Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2019, 13:08   #76
BHPian

Re: Which big touring motorcycle should I buy?

Thank you all for the responses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
A used Vstrom would be an extremely rare find, since there aren't many around.
There is a higher possibility of finding a used Versys within your budget.
Versys is a reliable bike and since it is fairly bare bones in terms of electronics it is not very expensive to maintain unless you need parts replacement.
Thats right. Its difficult to find but just kept the option open after reading this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghate View Post
Have you looked at the Benelli TRK 502? It has good road presence and I believe a 500cc twin with around 47 BHP should suffice. The only question being Benelli's ASS and long term reliability. My friend has a TNT 300 and it has been problem free for 2 years.

If you are aiming at the 600+cc segment then your choice is good. Just that I have not seen the Versys sold below 6.5 lacs unless they are 2-3 year old.
Thank you. I forgot about TRK 502 mainly after reviews and reading material which is mentioning its heavy weight to the low power ratio. It weighs a good 235 kgs with a lower power when compared to Versys. Also I am not sure about the Benelli ASS. Presently I am in Chennai but the chances of my work being in remote areas is high and finding a Benelli service station could be a major problem. I have not counted the number of service stations of Kawa or Benelli but Kawa being an older company in India has way more service centres than Benelli right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
If you are willing to spend 6.5lacs on a used versys seriously consider a new one given how long you keep your vehicles and how much use them (conjecture based on your post). The cost over 8yrs will be approx 1000rs/month more!! But the peace of mind will be priceless.
For someone young like you and your usage, a new one just makes more sense.
New bikes always are a peace of mind but the ad which i have mentioned is almost new with just 3k km on odo and hardly abused. So was thinking to go for it as the first owner has already taken a considerable depreciation hit. Will surely look out for the bikes you've mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hema4saran View Post
If you are planning to do cross country rides, better stick to the ADV bikes like Versys and Vstrom.
There is a speculation that KTM 390 ADV version is in the pipeline. Also it will be cheaper to buy and maintain in long run.

Last but not least. If you are planning cross country ride, please allocate some funds for good quality gears as well.
Okay! Somehow I did not like the exhaust note and the bright colours of KTMs till date. May be the 390 ADV could be different. Also a new bike on the block needs some time to iron out the issues right? Yes I have already allocated some funds first for the gear and the remaining budget is for the bike. Gears for both my wife and myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Ani0404, the budget appears to be the fly in the ointment for your overall requirements. If you are on a really tight budget, TBHPian aghate's suggestion on the Benelli TRK 502 is actually quite good. I havent test ridden it yet but did check it out in person. It should suit your bill but you dont get the proven track record of the Kawasaki or Suzuki offerings. And as good as the bike might be, you wont get the bragging rights associated with the Versys 650 or the V Strom 650, if that matters to you.

If that doesnt work, I have two suggestions
- Buy an intermediate bike for now which might be a compromise of some sorts while you work out your financials for the long run. Something like the Himalayan or the Dominar. Often the best intentioned ride plans never materialize due to a multitude of reasons and if you plonk you money now for a big bike, it could be an expensive garage queen.

- Wait for a year or two more without any upgrade, intermediate or large, ensure that you have a bigger budget and then buy the right bike for you as soon as possible. The last thing you will want is to buy a bike today and then regret it tomorrow thinking I shouldve saved more and bought the better one.
Yes the budget is a little restricted. Well the next best bike after Versys seems a Tiger. Also the maintenance of Triumph is significantly higher as per my understanding when compared to the Japs (Kawa). I wished Yamaha has a decent ADV tourer like in the markets abroad.! But Versys itself is like a dream come true for me. Never ever thought I would cross a 150CC segment in my life.!

The point which you mentioned is a very valid one which is lingering in my mind as to how much I would be able to materialise the rides. But I feel I have the drive and I can get a good amount of leave (long leave) which would help me in doing them. Yes, If I wait for an year or two, I would be able to stretch my finance a little more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Dont look at the TRK - its a mediore bike at best. A pre-owned Versys 650 should easily come in your budget and will keep you happy for quite some time.
As per the reviews, its the same as you've mentioned. But I am planning for a test ride coming Friday. Lets see how it fares. Also taking a new Benelli TRK 502 and then spending on the accessories would amount to almost the same or even a little more when compared to a rarely used Versys with decent accessories. All I have to invest is in the luggage dept and a luggage rack.

Last edited by manson : 26th July 2019 at 00:27. Reason: Typos.
Old 25th July 2019, 11:52   #77
Senior - BHPian

This is a THANK YOU post for all the folks here who contributed to the discussion and helped me with my queries.
I took delivery of my V Strom yesterday. Was gladly able to witness the unboxing and witness the assembly and PDI myself.

The greatest joy was when I was the first one to hit the Start button and be the first one to start the bike since it left the factory.
Was unable to get more pictures since it was raining very heavily and could not do a photo shoot in the open.

Riding home in very heavy rain, and riding the V strom for the very first time ever, following are my observations.
  1. Im 6ft tall and could get both my feet on the floor. Shorter riders will need to get the lower accessory seat to have their feet on the floor.
  2. Seat is extremely comfy and the riding position is nice and upright.
  3. Torquey and silky smooth engine. Very refined.
  4. Fantastic bite from the front brakes. The rear brakes felt rather dead and spongy.
  5. Excellent braking stability in very heavy rain. The bike tracks in a straight line without any hint of losing traction or stability.
  6. Was riding with pillion- my wife- and she found the rear seat to be extremely comfy and wide enough with superb support.
  7. the suspension soaked everything i gave it including the deep invisible potholes without making the pillion uneasy and without any jarring and absolutely no bottoming out. The bike holds its like and doesn't become unsteady nor loses its line when u hit potholes or fly over any speed breakers at any speed.
I will start a separate thread with pics and more data as i ride some more. For now the bike waits in my parking awaiting registration.

Awaiting unboxing from the container.

Which big touring motorcycle should I buy?-1.jpg

Assembly and PDI
Which big touring motorcycle should I buy?-2.jpg

0.2 kms on the odometer when it left the factory.
Which big touring motorcycle should I buy?-3.jpg
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 14:28   #78
Senior - BHPian

Many congrats again on the new bike - ride hard and ride safe :-) And please do keep the thread updated
Old 25th July 2019, 18:42   #79
BHPian

Quote:
The greatest joy was when I was the first one to hit the Start button and be the first one to start the bike since it left the factory.
Wow! Congratulations Jaysmokesleaves, ride hard and ride safe. The bike looks stunner in the white and blue combo.

Guys I have a question! How is Kawasaki Ninja 650 pillion comfort for long rides? I love the Ninja for all the goodies it offers and the looks especially.! But never sat as a pillion or came across a person who mentioned the same. There is this really sweet deal which is too hard to resist for a 2017 Make 2018 Registered N650. I tried looking for all threads of N650 regarding couple riding but could not find them! So please advise!

Last edited by manson : 26th July 2019 at 00:22. Reason: Deleted blank rows.
Ani0404 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2019, 20:36   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani0404 View Post
Guys I have a question.! How is Kawasaki Ninja 650 pillion comfort for long rides? I love the Ninja for all the goodies it offers and the looks especially.! But never sat as a pillion or came across a person who mentioned the same. There is this really sweet deal which is too hard to resist for a 2017 Make 2018 Registered N650.! I tried looking for all threads of N650 regarding couple riding but could not find them.! So please advise.!
NO. No to touring. No for pillion. No for luggage. No for comfort.

Dont penny pinch so much to change the genre itself. Since you are buying to keep 10 years, get the vstrom on a loan and be done.

Last edited by manson : 26th July 2019 at 00:21. Reason: Trimmed quote.
Red Liner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th July 2019, 18:00   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
NO. No to touring. No for pillion. No for luggage. No for comfort.

Dont penny pinch so much to change the genre itself. Since you are buying to keep 10 years, get the vstrom on a loan and be done.
We took a test ride of a Ninja 650 yesterday and I could recollect your words the moment we sat on it.! Its cramped, the pillion seat does not exist.!

We had a test ride of Versys and TRK 502. Versys was just mind blowing.! The power is just amazing.! It pulls and pulls in any gear.! Wow. Just wow.!

After riding the Versys, Benelli TRK 502 felt lethargic and slow on pickup/ throttle response. The bike is broader near the tank area. But the price and the basic accessories which Benelli is giving is just so good to resist. Auxiliary lights are the only thing one needs to fit after the delivery and the bike is good to tour.! Thats great actually when compared to Versys which comes barebones from the showroom. And then comes the price.! Versys is a cool 2.2 lakhs more than TRK 502 excluding the accessories which the latter comes with.!
Ani0404 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2019, 18:02   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
We ! Versys is a cool 2.2 lakhs more than TRK 502 excluding the accessories which the latter comes with.!
10 year use case = Japanese adventure bike = vstrom 650.

You will be doing yourself a disservice. Up your budget with a 10 year view point.
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2019, 18:21   #83
Senior - BHPian

Ani0404 - i would strongly second what RedLiner said. TRK502 is all looks no go - dont even look at it compared to Versys 650 or VStrom 650. Hell even a Dominar is a better touring option than that chinese junk.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2019, 18:38   #84
Senior - BHPian

@ Ani0404 - The Benelli is a very heavy and large bike relative to its engine capacity and power. Th reason you felt it was lethargic was because 47 bhp was pulling about 240 kgs.
To put it simply, its just not a very nicely put together product specially in areas where riding and the joy of riding matters.
Since , you are starting fresh, an uncomplicated and non tantrum throwing Jap is the way to go.
bigron is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th July 2019, 09:47   #85
BHPian

Quote:
This is a THANK YOU post for all the folks here who contributed to the discussion and helped me with my queries.
I took delivery of my V Strom yesterday.
Congratulations! Wish you many happy miles of riding.
Old 6th January 2020, 14:54   #86
BHPian

Quote:
We had a test ride of Versys and TRK 502. Versys was just mind blowing.! The power is just amazing.! It pulls and pulls in any gear.! Wow. Just wow.!
Hi,
there has been a long silence on this thread. So, what did you finally buy ?

I really wish you got one of the V, both are equally good, with minor differences.

regards,
Pranav
Old 7th January 2020, 09:54   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
Hi,
there has been a long silence on this thread. So, what did you finally buy ?

I really wish you got one of the V, both are equally good, with minor differences.

regards,
Pranav
Hey Pranav, the buying decision is on hold now because of some urgent commitments. Checked out few used Tigers too. Could not materialize the deal due to various reasons and the commitments cropped up. But still keeping a lookout for good bikes. Will update once I decide on one.

Cheers,

Ani
Old 9th January 2020, 13:26   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I took delivery of my V Strom yesterday. Was gladly able to witness the unboxing and witness the assembly and PDI myself. ..]

Congrats!! I have been strongly thinking of an upgrade to 650cc (Versys / Vstrom) from my CBR 250 after close to 2 years of ownership. While its fun on CBR, Its just not comfy on broken roads. Did a 1000 kms non stop ride and I survived, bit had severe calf muscle pain after the ride and fatigue.

Hopefully the 650cc takes care of the rider in a much better way. Been looking out for pre worshipped deals and VStrom simply is not available across India. Versys have a fair lot available though.

I am inclined towards Vstrom since all reviews pit it better than Versys and am not a big fan of expensive spares and believe Suzuki might pip Kawa on that piece.

Please do release the ownerahip report, I have already read all the Versys & Vstrom reports multiple times

Wish you miles of happy motoring.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2020, 16:01   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I am inclined towards Vstrom since all reviews pit it better than Versys and am not a big fan of expensive spares and believe Suzuki might pip Kawa on that piece.

The Vstorm is much newer and so, you'll have to wait a year or two to be able to pick up on resale. A friend just bought one, primarily due to:

1) The ease of self maintenance (not sure there is an appreciable difference between the two on that front)

2) Tubeless Spokes (again, seeing as what an easy mod this is, I wouldn't sweat this)

3) Weight and Weight distribution. This is a big one, the bike simply isn't top heavy and the weight distribution is excellent. It beats the pre 2020 Triumph Tigers and the Versys 650 on this front.

I know I'd much rather have the Suzuki over the Kawasaki. If you can't wait, you really should try to find a way to buy the Vstorm and be done with it.
imp! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2020, 17:46   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I am inclined towards Vstrom since all reviews pit it better than Versys and am not a big fan of expensive spares and believe Suzuki might pip Kawa on that piece..
The 17 inch front wheel is better for cornering.
The 19 inch front wheel is better at tackling bad roads.

You should pick based on your use case. Both are great and you won't lose much if you went with either.

This is one of the better comparisons.
highlander is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks