Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2024, 23:16   #151
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Dreams do come true : 5 years & 30000 kms with my Triumph Tiger 800 XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
Simply Stunning pics in the last post //M

Wishing you more unlimited smiles and safe travels!
Thank you.

Attaching couple of clicks from the same ride -

Dreams do come true : 5 years & 30000 kms with my Triumph Tiger 800 XR-img_1511.jpeg

Dreams do come true : 5 years & 30000 kms with my Triumph Tiger 800 XR-fullsizerender.jpeg
//M is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 21:08   #152
Senior - BHPian

Was going through this thread and what an interesting ownership journey. I've recently embarked on a journey with the tiger and hoping to have some of the experiences that you have had.

Couldn't find any mention of this issue hence creating a post. Mine is a 2016 XRx done about 29.5Ks. It suffers from a hot start issue which I understand is a starter issue. Triumph Service told me to change the starter which will resolve it. New starter costs about 74K (are you kidding me? Even my Passat's starter wouldn't cost that much!)

Did you face this issue? What is the solution ? Any alternate part that can be sourced in India?

Please advise.

Last edited by Axe77 : 25th March 2024 at 21:32. Reason: Minor typo.
Old 26th March 2024, 00:23   #153
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Was going through this thread and what an interesting ownership journey. I've recently embarked on a journey with the tiger and hoping to have some of the experiences that you have had.

Couldn't find any mention of this issue hence creating a post. Mine is a 2016 XRx done about 29.5Ks. It suffers from a hot start issue which I understand is a starter issue. Triumph Service told me to change the starter which will resolve it. New starter costs about 74K (are you kidding me? Even my Passat's starter wouldn't cost that much!)

Did you face this issue? What is the solution ? Any alternate part that can be sourced in India?

Please advise.
Congratulations MileCruncher. The Tiger 800 is a wonderful choice. Wishing you many happy miles with the big cat !

Regarding the starter issue - the pre 2018 / pre facelift Tiger 800s had the starter motor issue cropping up on multiple motorcycles. Luckily I haven’t faced it (yet) but it is advisable to get it replaced under warranty / extended warranty, if applicable in your case. Else the starter motor is an expensive fix. However, 76 K is just too much. I had a ballpark idea of around 40 K but maybe prices of Triumph spares have gone up in recent times. But still the quoted figure seems really high. You may cross check the same from couple of other Triumph dealers in nearby cities and maybe couple of reliable FNGs too. I am sure it can be replaced at a substantially lower price.
Old 26th March 2024, 08:19   #154
Team-BHP Support

Starter issue was a very common issue indeed for the older Tigers. Perhaps try to see if it’s cheaper to import this part via any friend traveling. On a 7-8 year+ old bike, you can expect such issues to crop up and upkeep of any big superbike will have some significant associated costs coming up from time to time. I’d recommend dealing with this before you embark on any really long ride.

Frankly I found it a bit of a myth that Triumph ownership is cheap. The bikes are reliable and cheaper but not by that much. My last major service on the Tiger was closer to 30-35k IIRC. Their prices had indeed crept up over the years, evidenced even by the significant increase in the pricing of their 2 year AMC packages. For context, my Desmo service on the Multi (which is every 30,000 kms) was relatively a more modest 65k (noting that major service in Triumph would be every alternate year / every 20,000 kms). It may not be Ducati, BMW expensive but it’s not very far behind either.
Old 26th March 2024, 09:50   #155
Senior - BHPian

@Axe77, I knew the punt I was making when I picked up a 8 year old bike. And I was under no false illusion that the maintenance is going to be cheap. I have pegged it at par with my Passat upkeep. Anyways I have seen some parts from China and Ebay - UK, at a fraction of the India quoted price. Let me figure this out.
MileCruncher is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks