Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2017, 16:09   #1
BHPian

Where in the world is the BMW F800GS?

With the recent launch of the BMW Mottorad stores in some of the cities across the country, I was super happy and eagerly waiting for the launch lineup. Unfortunately, almost every other bike than the 800GS made it and I can't even begin to vent about how sad that made me.

Having ridden the bike a few times now, it's probably the most practical GS out there for all our touring needs. Makes for a pretty sweet city bike too. The 1200 in my opinion is a great bike with an great Indian pricing. But it's too bulky for everyday use. The 800 Hits the sweet spot of performance and pricing internationally and I can't for the life of me understand why they wouldn't launch it here?

Tried speaking to some of the Motorrad stores. They are equally clueless and don't have any idea on any launch dates or anything.

Any insights?
Does anyone know if it's coming? Should I hold out? Or just give in and find an alternative?

P.s: I've waited for about 6 years now. But I am honestly fed up.
sharkbait is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st October 2017, 21:05   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Where in the world is the BMW F800GS?

I agree. I also think it'll be the perfect product to take the fight closer to the Tiger XRX 800.
Axe77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2017, 04:57   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

All 800cc and sub class have to be assembled in india and cannot be fully imported. This is to protect the domestic manufacturers. Therefore importer needs an assembly plant, which BMW does not possess at the moment.

Long story short, unless they have TVS assemble these bikes (which they should!!!) these bikes wont be here in india.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2017, 18:53   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

BMW is doing away with F800GS and introducing an all new engine upping the capacity by 50cc and will also get the popular 270 degrees firing order which is supposed to be more torquey than the traditional 360 degree firing

I think it is set to be launched later this year or early next year

All said and done. GS1200 is the flagship model of the brand and they did a good job by introducing that here. But, what they need to do is expand to more cities and provide a reasonable priced service structure

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/n...f800gs-f850gs/

Personally, If i am buying a BMW. Will I get the F800GS/850? Nah! I think will stick to the legendary 1200GS A
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2017, 08:12   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
unless they have TVS assemble these bikes (which they should!!!) these bikes wont be here in india.
They already have the tie up. No idea why they can't action it. It's just a really bad strategy for them not to do it.

Regarding the 1200GSA, as much as I love that bike, I shudder with the thought of using it as a daily commute vehicle. Imagine being in one of Mum or Bangalore's oh so frequent jams with that beast. The 800 is perfect. Sufficient power and torque to keep your short and long touring needs super contended.

I've read a lot of conflicting info on the 850gs / 900gs / 750gs etc. Whatever they decide to do with the engine cubic capacity and the firing index, I am still hopeful that the bike that started it all for me ends up on Indian shores soon enough.
Old 3rd October 2017, 11:41   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbait View Post
Regarding the 1200GSA, as much as I love that bike, I shudder with the thought of using it as a daily commute vehicle.
Absolutely. In fact, if I was given a choice between an 800 and a 1200 with the affordability to buy any, I would pick the 800 every time. Give me a choice between the Tiger 800 and the Tiger Explorer, and it's the 800 every time.

I would in fact pick the new Triumph Scrambler over all of these considering actual and not presumed usage. It's very nice to see Scramblers make a comeback as I really think that these make a lot of sense as all round bikes.

ranjitnair77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2017, 14:21   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding the 1200GSA, as much as I love that bike, I shudder with the thought of using it as a daily commute vehicle. Imagine being in one of Mum or Bangalore's oh so frequent jams with that beast
1200GSA is a long distance touring and off-road bike. Why in the world will you buy it for a city commute?

I am assuming someone who can afford to buy that can also afford to bike a smaller capacity bike for city commutes.

Quote:
The 800 is perfect. Sufficient power and torque to keep your short and long touring needs super contended
Why is 800 perfect for city commutes? I ride a 650cc bike and I feel that is all the power you will ever need in a country like ours. It has great comfort, sufficient power to overtake anything on road and easy to ride in the city too. According to me, any more power is an overkill on our roads

Wait....someone will come and counter me that why 650cc even a 390cc or even smaller engine is also enough for city commutes

Bottom-line, there is no hard and fast rule for anything. Somethings work for one might not for another.

Like a GS1200 might be hard for you to manage in city traffic could be easier for others even if such usage of it defies the very logic of it's existence
mobike008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2017, 08:26   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
1200GSA is a long distance touring and off-road bike. Why in the world will you buy it for a city commute?

I am assuming someone who can afford to buy that can also afford to bike a smaller capacity bike for city commutes.

Why is 800 perfect for city commutes?
I wouldn't buy it for city commute was my point. I already own a couple of smaller cubic capacity bikes which I don't use simultaneously at all. While I agree, there is always the right tool for the trade, when it comes to motorbikes, I would rather pick just one multipurpose tool for everything.

Therein lies the 800gs.
Absolutely nothing wrong with the 1200gsa but it's definitely not something I'd pick for myself.

Back to my first rant at BMW. They have everything setup already to launch the 800. It's just painful to know that they aren't working towards it actively. And if they are, they need to share info ASAP cause there are a few of us who would benefit from that info.

Having ridden the 800 kinda extensively overseas, I know what a perfect commute and long distance bike it is. Its got the right stance, enough juice, bells and whistles to cater to your every need. Not once did I feel like it's underpowered or difficult to manoeuvre when I was riding it around. I am a tall rider. For me, it's the ideal bike. I've also ridden the 1200 and cringed at its useability when we've hit city roads on the rides. Having said that, I am sure it's the right bike for someone else. Affordability aside.

Anyways here's hoping the BMW guys are browsing this thread and sending out feelers internally about the angst and hopefully they start working actively towards launching a motorcycle that would make atleast a few of us extremely happy.

Last edited by mobike008 : 5th October 2017 at 11:36. Reason: corrected the quote brackets
Old 5th October 2017, 11:30   #9
BHPian

As much as I love the 800GS, I had always wondered why do they have the fuel tank at the rear end of the bike? With a pillion, luggage and a full tank of a fuel, won't the weight make the front end feel unstable?
Old 31st October 2017, 14:32   #10
BHPian

Been keeping a close eye on the BMW news sites and here's something they put out ahead of EICMA 2017

This video shows a host of new bikes they are planning on launching/showcasing at the event. I am not too sure on any further info, but I am certainly hoping the F850 GS is one of them and that they can FINALLY import it to our shoes and sell it here. Fingers crossed. Quite a well made promo IMO. Really well cut.

They followed it up with a 15s

Again showing some silhouette's of different bikes they are launching I guess.
Thoughts?? Anyone with any more info?

Edit: Just found a news article in the Financial Express indicating just this
http://www.financialexpress.com/auto...emiers/913617/

Woohoo
Things heating up. Indian BMW guys, please get with the program and bring the bikes down already.

Last edited by sharkbait : 31st October 2017 at 14:35. Reason: Added like to news website.
Old 5th November 2017, 12:21   #11
BHPian

This will be over 800 so should come pretty quickly via Thailand... and the new tigers also to be introduced.
Old 5th November 2017, 14:11   #12
BHPian

Another day, another teaser.

Caught some screen grabs from the video. They are being cheeky and not showing us the 800+. Only signs of the 310GS and the 1200.
Attached Thumbnails
Where in the world is the BMW F800GS?-screenshot_20171105140408.jpg  

Where in the world is the BMW F800GS?-screenshot_20171105140506.jpg  

Where in the world is the BMW F800GS?-screenshot_20171105140453.jpg  

Where in the world is the BMW F800GS?-screenshot_20171105140354.jpg  

Where in the world is the BMW F800GS?-screenshot_20171105140333.jpg  

Where in the world is the BMW F800GS?-screenshot_20171105140319.jpg  

sharkbait is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 16:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

http://overdrive.in/news-cars-auto/e...aunch-in-2018/

Quote:
BMW Motorrad is seriously considering bringing the BMW F750GS and F850GS for India. The BMW F750GS and BMW F850GS have been unveiled at the EICMA 2017 and could be on their way to India in 2018, if the idea is given a green signal. BMW Motorrad intends to bring these two motorcycles to the country via the CBU route from Munich, Germany. However, BMW Motorrad will ensure good pricing for the F750GS and F850GS when they are launched in India, just as they did with the flagship adventure model, BMW R1200GS, earlier. The mid-segment adventure motorcycles from BMW Motorrad have been completely redesigned, the company claims. While the the F750GS is designed for who want to experience a an all-round travel enduro in combination with a low seat height, the F850GS features a more touring-friendly personality with enhanced off-road ability.
Quote:
The F750GS and F850GS come powered by the same 853cc parallel twin-cylinder engine with a 270-degree firing order, which produces 78PS / 83Nm on the 750, and 96PS / 92Nm on the 850. The engine is housed within a steel bridge monocoque frame. The motorcycles feature ABS, stability control and Rain / Road riding modes as standard. The two models also feature a 6.5-inch full-colour TFT display.
Nilesh5417 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2017, 20:05   #14
BHPian

Finally some quality info
https://www.rushlane.com/bmw-f750gs-...-12254725.html

Come on BMW.
Balls in your court now.
Release dates, price, preorders?
Old 7th November 2017, 23:07   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is a brief overview of the F850 GS. Looks great and has all the electronics of its big brother

mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks