Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2019, 10:23   #16
BHPian

re: Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold

Wow. Congratulation for getting your Tiger aka Bagheera. Very well written article. Triumph Tiger is special bike ( at least for me) and I hope you enjoy every ride on it.
Sunny_ST3 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 13:40   #17
Team-BHP Support

Congratulations and welcome to the joys of Tiger ownership. It is a lovely bike to live with, once you get used to it. Does both city and highways with ease, returns reasonable FE and is pretty much low maintenance. Your bike is 4 years old, so if the tyres are OE this might be a good time to get em replaced? Though from the pics it seems like the previous owner has already replaced them with Metzelers. XRX came with Pirelli, Scorpion. Similarly at 4 years there is a service kit that comes with fuel pipes and some such rubber stuff, do get it done if not attended at last service.

Air pressure you have mentioned is correct (36/42), you can ride at lower pressure (-2) but then you run a greater risk of rim damage thanks to our pothole ridden roads. Another thing you can check is if the rear suspension preload has been adjusted, since the vehicle has top box they might have dialled in to the stiffer side. Start with OE setting (mentioned in the manual) and then adjust to soft or hard based on your riding preference. With me at 90 kg and soft luggage, I prefer to keep it two click to firmer side from stock.

Looking forward to regular updates.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 18:13   #18
BHPian

Super Congratulations buddy, we just went on a 2 day trip to attend a wedding at Palakkad in a car and my friend in his Triumph, had the opportunity to ride with him a bit and am super impressed, it brings sheer pleasure just riding pillion so I can imagine the joy you must be experiencing. Happy crunching miles, ride safe wishing you many more happy miles.
majumon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 19:40   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odeen12 View Post
I couldn't help but notice that Triumph owners in Kerala insisted on KFC during their service, though chargeable, i wouldn't have complained in Bombay. Have had quite a few days spent without food at Triumph
Lol... It is 1% additional cess, Kerala Flood Cess.

Last edited by aah78 : 7th November 2019 at 20:31. Reason: Spacing.
Vasuki is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th November 2019, 02:51   #20
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Not quoting everyone in my response, since the post will be too long. But thank you everyone for your lovely wishes.

Thank you very much Rush! I owe you a ride!

Hey Axe77, yes we had met once at the Triumph showroom a couple of months ago. I face an almost similar situation - cannot do very long rides due to a bad back - but 300 Kms total in a day is manageable.

Enjoy and have a safe ride to Hampi! Will look out for your travelogue

Thank you Sujai!! Yes, I remember your post very well on the Z800 thread. The Duke was just a filler and the Versys decision was just made with a practical mind. As we know when it comes to motorcycles, you cannot listen to anything but the heart. Thank you for all your wishes and hoping you become a Traitor too very soon

Thank you for your wishes //M! I wish to cover a lot of miles on the Tiger too. Hopefully will be riding this much more in the coming weeks than I did with the Z and Versys. The power is more than adequate for my style of riding - so definitely I am not gonna be wishing for more for a long time to come.

Regarding the service costs, yes the overall costs are reasonable. Before I forget to mention, the service cost did not include the cost of the brake pads, headlight bulbs and the grips. Regardless, I was happy with the service experience at Shaman Auto - friendly staff and they did a great job.

Yes I agree with you - visually the Tiger is not a handsome or a beautiful looking motorcycle. But like they say "Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder". The Tiger has minimal body work compared to its Japanese and Italian counterparts - the rest is all frame and mechanicals. But it all serves the purpose. Less body parts, less stuff to break etc.

Thanks Redliner,
Regarding the tyre pressure on the Tiger, these were the recommended tyre pressure on the manuals. Probably this could have been the setup for a rider and pillion - will need to check it again.

On the weight part, yes it is heavy to haul out of a parking lot or when you just have to drag it back and forth. It's a task to even put it on the main stand.

Probably I may have done it wrong - but everyone I tried standing on the footpeg, the Versys would tilt on my side. It was scary at all times - and I stopped doing that. Probably the stand extender would have helped in getting a good grip and balance.

And yes, that's a ladies belt buckle - it just looked so good that I had to buy it. If I had a Bonnie, I would have bought 2 and used them as tank pads. Not kidding hahahah

Don't have any long rides planned - just the usual breakfast rides with friends in and around Mumbai. My brother, a close friend and me were planning a ride to Ahmadabad on a Duke, Dominar and Tiger. Am sure the Tiger would do the ride effortlessly - but not sure if my back would take it or not. But someday, I plan to do a long ride. Have heard that the Mumbai Ahmedabad road is amazing.

Thanks Amods! Yes, the comparison was with the Versys mainly. But it also could be as Jaggu mentioned that the suspension needs to be adjusted depending on my weight and luggage I carry.

With regards to the price, let's say I got this for almost the same price as a brand new Versys. Obviously I also had to spend some amount in getting a few parts like the brake pads, grips, headlight bulbs and other basic stuff. All the best to you too in your ambition - take your time and get what you really want and don't compromise or anything less. As my friend Odeen mentions below - Good Things Take Time.

Thank you Deepfreak for your wishes. We all are a confused lot when we have to buy a new motorcycle. The best thing is to ride and try them all and see what appeals to your heart (and pocket obviously) more. Whats on your mind? What have you planned?

Thank you Tarik! With the Versys, the "Zing" was missing right from Day 1. The best solution for the "zing" itch is to rent the bikes that you have mentioned for long rides and then make a decision. For me, the decision was made immediately when I rode the Tiger 4 years ago. Everything else that came in between were just compromises. All the bikes that you have mentioned - Z , Street Triple, CBR650 etc are good in their own ways. You have to ride each of them and see what clicks with you. Frankly speaking, I always wanted a faired superbike - that's what I grew up reading about. Street / Nakeds / Adventure motorcycles were never on my list at all. The Z is close to my heart because it was my childhood dream come true. In today's world - if you are on a budget - pre-worshipped is the way to go. You save a lot of money + get a better motorcycle than a brand new + get a loaded one (if you are lucky). The Tiger is extremely comfortable for long and looooong rides. But I have also seen people on supersports who comfortably do long rides. So it's all about what clicks with you. If you have made up your mind - dont hold on to the N650 for long - since it will just depreciate more. Sell it and then take your time renting and trying out the list of motorcycles. You save up on your EMI (of any) on the N650 and fuel/maintenance cost for those few months. When you get a good deal - just seal it!!

All the best in discovering your "zing" motorcycle!

Thank you Nilesh for your wishes! Call me old school - but I am not on Facebook or Orkut or whatever social media platforms we have. Never knew C_D also was as old school as me probably on a TeamBHP meet - we may meet.

That's the best part of a used motorcycle, you could get a good loaded / accessories one without even having to pay for it. This one was really loaded with a lot of options. Only missing important accessory was the Radiator guard - will probably get a Evotech rad guard soon.

Rahul Rahul - you have seen this right from Day 1. I remember telling you one the first test ride "I want this" and would keep blabbering and blabbering about it whenever we met or spoke. Thank you for all your support and advice as always.

Hahaha and I thought the same thing. I think I was faster on this times Charoti ride than all other rides we have done. Let's time me on the next ride wherever it is.

Thanks for your wishes Rahul!

Thank you for your wishes Sunny_ST3. The name Bagheera did cross my mind - bit being a fan of Calvin and Hobbes, I have named her (or him) Hobbes. The Tiger is indeed a special bike (for me too). Ride Safe!

Thank you for your wishes Jaggu and hope your Tiggu is fine too With regards to the tyres, these were replaced just a few months ago - so pretty much sorted on that. The service kit, I believe, is replaced in the 3rd year / 3rd service which was already done last year at Shaman Auto. I believe that's the one they call a "major service", right? Thank you for reminding me - I have to get the entire service history checked and prepare for the next service.

Regarding the suspension settings - you are right. Probably the setting is considering the previous owner used to ride with the top box. I will definitely try out the other setting (without the box) and see if it improves.

Thank you Majumon, yes I have heard too that the Tiger is comfortable even with a pillion. My brother and me are planning a small ride (probably Lonavala) - will keep posted on how we feel as pillions.

Last edited by GTO : 18th November 2019 at 09:29. Reason: Two smileys only please :)
v12 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th November 2019, 19:13   #21
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Air pressure you have mentioned is correct (36/42), you can ride at lower pressure (-2) but then you run a greater risk of rim damage thanks to our pothole ridden roads. Another thing you can check is if the rear suspension preload has been adjusted, since the vehicle has top box they might have dialled in to the stiffer side. Start with OE setting (mentioned in the manual) and then adjust to soft or hard based on your riding preference. With me at 90 kg and soft luggage, I prefer to keep it two click to firmer side from stock.

Looking forward to regular updates.
Thanks for the tip Jaggu! Do I need to change the pressure if I am just carrying around 1-2 kgs in the top box? Will look out for a smaller Givi top box with a lesser capacity which I can use on a daily basis.
Old 16th November 2019, 00:36   #22
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Got these delivered through a friend yesterday - OE Triumph fork. Will install them myself tomorrow. Got a pair of the front footpeg rubber too and a 1:18 scale model of the Tiger XRX.

I have a question for all detailing experts. The aluminium top box has a lot of swirl marks, minor scratches and some stains. Is there any particular polish / rubbing compound that I can use to get rid of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-psx_20191116_001509.jpg  

v12 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th November 2019, 02:16   #23
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

I would like to start off this post by saying "Thank You Givi".

Why? I had ordered the Triumph specific BF02 tank bag ring to mount the Givi ST602 onto the Tigers tank. Ordered it on Revzilla - the pic on the site shows the tank ring kit as well as the flange. But when the order came, I noticed it only had the tank ring. Without the flange, I couldn't mount the bag. I emailed Revzilla to check and they clarified that the Ring kit does not contain the flange and that the flange is universal and comes along with the tank bag.

That's when I realised that when I had got the Tank bag for the Versys, there was some part that was given in 2 numbers. I was hoping it would be the flange - opened up my bag and was glad to find that it was the flange indeed. They had included an extra flange with the bag.

Thank you Givi!

Anyways, finally mounted the tank ring / flange on the bike. Haven't fitted the bag yet - but will use that for our short ride tomorrow. A tank bag is much more convenient than a tail bag. You don't have to get off the bike or strain your back to open it. I normall pack my wallet, documents, inflator kit and mobile phone into the bag.

Here are the fitting instructions which maybe helpful.

Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-picsart_111608.15.49.jpg

Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-picsart_111701.51.37.jpg

Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-picsart_111701.55.52.jpg

Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-picsart_111701.58.13.jpg

Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-psx_20191117_015935.jpg

Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-psx_20191117_020014.jpg

Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-psx_20191117_020115.jpg
v12 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 09:55   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
I would like to start off this post by saying "Thank You Givi".

Why? I had ordered the Triumph specific BF02 tank bag ring to mount the Givi ST602 onto the Tigers tank.
Nice one mate, loved the way you put up your long due affair with Tiger which finally come true.
I was out of bikes for almost 3 years before falling in love with Tiger XCX in 2016 and the saga continued with many long, short rides, and still counting.
BTW even I got the same Givi ST 605 tank bag with Givi S111 USB charger and Givi S110 power suppl, amazing it is specially during rainy days, all stuff will be charged inside the bag.
Attached Thumbnails
Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-69829827_10219857060716344_392606765868384256_o.jpg  

Last edited by Ajaybiz : 18th November 2019 at 09:59.
Ajaybiz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 11:18   #25
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Ajay, loved your tank bag too. Our bags are different - mine is a ST602 while yours is a ST605. Reason why I went for the ST602 is because you have the phone holder inside. I sacrificed the additional space for the home holder thinking it will be useful. The only problem I face with it is that the phone gets super heated inside the slot.

Could you post more details and pics of the Givi power supply that you have installed. And obviously more pics of your beast and accessories installed.
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 12:56   #26
BANNED

Oh yeah all confusing numbers even I tried once that mobile pouch as attached pic but my mobile shut itself after few kms due to overheat, never used after that, must be good during rainy days.
Below is the list of accessories I have installed on the bike.
Accessories list:
1. SW Motech Sidestand Foot
2. RAM Mount for plus size Phones
3. Triumph Tank pad
4. Triumph Radiator Guard
5. Triumph Head lamp guard
6. Triumph Fork protector
7. Triumph Duffle bag
8. SW Motech DIN Adapter
9. Rox Pivoting Handlebar Risers
10. Universal Dual USB Adapter
11. Hepco & Beckar Tank Guard
12. Barkbusters with DRL & Turn indicator LED's
13. Baja Designs squadron pro aux lamp with SW Motech clamps and Triumph AUX lamp switch
14. Puig tall windshield screen with air deflector
15. Hepco & Beckar Top Box
16. Pre airbox UNI filter
17. Denali sound bomb split horn
18. Arrow exhaust
19. Innovv dash camera
20. Triumph performance Aluminium gear shifter
21. Triumph CNC offroad foot pegs
22. Triumph Chassis protector
23. Triumph LED indicators
25. Triumph swing arm pivot covers
That's all I remember.
Attached Thumbnails
Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-56739295_10218601736614026_2322622441416818688_o.jpg  

Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-56614043_10218601736894033_4564270313918955520_o.jpg  

Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-56757550_10218595946469276_7190013903361802240_n.jpg  

Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-56857767_10218595946149268_1381444890382041088_o.jpg  

Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-15995215_10211563325458146_9184256554366521013_o.jpg  

Ajaybiz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th November 2019, 13:20   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12 View Post
Thanks for the tip Jaggu! Do I need to change the pressure if I am just carrying around 1-2 kgs in the top box?
For minor loads you don't have to worry about changing air pressure. If I remember correct Triumph does not have any alternate air pressure for carrying luggage or pillion riders. Only suspension settings are needed to be tweaked based on load carried.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2019, 15:29   #28
BHPian

Congratulations, v12 for the Tiger!

I love the color of your motorcycle, it looks resplendent in white. The Tiger left a lasting impression on me when I saw it in-person. The size can be really intimidating for those who haven't ridden it. It has more than enough power than can be laid down on the tarmac and in fact, one would be more comfortable riding at 3-digit speeds on the Tiger than say a naked/super-sport motorcycle.

Wish you all the best with the new machine and ride safe!

PS: as suggested by Nilesh5417, let's plan a meet of Pune/Mumbai rider BHPians at Lonavala sometime. Would be fun to meet the people behind the handles and of course their machines.
GoBlue is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2019, 01:46   #29
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

@Ajaybiz - that's a nice long exhaustive list. Thanks for the list and the pics.

@Jaggu - Thanks for the advice. Will try it out next time.

@GoBlue - Thank you very much for the wishes. Yes the Tiger looks good in white - and the good part is this is a pearluscent white. Looks good especially in the night. If you are not used to a tall heavy motorcycle - it does feel very intimidating. But a short ride and that changes to comforting.

I am good for a Lonavala ride - I guess it's being planned for Dec, right? Yeah, will be good to catch-up.

Anyways, I had mentioned this when I had the Versys and will mention this now too. The tank bag is such a boon - got it installed on my last ride - a short one, but nevertheless. I used to carry a hydration bag before the tank bag. It isn't too heavy but it's definitely additional weight on your back (especially when you have a back problem). Now I have started keeping 2 small mini bottles of water in the bag - and then whenever I feel throaty, just stop over at the side, take my helmet off and drink. Feels a bit fresh also. Believe me it's an amazing investment.

Here are some pics of the Tiger with the tank bag installed.

Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-picsart_112501.30.10.jpg

Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-psx_20191117_125353.jpg

Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-picsart_112501.36.42.jpg

I also managed to clean the top box with some soap and some kitchen cleaners. The top box is now clean - but it still has minor scratches and swirl marks. Will probably get it machine polished on the weekend and see if it goes away.

Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-photogrid_1573909836955.jpg

Got something to pamper the Tiger - an OE Triumph adjustable high mounted windscreen kit (US). I am not sure how this windscreen kit is different from the Indian/UK one - since the shape looks the same and both are adjustable.
Hobbes, my 2015 Triumph Tiger 800 XRX | EDIT: Now sold-img20191115wa0011.jpg
v12 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2019, 13:10   #30
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, wanted to check if anyone using a top box on their motorcycle is facing rattling problems. I have been using the top box regularly to carry my bag to office (along with my lunch and breakfast). What I have noticed and find very irritating is that there is a lot of rattling from the top box / rack whenever I go on even small bumps. I have never faced this issue on the Versys (where I had a Givi rack) or the KTM (where I have a rack installed). I understand that the GIVI Aluminium Top Box Rack is a sliding rack and not a rigid rack that I had on the Versys - could that be the reason why the top box rattles.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks