Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2019, 10:58   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT - A foray into the world of adventure biking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
BTW I just realized that you mentioned using Motul 300V, if I were you I'd scrap that immediately, reason being unlike oils up to the Motul 7100, the 300V is literally not JASO MA2 certified as in suitable for extended use in a wet clutch UCE engine.

Motul does mention the same in their own website, only in flowery language.

Being a race oil the expected life is limited to a few hours or laps and would cause more wear and tear when it comes to regular use, personally I'd opted for Motul 300V in my Discover 100 4G when I went on my first ride to Bangalore from Kollam, the oil crapped out within 1,000 km's, heartbreak was the pricing and the fact that the motorcycle was new at the time and I was still in college(read, poverty stricken!)
Suzuki's India website does list the Motul 300V and 7100 as recommended engine oils. I dont see such wording used for the other oils available. I think the reasoning is obvious - keep your dealers happy.

Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT - A foray into the world of adventure biking-12.png

I will not be surprised if Suzuki dealers say they cannot source the Ecstar oils and put in Motul oil instead during the warranty services. The prices of the Motul offerings are far higher than that of the Ecstar ones and the corresponding margins would be much higher as well. Its just good business sense.
neil.jericho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 18:36   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Suzuki's India website does list the Motul 300V and 7100 as recommended engine oils. I dont see such wording used for the other oils available. I think the reasoning is obvious - keep your dealers happy.

I will not be surprised if Suzuki dealers say they cannot source the Ecstar oils and put in Motul oil instead during the warranty services. The prices of the Motul offerings are far higher than that of the Ecstar ones and the corresponding margins would be much higher as well. Its just good business sense.
Unethical, similar to what Bajaj and now RE is doing with respect to reducing service costs by extending drain intervals.
ashwinprakas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2019, 21:15   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Unethical, similar to what Bajaj and now RE is doing with respect to reducing service costs by extending drain intervals.
No no. Strictly speaking the 300v is a track only oil and suzuki sells track ready motorcycles.

It is the dealer who cuts corners and pours in the 300v down unsuspecting customers bikes for whom the normal 7100 in the motul range us better suited (still not a good 10k change interval oil).

Almost every single versys apart from me in Bangalore were running on the 300v.

There is only so much one can do to convince people. Rest, as long as one is happy, who is anyone to complain about what they use. and this whole engine oil thing is like mine is always better than your snake oil
Red Liner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 10:54   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

kozhissery, keeping aside the whole recommended and non recommended oil business, what you have done is the best approach. Tell the dealer in advance to stock the correct Ecstar engine oil and then take your bike in for service only when it is available.

Quote:
I dont know about Bajaj but for Royal Enfield, they have launched a new semi synthetic oil made by Total which has allowed them to extend the oil change intervals. So I do not see anything unethical in this.
Old 22nd August 2019, 16:55   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Royal Enfield, they have launched a new semi synthetic oil made by Total which has allowed them to extend the oil change intervals. So I do not see anything unethical in this.
I may be naive, but to date I've know several riders who ran premium synthetics for extended drain intervals, but none of them who covered higher mileage figures without having their engine opened.

But then there are people like Parvez who just completed 1,70,000 km's on his R15v2 yesterday without having the engine opened even once, all the while running on cheap Diesel oil changed at 1.5k km's intervals.

Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT - A foray into the world of adventure biking-waimg20190821f5944b6c.jpg

This is his second speedometer(changed under warranty) hence why 20k km's is missing from the figure I mentioned above.

There are several other examples, belonging to both types of riders, I simply shared Parvez's case as this was fresh in memory.

As for speaking technically, change interval is determined predominantly by sump size, and the ideal range would be 1.5~2k km's life per liter irrespective of oil type. Reason being so is simply because there are other factors to consider in a UCE other than friction/heat induced wear and tear such as combustion blowy and clutch wear residue.

With longer drain intervals manufacturers get people to buy their machines under the notion of reduced maintenance and also reap the benefit of spare circulation due to premature wear and tear induced by said extended drain intervals, which ultimately results in summing up to the end consumer buying another motorcycle.

The only reason this goes unnoticed is because trends have changed and 'Le Riders' these days seldom hold on to their motorcycles past the warranty mileage.

So at least for me, unless more tangible results are out, I'd suggest its best we stick to our tried and tested methods, especially since it would practically cost(KM's covered/Rupee Spent) the same either way you go.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 22nd August 2019 at 17:04.
ashwinprakas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 20:53   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So at least for me, unless more tangible results are out, I'd suggest its best we stick to our tried and tested methods, especially since it would practically cost(KM's covered/Rupee Spent) the same either way you go.
Just to understand clearly what you saying - we should all put cheap diesel oils in our superbikes and keep changing oil every 2k kms ?
ethanhunt123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 20:56   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Just to understand clearly what you saying - we should all put cheap diesel oils in our superbikes and keep changing oil every 2k kms ?
That's correct. You should run this as an experiment on your ducati and report back.

What use is a discussion without personal evidence?
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 20:58   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
That's correct. You should run this as an experiment on your ducati and report back.

What use is a discussion without personal evidence?

What has my poor Duc done to you except assault your eardrums once
ethanhunt123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 21:02   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

What has my poor Duc done to you except assault your eardrums once
No no. Since ashwin has not put any disclaimer on his post, it is only fair for you and expected of him, that he bears full engine rebuild cost at ducati in case your bike explodes near murugan idli
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2019, 21:31   #40
BHPian

Congratulations !, on your new bike. It looks fabulous in the white and blue colour scheme. Thank you for your detailed buying experience, I am sure it will help many a biker soul, in their decision making.
It was amusing how you compared every bit to the TB500, but understandable considering it was your steed for many a journey and seems to have served you well.

Regarding Suzuki not having a big bike showroom in Kochi; it sure is a shame. I was considering the Suzuki GSX750, and curious to test ride the V strom, however, did not have the will to make a trip to Kozhikode to have a look at the bikes. I ultimately, took the easy way out and made my way to the Kawasaki showroom, which happens to be a stones throw away from my house, bought a Z900, and will be collecting it next week.I had to satisfy my inline 4 itch. If only Suzuki had a showroom and service centre in Kochi, who knows, my decision might have been different.

However, if I was in the market for a adv-tourer, I would not think twice about going for the V strom. A metal bash plate and centre stand seems to be the essentials. Are you looking for panniers / luggage systems?. Are there any existing mounting points on the bike??.

Wishing you miles of happy and safe riding.

Cheerio.
Old 23rd August 2019, 01:48   #41
BANNED

Quote:
My mistake, I presumed every reader was up to speed with the context.

1. My point here being, irrespective of the marketing hoopla that comes along with any oil for that matter, what really plays a time verified part in engine longevity is the drain interval.

2. Since you asked about using Diesel oil, do note that some HDEO's have greater ZDDP content which protects internals better than conventional oils, this is the reason why seasoned riders across the Globe are fine with using the same in their "Super Bikes", do a bit of research if you really want to know more.

Funny thing being the same has been discussed on TeamBhp way before, here's a quote from user navpreet318;

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Yes I have had discussion with him as well as some other riders regarding HDEO oils.
I know people who use it in R1, Vmax, Busa etc.
These HDEO oils are really good.
But then again if its not already obvious, stick with the user manual if you do not know better, simple, safe and recommended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Since ashwin has not put any disclaimer on his post
Duly Noted! Next time would be stating the obvious just in case. You never really know.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 23rd August 2019 at 02:02.
ashwinprakas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 07:49   #42
Senior - BHPian

It is un-disputed that HDEO's have a higher percentage of ZINC. This greater volume along with other additives have been known to clean engine internals removing the gum built up and reducing friction from the insides.
With repeated use over a period of time, you should experience a noticeable reduction in the engine harshness and vibration along with other improvements. The benefits are not limited to 150/250 cc but big bore 1000 cc plus bikes as well.

Also, there is enough data ( practical and theory) out there to support the claim that HDEO have been known to do wonders to your bikes. Manufacturers just do not approve the use of it.
In-fact few years ago I wanted to try it out my self but never really got the time to experience it.

Last edited by bigron : 23rd August 2019 at 08:05.
bigron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 07:58   #43
BHPian

Quote:
kozhissery, Tell the dealer in advance to stock the correct Ecstar engine oil and then take your bike in for service only when it is available.
Thanks Neil. I had sent a mail to Suzuki and based on that the service head of my dealer had called me. I specifically asked for Suzuki Oil and he said that for next service he will get it ready. Keeping my fingers crossed as I'm planning to get it serviced in the near future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
Congratulations !, on your new bike. It looks fabulous in the white and blue colour scheme. Thank you for your detailed buying experience, I am sure it will help many a biker soul, in their decision making.
Thanks mate

Quote:
It was amusing how you compared every bit to the TB500, but understandable considering it was your steed for many a journey and seems to have served you well.
I don't think that I would have done justice by comparing with other bike which I've not ridden more than 100 kilometers in a stretch. I could have compared with other bikes like Triumph, Z800, Z1000, Dominar, TB350, Avenger etc etc, but all were just test drives below 10/20 kilometers at a stretch and have not covered all my parameters like hills/bad roads/no roads etc.

Quote:
Regarding Suzuki not having a big bike showroom in Kochi; it sure is a shame. I was considering the Suzuki GSX750, and curious to test ride the V strom, however, did not have the will to make a trip to Kozhikode to have a look at the bikes. I ultimately, took the easy way out and made my way to the Kawasaki showroom, which happens to be a stones throw away from my house, bought a Z900, and will be collecting it next week.I had to satisfy my inline 4 itch. If only Suzuki had a showroom and service centre in Kochi, who knows, my decision might have been different.
Congrats. I've ridden Z800 and it is a very beautiful sounding powerful bike. I would have gone for that (lot of Z800 are available in used market), but I can't even imagine riding with stomach on the tank for the whole day (cruisers have spoilt me).

Quote:
However, if I was in the market for a adv-tourer, I would not think twice about going for the V strom. A metal bash plate and centre stand seems to be the essentials. Are you looking for panniers / luggage systems?. Are there any existing mounting points on the bike??.
I've already got the bash plate but yet to be installed. As for centre stand I've not decided as I'm happy with the paddock stand.
I've luggage systems (saddle bags) and I'm not looking of metal panniers. I'll be able to comment only after I do a long trip. I have done a couple of more than 2 weeks trip on my previous bikes and was quite happy with the saddle bags except for the fact that I cannot be locked.
There are no existing mounting points for panniers and the luggage carriers is made of plastic and can carry under 10 KGS only.

Quote:
But then again if its not already obvious, stick with the user manual if you do not know better, simple, safe and recommended.
I followed the web site recommendation (use Motul), but after reading comments from our great reviews like from rb2339, I've decided to use either "Ecstar R9000 10W-40 (fully synthetic)" or "amsoil"

Last edited by kozhissery : 23rd August 2019 at 08:00. Reason: Grammar correction
kozhissery is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 14:22   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
Congrats. I've ridden Z800 and it is a very beautiful sounding powerful bike. I would have gone for that (lot of Z800 are available in used market), but I can't even imagine riding with stomach on the tank for the whole day (cruisers have spoilt me).
Unni, I would like to differ on you here. No way, you have to ride with stomach on the tank with nakeds like Z800, unless of course you are going at unmentionable speeds.

With supersports yes, you can apply above idiom.

Problem with nakeds with long ride, is that the seating position leads to a definite stiff/sore hand/wrist at the end of the day.

Last edited by Vasuki : 23rd August 2019 at 14:40.
Vasuki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2019, 15:38   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
I followed the web site recommendation (use Motul), but after reading comments from our great reviews like from rb2339, I've decided to use either "Ecstar R9000 10W-40 (fully synthetic)" or "amsoil"
kozhissery, is the dealership ok with you using an engine oil that they dont suggest even if it is in the same specifications? Most companies now are quite finicky about what oil gets used during the warranty period and do not accept oils other that what they recommend (not to be confused with the recommended Motul oil vs the regular Ecstar oil). If Suzuki is willing to let you use the Amsoil engine oil on your new bike, that is really good news!

Quote:
If you havent parted with your money yet, there is a Suzuki dealership in Cochin that will get you the test rides of the GSX S750. They brought down the Busa and V Strom recently from APCO in Kozhikode and can arrange for the same. Let me know, I can share the details of the sales guy with you.
neil.jericho is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks