Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2019, 11:52   #46
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2018 Annual Report Card - Superbikes & Imports

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Kawasaki 300 did see a big drop in price after localisation - which is also probably the reason why spares saw a big drop in prices.
It doesnt carry forward to other bikes in Kawasaki range as their spare parts are not localised in India but imported.
Somehow the bike price drop is actually much lesser compared to the spares price drop. There is a significant amount that the bike can drop further in price if Kawasaki wishes to sell a lot more units.

Source of image is is cartorq.

It shows how much more Kawasaki can do for increasing it's presence in India. Imagine a Versys 650 at say 4.5 L. Doable for them if they wish.
Attached Thumbnails
2018 Annual Report Card - Superbikes & Imports-20190201_114954.jpg  

ACM is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 11:57   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
You made my point - you booked the Interceptor 650 as a SECONDARY bike. Would you replace your Z900 with the RE twins ?
Ah yes, I should have read through that more thoroughly. I definitely wouldn't consider the RE650 a replacement for the Z900.

But if I were to be choosing between say, a T100 and the RE, the Enfield does make a pretty strong case.
The_Mad_Hatter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 12:05   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mad_Hatter View Post

That is subjective, but I haven't really heard many people complain about the looks of a Z900. That is one of the things I considered when picking it up; it looks pretty good to me.

No offence meant dude, Its a great bike and priced really well too. what I meant is that its not a conventionally good looking bike,just that the proportions are slightly off. For eg the Z 800 although an older bike , looks a lot more proportionate and handsome. Its definitely not a bad looking bike, it just doesn't catch your eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mad_Hatter View Post

To sell a bike because it isn't loud enough has to be one of the dumbest possible reasons I've heard. A full-system header + slip-on set will make the Z900 loud as hell, and still wind up costing less than a Street Triple.
It sure is a dumb thing to do, unfortunately it is a farely common occurance here in Delhi atleast. Lots of Z 900s under the 3k mark are up for sale, and invariably all of them are on the stock exhaust.

The thing is that even with a slip on its only very slightly louder, and I am guessing no one really wants to spend on a full system and a PC5. Obviously this is more of the poser crowd.
noo.b is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 12:12   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noo.b View Post
No offence meant dude, Its a great bike and priced really well too.
None taken. As I said, the looks are subjective and I was just giving my opinion. The Z800 does look more aggressive.

Yeah, that's the problem with most big bike buyers I've observed. Most of them just want the attention and the "status" of owning a bigger bike. You don't see these guys often on highways, mostly just revving their engines to death around local hangouts in the city, wearing chappals on a 1000cc+ bike their dad bought them.
Old 1st February 2019, 13:51   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

It shows how much more Kawasaki can do for increasing it's presence in India. Imagine a Versys 650 at say 4.5 L. Doable for them if they wish.
I will still be happy if they keep the entry price high and just drop the spare prices!
Old 1st February 2019, 17:49   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
I also echo the same thought. The inclusion of RE 650 twins into this comparison actually skews the %ages for everyone, whereas they very clearly don't have either the performance or the pricing to go against the competition in those stats.
Couldn't exclude the RE 650 as it is classified under the broad section of Superbikes on the forum - I believe after multiple requests on the thread. Will check with the (senior) support team members and revert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Imagine a Versys 650 at say 4.5 L. Doable for them if they wish.
Still will sell less than 50-100 units a month. The numbers are just not there to localize such machines now. Even the well priced 300s aren't selling - forget 650 class for another decade, except if RE or Bajaj wants to aim higher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noo.b View Post
Its definitely not a bad looking bike, it just doesn't catch your eye.
But it doesn't look like a 250cc, 390cc from the same brand. Taking a Kawasaki example - I feel ZX6R will face this issue, looking too similar to the Ninja 400.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 1st February 2019 at 17:51.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2019, 21:18   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
I will still be happy if they keep the entry price high and just drop the spare prices!
Kawasaki dealers will be happiest if entry prices drop and spare prices drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Couldn't exclude the RE 650 as it is classified under the broad section of Superbikes on the forum - I believe after multiple requests on the thread. Will check with the (senior) support team members and revert.
It would be rather unfair on Royal Enfield if it is removed from the superbike section sales / dispatch figures analysis. The fact that they are making it in India and are pricing it aggressively has resulted in its rock bottom pricing. Why should they be penalized for doing what most manufacturers have not been willing to do so far?
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 19:41   #53
BHPian

My view is, the market seems so small for big capacity bikes in India. Who amongst all the listed is actually breaking even or making any profit? Seems to be a lost cause, or are they just in for the long run, for the future market, if there is any.
Old 11th February 2019, 20:20   #54
BHPian

Dear forum members, Im planning to buy a Ducati multistrada 1200 from Delhi and get it registered in Tamilnadu. The model is 2016. How much roadtax will I need to pay to get it registered here? Exshowroom at the time was around 17 lakhs.
Old 11th February 2019, 20:34   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterPatrol View Post
Dear forum members, Im planning to buy a Ducati multistrada 1200 from Delhi and get it registered in Tamilnadu. The model is 2016. How much roadtax will I need to pay to get it registered here? Exshowroom at the time was around 17 lakhs.
IIRC, you need to pay between 90% - 93% of the road tax amount, which will be calculated as per showroom invoice.

If the road tax is 18% (As per google), and ex-showroom was 17L - you're looking at a road tax of around 2.85 lakhs in Tamilnadu.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2019, 21:16   #56
BHPian

Thanks for this thread, Crazy Driver !

Two things stick out to me particularly:

1. Contrary to what I hear so much (that Indians love fairings), 66% of the market is cruisers and modern classics, and faired bikes are only 4% of the total. Only 4% ! OK, sothe sporttourer adds another 12% but even so, 16% is minuscule as a market share.

2. Hypersports outsell the supersports 3:1 ! I don't see that many Hayabusas/ZX-14Rs - so I guess outside MH, Hayabusas are way more popular ? Liter class being merely 1% of the sales , that's astonishing.

BTW, why is the Goldwing clubbed as a cruiser?
Old 2nd March 2019, 12:41   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
1. Contrary to what I hear so much (that Indians love fairings), 66% of the market is cruisers and modern classics, and faired bikes are only 4% of the total. Only 4% ! OK, sothe sporttourer adds another 12% but even so, 16% is minuscule as a market share.
I believe this has a lot to do with the age and demographics of the actual buyers. Give a guy who is in his 20's an open wallet and he will definitely choose a faired motorcycle like the ZX6R or a second hand Daytona. However for today's middle class youth in the 20s, a Duke 390 / TVS 310RR / Honda CBR250 are the bikes they can actually afford to own. The superbikes are quite often out of reach financially.

The actual buyers of these big bikes from the Indian middle class are hence the older buyers (30 - 40 age group roughly) for whom comfort and practicality normally take precedence over their faired dreams from a decade ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
2. Hypersports outsell the supersports 3:1 ! I don't see that many Hayabusas/ZX-14Rs - so I guess outside MH, Hayabusas are way more popular ? Liter class being merely 1% of the sales , that's astonishing.
The Hayabusa is a very popular motorcycle in Bangalore.
neil.jericho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2019, 12:43   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I believe this has a lot to do with the age and demographics of the actual buyers. Give a guy who is in his 20's an open wallet and he will definitely choose a faired motorcycle like the ZX6R or a second hand Daytona. However for today's middle class youth in the 20s, a Duke 390 / TVS 310RR / Honda CBR250 are the bikes they can actually afford to own. The superbikes are quite often out of reach financially.

The actual buyers of these big bikes from the Indian middle class are hence the older buyers (30 - 40 age group roughly) for whom comfort and practicality normally take precedence over their faired dreams from a decade ago.
Bang on! Add to it the fact that the average target customer doesn't retain the required fitness and flexibility levels to be riding the aggressive bikes. That, and also maybe a little bit more good sense.
roy_libran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2019, 14:31   #59
Team-BHP Support

Ducati global sales are down 2.7% in 2018 -

Source - https://auto.ndtv.com/news/ducati-gl...n-2018-2011187

Quote:
In all, Ducati delivered 53,004 motorcycles to customers worldwide, compared to 55,871 motorcycles in 2017. Sales in Ducati's number one market, the US, proved to be particularly challenging, declining by nearly 9 percent.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks