Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2020, 23:30   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: New 1100cc Honda Africa Twin coming soon. Edit: Launched at 15.35 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Freaking mental to be spending that kind of money on this bike I don’t think the GS is too far off, and for someone who has that kind of money to splash on a weekend hobby at best, I don’t think gives a damn about service costs.

But still, with all bikes sold - wow, what am I not seeing that others are?
And as far as sales figures go, they are not doing bad at all.

Indian Two Wheeler Sales Figures – FY2020

Honda sold 51 Africa Twins in FY2019 and 62 in FY2020.
Old 30th June 2020, 23:56   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
There is a DCT variant on display at the Big Wing Honda dealership in Gurgaon, looks very impressive in black !

Here's one click of the same, apologies for the poor framing.
This is one crazy good looking color scheme. A guy in the Honda group got it and shared pictures. What an awesome color combination. Gloss black with Gold Rims.

Rachit
Old 1st July 2020, 00:12   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Slightly offtopic but Honda has one of the worst sales and marketing team OR they really don't care if they sell big bikes or not. Maybe lil harsh but I really mean it from my heart, forget the pricing, but even their attitude has a long way to go before it becomes desirable.

Last time around also the same thing happened, I was genuinely taken aback by the attitude of the dealer here in BLR, in spite of placing request they never bothered to even give a callback or offer a test ride.
Firstly, the premium bikes have a very low sales target for HMSI. 20 units a month for the 650F/R and 50 units a year for the AT. This is mostly down to them waiting to expand the Silverwing dealerships across the country pre Covid era which now seems to be in doubt as the economy is in shambles.

Secondly, a contact I know who has a good connect with the Bengaluru dealership has just recently told me that they are considering dropping the premium bike business altogether as they don't seem to be making any profit out of the deal with the manufacturer. Apparently they're unhappy about having to foot the bill for the Rides they have to organize from their own pockets.

He even casually mentioned that a new Silverwing dealership might arrive in Bengaluru.
Not sure how accurate this information is so if any Bengaluru 650/AT/300R owners can verify it would be helpful.
Nithesh_M is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2020, 13:42   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nithesh_M View Post
Apparently they're unhappy about having to foot the bill for the Rides they have to organize from their own pockets.
Not sure where this is coming from, but honestly I haven't seen too many rides 'organized' by the dealership in the first place. Sure, the sales SPOC used to ride with the group on some morning/breakfast rides, but nothing I know of was sponsored by the dealership, except one visit to the HMSI plant at Hoskote near Bangalore and one 'delivery' event of a Fireblade and Goldwing.

Quote:
He even casually mentioned that a new Silverwing dealership might arrive in Bengaluru.
Not sure how accurate this information is so if any Bengaluru 650/AT/300R owners can verify it would be helpful.
I know for a fact that the existing KA dealership was expected to invest in the Silverwing dealership and the locations for the dealership as well as the service center were finalized and published as well. However, post-Covid I'm not sure how much of these will materialize.

Last edited by Added_flavor : 1st July 2020 at 13:45.
Added_flavor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th July 2020, 14:25   #50
BHPian

A friend and senior rider from Pune - Shakil is the lucky owner of the first Africa Twin 1100 Adventure Sports DCT in Maharashtra.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCqEvIug..._web_copy_link

He took the delivery with fellow bhpian Happysmlies who has the previous generation Africa Twin DCT.
Here's some pics for you to enjoy!

In all its glory!
New 1100cc Honda Africa Twin coming soon. Edit: Launched at 15.35 lakhs-1100-side-view.jpg

With Happysmiles' AT 1000. Loads of accessories on the 1000 - Clearwater lights, Mosko Moto soft panniers, V stream large wind-screen, handlebar risers, barkbusters, outex converted tubeless tires, etc.
New 1100cc Honda Africa Twin coming soon. Edit: Launched at 15.35 lakhs-1100-1000-side-view.jpg

New 1100cc Honda Africa Twin coming soon. Edit: Launched at 15.35 lakhs-1100-1000.jpg

Here's how the cockpit looks..
New 1100cc Honda Africa Twin coming soon. Edit: Launched at 15.35 lakhs-1100-cockpit.jpg

I like this small badge
New 1100cc Honda Africa Twin coming soon. Edit: Launched at 15.35 lakhs-adventure-sports-rear.jpg

A closer look at the engine
New 1100cc Honda Africa Twin coming soon. Edit: Launched at 15.35 lakhs-engine-dct.jpg

Front view
New 1100cc Honda Africa Twin coming soon. Edit: Launched at 15.35 lakhs-front-eyes.jpg

Rear view
New 1100cc Honda Africa Twin coming soon. Edit: Launched at 15.35 lakhs-1100-rear-view.jpg

The switchgears are impressive. Almost like a car's controls. Left switchgear has paddle shifters for upshift and downshift. The button with 'minus' sign for downshift. Upshift is where you normally have the pass switch (correct me if I'm wrong)
New 1100cc Honda Africa Twin coming soon. Edit: Launched at 15.35 lakhs-left-switchgear.jpg

Right switch. Starting from top - engine start / stop (kill switch), drive and neutral selector, cruise control.
New 1100cc Honda Africa Twin coming soon. Edit: Launched at 15.35 lakhs-right-switchgear.jpg

The new bike comes with a host of things which you can control and the display is magnificent. Its like apple car play.
New 1100cc Honda Africa Twin coming soon. Edit: Launched at 15.35 lakhs-console-1.jpg

New 1100cc Honda Africa Twin coming soon. Edit: Launched at 15.35 lakhs-console-2.jpg

New 1100cc Honda Africa Twin coming soon. Edit: Launched at 15.35 lakhs-console-3.jpg

New 1100cc Honda Africa Twin coming soon. Edit: Launched at 15.35 lakhs-console-4.jpg

New 1100cc Honda Africa Twin coming soon. Edit: Launched at 15.35 lakhs-console-5.jpg

Parting shot - the Africa Twin brothers
New 1100cc Honda Africa Twin coming soon. Edit: Launched at 15.35 lakhs-sujat-shakil.jpg
nitrogary is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2020, 09:40   #51
Senior - BHPian

Well I spoke to the lone dealer in NCR at Gurgaon. They offered Zero discounts, had NO test ride bike, no android auto planned and they expected us to shell out 17 lacs upfront and wait for 2-3 months and they will oblige us by delivering the bike.

Nice Sales Strategy Honda. Lolz.

Cheers...
dkaile is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2020, 20:02   #52
BHPian

Wow a roll off showroom that could have gone completely wrong.

ask_017 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 10:37   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask_017 View Post
It has already gone wrong. Is he going to pay for damage to those steps? What an idiot.
ast.ggn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 19:02   #54
Senior - BHPian

The bash plate lived up to its name then.
Nithesh_M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 19:27   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
It has already gone wrong. Is he going to pay for damage to those steps? What an idiot.
It must be after confirmation from the dealership. It’s not as if he ran away from a place. Dealership is the one to get penalized. Hope they learn.

Quote:
The bash plate lived up to its name then.
Absolutely
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2020, 19:50   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ast.ggn View Post
Will be covered in the first service cost in all likelihood
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 14:48   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask_017 View Post
Ok, I will go against the wave here. I thought that this was quite a dramatic and nice way to ride-out an adventure bike off the showroom. It would have been a perfect execution of the same, but for the 'small' issue of the tiles breaking. I would not blame the rider, the stock set up of the compression damping of front forks was too soft. Ideally, this should have been adjusted by the showroom folks before the bike was given off to attempt this ride-out. It is easily done. The reduced ground clearance of 4 cms, in the 2020 Africa twin - Adventure sport, would have added to the issue. At least now we know that the bash plate does its job.

This is not the first time someone has done this, and I guess this won't be the last. I have a couple of other videos from my biking groups, wherein the same has been done by another Africa twin 2019 model and also a BMW- GS, without any issues. Why not have a bit of added fun when riding out ones dream bike, eh?. Video becoming viral is an added bonus.

Cheerio!
alphadog is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th July 2020, 12:12   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Though not an offroader by any stretch of the imagination, I believe the rider in question also carried too much speed which led to not enough time being given to the suspension to rebound properly. That is when the bash plate gets called into action, to my largely untrained eye.

Anyways, the showroom gave permission for the bike to be ridden out in that manner, let them think about the costs of fixing the tiles. As they old saying goes, any publicity is good publicity!
neil.jericho is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th October 2020, 19:13   #59
Senior - BHPian

Supercharged Honda Africa Twin revealed in patent filings.

New 1100cc Honda Africa Twin coming soon. Edit: Launched at 15.35 lakhs-smartselect_20201009190807_chrome.jpg

New 1100cc Honda Africa Twin coming soon. Edit: Launched at 15.35 lakhs-smartselect_20201009190814_chrome.jpg

New 1100cc Honda Africa Twin coming soon. Edit: Launched at 15.35 lakhs-smartselect_20201009190756_chrome.jpg

Quote:
The supercharged engine is based on the existing Africa Twin's 1,084 cc, 101 bhp parallel-twin engine, but the addition of the supercharger is likely to change the engine's personality completely. The Africa Twin's 1,084 cc, parallel-twin features a Unicam design, with a single overhead camshaft operating four valves per cylinder. The system designed by Honda shows a twin-screw design, which moves a fixed amount of air with each rotation and geared from the crankshaft. And it gives the same amount of boost pressure delivered to the cylinders from idle all the way to high revs. This design makes for a flat torque curve, which is ideal for an adventure bike, rather than opting for a peak boost which centrifugal type superchargers like the one on the Kawasaki H2 uses.
https://www.carandbike.com/news/supe...ilings-2307756
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 19:20   #60
BHPian

Honda Africa Twin DCT Automatic

ManneAtWheelz is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks