Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2020, 22:09   #16
Team-BHP Support

Every 1.5 lakh difference is a new price point and a different budget. I do think the RS will have more takers but the R should have its own market too. It's getting more and more dodgy on pricing though for these capable twins. They really need to keep pricing in check now to keep this in sensible territory.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 10:52   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Triumph Street Triple R to be launched in June 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
It's going to be interesting for sure. The time for my down payment is rapidly approaching and now there are three bikes in the mix Z900 and two Striples. Wish the test rides were available in Bangalore. No idea which way I'll go in the end.

Right now I'm questioning the point of a Striple R in India. Wouldn't the RS be more desirable to the large majority of potential customers? How price sensitive would someone be who is willing to spend 10-15 Lakhs on a bike? Wouldn't a typical shopper find a bike they like and just work towards buying it?
Interesting questions, you will be surprised by the number of buyers who tilted towards the Z800 / pre BS6 Z900 for the extra cyclinder and much lower price as compared to the Street Triple 675 / 765 (forget the RS) respectively. So pricing plays a huge role, especially in this 4 cylinder vs 3 cylinder decision, as it can seem like you are getting a whole lot of bike for less money with the Kawasakis.

Also the RS gets a whole bunch of parts that are top of the line and worthy of a true sports bike but they can be an overkill for regular weekend use with no track days. For example, the adjustable suspension on the RS is truly fantastic if you are corner carving regularly and want to take it to the race track but in the real world, it is way too stiff for regular Indian roads and my weight. The Brembos on the RS are truly one finger braking wonders, the best that I have experienced on any bike, but do you need one finger braking for regular usage of an enthusiast? I'm not downplaying the RS at all, it is a fantastic all round motorcycle but Im just saying that the brilliance comes with a price that many find steep.

Basically, there is a niche for the base version of the Street Triple, there is another niche for the premium RS and there is a big niche for the Z900. Triumph has erred on the steep pricing of most of it's motorcycles which reduces the appeal of their bikes to many shoppers whereas Kawasaki's aggressive pricing has swung many buyers towards team green. All three are great bikes, honestly you cant go wrong with any of them.
neil.jericho is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 6th August 2020, 11:41   #18
VRJ
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Interesting questions, you will be surprised by the number of buyers who tilted towards the Z800 / pre BS6 Z900 for the extra cyclinder and much lower price as compared to the Street Triple 675 / 765 (forget the RS) respectively. So pricing plays a huge role, especially in this 4 cylinder vs 3 cylinder decision, as it can seem like you are getting a whole lot of bike for less money with the Kawasakis.

Basically, there is a niche for the base version of the Street Triple, there is another niche for the premium RS and there is a big niche for the Z900. Triumph has erred on the steep pricing of most of it's motorcycles which reduces the appeal of their bikes to many shoppers whereas Kawasaki's aggressive pricing has swung many buyers towards team green. All three are great bikes, honestly you cant go wrong with any of them.

Yes, i totally agree to what you said. Pricing is key. I’ve personally seen the purchase dilemma of three of my friends. Two of them initially considered the Street Triple RS and it was their number one option on their list, while Z900 was the second option. Since we don’t have a Triumph showroom here in Vizag, they flew all the way to Hyderabad for a test drive and they fell in love with how the bike performed. However, the only hindrance was the price of the RS. Although they tried negotiating, the discount wasn’t just enough. Next, they test drove the Z900 and Ninja 1000, they were not only very happy with the bikes performance, they even got fantastic deals (BS4 discounts). I believe the price paid a crucial factor in the decision making process. One got the Z900 and the other got a Ninja 1000. The third friend straight up went and got the Z900 (BS6) and didn’t even bother going for a test drive of the Triumph because his Kwacker friends told him it’s not worth it. I believe word of mouth is strong when it comes to the premium segment. Another strong reason for getting the Kawasaki is because we have a dealer here in Vizag, so service is sorted.

As you’ve said, the RS is an exceptional bike with top of the line components. However, is it worth it if you’re riding the bike on normal roads and for breakfast drives? Logically no, but if you have deep pockets, then go for it. For the average joe out there, the updated Z900 is a great package. By the way, this is the opinion of my friends who got the above mentioned bikes, not mine.

Cheers!!
VRJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2020, 16:59   #19
BHPian

Quote:

So I am in the same dilemma. I hope to be test riding or getting a ride on both the bikes this week. The Z900 is holding sway over the mind. The Striple over the heart. At the end of the day, I wonder how much pricing is going to truly affect my decision as much as which bike I like more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
Yes, i totally agree to what you said. Pricing is key. I’ve personally seen the purchase dilemma of three of my friends. Two of them initially considered the Street Triple RS and it was their number one option on their list, while Z900 was the second option. Since we don’t have a Triumph showroom here in Vizag, they flew all the way to Hyderabad for a test drive and they fell in love with how the bike performed. However, the only hindrance was the price of the RS. Although they tried negotiating, the discount wasn’t just enough. Next, they test drove the Z900 and Ninja 1000, they were not only very happy with the bikes performance, they even got fantastic deals (BS4 discounts). I believe the price paid a crucial factor in the decision making process. One got the Z900 and the other got a Ninja 1000. The third friend straight up went and got the Z900 (BS6) and didn’t even bother going for a test drive of the Triumph because his Kwacker friends told him it’s not worth it. I believe word of mouth is strong when it comes to the premium segment. Another strong reason for getting the Kawasaki is because we have a dealer here in Vizag, so service is sorted.

By the way, this is the opinion of my friends who got the above mentioned bikes, not mine.

Cheers!!
BS4 pricing on in stock Striples before the BS6 norms was terrible . No ways would I have bought one. The Z900 pricing was superb and I feel like an idiot for not buying it then. I was in two minds and decided to hold out. This is a huge expense for me, one that I am very hesitant about, and yet, I am considering the Triumph, just because it has been my dream bike for years now.
Ninja 1000 is out of question for me due to its weight. If the Z900RS were a sensible price, I'd probably buy that. My use case seems to be similar to your friends with some light touring thrown in once or twice a year.
imp! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 12:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

Triumph Street Triple R Launched In India, priced at Rs. 8.84 Lakh. Bookings are open now

Rumour: Triumph Street Triple R to be launched in June 2020-20200811_120631.jpg

Rumour: Triumph Street Triple R to be launched in June 2020-20200811_120643.jpg

https://www.carandbike.com/news/triu...4-lakh-2277514
Venkatesh is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 13:06   #21
VRJ
BHPian

Quote:
The Z900 pricing was superb and I feel like an idiot for not buying it then. I was in two minds and decided to hold out. This is a huge expense for me, one that I am very hesitant about, and yet, I am considering the Triumph, just because it has been my dream bike for years now.
My use case seems to be similar to your friends with some light touring thrown in once or twice a year.
I think the new Street Triple R released right on time for you. As far as I know, you loose the fancy new instrument cluster, you get smaller brakes, a tiny drop in power. The R retains the showa adjustable dampers, bi-direction shifter, and three riding modes. It is priced very well and close to the Z900. Since it has been your dream since ever and you consider this a big expense, I recommend you go for R instead of the RS or the Z900 as you don’t intent to take the bike to the track. The R is more than capable enough to handle touring and breakfast rides. The last thing you want happening is you driving your Z900 and regretting not getting a Street Triple whenever you see one. However, I’d recommend you to wait for the corona virus to die down before going in for big purchases. I personally post poned a car upgrade to 2021. We live in uncertain times and it’ll be impossible to resist the temptation to drive if you get one now. Stay home stay safe. If you can, wait until the year end, you might get discounts as well. All the best in your hunt and do start an ownership thread when you get one!

Cheers!!
VRJ is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 13:55   #22
BHPian

Brilliant pricing! At this price the Street triple makes more sense than the Z900. Unless you really really love in line 4 engines or lack a triumph service center near your residence.

The R has basically similar power levels as Kawasaki z900 but in a much lighter package.
bf1983 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 14:23   #23
BHPian

Brilliant pricing, Triumph really wants to make this work. It undercuts RS by 2.49 L and is even cheaper than outgoing S. Kawasaki is going to have some trouble selling Z900 now.
ast.ggn is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 17:56   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
I think the new Street Triple R released right on time for you. As far as I know, you loose the fancy new instrument cluster, you get smaller brakes, a tiny drop in power. The R retains the showa adjustable dampers, bi-direction shifter, and three riding modes. It is priced very well and close to the Z900. I recommend you go for R instead of the RS or the Z900 as you don’t intent to take the bike to the track. The R is more than capable enough to handle touring and breakfast rides. The last thing you want happening is you driving your Z900 and regretting not getting a Street Triple whenever you see one. All the best in your hunt and do start an ownership thread when you get one!

Cheers!!
Thanks for the advice bro. I am extremely tempted by the R model. While I don't care for the Triumph TFT screen with their current modes, there is the hope they change it. I would definitely want to add a belly pan and bar end mirrors to the bike. So the price difference does come down by that much. I would track it, but really can't make a decision based on something that would happen maybe once or twice a year at the most. Don't know which way to go right now. Can I afford the RS? Sure, after all I have planned for it. Should I bother when I can save a bunch of cash on the R? That I'm not so sure about.
Old 11th August 2020, 18:28   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Can I afford the RS? Sure, after all I have planned for it. Should I bother when I can save a bunch of cash on the R? That I'm not so sure about.
It is a conundrum based on the pricing and if you ask me the price difference between R and RS is not how much the RS surpasses the R by.

However, bikes and cars are beyond plain maths. Buy the RS and you'll smile a long time. Buy the R and you will always turn and look at the RS, wondering, ... what if.
Axe77 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 19:21   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
It is a conundrum based on the pricing and if you ask me the price difference between R and RS is not how much the RS surpasses the R by.

However, bikes and cars are beyond plain maths. Buy the RS and you'll smile a long time. Buy the R and you will always turn and look at the RS, wondering, ... what if.
If some one wants to take an informed decision in choosing between the two, the best thing is to do a proper TR of both R and RS. While the specs for RS look better, how effectively they are going to be used for street riding depends on the rider. Few things that may not be in favour of RS for street riding are :-
A) stiff suspension of RS
B) slightly aggressive riding position in RS

The other thing is the seat height adjustment that can be done for R for shorter riders.

Of course if some one is in deep love with RS, his heart should win over the mind
shan_ned is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 21:54   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, Triumph has come up with a pleasant surprise with the pricing, kudos to them. Yes kawasaki is going to come up with a counter plan, otherwise this looks like a better pick then the Kawi. Triumph as a brand also has a better desirability.

This bike will definitely sell, and we will sell lots of them once COVID subsides. Best of Luck to Triumph, if i was in a market for a Naked bike, this would have been on top of my list.
AtheK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 00:26   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

I happened to see the new Street Triple R at the local Triumph dealership, while dropping my bike off for service. Wow, it is really difficult to differentiate it from the bigger and more expensive RS at a distance! I actually thought that I was looking at the BS6 RS at first and then I noticed the half analogue, half digital clocks on the bike.

With the older S, there werent any stickers on the bike and the colours were exclusive, so it was easy to differentiate the S and the RS. Not so with the current R and RS.

On road prices are Rs 11.8L for the R and Rs 14.8L for the RS in Kerala.

Rumour: Triumph Street Triple R to be launched in June 2020-20200914_110351.jpg
R? RS? R? RS?

Rumour: Triumph Street Triple R to be launched in June 2020-20200914_110445.jpg
Definitely the R. If I owned one, I would just add an S sticker on it.

Rumour: Triumph Street Triple R to be launched in June 2020-20200914_110643.jpg
To make it look like this RS!

Rumour: Triumph Street Triple R to be launched in June 2020-20200914_110453.jpg
Older clocks on the R.

Rumour: Triumph Street Triple R to be launched in June 2020-20200914_110649.jpg
New gen digital dash on the RS.

Rumour: Triumph Street Triple R to be launched in June 2020-20200914_110514.jpg
This is what adhering to Euro 5 norms looks like.
neil.jericho is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 11:04   #29
BHPian

So the R may not be all fun and games as one originally thought. The seat definitely doesn't feel as well made as the RS. In terms of shocks and brakes, the biggest difference is the Showa monoshock, that is a fairly big step down in real world suspension quality from the RS. Not sure how it will play out in real world conditions though. Then there is the paint schemes. The RS seems to have a better put together paint job, but that may be clutching at straws. Additionally, there is a certain amount of feel good factor that needs to play into the decision making process for such a big toy. Given the still fantastic pricing of the Z900, I would probably get the it over the R.

Last edited by imp! : 17th September 2020 at 11:06.
Old 17th September 2020, 12:27   #30
VRJ
BHPian

Review of the Triple R by BikeWale. The review is as expected by us, get the R if you take the bike occasionally on the track and use it on public roads for majority of the time. Get the RS, if you do more track days. However, at the end of day it depends on how deep your pockets are. No matter what variant you get, you’re in for a treat.
https://www.bikewale.com/m/expert-re...iew-50233.html

I was actually planning on purchasing the R, but then the news of the Trident came out. I’m a sedate driver (I know that if I’m a sedate driver, the Triple shouldn’t have been on my list, but I’d rather have a 170kg bike over a 212kg Z900). So, I doubt if the performance between the two will make a big difference for me personally on our great Indian public roads. Zero track days because there’s no damn track in my state. If the Trident’s ergonomics support my 6’2 figure better than the Triple, I might probably go for that.

Quote:
On road prices are Rs 11.8L for the R and Rs 14.8L for the RS in Kerala.

[/b][/center]
11.8L for the R? Are you sure about the pricing? Does that include some accessories or extended warranty or something? Either that or BikeWale on-road figure of 9.8L in Kochi is absolutely wrong. That’s a difference of 2L

Rumour: Triumph Street Triple R to be launched in June 2020-3ac50dbf7f5547528bdebcc87141e277.jpeg

Cheers!
VRJ is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks