Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2017, 18:06   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

2018 Yamaha R1 launched @ 20.73 lakhs

Quote:
Making its way to India quickly after its global debut at the Tokyo Motor Show, India Yamaha Motor has launched the 2018 Yamaha YZF-R1 in the country. The flagship offering from the Japanese giant is priced at ₹ 20.73 lakh (ex-showroom, Delhi) and sports a host of cosmetic upgrades along with new feature and tech improvements. Much like the previous version, the 2018 R1 continues to arrive in the country as a Completely Built Unit (CBU) and will be available in two colours - Tech Black and Yamaha Blue.

Visually, the 2018 Yamaha YZF-R1 does not any major changes and continues largely with the same design language with the M1 inspired front sporting the LED DRLs and headlamp. The new colours do add a refreshing touch though. Under the fairing, the same 998 cc cross-plane, four-cylinder, four-valve engine continues to serve purpose. The engine has been derived from the YZR-M1 MotoGP bike and is tuned to belt out 197 bhp, which can be improved with the ram pressurisation. The chassis remains the same as well sporting a long swingarm, magnesium rear frame and magnesium wheels.

Coming to upgrades, the 2018 Yamaha R1 sports a new Quick Shift System (QSS), which offers quicker changes through the gears without using the clutch. There is also the new lift control system which uses the 6-axis ECU to calibrate adequate power delivery to the rear in order to avoid unintentional wheelies. The 2018 R1 comes with a kerb weight of 199 kg, which gives it a fantastic power-to-weight ratio

Source: https://auto.ndtv.com/news/2018-yama...3-lakh-1783875
Attached Thumbnails
2018 Yamaha R1 launched @ 20.73 lakhs-2018yamahayzfr1_827x510_51512472567.jpg  

2018 Yamaha R1 launched @ 20.73 lakhs-2018yamahayzfr1techblack_827x510_51512472602.jpg  

Last edited by AtheK : 5th December 2017 at 18:14.
AtheK is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 11:52   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 2018 Yamaha R1 launched @ 20.73 lakhs

I have a huge soft spot for the R1 & R6 as I came *this close* to buying an R6 in the early days of Team-BHP (thanks to beloved Moderator Rtech).

I still think it's the best looking Superbike out there. But doesn't the price tag make it obscenely overpriced? This is like 23 - 24 lakhs on the road .
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 12:16   #3
BHPian

It looks great but not worth spending > 20L. Power to weight ratio will be quite impressive as kerb weight is less than 200 kg.
roby_dk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 12:22   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I have a huge soft spot for the R1 & R6 as I came *this close* to buying an R6 in the early days of Team-BHP (thanks to beloved Moderator Rtech).

I still think it's the best looking Superbike out there. But doesn't the price tag make it obscenely overpriced? This is like 23 - 24 lakhs on the road .
I absolutely hate the looks. Those eyes are totally weird and the bike feels soulless in pursuit of numbers. But, the pricing is rather middleground bordering on high - but not obscenely overpriced or anything. Here are some competition figures -

Suzuki GSX-R1000 - 19L ex showroom.
Suzuki GSX-R1000R - Rs. 22 lakh ex showroom.

Kawasaki ZX10R - Rs 18.8L ex
Kawasaki ZX-10RR - Rs 21.9L ex.

Honda CBR 1000RR Fireblade - Rs 16.79L ex.
Honda CBR 1000RR SP - Rs 21.22L ex.

Bikes like the Ninja 1000 costs way less, but that's another segment altogether and cannot be compared to this category of pure trackbred litre class machines. I wouldn't buy the Yamaha though because they are not interested to sell - and just wants these products in the websites for flagship presence to sell the smaller bikes and scooters.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 6th December 2017 at 12:26.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 13:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Most superbikes in India are. The same bike in the US is 17K USD approximately some 10.8L. We end up paying over 2x the actual price of the bike.

Yamaha basically do not want to sell any superbikes to every other person. They want to sell this bike to someone who wants the bike and is not searching for comparative bikes based on budget.

I love the R1's. Pure machines and this version is loaded with tech as well.

I doubt in India we have mechanics who can work on this bike and that alone will put me off. But rest assured the same bike will hit the used market at 16-17L in a years time based on history of buyers of this bike.
VW2010 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 14:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
They want to sell this bike to someone who wants the bike and is not searching for comparative bikes based on budget.

But rest assured the same bike will hit the used market at 16-17L in a years time based on history of buyers of this bike.
I have my doubts about both - they just don't want to sell and there are no buyers out there for them. There are really no R1 / R6 for sale if you check OLX or other classifieds. None built in last 2-3years actually and same goes for MT-09. You will probably only find an odd FZ1 at most but that doesn't even get the ABS AFAIK. With the bike itself, they seem to keep pushing the envelope each year tho!
Nilesh5417 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 15:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have my doubts about both - they just don't want to sell and there are no buyers out there for them. There are really no R1 / R6 for sale if you check OLX or other classifieds. None built in last 2-3years actually and same goes for MT-09
MT-09 was a disaster for Yamaha. They priced it close to their outgoing FZ1 which was basically R1 in a street fit. Yamaha pricing of R3 itself shows either greed or lack of interest above 250cc in Indian market. I find Yamaha wanting to concentrate only on mass selling segment.

Their Fz16 by all means is a baby FZ1 at 10% of its performance as well

I have seen 2016 R1 for sale in Banglore. A red one, and a black one in Pune. It may sell 1 in 2018
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 19:03   #8
BHPian

I think this price brings it right in the middle of the competition. Earlier it was too overpriced.

I think the USP of this R1 is its uncompromising approach to a Litre Class bike. Butter Smooth engine and Nearly the best implementation of Electronics yet.

Of all the reviews I have seen, many consistently say that most bike's electronics try to make you safe and hence maybe slow. R1 electronics helps you go fast and help you look like a dope while doing it. But on the practicality aspects it is one of the worse machines with a very aggressive riding position and possibly the worst fuel consumption (Range) from the lot.

But I still quite dig this bike. I mean, I mostly ride on weekends and something that gives me that thrill and excitement will keep me very happy. Also, I want the bike to be demanding so that after the 100 KMs weekend ride, I am done and satisfied and want to go home. If only Yamaha had a half decent service support available for these. I have heard, Yamaha is not doing very great with after sales. I am quite pampered by Honda in this respect.

Alas, I might never be able to buy anything apart from a Honda in these segments after experiencing their after sales.

I wish I had bought some bitcoins 4 years back.

CHEERS!!

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 19:16   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
I am quite pampered by Honda in this respect.

Alas, I might never be able to buy anything apart from a Honda in these segments after experiencing their after sales.
Speaking of Honda - I noticed today on the website that the Fireblade can be bought and serviced only in Delhi and Mumbai. Is that so? Even the Goldwing press release mentioned this.

With the reviews the new Fireblade received - it is certainly the most VFM option around in this segment. Perhaps a bit soulless compared to the GSX though.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 6th December 2017 at 19:18.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2017, 22:09   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Speaking of Honda - I noticed today on the website that the Fireblade can be bought and serviced only in Delhi and Mumbai. Is that so? Even the Goldwing press release mentioned this.

With the reviews the new Fireblade received - it is certainly the most VFM option around in this segment. Perhaps a bit soulless compared to the GSX though.
The Wing world service centers are available in Delhi and Mumbai only. But technicians travel all over to service the bikes. I think the entire country is distributed within these 2 Wings Service Centers. I think they try to combine 2-3 customers and then visit the city.

Rachit
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 07:59   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Gosh! Yamaha seems to have fired their design team as the R1 looks hasn't changed from quite some time and looks absolutely dated and pale in comparison to current bred of super-bikes !

We all grew up with at least one R1 poster in our bedroom (apart from a green zz1400 & black busa) so in that aspects it is a legend but I doubt it will find a lot of buyers as competition has really upped their game with respect to contemporary design themes, eye popping electronics and a juicy price tag

My guess is it will struggle to touch double digit sales at a pan-india level
mobike008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 10:22   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My guess is it will struggle to touch double digit sales at a pan-india level
Wishful thinking. I feel it will struggle to hit single digit sale . But having said that if i have the 25L to burn for hand warming in hot summer day in chennai, i would pick the R1 over all other offerings.

Afterall it is "the" bike in yamaha suckers dictionary and i am a big one right from the days of Rx100.

Quote:
R1 looks hasn't changed from quite some time
The 2015/2016 model was IMHO the best bike i have ever sat on. It felt so light and nimble just at the saddle. The R6 felt bigger to an extent. And to think that this is 200bhp and runs like a cheetah with fire lit on its rear is a different feeling.

The electronics package is better than eye popping. Yamaha somehow cares hoots to advertise what the bike offers.

"Traction Control (TCS) and Slide Control System (SCS), antiwheelie Lift Control System (LIF), linked antilock brakes, Launch Control System (LCS), Quick Shift System (QSS), and selectable power modes"

The Slide control system is first of a kind on production motorcycles. And then there is R1M

Last edited by VW2010 : 7th December 2017 at 10:30.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 11:20   #13
BHPian

Finally they get the pricing to match (somewhat) that of the other litre bikes in the market. Had the R1 been as deliciously priced as the 10R when I was out shopping I would have shut my eyes and got the Yamaha considering I needed the bike purely for track duty.

But alas, Yamaha India has never been enthusiastic about selling big bikes in India and I dont blame them for it, eventually the P&L runs on the commuters and not single-digit-sale big bikes. Consequently, one cannot blame the dealers for their lack of interest in providing spares and service backup.

I still think they can give the Daytona a run for the money with their R6 considering that it will be way more affordable than the litres and none of the other japs have their 600s here as yet.

Last edited by navin : 8th December 2017 at 15:38. Reason: please avoid using short forms (Yam, Enthu, etc)
Old 7th December 2017, 11:25   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I still think they can give the Daytona a run for the money with their R6 considering that it will be way more affordable than the litres and none of the other japs have their 600s here as yet.
The day R6 comes into Indian Market is the day i reckon India is moving forward.(Smiles sheepishly knowing there is no absolutely connection but more of wishful thinking)

R6 - Is a beauty. 17-20K RPM of that engine is a delight in every gear
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2017, 13:26   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Until Yamaha, Suzuki and Honda invest in test ride bikes for their litre class offerings, we are sadly limited to reading reviews and first ride reports on their wonderful motorcycles. I will tip my hat to Kawasaki on this front, though they have taken a lot of time to start getting their act together, they do have a test ride bike for the 10R in Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Speaking of Honda - I noticed today on the website that the Fireblade can be bought and serviced only in Delhi and Mumbai. Is that so? Even the Goldwing press release mentioned this. .
You can buy it in other states as well. I had enquired at the EVM dealership in Cochin a few months ago and they sent the pricing of Rs 20.95 L ex showroom which translated to Rs 25.72 L on road in Kerala. The SP1 version was Rs 31.46 L on road.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks