Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2018, 17:40   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: MV Agusta F3 800: Front brake allegedly jams, Mumbai rider dead

Interesting turn of events reported by Mid Day - https://www.pressreader.com/india/mi...81694025851596
neil.jericho is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 23:08   #17
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Interesting turn of events reported by Mid Day - https://www.pressreader.com/india/mi...81694025851596
Yep a totally different report.

Raises questions.

But one query I have is why MVA did not counter the earlier social media article itself with this response? Or did they? Now it is too late as the rider would not be able to counter reply.
Old 5th December 2018, 23:50   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Yep a totally different report.

Raises questions.

But one query I have is why MVA did not counter the earlier social media article itself with this response? Or did they? Now it is too late as the rider would not be able to counter reply.
I had received a whatsapp image which had this article with a sub article (I couldnt find a link with the sub article) that had a response from the owner of the bike (Faiyaz Merchant) who is the brother of the rider (Zoheb Merchant) who passed away. Some points from this
- He mentions the company is covering up their mistake.
- He claims the bike was always ridden at a limited speeds of less than 100 kmph.
- He wanted the company to replace the bike as it could be fatal to ride.
- The bike was left in the showroom for 6 months (I assume he means service centre).

Interestingly, one of Zoheb's friends claims that they were riding at 70 - 80 kmph when suddenly the swingarm on the MV Agusta bike got damaged. He claims there were no accidents related to this swing arm damage. This is in reference to the problems the bike faced and not the actual accident in question that led to the riders untimely and unfortunate passing.

I think MV Agusta did the smart thing by putting their response through the media rather than going with social media where it could have been a case of trial by public sentiment.

Last edited by neil.jericho : 5th December 2018 at 23:52.
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 02:48   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
Confused. How could the front brake jam, unless it was applied by the rider?
https://www.mid-day.com/articles/mum...s-death/400866
On a group ride, I have seen the rear brake of a BMW R1200GS lock up permanently. The rear wheel screeched to a halt, we had to get the bike towed back to our city. When you have sensors and logic controlling the brakes/ABS things can get messy even when some sensor in the closed loop fails. One would think there is quality control to prevent such mishaps, but that is always too much to ask for with exotics.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 14:49   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
On a group ride, I have seen the rear brake of a BMW R1200GS lock up permanently. The rear wheel screeched to a halt, we had to get the bike towed back to our city. When you have sensors and logic controlling the brakes/ABS things can get messy even when some sensor in the closed loop fails. One would think there is quality control to prevent such mishaps, but that is always too much to ask for with exotics.
OMG! I thank my stars on that day and I should have in person thanked the bus driver for averting the mishap. Thanks for sharing, I feel the old good RE is safer on road.
pdiw is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 15:32   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
At least you're in a place where RSA is reliable.

If the same were to happen on a ride in India I pity the rider for what he would have to face to get the motorcycle running again, especially if he's on an extended ride with advanced bookings in order.

The attitude of motorcyclists is also partly to blame per me, minimal knowledge about the machine they're riding and complete dependence on the A.S.S's is a sure shot recipe to disaster, more so in limited support regions.

I get consumerism but would never side with it when personal safety is at stake.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 6th December 2018 at 15:35.
Old 8th December 2018, 11:16   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
- He wanted the company to replace the bike as it could be fatal to ride.
This one point makes me call BS on everything that the owner and rider are claiming. If the bike was actually in such a bad condition, why was it being ridden?

While I rarely believe what the company has to say in such cases - in this case their explanations do sound more plausible.
VellVector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 21:48   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VellVector View Post
This one point makes me call BS on everything that the owner and rider are claiming. If the bike was actually in such a bad condition, why was it being ridden?

While I rarely believe what the company has to say in such cases - in this case their explanations do sound more plausible.
The claim regarding the earlier incident where the swing arm got damaged by itself while they were riding the bike at 70-80 kmph itself is also another element that makes me believe that the company's explanation is more likely true. I personally believe that this is a case of rider error that had tragic consequences.

That said, the fallout of this incident has been widespread, especially in Bombay. An old friend of mine who is an avid biking enthusiast based in Bombay, was telling me today that he is under a lot of pressure from this family to stop riding his Harley Davidson on the highways. The only cause of this family pressure and concern is the news around the tragic passing away of Zoheb Merchant and the corresponding extensive sharing of the story on social media, especially whatsapp.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks