Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2020, 17:10   #76
BHPian

Re: Harley-Davidson exits India!

Harley will remain in India through Hero MotoCorp. Hero to sell, service the motorcycles.

https://www.livemint.com/auto-news/h...796998055.html

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com...w/78891759.cms

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-r...ia-Market.html
Old 10th November 2020, 19:52   #77
Distinguished - BHPian

Dealers in India consider legal action against Harley Davidson

I dont think any of us will be surprised to to see this bit of news.

Quote:
Dealers in India for Harley-Davidson Inc said on Tuesday they are exploring legal action against the iconic American motorcycle brand after it effectively exited the market as part of a broader restructuring plan.

A number of dealers have hired leading Indian law firm AZB & Partners to review their paperwork with Harley-Davidson and suggest if there is a legal remedy, Rishi Aggarwal, a dealer for the motorcycle company, told reporters.

“Harley has to compensate us for our losses. That is the only bone of contention. AZB is studying the case,” he said during a press conference organised by The Federation of Automobile Dealers Association (FADA) in India.
Quote:
FADA said it typically costs between 50 million and 80 million rupees ($673,682-$1 million) to set up a Harley-Davidson dealership. Compensation being offered by the company is around 10% of the investment, it estimates.

“They have come back to us with some numbers but it is not even 10% of what we are looking for. It is peanuts,” said Arjun Bafna, who has been a Harley-Davidson dealer for 10 years.
As I have been saying from the beginning, it is not easy to shut shop and walk out of a country and Hero would have got a sweet monetary deal to handle operations on behalf of Harley Davidson going forward. But the dealers are understandably miffed at what has happened, even if they knew it was coming for quite some time.
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 03:23   #78
BHPian

Its really sad what the HD dealers have to go thru. Glad somebody has taken the effort to put their side of the story:

Haroon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2020, 08:06   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haroon View Post
Its really sad what the HD dealers have to go thru. Glad somebody has taken the effort to put their side of the story:

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=ZBrPajqWWak
Just dessert for the guys who refused to stand behind their 750 customers during the brakegate fiasco.
Red Liner is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th December 2020, 18:29   #80
BHPian

Just got news that Harley is cutting down on its dealer network in the Middle East also. They are not renewing the agreements for the dealers in Bahrain, One of the UAE dealer, Lebanon, Morocco etc. mostly related to rapidly falling sales

Read on a HD forum, smaller HD dealers in Canada are also being terminated.
Haroon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2020, 14:06   #81
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

A photo can say a Thousand words. How about this one.

Where we could be in a few yrs.

Aren't most old genuine Harley Dreams already fulfilled in India?
Attached Thumbnails
Harley-Davidson exits India!-img20201214wa0016.jpg  

ACM is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 15:04   #82
BHPian

Please advice
So a friend of mine is in Bangalore and owns an Iron 883. Its a 2016 make and done around 7k kms. He has gotten it upgraded to Stage 3 Harley upgrades as well. But he has no time to ride it at all due to his business and other commitments.

So recently he wanted me to help him sell it or bring it to Mumbai and keep it with me and use it. Now I have ridden his bike in Bangalore in loved it, but it is impractical for Mumbai traffic and heat and would eventually be a Sunday morning rider. Also I had not planned on buying any bike anytime soon so even if I bring it here and use it, I will eventually need to dispose off the bike.

Wanted your opinion on a few points
  • Should I just bring it here and use it for sometime.
  • With the new Hero Harley partnership, should I be worried about spare parts.
  • Do you know of anybody in your contact willing to buy the bike, my friend is expecting around 5.5 lacs for the bike.
  • How difficult would it be to flip the bike here in Mumbai.

Also if anybody out there is interested in getting the bike, just reply and I should get you connected to the owner. The bike is in Bangalore in Mahadevpura and is KA registered.
Old 14th March 2021, 22:03   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puneetakhouri View Post
[*]Should I just bring it here and use it for sometime.
It doesn't seem like you want to take it so that's what you need to decide, if you then yes.

Quote:
[*]With the new Hero Harley partnership, should I be worried about spare parts.
Most service parts are readily available, you shouldn't have an issue there.

Quote:
[*]Do you know of anybody in your contact willing to buy the bike, my friend is expecting around 5.5 lacs for the bike.
Tell him to list it on the HD groups, he'll find a serious buyer faster that way.

Quote:
[*]How difficult would it be to flip the bike here in Mumbai.
Why bother with the hassle of bringing it to Bombay, if the goal is just to sell it anyway?
VellVector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2021, 23:12   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VellVector View Post
It doesn't seem like you want to take it so that's what you need to decide, if you then yes.
You are quite right. So the thing is that the friend offered to send the bike to me so that at least it keeps running and then he wanted me to eventually buy it. However, I had never planned for such a scenario and would not like to plonk so much of my money on a bike. But the idea of keeping the bike tempted me. So I told him that I cant buy it myself but can help him sell it off while I hold the bike.

Quote:
Most service parts are readily available, you shouldn't have an issue there.
Thanks for that.

Quote:
Tell him to list it on the HD groups, he'll find a serious buyer faster that way.
Seems like a good idea!

Quote:
Why bother with the hassle of bringing it to Bombay, if the goal is just to sell it anyway?
As I mentioned above, it was a temptation to have the bike for sometime and then flip it off, but it would be quite selfish on my part to do that. Otherwise there is no reason to bring it here at all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks