Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th April 2007, 21:01   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
Though something tells me that there are a few hidden twists to this ..which we will only figure out when one of us does go and imports a SBK !!!

It definitely can't be that simple or CAN IT ???
If u are doing it ,then they will squeeze you for sure , better leave it for dealers or the manufactures to bring it ,untill then wait
Old 17th April 2007, 01:04   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Damn - that 800cc rule is made for the builders of the chromed pumpsets.
HAHAHA.....i agree. Fartleys are definitely for the poser types. No offence to the poser types (NOT!!!!!!!)

On another note, what about individuals who want to import a bike? i remember the rule saying something about individual imports?
Old 17th April 2007, 07:40   #18
BHPian

Superbikes from Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Harley Davidson coming to India

Prospective car buyers in India already have a wide variety of higher end cars available to them to choose from. Now, there is some good news for the sports bikes fans.

The Indian government has now allowed import of bigger bikes with engine specifications of 800-cc and above. US based Harley Davidson has already announced their plans to import and sell their super bikes in the Indian market.

They could face challenge from existing players in the Indian market including Yamaha, Honda and Suzuki.

Market sources say that Suzuki is planning to import their GSX-R1000 and GSX-R750 for sale in the Indian market. Yamaha Motors is likely to launch YZF-R1 and YZF-R6 by the end of the current year.

Honda is already the biggest seller of motorcycles in India in collaboration with Hero Honda. They would also be launching their higher end motorbikes in India.

The government has one strict condition in place for these bikes. They would have to meet Euro-III emission norms.

Superbikes from Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, Harley Davidson coming to India
Old 25th April 2007, 17:46   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogesh sarkar View Post
Not before this, all the superbikes in India are illegal. Simply due to the fact they can’t pass stringent emission norms and without homologation process they can’t be registered legally.

Finally there will be legal import of superbikes in India.
I must correct you on that. Not ALL superbikes in India are illegal. There are a handful of people out there who have paid the full duty, along with penalties to buy and own a superbike legally in India. And then, there are a handful of those who have actually used their own TR to get in bikes and own them.

Suzuki has been legally a few (less than 10) SBKs in India for sometime now from their own dealerships across India. These have to be legal, suzuki wont have such a big risk of selling illegal bikes in India
Old 25th April 2007, 17:56   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
I must correct you on that. Not ALL superbikes in India are illegal. There are a handful of people out there who have paid the full duty, along with penalties to buy and own a superbike legally in India. And then, there are a handful of those who have actually used their own TR to get in bikes and own them.

Suzuki has been legally a few (less than 10) SBKs in India for sometime now from their own dealerships across India. These have to be legal, suzuki wont have such a big risk of selling illegal bikes in India
Ok, let me rephrase that, almost all of the SBK's imported in India are illegal.
Old 25th April 2007, 17:57   #21
Team-BHP Support

Also remember, a bike brought down on TR can be legally sold and transfered after a fixed period of time (3-4 years??). Hence, the older bikes, once transfered on your name, and providing they have been correctly imported and declared, are now perfectly legal.

Its only the latest/greatest that come on TR in the name of some poor laborer and sold to others that are illegal. As per the law, you must transfer the vehicle in your name within 60 days (or 30 days! forgetful day for me?!), which is something they obviously cannot do.
Old 25th April 2007, 18:06   #22
BHPian

i wonder what will happen to all those dealers in cities across india selling brand new bikes for 9-10 lakhs..bringing them 'parts' and selling them as bikes!
Old 25th April 2007, 20:20   #23
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Finally a lil divine light on the SBK import scene, guess we wont be left dry forever after all...wonder how this is gonna impact current sbk markets in India? for instance the bikes that WE pay 3L odd for would resale at? after the import scene kicks in.
Old 25th April 2007, 20:45   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeroid
Damn - that 800cc rule is made for the builders of the chromed pumpsets.
Well put,Steer!
Guys, Today TR bikes are considered "legal" by buyers/dealers compared to the atrocity of bringing in spare parts of SBKs and fixing them back like LEGO toys.
Anyways,Let me check around about this new 800cc rule.
Old 25th April 2007, 22:28   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroxx View Post
.wonder how this is gonna impact current sbk markets in India? for instance the bikes that WE pay 3L odd for would resale at? after the import scene kicks in.
It won't have an effect on the older bikes for quite some time. The main areas affected would be the recent imports which are under TR. Why would someone by a bike which he can't legally register in his name when he can get the same bike for a similar price with totally clear papers.

The day the duties are lowered will be the day prices fall.
Old 26th April 2007, 03:41   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post

IF they are legal then how did they pass emissions. The emissions was the main sticking point for Harley. Duty is still the same what ever it was.
Old 26th April 2007, 04:27   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
IF they are legal then how did they pass emissions. The emissions was the main sticking point for Harley. Duty is still the same what ever it was.
You didn't read it properly. No Homologation required for bikes above 800cc = No Emissions testing = No problem!
Old 26th April 2007, 07:27   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
You didn't read it properly. No Homologation required for bikes above 800cc = No Emissions testing = No problem!
I think Mpower means before this order was passed, after all even if some one is bringing a bike on TR it would still have to pass emission tests before being allowed to be registered.

In case of Homologation a bike would need to be left at ARAI for three months (note 100% sure on the time frame) to be tested and certified by them. This is the reason I wrote previously that all SBK's in India are illegal.
Old 26th April 2007, 11:28   #29
BHPian

Quote:
I dont think homogolation is necessary for individuals bringing in bikes thru TR. They just need to show the TR proof, pay the duty and bring in the bikes. whereas, when a company is bringing in a huge number of bikes, from a commercial point of view, then homogolation comes into play.
Old 26th April 2007, 11:34   #30
Team-BHP Support

I believe this is the current regulations for Imports which came into force in 2001. Parts of it have now been amended as per the first post of this thread.

The import of vehicles shall be subject to the following guidelines of the Government of India:

1. (I) A new imported vehicle shall mean a vehicle that: -

(a) has not been manufactured/assembled in India; and
(b) has not been sold, leased or loaned prior to importation into India; or
(c) has not been registered for use in any country according to the laws of that country, prior to importation into India.

(II) The import of new vehicles shall be subject to the following conditions:
(a) The new vehicle shall-
(i) have a speedometer indicating the speed in km / h;
(ii) have right hand steering, and controls (applicable on vehicles other than two and three wheelers);
(iii) have photometry of the headlamps to suit "keep-left" traffic; and
(iv) be imported from the country of manufacture.

(b) In addition, the new vehicle shall conform to the provisions of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 and the rules made thereunder, as applicable, on the date of import.

(c) The import of new vehicles shall be permitted only through the Customs port at Nhava Sheva (Mumbai), Calcutta and Chennai.

2. (I) A second hand or used vehicle shall mean a vehicle that :-

(a) has been sold, leased or loaned prior to importation into India; or
(b) has been registered for use in any country according to the laws of that country, prior to importation into India;

(II). The import of second had or used vehicles shall be subject to the following conditions:-
(a) The second hand or used vehicle shall not be older than three years from the date of manufacture;
(b) The second hand or used vehicle shall:

(i) have right hand steering, and controls (applicable on vehicles other than two and three wheelers);
(ii) have a speedometer indicating the speed km / h; and
(iii) have photometry of the headlamps to suit "keep left" traffic.

(c) In addition, the second hand or used vehicle shall conform to the provisions of the Motor Vehicle Act, 1988 and the rules made thereunder, as applicable, on the date of import.

(d) Import of second hand vehicles shall be allowed only through the customs port at Mumbai.

(e) The second hand or used vehicles imported into India should have a minimum roadworthiness for a period of 5 years from the date of importation into India with assurance for providing service facilities within the country during the five year period. For this purpose, the importer shall, at the time of importation, submit a declaration indicating the period of roadworthiness in respect of every individual vehicle being imported, supported by a certificate issued by any of the testing agencies, which the Central Government may notify in this regard.

(f) The vehicle has to be submitted for testing to Vehicle Research and Development Establishment (VRDE), Ahmednagar, of the Ministry of Defence or the Automotive Research Association of India, Pune or the Central Farm and Machinery Training and Testing Institute, Budni, Madhya Pradesh, and such other agencies as may be specified by the Central Government, for granting a certificate by that agency as to the compliance of the provisions of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988 and any rules made thereunder.

Last edited by Rtech : 26th April 2007 at 11:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks