Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2020, 20:02   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Harley-Davidson exits India!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
From what I understand, they are closing the factory and production of the Street/ Street Rod as well CKD operations of the other bikes.

As per my known contacts, they will continue to sell CBU models as well spares for the past models.
If that was the case, I doubt Harley would have added the below line, and instead PR would have articulated a full paragraph on their commitment to the market despite the close of manufacturing plant.

Quote:
The Harley-Davidson dealer network will continue to serve customers through the contract term.
Dealership contracts are of 3-5 years term at max, and depending on the timeframe when signed - we are mostly looking at a couple of years maximum. That's not confidence inspiring at all. Looks to me like HD has made clear of their full exit.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 20:20   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Dealership contracts are of 3-5 years term at max, and depending on the timeframe when signed - we are mostly looking at a couple of years maximum. That's not confidence inspiring at all. Looks to me like HD has made clear of their full exit.
Also, in smaller cities like Nagpur, the service and after sales experience was below average at best. Now, I can only imagine how long the lead times for spares are going to be here.

On a totally unrelated not,
For Sale :
2016 XL1200C
Mint Condition
Abhishek3001 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 20:32   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
If that was the case, I doubt Harley would have added the below line, and instead PR would have articulated a full paragraph on their commitment to the market despite the close of manufacturing plant.
CBU taxes are high as I have mentioned. That business model is difficult so they put up the plant and then they suffered first because of GST and later due to emission norms.

The way I see this is that they are currently non-committal. After Toyota and Suzuki, this will be a big News everywhere. Harley enjoys such a large brand recall. Let's watch out for some time how it plays.

Quote:
Dealership contracts are of 3-5 years term at max, and depending on the timeframe when signed - we are mostly looking at a couple of years maximum.
Usually Year to Year. Though it's the unwritten rule that unless something goes wrong drastically, new certificates are issued at start of the Year. Most of the dealerships have invested heavily on showrooms, workshop and manpower. Everything will take a hit, but I am not going to sell my Bike because they are going
Turbanator is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 21:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

Really sad news to hear but the market in India is tough and unfair. Tough because of Royal Enfield , especially after the release of the 650 Twins. I am sure Harley lost a fair share of customers to RE.

Unfair because of our governments high taxation, abrupt regulations and policy changes.

Harley just couldn't handle the heat and after such a huge investment in their Indian plants, if the sales doesn't match up, it's only right they leave. Have to feel sorry for all the customers who trusted the brand and purchased their vehicles though.

I might still purchase a 750 if anyone here is selling it for cheap
stanjohn123 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 21:28   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
They could have worded their statement little differently, perhaps.
Oh yes they really should have reworded their statement.

The first line of the statement clearly said - "Harley-Davidson has decided to discontinue its sales and manufacturing operations in India, as part of restructuring actions that the company refers to as 'The Rewire' strategy."

It was a given manufacturing would stop but they also said sales as well. Since many people have said sales will probably continue at least in big cities thats makes thing a lot better for both existing and future Harley owners.
Old 24th September 2020, 21:55   #21
Team-BHP Support

This has more details, including dealer operations till 31st December.

https://www.cnbctv18.com/auto/harley...ns-7006881.htm

This is what foreign media has to say

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-ha...-idUKKCN26F2AJ

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/harley-d...back-1.1498754

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/bu...ations-501240/

Last edited by Turbanator : 24th September 2020 at 21:58.
Turbanator is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 22:41   #22
Senior - BHPian

As a former Harley Owner, I will not shed a tear. Harleys are hopelessly unsuited for our roads and traffic, their service and spares are ridiculously priced, and the so called "brotherhood" is not even skin deep. experienced that first hand as well as observed vis a vis many other riders. rode the Harley for over two years and 12K kms, then sold it. No regrets.
himanshugoswami is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 22:52   #23
Senior - BHPian

I'm surprised about closing the manufacturing plant. Couldn't they use it for exports and stuff? If I'm not wrong, even GM had their plant open for exports for quite some time.

Or is the age of cheap manufacturing over in India?
Turbohead is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th September 2020, 23:24   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Have said this on another thread and I say it again. It’s amazing how we look at company after company exiting India and still think that we are an attractive market and that everybody who is leaving is incompetent and not capable of surviving. Face the facts - India is an extraordinarily unattractive market for foreign investors.

Have never been a bike fan - don’t even know to ride a bike. But I have friends with Harleys, and know how intensely loyal the HOGs are to the brand. So this is not a decision that could have been taken lightly. The exit of Harley Davidson is just a harbinger of things to come.

And what it may do is cause Indian consumers to become even more risk averse while buying cars and bikes. Does it make sense to buy products of any low volume manufacturer when our policies make it difficult for them to survive? And Boards tend to move in Droves - when GM, Ford, and Harley exit India, and Toyota chooses to halt investments, I am sure the boards of Renault, Nissan, VW, Volvo, Jeep et al will be asking what they are doing here. We seem to be heading back to the world where we had to choose between the Ambassador, Fiat, Standard Herald, and Maruti. Let’s see how this develops. Not a good day for India.
Hayek is online now   (57) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 00:01   #25
BHPian

What ever happened to the partnership Harley Davidson was considering with either Hero or Mahindra? Got scrapped?

IIRC, they were more inclined towards Mahindra (rumour), and that some paperwork had also proceeded.
A.M. is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 00:27   #26
Senior - BHPian

The next motorcycle manufacturer which might be looking to re-evaluate their India journey might be Triumph, considering their sales has been on a decline for a couple of years now.

As for Harley leaving, yes India is a tough market and not an attractive investment destination yada yada.

However, Harley is the motorcycle equivalent of Lincoln, a dying American brand kept alive with some new strategy and a shot of botox, every few years. They have been on the downhill for many years now oscillating between attracting the "young generation" but also making products which need to accepted by the old folks in the flyover states.

Goodbye!

The market is now wide-open for Royal Enfield who has shown how it is done.

The motorcycle brand that has been making all the smart moves over the last few years is Kawasaki. Its sales graph has been rising over the last few years at the expensive of players like Triumph, Honda Dreamwing, Ducati and BMW. Some of those "niche" players too will be exiting the country soon, I think.

Last edited by avishar : 25th September 2020 at 00:28.
avishar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 01:51   #27
BHPian

Only a couple of weeks back their social media handles were asking people not to believe in such rumours, when people were asking for an official comment regarding this news.

Harley no longer commands the adoration it once did, atleast in India. Moreover, given the overall global situation that Harley is in, I think it makes sense for them to become leaner and figure out a new strategy for the company.
adityak7 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 02:39   #28
Senior - BHPian

A smart Indian manufacturer would look to buy the machinery, tooling, paperwork for the RevoX V-twin engine manufactured in Bawal, Haryana! Its a well engineered powerplant, it has lots of potential despite HDs quality contro issues.

HD gets some much needed loose change, continued parts/engine supply and also keeps vendors/workers happy.

Mr.Lal think of all the time and money saved instead of having to develop one from scratch and also the peace of mind for customers who would otherwise become beta testers!

The Concept KX with an enlarged 900cc RevoX engine, what's not to like. A brilliant progression in the global markets after the success of the 650 twins.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attac...014-photo8.jpg

Last edited by shortbread : 25th September 2020 at 02:49.
shortbread is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 04:55   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
We seem to be heading back to the world where we had to choose between the Ambassador, Fiat, Standard Herald, and Maruti. Let’s see how this develops. Not a good day for India.
Exactly my thoughts. We will be left with Maruti, Hyundai, Kia, Tata and Mahindra in some years. I wish I could be wrong.

I am bit worried another way. Some of the 70 people affected from closing manufacturing operations are my ex-colleagues/known to me. So bit hard to digest, though there are 12 months, it is not a good time to search job.
MaxTorque is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 07:01   #30
Senior - BHPian

Well, this was meant to happen. HD India is too small for the management to bother. With most of their rider base have already left for the heavenly abode or are too old to ride and millennials just don't have the time, energy, space, and money to regularly tinker with these motorcycles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanjohn123 View Post
Really sad news to hear but the market in India is tough and unfair.
Maybe , but I don't consider the Indian market tough. Limited is the term I'd use for the Indian market. Due to taxes and high cost, there are a limited number of segments that companies can actually make money in.

For example: Ford's F-150 - a H-U-G-E truck by Indian standards sold 900k units in the USA in 2019. I'll be surprised in Ford can move ~2500 units of the F-150 in India. Must note, the Figo and Aspire are reasonably successful as they are the in the right price segment.

Similarly, HD really can't sell 1800 cc bikes in India. We just don't have the roads to cruise in them. Had they sold well built 350 & 500 cc motorcycles, they'd been pretty successful. Unfortunately, HD USA hasn't understood the customer preferences and got the product wrong for a few decades now.

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 25th September 2020 at 07:02.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks