Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2020, 16:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: My Triumph Street Twin

Hearty review luthfudeen. My brief experience with the Thruxton and Street Triple, I can vouch for Triumph's smoothness. But the real cream of the pie lies with their twins, they are a class apart.

I have a similar experience with the marks on the exhaust. The solution is easy, warm up the exhausts mildly and use little kerosene or diesel dabbed on a scotchbrite and start scrubbing, it works. Be EXTREMELY x 2x careful as it can still be hot, it idea is to keep it warm. It eventually does require some muscling, but if you can it works wonders.

Ride safe!

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 16:34   #17
BHPian

Lovely review! I loved the Street Twin and my friend bought one which allowed me to take it for a spin. Alas it was a bit too small for for my height and girth but that engine was a gem. So easy to ride and so much low down torque. Don't worry too much about the ground clearance. Almost all big cc bikes have ground clearance issues except for the scramblers and big adv bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amods View Post
Great bike, congratulations for the new ride ! Why didn't you try the Versys 650?
The Versys 650 would be a pain to ride in city traffic especially for someone not very tall.
bf1983 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 17:23   #18
BANNED

Congratulations on this Great Bike. Even I wanted to go for it. I have a Dominar now. The bike is doing great for my needs.

Any information you can share on the new dealer Khivraj? Service costs etc. I was told that Triumphs are heavy on service costs.
ramvenky74 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 17:48   #19
BHPian

Re: Likes and Dislikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by luthfudeen View Post
What I Don't:
  1. Engine heat in heavy traffic, especially when the radiator fan kicks in.
Congratulations on the sweet ride. This bike and colour is my favourite.

How much heat does it produce in say 30 mins of heavy traffic? Uncomfortable or unbearable?
evil_grin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 17:49   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by amods View Post
Great bike, congratulations for the new ride ! Why didn't you try the Versys 650?
Thanks! The Versys is tall and big for the city. No doubt it can munch kilometres on the highway, but I don't think I can live with it as a daily driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Didn’t you give a try on W800 from Kawasaki? It does seem similar to Street twin, isn’t it?
The W800 costs about half a lakh more than the Street Twin and is way underpowered. It really didn't excite me much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
I have a similar experience with the marks on the exhaust. The solution is easy, warm up the exhausts mildly and use little kerosene or diesel dabbed on a scotchbrite and start scrubbing, it works.
Thanks for the tip! Triumph's entire line up is drool worthy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post
Don't worry too much about the ground clearance. Almost all big cc bikes have ground clearance issues except for the scramblers and big adv bikes.
Yea! Once you get used to the clearance and be mindful of the lines you're picking, low GC ain't much of a problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvenky74 View Post
Any information you can share on the new dealer Khivraj? Service costs etc. I was told that Triumphs are heavy on service costs.
Dominar has a fantastic exhaust sound! My first service came around Rs.8000. It was just an oil and filter change mainly and a bike wash. I don't know much about Khivraj. Having multiple brand showrooms and dealerships including Bajaj, I think they must do a good job. Hopefully. Every Triumph showroom is routed to Delhi Triumph for some reason. The Chennai showroom should be opening up pretty soon.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 11th May 2020 at 18:04. Reason: Back to back posts
Old 11th May 2020, 18:27   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvenky74 View Post
Congratulations on this Great Bike. Even I wanted to go for it. I have a Dominar now. The bike is doing great for my needs.

Yes they are heavy on costs. More than say Kawasaki. First service cost of my Z650 was 5k while for Triumph it was 8k for my friend. If you do the major service you can pay 20k also for consumables. And God help you if you have an accident as the cost of repair can be astronomical. But if you maintain your bike well it will last you a long time and the cost of service while high should be factored in that you are riding a high performance machine
bf1983 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 18:42   #22
Senior - BHPian

Great read your thread was. I was about to buy this and then settled for a lesser budget as was not sure about the budget to plonk on uncertainty of me riding since I have had a near gap of 18 years from my college days.

I impulsively brought a RE GT650 and then the virus happened. I have ridden for around 250 kms only and aching to go and ride it on the expressway.

2 or 3 years down the line I will buy a Triumph.

However your Twin does look absolutely smashing.
vkochar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 21:36   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_grin View Post
How much heat does it produce in say 30 mins of heavy traffic? Uncomfortable or unbearable?
It is definitely uncomfortable. But no where near unbearable. And once you start moving at a considerable pace (more than 40kmph), you no longer feel the heat. There have been several times I felt like turning off the engine and stopping for a while, but I did that only once because the traffic was literally crawling. The effect may vary in colder cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
I impulsively brought a RE GT650 and then the virus happened. I have ridden for around 250 kms only and aching to go and ride it on the expressway.

2 or 3 years down the line I will buy a Triumph.
With the GT650, you’re not missing out on much! You should definitely check out the Speed Twin, maybe after a test ride, you might buy it earlier
luthfudeen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 23:13   #24
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations, my friend.

It really fits the bill for - one bike for all purposes. I got back to biking after 8-10 years of hiatus last year, and (re)started my journey with the Bonnie Street Twin

QQ - Twin accessories are a bit difficult to come by. Where did you get your sump guard, among other stuff
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 23:35   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
QQ - Twin accessories are a bit difficult to come by. Where did you get your sump guard, among other stuff
Thank you! I can’t really talk about dealer availability of accessories because the Chennai dealer was just a few weeks from shutting down for good, so they didn’t have much useful accessories in stock.

The Sump Guard I bought it from the Chennai dealer, the fender extension (which I’m yet to install) I bought it in Malaysia and the number plate relocation kit from Moto Usher online. The dealer only had the sump guard available at the time and did not have the engine guard and grab rail that I wanted. ZANA makes an engine guard which should save the bike from spills but looks too ‘cagey’. I’m planning to get luggage racks and grab rails from them later.
Old 12th May 2020, 10:07   #26
D3A

Quote:
I've read mixed reviews about the tires. Personally for me, it works well. I am planning to change to the Scorpion Trail 2 till the end of the stock tire's life. It's sad that there's not many options to choose for the front wheel! I wanted to ask, does your seat have a small, side to side play near the tank?
The stock tyres have a tendency to follow tar lines/ irregularities on the road and hence compromise on stability. Moreover they lose traction on the slightest gravel. The tyre problem is well recognised on street twin ownership forums.

Regarding the seat, I never noticed the play but after reading your comment I went to my garage and yes, the seat does have some side to side play near the tank if I push it sideways. However i have never noticed it moving when i ride the bike, so no problem there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
On the contrary, essential accessories for the street twin and other triumph modern classics are easily available, that too cheaper and better quality. No need to buy overpriced accessories from Triumph. I am not sure if posting links to those workshops is allowed here, so please DM .
Old 12th May 2020, 10:19   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you! I can’t really talk about dealer availability of accessories because the Chennai dealer was just a few weeks from shutting down for good, so they didn’t have much useful accessories in stock.

The Sump Guard I bought it from the Chennai dealer, the fender extension (which I’m yet to install) I bought it in Malaysia and the number plate relocation kit from Moto Usher online. The dealer only had the sump guard available at the time and did not have the engine guard and grab rail that I wanted. ZANA makes an engine guard which should save the bike from spills but looks too ‘cagey’. I’m planning to get luggage racks and grab rails from them later.
By dealer, you mean OEM Triumph? I’ve found the Triumph accessories to be super expensive..let me try Zana. Have you also got something from AliExpresss?
Old 12th May 2020, 11:20   #28
BHPian

Quote:
[*]The engine is butter smooth and you have more than enough power for our cities and highways.

Congratulations on getting the twin. triumphs look lovely in flesh, no wonder about bees forming beeline.

Can you do a how smooth comparison with following? Is this more refined than Classic 500 and IC650. Or Can you compare the engine refinement with other Japanese twin engines like Z650? (My heart is set on z650 and that is the reason i ask)

Quote:
[b][*]Spares and service availability (at least in Chennai right now).
How is the service and spare cost?
Old 12th May 2020, 13:06   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsumoto View Post
Can you do a how smooth comparison with following? Is this more refined than Classic 500 and IC650. Or Can you compare the engine refinement with other Japanese twin engines like Z650? (My heart is set on z650 and that is the reason i ask)
I have the Z650 and while I love the bike to bits it's not the smoothest engine. The bike has a buzz around the 4k rpm mark and while the engine smoothens out after a good amount of running in I felt the Triumph Twin I rode was a bit smoother. Not a lot of in my short ride I thought it was. If your budget touches the street twin you should try out the Z900 as well. Similar price and the new Z900 has modes to help tune down the power for city riding which makes it much more useful than before.

Service wise kawasaki is a bit cheaper but honestly when you are spending so much on a bike the differences in service cost are negligible and shouldn't really be a factor. Unless of course you are considering the RE 650. That is significantly cheaper to maintain than either the Kawasaki or the Triumph. But reliability, build quality and refinement are not as good compared to the Kawasaki or Triumph.
bf1983 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 15:51   #30
BHPian

Congratulations on your new bike! Why didn't you consider 1200 CC speed twin sibling? Its more feature packed with better brakes. And I think dimension wise, its almost of the same size.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks