Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2017, 15:58   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Review: Ducati Multistrada 950

Congrats on the bike sir. Was missing a Multistrada review on the forum for a long time.

Have been a huge fan of the 1200S but always thought that it was priced on the higher side. The 950 IMHO is great value for money.

False neutrals are a signature ducati feature IIRC. But do get the oil changed as soon as possible. I won't go with ducati's ambitious claims of 15K km services. This is India not Italy.

Enjoy the bike

Regards,
Vishy
vishy76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 16:25   #17
BHPian

Congrats on the Ducati Sir.....
Just love the picture with the veggies in the top box
Endless.... is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2017, 18:35   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDestiny View Post
Congratulations Wanderlust!!
Thats a great review. The motorcycle looks awesome and good see that you are keeping the better half entertained too (including the veggie shopping).
Have fun ride safe. Hope you join you some time for a short break.
Thanks DieselDestiny, you have been busy! Lets go this weekend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Congrats bro. Good to see a versys touring with you.

I recommend changing the oil asap and not wait for 5k kms. Drain that oil out and put good fresh oil in there with a new filter. What does ducati recommend? I think its shell advance ultra 10w40. I use this on my versys too, fantastic oil as recommended by a well experienced friend.

Hope to see you on the road some day. Ride safe
Thanks RedLiner, I have got the oil changed once at 1K kms, per Ducati recommendation, and it is much smoother since then, but still some way to go. Next is at 15K. Hope to see you on the road too, need to munch more miles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami69 View Post
Congratulations on your Ride. But, we expect a lot more photographs of the bike

swami
Yessir, hopefully this weekend, I will give it some polish and take some pics to post. I am hoping I can do some justice to the drop dead gorgeous looks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Congrats Wanderlust!
Another bike which I was following closely . The looks!

The "urban package" description - man! thought you were joking till I saw the pix.
Thanks jkdas. Its a great bike, definitely. Quit following and join the cult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishnuk View Post
Congrats on the bike Its a great choice for touring

For the road debris problem, have you tried the 'Rear Splash Guard'. It doesn't resolve the issue completely, but reduces it quite a bit. It covers the area on the rear tyre, right below the number plate.

Its available as an accessory for Multistrada 1200, haven't seen it on a 950 yet.
Thanks Vishnu, the rear splash guard is there for the 1200, not for the 950. Need to check after-market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveller Nayak View Post
Congratulations! This one is a candid write-up with candid pictures (the one with vegetables makes a great shot ). There seems to be a Versys in your friend circle. I am keen to know if you have had a chance to ride the Versys after you bought your bike? And, your perspective on both - particularly on highway riding. Ride safe.
Thanks Nayakmam, , unfortunately, we have been too protective of our rides and I didnt get a change to ride his Versys. Next time for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajaghuru View Post
This is just how, an honest Multistrada review, ought to be! Very well done on covering the practical minutiae, which sometimes other reviews tend to miss, in the euphoria of owning a new motorcycle.

A wonderful purchase & this should help you with many more adventures for years together. Happy riding!
Thanks rajaghuru, there are 100s of reviews online, in many languages too, that gush and praise the bike to no end. So, I decided to write something more realistic, only from my limited experience. There may be flaws in my review, and some corrections as I cover more kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
Congrats on the new bike Wanderlust. Good to see the first MTS 950 ownership review here. Great choice on the Anekal route for the inaugural run. The internal road from Krishnagiri dam to Denkanikottai and then Bangalore is another enjoyable route.

For the muck throwing, you can go in for a front fender extender & rear splash guard. Probably Puig makes it for the MTS.

Wish you many many enjoyable miles on your new Steed.
Thanks Haroon. I will definitely try the Krishnagiri dam to Denkanikottai route! I will look at after market options for the splash guard, its not available as Ducati accessories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Congrats on the bike sir. Was missing a Multistrada review on the forum for a long time.

False neutrals are a signature ducati feature IIRC. But do get the oil changed as soon as possible. I won't go with ducati's ambitious claims of 15K km services. This is India not Italy.

Enjoy the bike

Regards,
Vishy
Thanks Vishy, definitely the 950 is a great buy, not too big and definitely not small. The oil change has been done at 1K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless.... View Post
Congrats on the Ducati Sir.....
Just love the picture with the veggies in the top box
Thanks Endless...
Old 19th December 2017, 18:37   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

How much was the 950 ms on road in bangalore? How much more was the 1200 multi? Why didnt you strike for the bigger one, once and for all?
Old 20th December 2017, 08:59   #20
Senior - BHPian

Great review. The number of riding reviews on the forum are going up. Definitely see a shift in the 2W market in India.

Can you please share the pricing details sir, for the bike and the accessories?

I want to take the plunge sometime in February / March may be.
Old 20th December 2017, 10:15   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
How much was the 950 ms on road in bangalore? How much more was the 1200 multi? Why didnt you strike for the bigger one, once and for all?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Great review. The number of riding reviews on the forum are going up. Definitely see a shift in the 2W market in India.

Can you please share the pricing details sir, for the bike and the accessories?

I want to take the plunge sometime in February / March may be.

The 950 is 16.15L on road and the 1200S is about 20L. True, the 1200, with IMU, active adjustable suspension, more power, was a better bike for a higher price. But I was already beyond my limit

With a proper budget, I actually started out with the V650 in mind. We just could not see the bike in flesh. The pics showed a not-so-comfortable pillion seat. Wifey finally ran out of patience and tipped me over towards the Ducati.

For all the accessories, I paid overall about 1.5L. Yup, pricey!!

Last edited by wanderlust : 20th December 2017 at 10:29. Reason: Added one more reply
wanderlust is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 13:44   #22
BHPian

First Service:

It has been a few days that I got the first service done. It is pretty straight forward, 1000kms or 6 months, whichever is earlier. They do a basic check, software upgrades, if any, and oil change. Need to complete 1000kms, else software/firmware updates will not automatically download.

The labor rates are displayed outside, as well as standard rates for each service.

Below is a pic of my service invoice.
Attached Thumbnails
Review: Ducati Multistrada 950-img20171018wa0013.jpg  

wanderlust is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th December 2017, 17:21   #23
Senior - BHPian

Wow. That is some bill for a first service but then its a ducati. Look how the GST pushes it from 7.7k to 9.5k!! The labour charge is 2000/hr - does it really take 1.5hrs for the first service??
Nilesh5417 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2017, 09:34   #24
BHPian

Congrats on acquiring a killer machine wanderlust, surely it has a killer looks in red and a nicely put review their.

BTW, today morning at around 8.30 AM I spotted a Red 950 with a top case fitted in Yemalur road. Was that you by any chance?

KK
Old 21st December 2017, 09:46   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Wanderlust : Congratulations on your Multi 950 and on the first MS ownership review on the forum

Lovely straight from the heart review which all of us liked it especially because you focused on the downsides so much (I would not be able to write a single word beyond that gorgeous red color in my review if I owned one)

18 Lakhs on the road inclusive of accessories is surprising to know as I was under the impression it was much lesser. This is the perfect ADV SPORTS package and was in my radar as it has the perfect specs (Need a 100+ BHP when upgrading) but, the price shocked me out of my dreams...LOL!....Not to mention the service cost brought tears to my eyes as well!

How is the service & their response? I hear horror stories about the Bangalore dealership as a friend here who has a Daviel is totally unhappy with them

Btw, a friend from here just returned yesterday touring 8000kms to Sikkim and Bhutan on his MS1200 and some of the pictures he posted were truly gorgeous of the MS in those exotic locales

Congrats again and enjoy the bike and keep updating us with your ride stories

Last edited by mobike008 : 21st December 2017 at 09:48.
Old 21st December 2017, 11:33   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Congrats on acquiring a killer machine wanderlust, surely it has a killer looks in red and a nicely put review their.

BTW, today morning at around 8.30 AM I spotted a Red 950 with a top case fitted in Yemalur road. Was that you by any chance?

KK
Thanks KK, it wasn't me

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Wanderlust : Congratulations on your Multi 950 and on the first MS ownership review on the forum

Lovely straight from the heart review which all of us liked it especially because you focused on the downsides so much (I would not be able to write a single word beyond that gorgeous red color in my review if I owned one)

18 Lakhs on the road inclusive of accessories is surprising to know as I was under the impression it was much lesser. This is the perfect ADV SPORTS package and was in my radar as it has the perfect specs (Need a 100+ BHP when upgrading) but, the price shocked me out of my dreams...LOL!....Not to mention the service cost brought tears to my eyes as well!

How is the service & their response? I hear horror stories about the Bangalore dealership as a friend here who has a Daviel is totally unhappy with them

Btw, a friend from here just returned yesterday touring 8000kms to Sikkim and Bhutan on his MS1200 and some of the pictures he posted were truly gorgeous of the MS in those exotic locales

Congrats again and enjoy the bike and keep updating us with your ride stories
Thanks mobike008, it was your V650 thread that I was following closely and realized that I need to acquire a bike that I am not going to upgrade from, so here is the smashing red Ducati

I realized later that I have been a little on the negative side in my review, so I will try to focus on some positives as I ride along and definitely more pictures!

Yes, the spares and service costs are atrocious, but then, I have accepted them as being a part of a Ducati. I have had no issues with the service guys, they listen and see the issue through your eyes as well. Need to be more persuasive and strict as with any other service personnel. I have seen that outstation owners have issues with not just the service but also with the sole dealer, VST. I hope your friend with the Diavel gets his issues sorted out.

Are the pics of the Bhutan-Sikkim trip on this forum? Definitely looking forward to them. Cheers!

Last edited by wanderlust : 21st December 2017 at 11:36. Reason: added - and definitely more pictures!
Old 23rd December 2017, 12:52   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
This is my first big bike and my first review, I am open to suggestions from experts here. Thank you.
Definitely invest in crash protection. Evotech makes great engine guard + radiator guard + oil cooler guard as well as crash bobbins. Makes all the difference between getting up from a fall and riding on, versus calling an RSA truck. Also, check out good armoured riding pants, gloves and back armour. Keep the tyre pressures monitored and you'll get used to the heat and the clutch behaviour in no time at all! Happy riding!

Sriku
Ducati Scrambler Icon

Last edited by Eddy : 24th December 2017 at 01:00. Reason: fixed quote
Old 26th December 2017, 13:40   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriku View Post
Definitely invest in crash protection. Evotech makes great engine guard + radiator guard + oil cooler guard as well as crash bobbins. Makes all the difference between getting up from a fall and riding on, versus calling an RSA truck. Also, check out good armoured riding pants, gloves and back armour. Keep the tyre pressures monitored and you'll get used to the heat and the clutch behaviour in no time at all! Happy riding!

Sriku
Ducati Scrambler Icon
Thanks Sriku, I have the crash guards and radiator and oil cooler guards in place. I need to rid my reluctance to invest in a good pair of riding pants. I have the rest. Cheers!
wanderlust is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2017, 14:04   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Sriku, I have the crash guards and radiator and oil cooler guards in place. I need to rid my reluctance to invest in a good pair of riding pants. I have the rest. Cheers!
Please do NOT procrastinate your riding gear purchase! A good pair will save you a lot of trouble, when the inadvertent crash comes knocking your door. Better to be safe than sorry, especially, when riding a motorcycle that can get to silly speeds in real, quick time. Not to mention, recoveries are a painful affair.

Sorry to sound gloomy, but yes, have had painful experiences in the past.
Old 26th December 2017, 15:58   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Good to know Sir, like everything else, prepare for the worst and you'll walk away unhurt!

Sriku

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks