablo Red Triumph Street Triple-16265335_10154967562362774_327134600600312844_n.jpg  

My Diablo Red Triumph Street Triple-16864090_10154779089825622_3306326003099932525_n.jpg  

My Diablo Red Triumph Street Triple-16864347_10154779089810622_6499051495330549560_n.jpg  

Last edited by Aditya : 14th March 2017 at 08:40. Reason: Spacing, formatting
noidaboy is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 08:43   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: My Diablo Red Triumph Street Triple

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line to Superbikes & Imports. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 11:48   #3
BHPian

Congratulations Noidaboy on a fantastic machine and thanks for sharing the write-up albeit a bit delayed The red looks lovely and the black/red combo with the flyscreen makes it look better.

It's interesting to see someone come from the Daytona to the Street triple - all I can say you will grow to love your decision even more over time. Inspite of all the issues that has surrounded this bike from the start. The practical reasons you mention were the exact same set of reasons for me to buy the Street Triple as well back in 2014. If you are the kind who rides everywhere and still like your bike to handle beautifully without breaking your back then nothing beats modern nakeds, especially the street triple. Mine has done close to 30K kms now in commutes, highway rides, twisties and what not. And guess what, it is a blast on the track as well and can easily keep up with litre boys.
I see you have the manual idler and block off plates. How much of a difference has that done? I haven't seriously experienced stalling on mine except once and hence haven't gone for this mod. I did move from the Arrow to the SC Project GP M2 almost an year ago and this one is super loud and you can't do long rides without ear plugs.. It's nice on the track but I am debating whether i should move back to Arrows since I use it in the city a lot. Here's a pic of my streetie enjoying itself at MMRT.
My Diablo Red Triumph Street Triple-css1.jpg

Do keep the thread updated and ride safe!

PS: I assume you are already on the India street triple Whatsapp group?

Last edited by niranjanrvce : 14th March 2017 at 11:51. Reason: Typo
niranjanrvce is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2017, 16:50   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by niranjanrvce View Post
Congratulations Noidaboy on a fantastic machine and thanks for sharing the write-up albeit a bit delayed The red looks lovely and the black/red combo with the flyscreen makes it look better.

I see you have the manual idler and block off plates. How much of a difference has that done? I haven't seriously experienced stalling on mine except once and hence haven't gone for this mod. I did move from the Arrow to the SC Project GP M2 almost an year ago and this one is super loud and you can't do long rides without ear plugs.. It's nice on the track but I am debating whether i should move back to Arrows since I use it in the city a lot. Here's a pic of my streetie enjoying itself at MMRT.
Attachment 1618591

Do keep the thread updated and ride safe!

PS: I assume you are already on the India street triple Whatsapp group?
Great to see you having to have similar opinion of the bike, True its been bashed quite badly during the fiasco. But it was a small fix don't know why it was a such a big issue.

I just sold my arrow and moving on sc conic soon, lets see how that journey goes.

Yes i am on ST3 india group if we are talking about the same one.

As for the difference i really cant comment on exactly how much did the blockoff plate alone made a difference because i did it all together. But yes moving from Indian to EURO map made a massive difference. Made the bike happier indeed.
noidaboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 00:52   #5
BHPian

Upgraded the Exhaust to Sc project Conic from an Arrow, Thou i was frowned upon for doing so, but was finding the arrow mellow even without baffle. Compared the Sc Project with the Scorpion before buying. The Scorpion was nice and bassy but it lacked the high quality feel as well as the fitting was short and it was ending under the rear brake pedal, which was not comfortable for me as there was heat considerations and as well as chances of scraping over a bump held me back.

Sc project was the right fit for the pricing. Loving the looks and the sound, it has a signature tone which i really like, specially with the baffle. Its loud but not deafening. I. Could feel the performance gains. Bike has definitely gotten marginally quicker.

Happy me!
Here is a short video without baffle, you can get the signature tone, but its very loud without baffle and it get louder in gear. So baffle on for me.

Last edited by noidaboy : 18th April 2017 at 01:06.
noidaboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2017, 21:52   #6
Team-BHP Support

My Diablo Red Triumph Street Triple

Hi there. Not sure if this is the right thread but had a Quick question. Radiator grill for street triple 765 - yay or nay? Also, any particular brand? Thanks

Last edited by Axe77 : 25th August 2017 at 21:56.
Old 28th August 2017, 12:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

How are those bar-end mirrors holding up? I have the same on my 2012 Speed Triple for a couple months now, they've become loose multiple times and today the left one just came loose completely. So I just switched it back to the original mirrors today.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks