Team-BHP > Motorbikes > Superbikes & Imports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2021, 21:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

2021 Triumph Speed Twin teased, global unveil on June 1

Triumph Motorcycles has teased the latest generation of the Speed Twin, and will be unveiled globally on June 1, 2021.

2021 Triumph Speed Twin teased, global unveil on June 1-smartselect_20210525211601_chrome.jpg

2021 Triumph Speed Twin teased, global unveil on June 1-smartselect_20210525211614_chrome.jpg

2021 Triumph Speed Twin teased, global unveil on June 1-smartselect_20210525211626_chrome.jpg

2021 Triumph Speed Twin teased, global unveil on June 1-smartselect_20210525211639_chrome.jpg

Triumph describes the new Speed Twin as Evolution In Every Dimension.

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th May 2021, 15:26   #2
BHPian

Re: 2021 Triumph Speed Twin teased, global unveil on June 1

Great news for a fan like me! Hope this means an India launch is imminent in 2021. But I guess unveil is not the same as launch. And then there is a separate India launch! Ah, the joys of marketing.
Old 26th May 2021, 17:06   #3
BHPian

I hope they launch this simultaneously in India along with the global launch. The previous bs4 version was taken off the Indian market without any warning!
This would be an ideal 2nd bike for daily use.
Old 26th May 2021, 18:41   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidbp View Post
I hope they launch this simultaneously in India along with the global launch.
I hope so too. Since the launch will be remote (online only) anyway, there shouldn't be any logistics or resource requirements for country-specific unveils and launches. Also going by the Trident launch playbook, we can expect at-least 2-3 months between unveil and India launch.
Old 26th May 2021, 19:12   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidbp View Post
This would be an ideal 2nd bike for daily use.
Isn't this bike a little overkill for a daily ride bike

This bike is best suited for nice highways where the engine can showcase it's power. Else the Street twin is a better choice for city use. This one might burn your err tender parts in city traffic.
Old 26th May 2021, 19:18   #6
BHPian

Excellent news. I was about to book a T120 (mostly for occasional highway rides and city usage). I will wait for the launch which according to the sales person I am in touch with said might happen in 2 months after global unveil.
Old 27th May 2021, 07:48   #7
BHPian

This is my favourite classic that Triumph makes. It is very good news that it's coming back. Cannot wait to see the new colour schemes and revisions.

Between the Speed Twin and the R Nine T, we are spoiled for top of the line classics.
Old 27th May 2021, 08:37   #8
Senior - BHPian

It will be interesting to see how this is positioned if launched in India. The previous machine, one of my favorites, turned out to be a sales dud in India with hardly a handful sold, even though the pricing was actually not too bad.
Is it the lack of the big bike look? In-spite of the performance being far ahead compared to the T120 with the same but detuned engine, it could not match the sales figures. For people looking at pure performance, there may be other bikes from competitors or maybe from within Triumph itself (say Street triple). Maybe there is no market segment for this bike.
I keep thinking whether to upgrade to this from my 2015 A3 Bonneville (which continues as my darling)

Last edited by dinu2506 : 27th May 2021 at 08:39.
dinu2506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2021, 09:13   #9
BHPian

MCN has gone ahead and leaked everything. Someone uploaded an image of the 2021 SpeedTwin in place of a StreetTwin.

Seems like an exciting update. Most noticeable are the new paint scheme / graphics, a new USD fork setup which could be from the Thruxton R but with a black finish. Possibly even the radial brake calipers from Thruxton R. Wheels also look newer and possibly lighter than they already are.

2021 Triumph Speed Twin teased, global unveil on June 1-speedtwin1.jpeg

2021 Triumph Speed Twin teased, global unveil on June 1-speedtwin2.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post

This bike is best suited for nice highways where the engine can showcase it's power. Else the Street twin is a better choice for city use. This one might burn your err tender parts in city traffic.
It's the only bike I own and honestly this is far easier to ride than the Street Twin. Way lighter, easier to turn in with a sharper rake and back out from road side parking.

Engine heat was not a big issue to begin with - Your legs are further back from the engine. I did the x-pipe conversion with new exhausts and a booster plug to completely remove any heating issues in traffic. Better brakes are a huge boon on our roads too.

I bought the bike in Sep 2019 and from what I can tell, I got a pretty fantastic deal making it cheaper than the Street Twin that a colleague bought a few months before me. I paid full price but got free amc, extended warranty, accessories, EMIs written off and tons of other goodies back.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 27th May 2021 at 23:12. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thanks.
adrena is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th May 2021, 15:27   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf1983 View Post

In fact, the smaller compact size of this bike coupled with the slightly forward riding posture make this an ideal city bike as well as a weekend highway runner.

I had done an extensive test ride on one earlier and had almost pulled the trigger; but then opted for a 2019 versys 1000 as I was keen on touring.

But seeing the new pics, Im sorely tempted now!
Old 30th May 2021, 10:31   #11
Senior - BHPian

New Triumph Speed Twin global premiere link

2021 Triumph Speed Twin teased, global unveil on June 1-20210530_102923.jpg

Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 13:19   #12
BHPian

You could wait for this or...
  • 3bhp more power
  • Non-adjustable but clearly upgraded front forks
  • Matte colour schemes
  • New graphics
  • Slightly heavier than before
  • Better handling but with a steeper rake angle
  • Better brakes
  • No change in electronics
This should be the summary of what is to come later today at 4.30pm
adrena is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 17:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

2021 Triumph Speed Twin revealed

Triumph has unveiled the 2021 Speed Twin, packing more performance than before.

The updated Speed Twin features new 12-spoke alloy wheels that are wrapped in Metzeler Racetec RR tyres. It gets an analogue instrument cluster featuring a digital screen, new graphics, anodized aluminium headlamp mounts and swingarm, upswept exhausts with brushed aluminium finish, new mudguard mounts and brushed aluminium side panels and heel guards.

2021 Triumph Speed Twin teased, global unveil on June 1-20210531114825_speed_twin_1.jpg

Powering the Speed Twin is a 1,200cc, parallel-twin engine that revs a bit higher and makes slightly more power thanks to a 17% reduction in inertia as a result of a new crankshaft, balancer shaft and cam profile. The engine puts out 99 BHP @ 7,250 rpm and 112 Nm @ 4,250 rpm. The bike gets three riding modes – Rain, Road and Sport.

2021 Triumph Speed Twin teased, global unveil on June 1-20210531114825_speed_twin_4.jpg

On the chassis side, Triumph has changed the steering geometry. The bike gets new 43 mm Marzocchi forks at the front and twin rear shock absorbers with adjustable preload. Braking duties are handled by dual 320 mm disc brakes with Brembo 4-piston calipers at the front and a 220 mm rear disc with a 2-piston Nissin calipers.

2021 Triumph Speed Twin teased, global unveil on June 1-2021triumphspeedtwinunveiled2.jpg

The service interval for the 2021 Speed Twin is 16,000 km. The bike is likely to arrive at our shores later this year.
TusharK is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 10:04   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Im not very sure I understand how Triumph has positioned this updated bike. Some specs are top of the line / near race spec, while others arent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
The updated Speed Twin features new 12-spoke alloy wheels that are wrapped in Metzeler Racetec RR tyres.
This was not expected. The Racetec RR tires are positioned as "Racetrack & Road Racing" tires on the Metzeler website. They probably are an overkill for what the bike is capable of doing. I doubt that they will last that long in Indian conditions.

I did a quick forum check and found that owners of the BMW S100RR (admittedly not a direct comparison to a 1200cc big twin motorcycle) get around 5,000 to 7,500 kms on it. So anyone here who is interested in buying the lovely Speed Twin, should account for a Rs 35k to Rs 45K expense to replace the tires in the first couple of years (considering typical usages of big bikes in India).

Here is the link to the S1000RR forum

Quote:
The bike gets new 43 mm Marzocchi forks at the front and twin rear shock absorbers with adjustable preload. Braking duties are handled by dual 320 mm disc brakes with Brembo 4-piston calipers at the front and a 220 mm rear disc with a 2-piston Nissin calipers.
Its not just any Brembos that have been installed at the front. Its the M50s. Also, the front Marzocchi forks are non adjustable. It seems strange, considering that Triumph threw on really sticky tires and fantastic brakes on this bike.

Quote:
The service interval for the 2021 Speed Twin is 16,000 km. The bike is likely to arrive at our shores later this year.
Even the new Trident comes with a 10,000 mile / 16,000 km service interval but Triumph India has shortened it to just 10,000 kms for us. I wont be surprised if they do just that for the Speed Twin as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrena View Post
This should be the summary of what is to come later today at 4.30pm
Surprisingly accurate!
neil.jericho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2021, 10:44   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
This was not expected. The Racetec RR tires are positioned as "Racetrack & Road Racing" tires on the Metzeler website. They probably are an overkill for what the bike is capable of doing. I doubt that they will last that long in Indian conditions.

I did a quick forum check and found that owners of the BMW S100RR (admittedly not a direct comparison to a 1200cc big twin motorcycle) get around 5,000 to 7,500 kms on it. So anyone here who is interested in buying the lovely Speed Twin, should account for a Rs 35k to Rs 45K expense to replace the tires in the first couple of years (considering typical usages of big bikes in India).
Yes, definitely an overkill and if one plans to put in many kms right from day one then they are looking at tyre expense sooner than later.

But on a positive side one can thank Triumph for offering best rubber straight from factory so the user can determine for his usage pattern and riding style what balance one should workout between grip and longevity.

Also, it tells a lot about the positioning of the bike defending on the tyre offered from factory in this model looks like Triumph wants its riders to carry the SPEED even in tight corners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Its not just any Brembos that have been installed at the front. Its the M50s. Also, the front Marzocchi forks are non adjustable. It seems strange, considering that Triumph threw on really sticky tires and fantastic brakes on this bike.
The design team head Stuart mentioned that all the changes/improvement are based on customer feedback but I really wonder customers demanded radially mounted M50 Brembo calipers over standard mounted calipers. Seems like the assembly line worker actually fitted parts meant to be for the Speed Triple
SnS_12 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks