Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2018, 09:47   #16
BHPian

Re: GRoller Stand: A boon for bikes without a centre stand

I had bought the G Roller thinking of the portability aspect and ease of chain lubing alone. I ride a Ninja 1000 and in my personal opinion I did not like this product. Once the bike is placed on the roller, you need someone to move the tire while you spray lube. If you are doing it on your own, you need to first spin the wheel and then lube. Repeat the process. So, I have only used 2-3 times since I got it. Also, to add if your bike has heavy rear profile tire the effort is quite a lot to move the wheel on roller. I literally had to use both hands to turn the wheel.

On long trips, I carry a wooden log which I place on the swing arm to suspend the rear wheel in air to bring it in free motion. Lube the chain and remove the log. It's lighter, uses less space and does the job.

For me, when at home Paddock Stand is best for chain cleaning activities and on trips a wooden log suffices. Happy to give this product to anyone who wants to buy it any which ways
Sachin_Nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2018, 10:52   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachin_Nair View Post

On long trips, I carry a wooden log which I place on the swing arm to suspend the rear wheel in air to bring it in free motion. Lube the chain and remove the log. It's lighter, uses less space and does the job.
Can you show the same with some pictures or a video?
Old 2nd November 2018, 19:38   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasuki View Post
Can you show the same with some pictures or a video?
May not be the best pic but will give you an idea of it works.
Attached Thumbnails
GRoller Stand: A boon for bikes without a centre stand-img_3729.jpg  

Sachin_Nair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2018, 21:45   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachin_Nair View Post
May not be the best pic but will give you an idea of it works.
That's a neat handy idea.

But the stability of vehicle in such position is questionable which is one of the reason for my selecting the GRoller.

BTW nice choice of bikes.

Last edited by Vasuki : 2nd November 2018 at 21:47.
Old 3rd November 2018, 20:28   #20
Senior - BHPian

For my Bonnie, I use a hydraulic bottle jack under the frame below the engine and jack it up ever so slightly with the bike on side stand so that the rear wheel is just off the ground. Simple and easy for chain clean and lube. Can rotate the wheel with one hand while spraying the cleaner and Lube. Will post a pic next time I do it
Old 10th January 2019, 17:23   #21
BANNED

In the above video, he is not placing the jack in the correct place, right?

OR

Is it fine?

Last edited by mithun : 10th January 2019 at 17:25.
Old 1st August 2019, 20:31   #22
BHPian

As Sachin explained, even a log / rod stuck on the swingarm would work.

For my Versys650, to lift the rear wheel for chain cleaning - I use the motojack made by a DIY enthusiastic - SRI. (Yes same guy who made good accessories for Versys bikes)

I have made this video to explain the tool:

this motojack can be seen in action - see other video on "Chain Cleaning" on my above YT channel

similar products are available online too, as a ref :

https://amzn.to/2OImsjE
https://letsgearup.in/products/motoj...-paddock-stand

regards,
Pranav

Last edited by pcpranav : 1st August 2019 at 20:34.
Old 20th August 2019, 22:17   #23
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
For my Versys650, to lift the rear wheel for chain cleaning - I use the motojack made by a DIY enthusiastic - SRI. (Yes same guy who made good accessories for Versys bikes)

regards,
Pranav

Thanks for the great video. How much did it cost?

Also can't we use a car jack like this:
Old 20th August 2019, 23:07   #24
BANNED

I see most of you lube your motorcycles in your own parking lots, if that is the case why not spend a a fraction of that money and get a paddock stand fabricated?

Costs peanuts in comparison and you can choose strength based on load.

GRoller Stand: A boon for bikes without a centre stand-imag0030.jpg

After the suspension upgrade my main stand doesn't touch the ground hence had to scrap it and got a paddock stand fabricated a week ago, had gone for thicker metal tubes as sometimes I'd have the rear rack and boxes on.

When on the road you could simply roll the motorcycle and then lube a part at a time, one man job and doesn't require any gymnastics as such products are only good for lubing the chain and nothing else. Never have lubed my chains in between a ride due to using gear oil, but I'd be missing out on something as I don't ride a supersport.

Cheers,
A.P.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 20th August 2019 at 23:12.
ashwinprakas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 23:22   #25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
I see most of you lube your motorcycles in your own parking lots, if that is the case why not spend a a fraction of that money and get a paddock stand fabricated?

Costs peanuts in comparison and you can choose strength based on load.

Attachment 1907147

After the suspension upgrade my main stand doesn't touch the ground hence had to scrap it and got a paddock stand fabricated a week ago, had gone for thicker metal tubes as sometimes I'd have the rear rack and boxes on.

When on the road you could simply roll the motorcycle and then lube a part at a time, one man job and doesn't require any gymnastics as such products are only good for lubing the chain and nothing else. Never have lubed my chains in between a ride due to using gear oil, but I'd be missing out on something as I don't ride a supersport.

Cheers,
A.P.
The problem with fabricating a paddock stand with the local guys(in Kerala) is that they mess up and we've to babysit them :-(

Also they are all omniscient guys with a big attitude!
mithun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 16:13   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Thanks for the great video. How much did it cost?

Also can't we use a car jack like this: https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=nQcSleDwvzY

haha, dont even ask! as I said before, a very talented biker & engineer had fabricated few parts (moto jack, spools, guards, saddle stays, gps mount, sliders, etc) and each costed so low. He is very popular in our K-Versys group, but he doesn't make it anymore. If you have seen the design, you can try fabricating your own.

In my previous post, I gave link of BlueBurns jack - they have Standard (regular bikes, basic) and Smart variant (some more features, for bigger bikes), and it sees quite good.
Such a moto jack is really easy to use, highly portable which shines especially if you do tours.

There is a whole lot of convenience of using moto jack.
My typical chain lubing task is done in less than 10 min - steps as:
- first lock the front brake (I have make a rope kinda from an old mattress, else use a hanky / rope / veltro strip)
- mount the jack on Right spool, lift it (beware fingers dont snap, and that ground is firm)
- spray the lube on chain
- un-mount the jack carefully
- unlock the front brake, all done.

Using a car jack for lubing has some issues:
- bit bigger tool for small chain cleaning purpose.
- need precise mounting on bike, not to damage anything and balance well. not all bikes would support such mounting.
- not portable
- time consuming (see that screwing/unscrewing part!)

Imagine a big bike (200+ KGs) or luggage loaded bike (200-300 KGs), you trying to roll ahead in parts to lube chain !! In emergency its ok, but really not worth it ! Plus there are parameters which could go wrong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
The problem with fabricating a paddock stand with the local guys(in Kerala) is that they mess up and we've to babysit them :-(

Also they are all omniscient guys with a big attitude!

a good paddock would cost you about 2.5-3.0K, many vendors available, just check the size & load capacity. You can ignore the mayhem of fabrication etc. I also have a paddock stand, luckily supplied complimentary by bike dealer :-) I have used it few times for bigger tasks on bike, have to carry this from home to down in my parking area. Paddock has its own features to offer.

Last edited by pcpranav : 23rd August 2019 at 16:17.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks